True Blood General Discussion

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

True Blood General Discussion

Postby Magic Box on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:35 am

New fan here! :w00t:

Some faces I love are already into this show, so I really feel like walking into home. :flowers:

In the void this last LOST hiatus created, I came looking for another show to watch. I chose this one on the basis that one of my favorite character on LOST (Benjamin Linus, ladies and gentlemen) has his wife playing a part in it. It felt ok to keep the LOST connection. ;)

Alan Ball doesn't do anything in half. I've watched Six Feet Under on DVDs and wasn't expecting True Blood to be all sweetness and innocence. I was expecting an overload of sex scenes, gore scenes, violence themes, and compelling characters. He did deliver. I'm all character oriented when it comes to stories, and this show does it good.

Favorite female: Tara. Interesting from the very start. Brilliant to a shame, just educated in the wrong environment, the wrong tools, and the wrong mother. She's different since Maryann, though, but boy can this girl kill you with a (well-deserved and well-served) word.

Favorite male character: a tie between Bill and Sam. (Sorry, all you Eric lovers, but he does nothing to me. So, no competition! :lol: ) The tie is because those two are seemingly extremes. Bill came from dark and is now trying to find his way within the light, if such a term can be used about a vampire. Sam is just a good guy, from head to toes and bones to skin, but I think that all that has happened to him will eventually have him live out his dark side. Yet, he' so gentle and comprehensive that I do root for him. I hope that the underlying message with his story isn't that kindness equals to being a loser. :scared:

Honorable mention to Jason. He's as dimwitted as his sister is, but somehow makes it more interesting - maybe it's just the gender thing that is at work here. :D

I'm not too fond of Sookie, unfortunately (what's with me and the lead females??? :lol: ) But I don't dislike her either. I find her a bit lacking in the brain department, but I do appreciate her fearlessness attitude when she confronts people to get an answer out of them.

Least favorite male is Andy, I hope the script sometime give him more depth. Up to now, this guy is a mere caricature of a sexless cop. I don't find him funny and don't love to hate him.

Special mention: Lafayette! Nothing to add, the name says it all. :wub:
ImageImage
Owner of Ben's red tie, Ben's Bendiana Jones outfit, Ben's bunny, and Ben's "Don't you read?" line.
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Location: Near the polar bears, far from the Frozen Donkey Wheel

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: True Blood General Discussion

Postby Ciubia on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:10 am

I'm glad you joined the True Blood madness, MB!!! :w00t:

Looking forward to discuss this show with you even though we disagree on the favourite characters thing! :P

And what do you think of Maryann? What does a complex girl like you, think of a mysterious character like her?

I haven't watched this week's episode yet, so I don't know what happens, but every week I love her caharcter even more! Apart from all my other favourites Eric, Lafayette and Jessica!
ImageImage
Ciubia
Emmy Nominee

Postby Bella on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 pm

OMG Yaaaaay, welcome, welcome, welcome!!! What are you up to? Have you caught up with everything so far?

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Joshjb on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:01 pm

Awesome! I'm not the only TB newbie!! :D Just finished catching up as well and absolutely love it. :)
ImageImage
Joshjb
Former Staff Member

Postby Bella on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Joshjb wrote:Awesome! I'm not the only TB newbie!! :D Just finished catching up as well and absolutely love it. :)

I TOLD YOU! :roll:

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby isabelle on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:11 pm

Glad you joined us MB! :thumbsup: :wub: I didn't used to like Sookie much in season 1, but I do now. She seemed very me, me, me last season but now I think she has improved a lot and is becoming one of my faves. :thumbup:

Are you fully caught up with the episodes? Which season do you like best so far?

I'm a little surprised that you don't really like Eric much cos for me, he reminds me a little of Sawyer, and I know how you love Sawyer! :P

ETA: And Josh, welcome to the True Blood fan club as well! :thumbsup:
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:20 pm

YAY! More Truebies! :w00t: Welcome aboard, Magic and Josh! :thumbsup: I'm so glad you have joined us... now you can never leave! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :P

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Joshjb on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:17 am

Bella wrote:I TOLD YOU! :roll:

I KNOW! :wub:
ImageImage
Joshjb
Former Staff Member

Postby Nick on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 am

I watched it from the beginning, when there were like...1.5 million viewers an episode. And I agree with most of the stuff you've said.

Tara's probably my favorite female (although Jessica is creeping up on her quickly, and I'm very captivated by Maryann), and I'm really interested in where they are going with her character. She's sure getting herself into some deep ****. I do miss her attitude from Season 1, but I'm liking the newer, more controlled Tara. Sookie is kind of a hit and miss for me. I liked her in the first few episodes of Season 1, but her character went downhill and I couldn't really stand her for awhile. Though I'm liking her in these last couple episodes.

I like Sam, Eric, and Lafayette for male characters. Bill can be pretty boring though, and I think he's way too protective of Sookie instead of letting her make her own choices. Jason is a total dumbass but I liked him and his storyline in the first season with him being a suspect and with psycho Amy. Now, his storyline is my least favorite, and he's kind of annoying me.

Anyhow, I really like the direction that things have taken since the beginning of Season 1. Things are getting really crazy, and they are so much more complex than they were in Season 1. I mean, then, some of the biggest problems were Lettie Mae's drinking habit and a relatively simple murder mystery. Now we've got Maryann wreaking havoc and taking over Bon Temps.
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby Magic Box on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:36 am

Thanks for the welcome, everybody. It's such a well written piece of endearing characters that it's a bliss on a silver tray for character-oriented fans such as us LOST fans. :thumbsup:

Ciubia wrote:IAnd what do you think of Maryann?

Maryann, as the True Blood version of Benjamin Linus, gives one just the right chills and level of intrigue. She is so wonderfully played by Michelle Forbes that I'm in full girl crush right now. :wub:

We'll learn, hopefully, if as in LOST she really is ambiguous and not only on the evil side. We've only been given a glimpse so far, and nothing about her own motivations, so it's only our imagination and theories at the moment. Maryann needs a flashback. :lol:

Bella wrote:What are you up to? Have you caught up with everything so far?

Indeed! Took a marathon watch last week, really needed to replace LOST with something engaging and chose this one because of Alan Ball and the connection to LOST through Carrie Preston. I watched Six Feet Under on DVDs last year, and this guy fears nothing in terms of writing and showing, doesn't he? :scared: I thought that Alan Ball + vampires must range in the O! Positive! kind of fluid. :lol:

Joshjb wrote:Awesome! I'm not the only TB newbie!! :D Just finished catching up as well and absolutely love it. :)

How cool is that! Newbies come in pairs. One of us has fangs, but we won't tell. :lol:

isabelle wrote:I didn't used to like Sookie much in season 1, but I do now. She seemed very me, me, me last season but now I think she has improved a lot and is becoming one of my faves. :thumbup:

I see what you mean. Although, the "me, me, me" attribute isn't something that bothers me as much I guess. My problem is more about her lack of thinking, she's more the reactive than the planning type. Her mission's failure in the last episode has a lot to do with her own lack of carefulness and under use of her power. But she's ok, no way I dislike her.

isabelle wrote:I'm a little surprised that you don't really like Eric much cos for me, he reminds me a little of Sawyer, and I know how you love Sawyer! :P

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear, isabelle. I like him a lot, very interesting storyline, well played. My comment was more about the attraction factor shared by other female viewers - blondies do nothing to me, having fair hair myself. I never was attracted to Sawyer either, but that doesn't prevent him from being high on my list. Hope it's clearer now. I always go to the dark ones, like Desmond and Bill. (Ok, Desmond needs a guest spot on that show - Desmond with fangs! "See in another kind of life, brotha!" :w00t: :wub: *fans self*)

isabelle wrote:Which season do you like best so far?

How can you tell? Which is yours? I'll have to wait for the end of the second one to decide. Even then, it's a bit hard considering that the first season of anything is where the main plots and characters are planted, so the story telling is always different than it is during the following seasons. But so far, pretty much both equally, but I dig the different storylines of the current season. We feel an upcoming collision lurking around... woohoot! :w00t:

Do the producers know how long it will last? :S

PandaVamp wrote:Welcome aboard, Magic and Josh! :thumbsup: I'm so glad you have joined us... now you can never leave! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :P

Someone here has chains in her basement! :scared: :lol:
ImageImage
Owner of Ben's red tie, Ben's Bendiana Jones outfit, Ben's bunny, and Ben's "Don't you read?" line.
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Postby Ciubia on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:12 am

Believe me when I say I'm crying reading your post... But it's a cry of hapiness! How I missed reading your imaginative posts! Oh joy! We finally found something to talk about again! :lol:

I think I'm in full girl crush over Michelle Forbes too! She is playing Maryann in an awesome way! I really liked Tara in season 1 but in this season it feels like her story is building up to something but it never gets there and I'm starting to loose interest over her! The only thing I want to know is what Maryann wants with her, maybe after we find out I'll enjoy Tara again!

A like all characters, even Sookie, but she and Bill might be my least favourite! They don't appeal to me that much but after this episode I hope that with this new Fellowship of The Sun storyline we'll get to see Sookie in a different way and I think that the reunion between Jason and Sookie might be good for both characters.

Eric is just so mysterious I can't help but be intrigued by him and I do find him sexy! I think that there's more than meets with eye him much like Sawyer in the beginning, I really want to learn more about him!
ImageImage
Ciubia
Emmy Nominee

Postby Finli Otego on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:26 am

Just awesome to see some new fans 'round these parts! :thumbup:
And from what I understand, Magic Box, Ball is planning on basing each season on a book for as long as HBO still wants it.
There are, I believe, 9 books right now, with 3 more being written... :w00t: :thumbsup:

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Nick on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:38 am

Yeah, and if that's the case, we should have a pretty long running show on our hands. 12 books. :) Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Hopefully the show will maintain its quality.
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:55 am

Magic Box wrote:
PandaVamp wrote:Welcome aboard, Magic and Josh! :thumbsup: I'm so glad you have joined us... now you can never leave! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :P

Someone here has chains in her basement! :scared: :lol:

Oh, how did you find out? :whistle:
:P I'm pretty, pretty happy you're a Truebie now, so I don't want to let you go...

"I'll see you around, I'm sure..." ;)

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Magic Box on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:56 am

Twelve years on a show is some contract for an actor. Tell me they're not filming in Hawaii. :lol:

Ciubia, no idea where they are going with Tara either. Her sole storyline now is connected to Maryanne - well, almost, as we see much less bar scenes this season. I suppose it is getting somewhere for Tara. We don't know yet why Maryann has such a strong need to get a hold of her, but we're still at the very beginning I think. This is a story that takes its time to unfold.

I too find that the Sookie/Bill couple is lacking a bit, but... no, I'm not going to take sides for this show, no. :rofl: Let's take the story as it comes, thank you very much.

Nick wrote:Bill can be pretty boring though, and I think he's way too protective of Sookie instead of letting her make her own choices.

But Sookie needs someone to help her think. She's reactive, on top of being trusting and naive. Bill still has a good influence for avoiding some of the dangerous pitfalls she so voluntarily runs into.

Many viewers seem to find Bill boring since he's so dark (as in he never smiles) and offers a contained speech. To me, he's like a mud pond: immobile on the surface, but a lot of nasty things going on under the surface. His last flashback was quite telling. Also, he seems to be the kind that can be pushed around for a long time... before a cosmic and unforgettable explosion ensues. I haven't read the book, but if someone has and want to start something in the spoiler section, I wouldn't mind knowing more in advance. :devil:

Nick wrote:Jason is a total dumbass

Isn't he? :lol: "God wants us to have sex, Jason." Jason: quickly unzips, all blood only available for man's second brain. Jason Stackhouse, abstinent - dead before being born. He provides good entertainment, though, and I do find him endearing. Maybe he will get to learn from his mistakes and evolve.

Nick wrote:Now we've got Maryann wreaking havoc and taking over Bon Temps.

She's on the path to making Benjamin Linus look like a toothless puppy. :scared: :w00t:
ImageImage
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Next

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]