[Official] Fringe News and Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Fringe News and Discussion

Postby supermodel on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Over in the spoiler forum, we have been posting a lot of actor interviews, news stories etc. Most of them do not contain spoilers, but we have not had an appropriate place to share them over here.

Would you guys be interested in using this thread to post and discuss things like actor interviews, how Fringe is doing in the weekly ratings, and other "spoiler-free" news items? Like this one!

Fringe is having a charity auction at Meltdown Comics in Los Angeles this coming Sunday, October 24th. John Noble, Jeff Pinkner, and Joel Wyman will be in attendance, as will other show writers and comic writers. Iconic Fringe artifacts and props will be on display, and prints of the alternate universe comic covers (episode 2.22, “Over There – Part Two”) will auctioned off. The specially designed alterverse event will also give fans the opportunity to get autographs from Noble, Pinkner, Wyman and other show writers. Proceeds from the event will benefit Autism Speaks.

http://www.fringebloggers.com/the-fringe-charity-auction-event-sunday-oct-24th-5-9pm/

That particular article is safe to read, but if you explore the rest of the Fringebloggers site you could run into spoilers.
supermodel
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Fringe News and Discussion

Postby DarkUFO on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Good idea.

I've just changed the title to make it official.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:50 am

Excellent thread! :thumbsup:

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 pm

update and pics from last week's Fringe auction in LA:
http://blogs.laweekly.com/stylecouncil/2010/10/comics_from_the_other_side_fri.php

ETA
From the Hollywood Reporter:
DVR playback ratings are bumping up the numbers for shows that have faced faltering audiences, such as NBC's The Event and Fox's Fringe, the New York Times reports.

[snip]

Parenthood and Fringe's numbers grew by more than 40 percent after DVD ratings were added, likely keeping them from cancelation.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/most-watched-tv-show-among-32840

And finally, to kill the hiatus ... Fringe Quiz and Fun Facts.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarkUFO on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks for the cool photos.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby supermodel on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:45 pm

John Noble gave a recent video interview about the challenges of playing both Walter and Walternate. I don't know if the whole video is safe for viewing, I haven't seen it yet. But this little excerpt is A-OK. From digitalspy.com:
"Fringe" Star: Walternate is a Challenge
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:02 pm

TV By The Numbers still feels Fringe is a toss-up for renewal:
Any mention of either Fringe or Lie To Me ratings or prospects brings out legions of their fans filling their bingo cards with excuses why each show shouldn’t be cancelled. Although both shows’ ratings are woeful, they were almost as bad last season and both were renewed.

Why would Fox keep either show around for next season? Have they simply given up trying to get better ratings? Has Fox’s development process gone so totally off the tracks that they don’t think they can do better? We’ll have to wait and see.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/02/fox-lie-to-me-has-fox-given-up-trying-to-do-better/70633

-- Merged Double Post --

From our freinds at Airlock Alpha:

Fox Standing Behind 'Fringe,' Showrunners Say
"We're very, very pleased with the show that we're making right now," said Jeff Pinkner, one of "Fringe's" showrunners with Joel Wyman, according to E! Online. "Fox has [been] nothing but wonderful and supportive. Entirely. From creative point of view, from a numbers point of view, everything. There has been no grumblings at all -- quite the opposite -- and we have decided that we would rather turn out a show with perhaps a slightly smaller fanbase, but one that's really really passionate bout the show, and not worrying about gimmicky stuff."

The linked article is totally spoiler-free, but the last sentence invites you to click a link and read some very spoilerrific stuff at E! Online. Don't be tempted!
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:24 am

Thanks, supermodel. Sounds like Pinkner isn't worried about the show being canceled at all. Good to hear. :thumbup:
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby supermodel on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:52 pm

yeah, I hope he's right becuase the number hit a new low this week. From Airlock Alpha:

"Fringe" hit a series low this past week, scoring a 3.0 rating/5 share in Fast National overnight ratings from The Nielsen Co., losing 45 percent of its "Bones" lead-in on Fox Thursday, and marking the first series low since, well, a year ago.

And that is significant because both series low -- the previous was a 3.1/5 exactly a year ago -- seemed to come off of weak outings by Fox in the shadow of the World Series from Major League Baseball coming to an end.

If that is the common denominator here, then it might not be all bad news for "Fringe." Last year, after that low, the show starring Anna Torv, John Noble and Joshua Jackson, made a 19 percent audience jump back to its previous levels, and would finish the season with a 3.9/6. Fans need to hope that the old "Battlestar Galactica" axiom of "It happened before, and it will happen again" will in fact do that here.

Read the full story: http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/8009/fringe-hits-series-low-in-world-series-hangover.html
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby LOSTMeggy on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:18 pm

I need more FRINGE!!!! Please don't be cancelled... :(
"I've missed you so much..."
LOSTMeggy
Stunt Double

Postby supermodel on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:02 am

supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:07 am

Underscovers as it turns out is not Abrams fault. In an interview released 2 day prior to NBC's cancellation, it was revealed that the network and Reims were the one holding Abrams back as this interview announced BIG changes coming to Undercovers such as, serialization, mythology, and heavier character developement as we were to delve into the characters back stories. Sad that we should see these changes in the last remianing 5 episodes and that NBC didn't give these changes a chance!

Here's the link to the article: ********WARNING!!!!!! Article has some spoilers about the remaining UNDERCOVERS Episodes!!!
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Undercovers-Boris-Kodjoe-1025017.aspx

Back in July at the Television Critics Association conference, Reims was adamant about avoiding the heavy and complex mythology storytelling Alias was so well known for (see: Rambaldi). Although the first several episodes have been largely self-contained, Reims was persuaded to delve into the Blooms' history by Abrams.

Undercovers' Ben Schwartz on Agent Hoyt, action stunts and improv in the spy world

"When I sat down with J.J. way back at the beginning of the show, I had said something along the lines of, 'Let's not confuse the audience completely, like Alias.' He agreed whole-heartedly," Reims recalls. "Of course at some point he said, 'But you know we have to do some mythology right?' There's no getting him away from his mythology."

So I don't think we have to worry about him in the future. The few works slated for next year sound pretty good and I can't imagine them being really bad :
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Alcatraz-rumors are: mystery drama, Odd Jobs-Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson as former black opps agents-comedy/drama, Person of Interest -Co created with Jonas Nolan-Crime Drama

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Great news from Deadline Hollywood:
Fox's Fringe will make its new time slot premiere on Friday a week earlier. In the Fox midseason scheduling announcement last month, Fringe was slated to debut in its new Friday 9 PM berth on January 28. It will now premiere on January 21, following the season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares.

supermodel
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:28 am

After seeing a trailer for the movie "The Fighter", I now understand why we haven't seen Ella on Fringe since she is the little girl in this new movie. I suppose her schedule for being in the movie didn't work out for more Fringe episodes. Hope to see her back on Fringe once the new episodes start again. :)
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby supermodel on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi everyone. I am back from my holiday travels, I know you all missed me.

Fringebloggers has a nice roundup of some year-end praise for Fringe. It made a lot of "top ten" lists.

As one year ends, a new one begins. But before Fringe looks ahead to 2011, it rides out on a wave of praise so big that it’s enough to make Olivia blush.

FRINGE Rides Out 2010 On A Wave of Praise
supermodel
Show Expert

Next

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]