S2E01 --the mirror and the 251 typewriter

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

S2E01 --the mirror and the 251 typewriter

Postby Lord Brad III on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:44 pm

I know this board here doesn't get a lot of traffic, but I had to get this down before I forgot. It's rather small though, but may be important.

Has anyone else picked up on the reflection with this mirror?
The man is typing his messages, which are obviously being read by someone else in the alternate-reality, and instantly, I might add (IM lol).

They make a hugely obvious point to show us that the keys in the reflection's/mirror's typewriter are moving while the ones in This Reality are not.
I thought that was very, very cool and very creative. And THEN I noticed something weird about the reflection:
The guy makes a point to put his right hand down on the right side of the typewriter.
In the mirror, the reflection shows his right hand ALSO on the RIGHT SIDE of the typewriter.
Basic knowledge of mirrors :P tells me that we should have seen the reflection as having it appear as if his hand were set down on the LEFT side of the typewriter.

My meaning is this: the image in the mirror WAS NOT REVERSED. You raise your right hand to a mirror, your reflection raises his left. Then it clicked: It's obviously not a mirror, but a window, except one through which they can only communicate by the 251.
That, together with the fact that it was shown to appear as a mirror, leads me to believe that the shapeshifting dude was communicating with his alternate-reality self.

I thought at first it might have been William Bell, which it still could be, but since everything was EXACTLY the same in the mirror as it was in this reality, and NOT reflected, it might mean that this guy was talking to himself. Reporting to himself to see how events in one reality were matching up with another. Just a thought I had. Thought I'd share.
"We're good and lost now." Barbossa
"Lost?!" Elizabeth
"For certain, you have to be lost to find the places can't be found; elseways everyone would know where it was." Barbossa [Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End]

---------
'Are you completely doubtless that you are nameless?' He asked.‘Positively certain.’ 'Positively certain.'‘Would it be Mick Barry?’’ 'No.'‘Peter Dundy?’ 'No.' 'Scrutch?’ 'No.'‘Lord Brad?’ ’ 'Not him.' ... ~The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
Lord Brad III
Star Billing

Location: 423 Miles To The East Of Here...At Least I Think It's East...

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: S2E01 --the mirror and the 251 typewriter

Postby Devil's Arcade on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:57 pm

Awesome observation there mate. :thumbup:
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:02 pm

Oh wow Lordbrad! that is AWSOME! Great catch! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know there are alot of easter eggs in there new promo add...alot of alice in wonderland references! -So this is pretty awsome!

I have some stuff or theories of things I am putting together based on the comic books and an idea about a genetic lineage structure or rather, gap/missing links or genetic imprinting, from one reality to another....but I haven't had alot of time to work on it...but I am really glad you found this and that maybe you can 'heat up' the Fringe threads with some more of those good ideas of yours! (like the stuff on the predictions thread was also VERY facinating!)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Lord Brad III on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:49 pm

:D
Much obliged, friends! I will absolutely keep posting ideas, because Fringe is now becoming deep enough for me to spend less time worrying about LOST in this hiatus and more about Fringe now that it is actually back (but given Lost spoilers...uh oh!)

I've been wondering if anyone else out there had been thinking about the show in the same ways as I have, and I just discovered that Fringe Forum board, so maybe there can be some action there, but I'd love for it all to take place here, with all our favorite shows on our favorite STV boards ;)

Thanks for the kind words, though, and I look forward to speculating the hell out of this show with you guys (spoilers or not!) this season. My main problem (so far) with talking about Fringe is that I rarely see anyone else's ideas before I write my own down. Whereas like Lost I search before to see if someone posted something similar.

Anyways I LOOOOOVED this premier and this show has taken an even greater dramatic & creative turn!!! :thumbup:
"Lost?!" Elizabeth
"For certain, you have to be lost to find the places can't be found; elseways everyone would know where it was." Barbossa [Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End]

---------
'Are you completely doubtless that you are nameless?' He asked.‘Positively certain.’ 'Positively certain.'‘Would it be Mick Barry?’’ 'No.'‘Peter Dundy?’ 'No.' 'Scrutch?’ 'No.'‘Lord Brad?’ ’ 'Not him.' ... ~The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
Lord Brad III
Star Billing

Postby JacobsMom on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Good ideas as always Lord Brad!! :thumbup: I love Fringe and I think it will keep doing well with the way they are writing for it now. I am excited that it may be another good show to turn to once Lost is over with... :cry:

I had assumed that this typewriter was the way these "others" (can't think of a better term for them yet!) could communicate with the other side/dimension. I'm not so sure if he is communicating with his own "self" in this dimension but is getting his instructions as what to do in this dimension. We see "him" type in that he has completed his mission of killing off Olivia but "they" type back that he failed. So whoever "they" are, they can see what is going on in this dimension since they knew that Olivia survived the car crash. I guess I am looking at this typewriter and place as a means of communication with the "bad others" of that dimension. They send over these shape shifters to do some assignment and it seems to involve something that Olivia has learned from William Bell.

I'm not so sure that William Bell is the bad guy yet. He gave Olivia information in that dimension but when she returned, the bad guys need to kill her off before she reveals it to anyone else. I think that the fake Charlie will now try to follow Olivia around trying to get the location of whatever "they" are looking for or kill her before she remembers what happened to her.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Lord Brad III on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:10 am

^Valid points to be sure, JM.

Walter's and Olivia's memory jumbles seem to be closely related, for fairly obvious alt-reality-related (lol) reasons.

Touche...the guy might not have been communicating with his alt-self, much less Bell himself, but my point was that the mirror was not showing "equal and opposite" as it were...more like "same ****, different day" kind of stuff.

Olivia will eventually become a TRUE liaison (as she was literally made to be right from the pilot episode), except between realities now. Due to Sam Weiss's ambiguous "Have the headaches started as Nina said they would? They will...", leads me to believe Olivia will end up much like Nina or Walter or some amalgam of these types of people (shape-shifters included), and once she learns how to handle her super-powers, like Neo from the Matrix, she will be able to adeptly bring both sides (realities/factions?) to a nexus. If not, then to a point of elimination or purge for one side or the other. But that is a point FAR off in this series. There are smaller, and much more pressing, matters for us to watch right now. :)
(Sorry it's late and the pub was lively). Whatever she remembers, with or without help, will most definitely be dangerous to either Walter or Bell, depending on how we are shown these pieces of the puzzle (such as the completion of the conversation between her and Bell that was begun in S1's finale).
:sleep:
"Lost?!" Elizabeth

---------
Lord Brad III
Star Billing

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]