[Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm

supermodel wrote:WJames said:
RDJ being reduced to a mere pawn and dying so quickly was expected but I think they executed it very poorly.

I thought this episode was not very good and DRJ's demise was really disappointing. After being the evil bad guy for multiple seasons, he's reduced in a matter of seconds to simply being Bell's henchman and his death was kind of boring, not at all the spectacular sendoff this character deserved. I feel like they sacrificed his charcter to show off Olivia's ridiculous powers which include operating Peter's body like a robot.

I have always found her powers are interesting because she can't control them. Remove the limitations and I am nervous about where this story goes. Yes we know she has to be frightened to use them, and seeing Peter in danger frightened her, but this was a bit much. Apparenly she is like a demigod now and can control people's bodies. And anyway who would believe that Peter can't take Jones in a fistfight?

And all this new technology seeming like magic is hard to swallow, I agree with you guys that I appreciated at least had the pretense of an explanation. I am perhaps more irritated than you, DL, but your choice of the word "magic" really explains my feeling.

And William Bell is fundamentally a different man that the one we have come to know. Last time we saw him he gave his own life at the theater, and now he is a megalomaniac bent on destruction? WTF?

And I agree with WJames, the blatant product placement is distracting. The fleet of Nissans was awful (first of all I think USG agencies are required to buy American) and that Sprint thing this week sort of jarred me out of the show for a sec. I understand it is necessary especially in a show that loses money, but it was just so obvious and bad. I wish product placement could be more integrated and less distracting.

So yeah, for me this was not a great ep.

About William Bell...

If this reality would get destroyed in the finale and Peter would return back to his original time line, then the representation of "this" William Bell would have to reflect Peter's time line's Red William Bell (was said to have "died in a car crash"). Even though it appears as a parallel along side plane, I believe it gave Peter (and the audience) insights for things to come.

There are all kinds of rearrangements of characters that did not "match" our previous time line, like Olivia's shrink for instance in season 4 was on 'the blue side', where in season 3 she was on the red side...So more and more I feel like this reality and facing death is what Peter needs in order to save Olivia and Astrid, and the rest of humanity in the future presented to us in 2036...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby JacobsMom on Tue May 08, 2012 5:47 am

"Brave New World-Part One"

I sort of lost interest as this episode went on. I wasn't even that surprised to see William Bell resurface again with all of the warnings from Walter in the last episode. The only thing that shocked me was at the end and having Astrid shot by one of Bell's workers. :( It happened so quickly and then we just get creepy William Bell showing up to see Walter. BTW, what's up with Bell's toupee?? Is this so the viewers can distinguish him from the original William Bell character? :lol:

I did go back and rewatch the episode too but it just didn't help. I liked the cool idea of having the people infected with the nanites and how people figured out to stand still to survive. I felt like we had a quick cure from Walter though. It just seemed like everything was rushed during this whole episode. Just as I was getting interested in Jessica Holt and her heroic deed of letting Walter use her as a guinea pig, it was all over and Olivia was sending her home. There was no doubt that Jessica is a part of Bell's plan to test Olivia with these little experiments. At least Jessica survived, Jones was not so lucky this time.

Poor Jones turned out to be a pawn imo. Bell used him to get things done to a certain point and then it was over. I was also sort of disappointed in the quick downgrade of his character. He made such a good "bad guy" that it was almost sad to see his character go out like this on the show. We believe all along that he is the one in control and then poof...he gets wiped out in a weird fight with Peter. :huh: I also wondered why half his face burned off too? Was that some nod to what happened to him the last time he tried to escape during our old time line? :unsure:

So I'm assuming that Olivia has become Bell's treasured weapon. He is somehow activating her "powers" from the cortexiphan so that he can use her later on in his war against the world. I kind of thought the scene of her helping Peter fight Jones was silly too. In fact, just after the guards showed up and made her drop her gun, I had the quirky idea that she was thinking of leaping across to the other building Superman style! :lol: At this point, Olivia seems to be turning into some kind of super hero and I'm not sure how I like that idea.

I did enjoy the scene between Bell and Jones as they talk about the chess board and the pieces never moving. Bell tells us that this has been in motion for 40 years so I am assuming it goes back to Walter and Bell's beginnings together. We get the feeling that this is the Bell who would write ZFT manuscript and really believe in it. I think there will be some explanation as to who this Bell is as opposed to the one Nina mentions. Maybe this Bell is from the Red Universe all along and the real Bell did kill himself in the car accident as Nina says he did. All I know is that this Bell has been playing a very, very, very long con! :lol:

The whole scenario with the satellites reflecting the suns energy was another odd thing that happened quickly. I guess I was expecting Olivia to have to shut it down with her mind somehow but even the conclusion was as simple as both Peter and her turning them off at the same moment. :thumbsdown: Instead, Olivia uses this special connection to Peter so he can save himself from Jones and his crowbar of death! :roll:

Overall, it was nice to see Nimoy back on Fringe for the season finale. I loved all the little jokes from Walter and the fun between Astrid and him. As for Astrid, I hate that she got such a cool moment as she tries to save Walter but then she gets shot right after that. :( It looked really bad for her which made me sad to see her character end up like that. I'm not sure if I can forgive tptb if we have to go into season five not knowing if Astrid survives or not.

Fun stuff:
Olivia mentions a nursery which should be an indication of 2036!

Astrid being a "mother hen" to Walter. :wub:

The interaction in the scene between John Noble and his actress daughter. :thumbsup:

Walter smelling the log book at St. Claire's!

Easy Bake Ovens and lemon cake!

"Alex" and peace out!
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Tue May 08, 2012 2:08 pm

Even though I think everything we're discussing: the fantastic and slap-bang nature of these things, I'm sure it's intentional to convey that this reality is really different and possibly non corporeal...I also did not really like Olivia telekentically maneuvering Peter *out of the blue* (no thematic build up), until I thought about it for a couple of days...She was puppeteering him, as if he were a marionette. When I think back to the season 3 episode with the title "Marionette", I think about the Frankenstein idea of bringing the dead back to life (like this season with DRJ) and more specifically how hurt Olivia was that Peter didn't know she wasn't there, that Peter didn't know who Olivia really is, and this reality has partially been about Peter now knowing whom Olivia really is.
Now that Rebecca Madder is here, I def think "This Place is Death".

More and more it's becoming clearer that this whole 'sanario' is like a bad dream, where nothing needs explained. (Very Alice in Wonderland--which Jefferson Airplane was playing in the background a few episodes back. ) and nothing as it seems...

Also Note:Current Promo's title and previous finale title was "End Game" --In Alice in Wonderland Alice plays 'the game"...then at the end of the game, Alice goes "Home"...

Peter since LSD has been able to tell Olivia apart from her counterparts by looking in her eyes...The Billy Idol Song referenced in BNW pt 1, Eyes without a face plays to that "It's gone from your eyes, I'd better realize". In "Marionette" it's the same thing. Roland Barrett felt despair after he reanimated Amanda, because he looked into her eyes and saw they weren't the same as they once were...

IMO everything starts to fall apart at "A Short Story About Love", because it's really sort of silly idea: stealing love energy, --something very Twilight Zone (and after Brown Betty and Felicity's the Heart of the Forlorn I should have seen this coming sooner)

And the minute Walter called Astrid Alex, I should have known what was coming, but totally didn't!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 pm

when that satellite was shooting energy into the building or whatever the hell was going on, I was immediately reminded of "Independence Day."

supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue May 08, 2012 6:40 pm

supermodel wrote:when that satellite was shooting energy into the building or whatever the hell was going on, I was immediately reminded of "Independence Day."

Me too! :lol: -which there have been a lot of "alien" hints (again advanced technology/foreign technology = magic)...Jessica Holt and Walter both acted like they were foreigners from foreign lands (which parallels Brave New World/The Tempest)

At this point I think they should cast T. Welliver and T. O'Quinn put them in suits and shades, make them Observers and give them flash/wave guns. The Episode title could be: Here Comes The Men in Black ;)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Wed May 09, 2012 1:20 am

supermodel wrote:And William Bell is fundamentally a different man that the one we have come to know. Last time we saw him he gave his own life at the theater, and now he is a megalomaniac bent on destruction? WTF?

Yep. Same thing crossed my mind.

JacobsMom wrote:As for Astrid, I hate that she got such a cool moment as she tries to save Walter but then she gets shot right after that. :( It looked really bad for her which made me sad to see her character end up like that. I'm not sure if I can forgive tptb if we have to go into season five not knowing if Astrid survives or not.

See, this didn't really have an impact on me cause I figure she has to survive since we saw she was one of the Fringe team encased in the amber. It felt like Jack's appendicitis all over again to me. :D

JacobsMom wrote:Walter smelling the log book at St. Claire's!

Loved it! My favorite Walter moment of the episode. :thumbsup:
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby supermodel on Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 am

Yeah, I feel like Astrid is going to make it because Charlotte works in an emergency room and she is going to be back next week, and also we saw cortexiphan grow a cake back together. So one of those is probably in Astrid's future.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 pm

I made a Season 4 Finale Prediction Thread If anyone wants to guess and weigh their final thoughts :) :
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=23426

supermodel wrote:Yeah, I feel like Astrid is going to make it because Charlotte works in an emergency room and she is going to be back next week, and also we saw cortexiphan grow a cake back together. So one of those is probably in Astrid's future.

Of course this reality has been getting more insane all the time, I could be wrong, but I think it's too easy to have Astrid get revived. I think it's a red hearing, -the latest version of cortexiphan. I think everything is working toward the end of the world. "Letters of Transit" may not be the future of this time line...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri May 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Just want to wish EVERYONE,

A Very Happy FRINGE FRIDAY-SEASON FINALE!
:thumbsup: :rockon: :batman: :cyclops: Image Image Image Image Image Image :afro: Image Image

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat May 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I was wrong.- John Locke

Brave New World Pt2.

Although it seems Robert A. (a STV main site member who I discuss with a great deal :) ) and I were both way off the mark here, I still think some of our ideas could still resurface at the end of season 5.

I personally felt that the story was anti-climatic, because so many things have been introduced over the past 4 or 5 episodes, with little to no explanations and because like in season 1 and 3 those things are again left unresolved, as William Bell escapes and all versions of the shapeshifters are left out in the wind.

But moving away from the strangeness of that, there are some interesting pieces of technology and time travel issues to discuss.

First there is September. I always felt it should have been possible to have seen August again, if in August past he visited in anywhere in someone else's future....September tells Olivia he has no memory of warning her, because he had yet to time travel 'back' to tell her. The problem with this lies in making a time line more constant, because other wise I would think that time traveling anywhere with in the construct of time, would give the possibility to create an alteration to it from that point on. So the question then becomes is September in a loop, or will it not matter and he may even erase his own future actions by having knowledge that some other version of himself had already done this? How can they keep up with their own projectories? Did September create a different immediate future by warning her and telling Peter things?

This whole thing takes me back to the beginning of the season where Walter had been discussing "the effects before the cause" and the season continued to have characters who could see the future ahead of time...in "And Those We Left Behind", Peter had thought maybe he was the cause of this, which is also when I believed Peter had gone to a past iteration of his time line and this backwards effects were because of his time displacement.....

This leads me to Jessica Holt and the Observer laser lock symbol (stasis rune). September had mentioned that he was surprised that Jessica and presumably William Bell had 'this kind of ADVANCED technology. This ties back to the beacon (The Arrival) and then also when Peter used the beacon to unlocke this universe so September could get in. I had often suspected a Temporal Cold War, people and technology from one end of the time line, bringing it back in time that leads to magor alterations...Perhaps it's that idea that causes the two Purges...And the Observers may have tried to save us, but ultimately come to abuse us?
It's curious, as September seems to know that they are already coming, but is that the same version of himself we just saw? -or the after the lock-out version?

The past few episodes have had other things...the machine performing a completely new function, Olivia becoming a super hero, Cortexifan subjects manipulation their counterparts, half cloned shapeshifters, animal shapeshifters, home made dinosaurs, using Olivia to absorb enough energy to collapse universes, a man who seduces women and steals their energy, and then all the nods to networks, bleed through's, echoes, and time and space displacement...somewhat go unresolved as Bell teleports himself away. What will he do next? Is he in a war with the Observers?

I am assuming all of this crazy stuff is meant to have it's full meaning in season 5, but for now it doesn't seem to mean a great deal.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Sat May 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Meh. I though this episode was OK but not great. Over the past four years we have come to expect spectacular season finales. This is the series that gave us that incredible closing shot pulling back from the twin towers, Peter disappearing in the machine, etc., and this one just didn't measure up.

With that said, I think the problem is the writing. The writing has been confusing for the last several episodes but I think it's not really the writers' fault. They were forced to write a final story arc/final episode that could serve as either a season finale OR a series finale. So perhaps they were hamstrung from the start, they were trying to achieve multiple goals and that is never a good place to start.

And I agree 100% with DarthLocke on this:
I personally felt that the story was anti-climatic, because so many things have been introduced over the past 4 or 5 episodes, with little to no explanations

Again, I think we are victims of the cancellation bubble. The story was rushed to a conclusion and there wasn't time to adequately develop and play out the details.

So in that sense I think this episode plays better as a series finale than as a season finale. (Funny, I said the same thing about Lost.) If this is where it all ended I could have been satisfied, not happy, but emotionally satisfied. But as a season finale, this last couple of weeks has been a mess.

If Fringe had been renewed early and they knew it was coming back, I think I would have preferred they skip E19 (the stuff set in 2036) and just end this season with September saying "they're coming." That would have been the awesome "holy cow" finale we expect from this show. Then the S5 season premiere is the 2036 episode, and they're starting off the season with a bang.

But, the TV business being what it is, this is what we got. I totally understand why it was necessary to run E19 when they did, because in the event of a cancellation we need the flashforward to show us where these characters go from here.

OK, so enough of that. Jessica Holt is one of the worst characters ever. She's an acolyte of William Bell, so close to him that she knows every detail of his plan, he trusts her with the most critical aspect (Olivia's final activation), she's perhaps more important than DRJ, and yet we have never seen her before? It's ridiculous. She was dropped into the story out of nowhere as sort of a replacement for DRJ. I think I could see a better-written scenario where we skip everything that happened last week with the nanobots and let DRJ survive the rooftop, just work it so that the final action with September is between Olivia and DRJ. That would have been an exit worthy of the character and would have not wasted our time on a throwaway guest star whose character has no real value.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby WJames on Sat May 12, 2012 8:54 pm

supermodel wrote:
Again, I think we are victims of the cancellation bubble. The story was rushed to a conclusion and there wasn't time to adequately develop and play out the details.

So in that sense I think this episode plays better as a series finale than as a season finale.

This, absolutely this!!!

Though, I really expected this kind of last episode so I wasn't surprised or disappointment much. It wasn't the best Fringe can produce, but it wasn't the worst. Somewhere in the golden middle with moments here and there that were absolutely precious (Rebecca Madder and her crazy eyes trickery was creepy and awesome at the same time though I agree with supermodel completely about the value of Jessica as a character. DRJ should have been in her place in the warehouse). Overall, a significant improvement over the last two episodes.

"WALTER: Well, meaning that she won't be able to run around setting things on fire or doing superhuman things. Excuse me, Miss. Is that Lemon Jell-o?

ORDERLY: These are urine samples.

WALTER: Oh, well, in that case, no, thank you. I'm more peckish than thirsty."

:rofl: :lol:

So, Olivia is mostly human again, though the baby got its dose of cortexophan.

from TVguide interview with Wyman and Pinkner:

"Especially because the "X Man" who was supposed to kill her — as we saw in last season's trippy animation episode — wasn't very obvious.
Wyman: Basically, when Walter was going through the Nanites. From that episode when she was in William's head, she said, "I know that's the man who's going to kill me." She had a feeling that when she was in William Bell's head, that there was a man and it manifested itself as a character in William Bell's head in the comic that they're experiencing and it had that emblem on it.

Then, ultimately, in this episode, you saw in the in the Nanites they had the emblem on it. When Walter recognized that that was William Bell's creation by that mark, because that was the mark that William used to mark things with. So really, in a sense, it was William Bell who killed Olivia. You could argue, saying when she came out of William Bell's head, she said, "That's the man who's going to kill me," it was actually William Bell."

So Bell is Mr. X

I also found this little part interesting:

"Before Olivia revealed to Peter that she was pregnant, she seemed to hesitate. Is there something she saw or something she learned when she died that will play into next season?
Wyman: You're very perceptive. Let's just say you will understand the hesitation."

So many questions flying around in my head, so many theories... But in the end what can I really say? Just this: I enjoyed this episode very much. Emotionally it was probably the most satisfying episode of Fringe ever. From every other perspective it was merely okay but a lot of it has to do with what supermodel wrote, that TPTB had to write it in a way that if the worst happened this would be series finale. Thankfully the extreme weirdness is yet to come in the last 13 episodes. :thumbsup:

from TVguide:

Wyman: We're so thankful. Four years of everybody working incredibly hard, people have put their heart and soul in this show, and by some amazing miracle, we get a chance to get more canvas to paint on, and it's like the biggest thrill and honor, and we're just going into it knowing that we're very fortunate.

The main concern is in no way shape or form are our fans going to be let down. That makes us feel really good that they're going to be able to see a conclusion that is emotional, that is epic, that is going to make sense, that they can emote with and go through our characters and watch them on their final journey and put this show away in a manner that is worthy to all the hours they've invested in our characters. The only thing it does is make the pencil be a little bit more sharp, that's all.

7.8/10
WJames
Guest Star

Postby DarthLocke on Sat May 12, 2012 10:07 pm

supermodel wrote:Meh. I though this episode was OK but not great. Over the past four years we have come to expect spectacular season finales. This is the series that gave us that incredible closing shot pulling back from the twin towers, Peter disappearing in the machine, etc., and this one just didn't measure up.

With that said, I think the problem is the writing. The writing has been confusing for the last several episodes but I think it's not really the writers' fault. They were forced to write a final story arc/final episode that could serve as either a season finale OR a series finale. So perhaps they were hamstrung from the start, they were trying to achieve multiple goals and that is never a good place to start.

And I agree 100% with DarthLocke on this:
I personally felt that the story was anti-climatic, because so many things have been introduced over the past 4 or 5 episodes, with little to no explanations

So in that sense I think this episode plays better as a series finale than as a season finale. (Funny, I said the same thing about Lost.) If this is where it all ended I could have been satisfied, not happy, but emotionally satisfied. But as a season finale, this last couple of weeks has been a mess.

If Fringe had been renewed early and they knew it was coming back, I think I would have preferred they skip E19 (the stuff set in 2036) and just end this season with September saying "they're coming." That would have been the awesome "holy cow" finale we expect from this show. Then the S5 season premiere is the 2036 episode, and they're starting off the season with a bang.

But, the TV business being what it is, this is what we got. I totally understand why it was necessary to run E19 when they did, because in the event of a cancellation we need the flashforward to show us where these characters go from here.

OK, so enough of that. Jessica Holt is one of the worst characters ever. She's an acolyte of William Bell, so close to him that she knows every detail of his plan, he trusts her with the most critical aspect (Olivia's final activation), she's perhaps more important than DRJ, and yet we have never seen her before? It's ridiculous. She was dropped into the story out of nowhere as sort of a replacement for DRJ. I think I could see a better-written scenario where we skip everything that happened last week with the nanobots and let DRJ survive the rooftop, just work it so that the final action with September is between Olivia and DRJ. That would have been an exit worthy of the character and would have not wasted our time on a throwaway guest star whose character has no real value.

I agree with almost everything you said. I'm not holding the finale against the writers, because I think they were pinned down, like you said, and I think as long as they use some of this material to solidify it later, it won't bother me in the end.

The only thing I disagree about is Jessica Holt...I going back to my belief in The Temporal Cold War, where Bell originally created the Observers and was in charge of the first, First People...Jessica Holt plays back to both John Mosley (knowledge of Observers and future tech they shouldn't have) and William Bell and ZFT...there are people whom are always willing to follow Bell's work in every time line...There are hints in the comics of Bell being preserved in a computer and Bell creating machines that can continuously work on themselves after he dies, machines that use his own DNA....Bell's signature has been found on SO many things in both time lines, that it seems inevitable since he is the more constant Mr. X (as everyone attempts to kill Olivia because of the destruction he creates...Walter, Walternate), that this whole deal with the Observers and how they make decisions must come down to him/them.

In the next few days I am going to be laying out the ground work and proof for such a thing.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sun May 13, 2012 4:05 am

"Brave New World- Part Two"

I did watch it again, but what the ?. I just feel that William Bell was added into the finale for tptb to supposedly give the viewers some sort of major "shock" value. I disagree. His character only came across as this crazy, old man who believed that Walter and him deserved some new world creation because of all they had discovered through their years working together in science. They were the Gods of their own science. This William Bell (definitely a Blue universe) seems to be the result of the "Peter less" universe. He claims that Walter was the one to who wanted to start the world over (destroy it) and that is why Bell cut out those pieces of his brain. I don't think that is what we learned from the earlier seasons was it? :unsure:

Another disappointment was the character Jessica Holt. I agree with supermodel that it would have been better to keep Jones around for this role and let Olivia finally kill him with her deadly catch and release of those bullets. Jessica came across as a whinny villain and her creepy, freak show in the lab was ridiculous, imo. Those eyes and that mouth!! :roll: For some reason I kept thinking of LOTR "The Return of the King" and the mouth of Sauron. One interesting thing I did catch was when Nina brings in her MD technology to the lab and she tells Peter he will have to someday tell her why he knew of this technique. Ahh...Nina, Walter had already discovered this back in our old time line with much more fun and laughable ways. ;)

This whole thing with Olivia and her super hero abilities with cortexiphan doesn't seem to jive with the first 3 seasons either. Yes, this William Bell was aware that Olivia was the key to him creating his own world but I felt it was kind of a quick fix for this story line of season 4. Who would have guessed that Olivia had THE "power" to destroy two separate universes? WOW....I guess it just comes down to this William Bell being a greedy, power crazed scientist who decides to use Olivia's abilities this time around for his own selfish purposes. Nothing at all like the man we saw who brings her over to his Twin Tower office in the other universe. I enjoyed the much kinder and gentler William Bell from before. :(

I'm glad that Astrid had her chance to live but why did Bell even care? He could have easily let her die since he was going to destroy the universes anyway. :unsure: This was poor writing imo and yes, we knew Astrid would live because of episode 19, but at least give her a better written part in the season finale. I did love the last scene between Walter and Astrid at the hospital where she gives him a Red Vine and he calls her Astrid at last! :) Sort of an odd setting with her having them in her robe but it was still sweet.

Nina seemed to be once again at odds with who William Bell really is or did she ever know for sure? I felt like her character has never really been developed properly throughout this show and once again she was only bringing in the secret tech from MD or being that caring mother who tells Olivia she's always "had the power all along". That was a line right out of the "Wizard of Oz" with Nina being the Good Witch and Olivia as Dorothy! :D I did enjoy the fact that Broyles hands over Fringe Division to Nina after we learn he is now officially a general.

Okay, maybe I missed something this season but was our Broyles always a colonel all along? Or is this some blending of the time line that was "Peter less"? I did get a huge kick out of that scene as he speaks to the man in Washington D.C. about the events that occurred. It almost seemed like a secret "thank you" to the FOX executives for letting Fringe have 13 more episodes next season! :lol: We hear the man say how thankful he is to Fringe Division for "saving the world" and how it will now become much more important with a new budget that is worthy of a top notch security division. And Broyles get to become a general now! I guess that correlates with what he was in last seasons flash forward.

Another quick reveal to set up next season with the announcement of Olivia's pregnancy. No surprise there but I'm betting she found out the baby had absorbed a nice helping of cortexiphan to her system! Which leads us right to 2036 and Etta's unique abilities. :D Loved most of those touching scenes between Peter and Olivia but I had a hard time with the scene where Peter is distraught over Walter shooting Olivia. Sorry, but J.J. didn't get that one quite right imo.

And last but not least...September. This poor "observer" never seems to get a break. Either he is trying to help correct his mistakes, or hiding out from his fellow Observers, or he is being held hostage on some weird glowing emblem in crazy Jessica's apartment! :lol: I loved the fact that even he can't keep track of "time". He seems to be lost in a maze of moments that he visits in some mixed up pasts and futures that he can't seem to control.

Fun stuff:
Walter and William looking at the vision of dino land...."Jurassic Park" style!
Olivia catching those bullets and returning them back to Jessica! :thumbup:
September walking back through time as he disappears.
Olivia grabbing Jessica and short circuits her brain! :thumbsup:
Walter slapping Peter to make him realize that Walter can save Olivia from death. :lol:
Walter whistling "Rock a bye baby" in the lab! :wub:
September is back to warn Walter that "they are coming.

:thumbsdown: stuff:
Peter scratches out the emblem to release September?
The whole bizarre scene with Jessica at the lab with the eyes, mouth and her speaking mumbo jumbo. :whistle:
The fact that Bell has a gun and bullets in a convenient case there in his office for Walter to use!
Bell's Ark full of weird replacement animals
Walter using a letter opener to make a hole for the bullet to come out of Olivia's brain.
Olivia's brain regenerating just like the lemon cake Walter tells Peter. :whistle:
Last edited by JacobsMom on Sun May 13, 2012 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby supermodel on Sun May 13, 2012 5:20 am

Well, we're all on the same wavelength. I agree wth JacobsMom on so many things, I had many of the same thoughts as I was watching the show.
I just feel that William Bell was added into the finale for tptb to supposedly give the viewers some sort major "shock" value. I disagree. He only came across as this crazy, old man

Exactly! I understand that with a different timeline things have changed, but most characters have remained essentially the same person, maybe with certain characteristics more amplified but basically the same. Yes, Bell always had a lot of hubris but it was temepered. Now he's just a maniac and maniacs are not all that interesting. I think you are right on with your suggestion that TPTB added him into the finale for WOW value in case it was the end of the entire series.
I'm glad that Astrid had her chance to live but why did Bell even care? He could have easily let her die since he was going to destroy the universes anyway.
Exactly! Who moved her to another location and called 911, and why? Bell was planning to wipe out the entire human race, so why would he allow Walter or any of his lackeys to waste their time saving her? It makes no sense. But of course I am glad she survived. In short I guess she is just too popular to die.
Okay, maybe I missed something this season but was our Broyles always a colonel all along?
Yeah, that was weird, I am pretty sure we have never seen anyone on the blue side ever call him colonel. And now he has been promoted? Why does he not have to wear a uniform? Since when do we have plainclothes generals? In the FBI?
that caring mother who tells Olivia she's always "had the power all along". That was a line right out of the Wizard of Oz
I immediately thought of the ruby slippers!
Another quick reveal to set up next season with the announcement of Olivia's pregnancy. No surprise there but I'm betting she found out the baby had absorbed a nice helping of cortexiphan to her system! Which leads us right to 2036 and Etta's unique abilities.
I didn't think of that, guess I'm not looking that far ahead, but you are totally right. It explains why Etta is able to block the Observers from reading her.
supermodel
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]