[Official] Fringe Ep. 4.09 Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Fringe Ep. 4.09 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:43 am

"Enemy of My Enemy"

9:00PM

Discuss the latest Fringe Episode here.

FRINGE DIVISION FACES NEW CHALLENGES ON AN ALL-NEW "FRINGE" FRIDAY, JANUARY 20, ON FOX

Peter's visit to the other side intensifies as the alternate FRINGE division faces off against a formidable new foe in a harrowing race against time in the all-new "Enemy of My Enemy" episode of FRINGE airing Friday, Jan. 20 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-409) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee

Source: FOX

Check out Fringe on SpoilerTV

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 4.09 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks, Panda! -And Welcome Back :D

I liked the episode, but it's not my favorite compared to many episodes that came before this season. Of course I love seeing another version of Jones, who so far isn't a shapeshifter as I thought, since part of what Peter tells Jones about another Jones is still true and his palse spiked! --But I was right that Nina Sharp and Massive Dynamics are involved, and she seems like she is in the road of Walternate or Brandonate...

In both red universes Brandonate and Broyles die, so curious that they both become shapeshifters 'here', but I wonder if Peter will make the connection with the red Broyles?

I was trying to think of what Jones and Shapeshifter's goal would be by blowing a whole in the universe(s), since he can cross over...Going back to the 2026 vision of some other timeline from "The Day We Died", prompts me again to think of The End of Dayers and their black hole in central park, which is how many Peters and/or versions of the first people have gone 'back' in time and dismantle the machine, only to create a new timeline where once again people come to reassemble the machine and eventually this situation starts all over again.

So one thing that could be clear is that making a bridge isn't necessarily a cure-all, since this timeline somehow already has one, but one thing that isn't clear is what happened to The End of Dayers in the 2026 timeline? --Did they use their Central Park black hole too?

Additionally I thought before back at the end of season 1 that maybe there ends up being several different black holes made in other timelines and that the soft spots all related to that. If that's the case, then it's possible that differently located black holes may take us to different time periods with in any one given timeline! --It could be that the shapeshifters, Nina, and/or Jones have some kind of time-war-like agenda with the history of their universe...

These leads me back to the fact that the shapeshifters tried to kill Peter in "Back to When You've Never Been". I had a good reason, other than just the hint from "Hard Copy" (prequel comic) that Nina might be in some way behind this, as she suddenly went to Walter's lab, the man who clearly dislikes her, the minute she heard of Peter's arrival! This leads me to believe that their timeline also must have an awareness to 'a prophecy' of Peter, and she point blank fears his existence...the effect he could have on her plans...

I really like being able to our characters interact together and have some that weren't in Peter's timeline, come to be on the same side 'here'. Additionally Red Elisabeth holds true too in being strong! Orla Bailey again gave such a wonderful performance and it was so unexpected to see her cross over and talk to Walter!

Also just had an epiphany! Most likely another Observer has taken September's place, the one we saw at the beginning of the season...If there is any logic here, then this should be October ("One Night in October"), as August comes BEFORE September, and October comes AFTER September! :w00t:

-But maybe I am right about Jones being a shapeshifter...maybe because they are closer to human, they can obtain, or be given (like blue Olivia at the beginning of season 3) another person's memory! -Maybe this is what Jones is going to do, make a clone of himself in case something should go wrong. (He mentioned this whole thing made him feel like a parent)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Xindilini on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Everything that is happening is being manipulated by Nina Sharp and Massive Dynamic.

Am I the only one to believe that Colonel Broyles is not a shapeshifter? Even if he was doing Jones' bidding, I think he may be acting under duress. The look of disdain on his face, when David Robert Jones asked for tea in interrogation.
Xindilini
Stunt Double

Postby JacobsMom on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:31 pm

"Enemy of my enemy"

I didn't really enjoy this episode as much until I rewatched it a second time. Fringe is such a complicated show that sometimes the second viewing helps bring everything in focus much better.

I still think that Broyles is a shape shifter. Jones needs people inside to help him, like Brandon, so I can't imagine why this Broyles would be willing to help him even under some other condition. Jones will be back again and we know that this Broyles will be vital to helping Jones with "phase 2". I don't believe that Nina is a shape shifter but that she has been a part of this long range plan for many, many years. Olivia is key to whatever they are planning and Nina made sure Olivia was under her control many years ago.

Jones is a very, sick man. That was very apparent in the interrogation room. He needs to accomplish something else to help himself survive completely. I think there is more to his plan than we know about, other than blowing holes in universes. He wants a perfect society. We saw that in the scene between Other Olivia and Lincoln Lee as Jones kills off his last shape shifter woman. I believe this is what one of his goals is, to make a shape shifter world that he can control with his army. Nina is a part of this goal but she too may not know all of Jones final plans. Like any "mad scientist" there is never room for other partners in crime. Nina may be only needed until he gets what he wants. Once he becomes completely "cured" of his universe hopping, I think she will also be eliminated.

As much as Peter wants to get to his real home universe, I think he was always meant to come to these. He is somehow the missing link to each and every one of these universes. I still think that by saving Peter in our universe, it had to happen for all of them to survive at the very end. Through that mistake that Our Walter and This Walter both made, I believe that this had to happen no matter what. One of the Peter's had to survive even though none of them were suppose to.

I loved that this Other Elizabeth was Walter's white tulip in this episode. He is the example of what Our Walter would be without Peter and all those events that saved him. Beautiful scene between them both there at the lab. Of course, it would also have never happened if this Walternate was not who he became. This Walternate is a good guy who changes events all on his own. He even saved Lincoln Lee's life before Broyles could take care of him with that needle!

I loved the twist of the mistaken quarry. It is just another example of little differences in each universe that were caused by minor changes through some act. I liked that Peter was the one to figure out what happened and it brought Peter and L.L. back to the right quarry with the team. Also, a nice special effect of Olivia's car being cut off in front!

So now we have the two universes working together at last. Isn't this about where we left off in Our Universe before Peter disappeared?? :lol: I do like the fact that Peter is the catalyst between these two universes and it will be important for him to help them defeat Jones. Could this also be something that Peter must accomplish in order to bring change/order to the other set of universes where no one seems to want to cooperate? :hmm:

Favorite scenes:

Peter talking to Jones in the interrogation room.
Walter comes to see Peter at the house to let him know he has changed his mind due to Elizabeth. :wub:

Good lines:
"Perrrfect." Jones
"Because you don't know me or what I'm capable of. But if I'm willing to do that to someone I love dearly, imagine what I'll do to people I "don't" care about." Jones
"Take me to your leader." Jones
"Something about the air on this side, it tastes sweeter." Jones
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:11 am

Xindilini wrote:Everything that is happening is being manipulated by Nina Sharp and Massive Dynamic.

Am I the only one to believe that Colonel Broyles is not a shapeshifter? Even if he was doing Jones' bidding, I think he may be acting under duress. The look of disdain on his face, when David Robert Jones asked for tea in interrogation.

Could be...but his eyes look weird at times... :hmm:

The only reasons I think it's true is because,
1. Both Red Brandonate and Broyles died in our time line, and now red Brandonate has already become a shapeshifter, so it makes sense that Broyles might follow suit.

2. In the 2026 timeline, the past-futurist blue Broyles had lost his eye and had it replaced, making him appear "odd-eyed" (forshaddowing)

These shapeshifters MO is that they are "odd-eyed" and in the prequel comic "Hard Copy" a reporter goes and examines Massive Dynamics new cloned chicken, curtousy of Nina Sharp. The reporter discovers the only way to tell the clone apart is that it is "odd-eyed". By the end of the comic, she too has been replaced by a clone of herself.

Technecally we can say any being that shares some origin DNA) and/or appearence could be a clone/twin/copy...so Observers, dopplegangers, and shapeshifters can all fit that description/idea.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 pm

I enjoyed this episode a lot, in fact I thougt it was the first really great ep of the season. I have had a hard ime feeling invested in these two "new" universes and now dammit they made me care!

I think there could be a subplot brewing. I suppose Nina and Broyles could both be shapeshifters, or they could be working with Jones and they are all evil. But I think those answers are too simple. One alternative would be that Jones thinks he's got them on his team but at least one of them is working deep undercover or is conning him. Another posibility is that Broyles and Nina are working with Jones willingly, they are philosphically committed to his objective, but it is not necessarily evil. Maybe whatever Jones is up to he believes it is for the greater good and he has convinced Nina and Broyles too.
supermodel
Show Expert

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]