True Blood General Discussion

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: True Blood General Discussion

Postby Miss Ford on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Interview with Fiona Shaw for NYMag.com - Vulture!!!

True Blood’s Fiona Shaw on Playing the Witch, Rehearsing With Vampires, and Conjuring the Dead in Real Life

Season four of True Blood is the season of the witch, i.e., the season of Fiona Shaw. In her role as the sorceress Marnie (who is possessed by the spirit Antonia), the actress is wreaking havoc among the vampires of Bon Temps: erasing Eric’s memory, melting Pam’s face, and generally bringing unwanted sunlight into their lives. It’s all great fun for Shaw, who didn’t get to do much in the way of magic as Aunt Petunia in the Harry Potter series. Now she even gets to levitate. Vulture phoned the actress in London and talked to her about spotting witches on the subway and trying to conjure the dead.

Were you a fan of the books or the show before you signed on for this?
Alan Ball discouraged me from reading the books, which I don’t regret; I don’t want to hanker for material I don’t have. But when I started reading the scripts, and the first lot of Latin came my way, I knew there were challenges ahead! [Laughs.] And when we had the first read-through, and suddenly seeing all these vampires in person, that was very stunning. I had to adjust and remind myself that they’re all just actors. Nan and Pam, they’re my favorites. Both vampires, both very sour.

Were you disappointed they didn’t offer you a vampire role?
I’m glad I’m not a vampire, but I never thought about it beyond that! And you know, I’ve never seen a vampire show before this one. Can you believe it? [Laughs.] So I was very excited to play a witch. It puts the vocabulary of witches back on the imaginative scale, and it gives you a new eye for them. I’ve been playing at casting them when I’m looking at people at bus stops, on the subway: Who’s a vampire, and who’s a witch? That’s one of the delightful things about the series. Everyone looks normal in Sam’s bar, and then you look again, and you find they have more gifts, and more drawbacks. True Blood celebrates the fact that we should never underestimate anyone.

Did you talk to any Wiccans or attend any coven meetings to prepare for the role?
I did, a lot. I actually spent weeks going to meetings and visiting witches. I liked the idea that with some covens, if it gets too big, the members can move on and form a new coven and be like bees, swarm elsewhere. Rituals can be self made. You can make up a ritual. I watched them conjure the dead, and it’s very moving. It’s all to do with their beliefs, and how they call upon a family member, and you see the comfort they give to people.

Did you participate in any of those rituals?
I’m too busy trying to contact the living to try to contact the dead! [Laughs.] I’m happy not to do that.

Even though Marnie is the villain of the season, she considers her actions justified.
Oh, they’re very justified! She’s just getting on, practicing her little religion, and in comes this big thug who says she can’t practice it. What happened to democracy?

Although, if you’re going to have a big thug come after you, who better than Alexander Skarsgard? Are you Team Eric?
I’ll take him any day! [Laughs.] He’s a very nice young man. How is Sookie supposed to choose between her two vampires? It’s fantastically complicated.

Antonia has increased Marnie's powers exponentially: She's levitating! What else are we going to see your character do?
Well, the question would be, is Antonia running Marnie, or is Marnie running Antonia?

Do you mean this isn’t all the work of Antonia Gavilán de Logroño?
What happens in True Blood is they put two ideas together, and a baby is born in the third idea. Antonia has a particular ax to grind, because of her own rape and murder [in the seventeenth century]. But Antonia’s the most unlikely person to make non-vampires do something against their will, or hold hostages; she seeks only the willing. She only entered Marnie because Marnie begged her to. But Marnie has a deep desire to make her mark on the world, because she’s been overlooked. When Antonia infused Marnie, it brought out Marnie’s latent powers. And being empowered has had a huge effect on her ego. Her entire deportment changes, because how you carry yourself is all about how you feel about yourself.

A lot of the women who were executed in Antonia’s time weren’t actually witches at all.
This show takes it to the extreme, but the history of witchcraft is absolutely the history of the scapegoat. It’s a forgotten bit of history, but millions of women were killed during the Inquisition, and it became a hysteria. The game of True Blood isn’t nonsense. Sometimes we call these powers by different names, but it is exciting to place our fears into shapes. It’s such an innocent idea to want to jump out of your skin and gallop along! The idea that you could behave temporarily as a horse, that’s fantastic. That’s the magic of television.
ImageImageImage
'Tell her I was born the night she found me,
and because of her, I went to my true death knowing
what it means to love. Tell her: Thank You.
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Great interview! Thanks for posting!!
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:01 am

Thanks for the great article, Miss Ford!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbsup:

Shaw touched on something I speculated about the Marnie-Atonia pairing, in that I wasn't sure whom, was really going to control whom, and I like that she says that really the result of their wills coming together is like getting/creating a new entity....and I feel like the whole season is playing on this---these unique types of transformations and alterations to identity...That's why I am trying to have faith in Ball and whatever happens with Tara ::fingers crossed::

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:20 pm

I never thought that way, actuallly, that could be Marnie controling the situation at anytime... I believed that she wanted to be a canal to something bigger them herself and no matter what it was, willing to giver her up completly... but that POV brings something new for me for the next episodes to come... how Marnie can come again to the mix
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Miss Ford wrote:I never thought that way, actuallly, that could be Marnie controling the situation at anytime... I believed that she wanted to be a canal to something bigger them herself and no matter what it was, willing to giver her up completly... but that POV brings something new for me for the next episodes to come... how Marnie can come again to the mix

Fiona Shaw says,

at happens in True Blood is they put two ideas together, and a baby is born in the third idea. Antonia has a particular ax to grind, because of her own rape and murder [in the seventeenth century]. But Antonia’s the most unlikely person to make non-vampires do something against their will, or hold hostages; she seeks only the willing. She only entered Marnie because Marnie begged her to. But Marnie has a deep desire to make her mark on the world, because she’s been overlooked.

That was something I was hoping for because Marnie is the perfect vessel, because Marnie herself has been wating her whole life to be something more than she is---someone powerful. --But I am glad this extended further with Shaw saying that Atonia would be the unlikely person to make non vampires do things against their wills--so we can say that every time 'They' use a vampire to blackmail a human or other super-N into doing something they don't want to do, -that part of it is Marnie's need for control over ALL--making her revenge more universal. Atonia was just the drug she needed to do it! --And it makes their existence together very complicated---This season I really love because it's playing on a theory, or IMO the key to TB's mythology, through the word's of one of my favorite characters, Sophie Anne---> "You can't. She's convinced herself she's immortal and so she is... William, surly you know everything that exists imagined itself into existence.... Don't underestimate the power of blind faith.It manifests in ways that bend the laws of physics or breaks them entirely." This is why I have hope for Tara---with supernatural beings we would have to assume that in some sense what they can do is different, because there genetic make-up, or rather their Physiology is different---there or how they FEEL about themselves can become different too (chemistry changes), giving them a new sense of self--a new identity, or an evolution in their identity...IMO, Feeling is believing and if Tara could just find a way to FEEL different, then I think a lot of fans could be on board with that.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:38 pm

I love the way your think and the faith you have in Tara's character and how she can move from this dark place she is right now... for me, she's down there for such a long time that I really feel hopeless... I hope you right that the writers have this way out for Tara .... it does make sense so it could save her for viewrs like me :)
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:50 pm

Four True Blood characters in SFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons

Geek-tastic magazine SFX has unleashed a special edition issue detailing the results of their readers’ poll of the top sci-fi icons of the 21st century. 10,000 readers were polled, and they obviously have great taste, since four True Blood characters made the grade. Lafayette is at number 90, Sookie is at 75, Bill is at 66, and Eric is at 28.

For a better look to bigger pictures of the scans go to the source: trueblood-news.com

nice, huh? :thumbsup: :thumbup:
I just have to add that I missed Pam, Jason and Jess in this list, that and I think I would be happy, for now :D
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Allan Ball talked to the Pedestrian about what shows on tv he usually watchs! :)

Watch TV With Alan Ball

Which shows do you watch religiously?

Well right now I’m watching Breaking Bad, I won’t miss it. I love Breaking Bad. I love Mad Men. I’m a huge Game Of Thrones fan. There’s a show on Comedy Central called Workaholics about three loveable loser slacker dork assholes that makes me laugh like nothing else since South Park. And I just recently started watching this Australian show called Rake…I gotta say I’m pretty intrigued by it. I just watched an episode where a former prostitute was telling this girl that she needed to forgive her father for having a three way which included a dog. People can be good parents you know? Everyone has something about them that’s weird but it doesn’t mean they’re not good people. That’s my kind of show.

Joe Manganiello talked to SyFyGermany about True Blood. In the three videos below, the question were in german but The Vault translated them.....they were if Joe Manganiello believes in supernatural creatures in real world, what makes his role so special and how it felt to meet the famous cast of the show the first time?

ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 am

hi everyone!! near 3 months till next season, right?? oh my, I cannot wait for that!!

anyways! HBO is near also to release season 4 dvd/blu-ray material. TB-news got the inside and it looks exciting! Im buying it!! especially for the Character Perspectives (picture-in-picture) thingy ... sounds cool! how about you guys, are you buying those, do you have the other ones already?? :)

True Blood Season 4 DVD/Blu-ray Info

HBO has a trick up their sleeve with the Blu-ray set: it’s NOT just Blu-ray! It will also include DVD disc versions includes with the BDs, and for true versatility there are also Digital Copies of the episodes available by purchasing that set, too! The studio says “The digital copy is redeemable via a provider of your choice: iTunes, Vudu, and Amazon, or an UltraViolet copy through supporting providers.” HBO’s release info points out that this is the first time a TV-on-BD box set includes all three formats in a single package. But first, here are those special features:

Blu-ray Features (along with all DVD extras):
Includes “Blu-ray with HBO Select:” DVD + Digital Copy
Character Perspectives (picture-in-picture): find out the back story of what happened in Bon Temps while Sookie was missing in Faerieland, and get the inside scoop from your favorite characters including Andy, Arlene, Crystal, Debbie, Don Bartolo, Godrick, Jason, Lafayette, Luna, Maxine, Melinda, Nan, Pam, and Tara.
Vampire Histories/Character Bios and Hints/FYIs: get even more background on favorite characters, trivia facts as well as show hints and clues.
Flashback/Flash Forward: move through time in the world of Bon Temps. Flashback to relive pivotal moments or Flash Forward to reveal the significance of a certain scene.
True Blood Lines: uncover secrets from relationships past and present in this engaging, fully interactive guide and archive.

DVD Features:

True Blood: The Final Touches: join show creator and executive producer Alan Ball as he reveals an exclusive, never-before-seen glimpse in the post production process of True Blood.
Inside the Episodes: get the backstories on each episode with revealing interviews from the show writers.
Audio Commentaries: six commentaries with cast and crew including Alan Ball, Anna Paquin, Stephen Moyer, Alexander Skarsgård, Deborah Ann Woll, Sam Trammell, Fiona Shaw, and more.
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 pm

hi everybody! guess what?! we have a date!! yes!! a premiere date for season 5!! yayyy so... watch out for JUNE 10th 9pm east time!! :)

this is HBO announcement ;)
The 12-episode fifth season of TRUE BLOOD will kick off SUNDAY, JUNE 10 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT). Based on the popular Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris, this Emmy®-nominated hit drama series was created by Alan Ball, creator of HBO’s Emmy®-winning series “Six Feet Under.” The show follows waitress and part-faerie Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin), who can hear people’s thoughts, vampire Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer) and vampire Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgård).

Source

sooner than I thought! :) yay!
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu May 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Hey everybody! :D -Hope you guys will be @ to discuss season 5! I looks SO good so far!

So I have been doing my annual TB rewatch into the new season and I have another idea about Tara...

I know I have probably talked about these things before, but now I think they hold more weight after season four...this something I wrote commenting on the main site so I will just put it here:

Something I thought about before, but feel a little more certain about after season 4, is that I wonder if Drew Marshell was possessed by a spirit and the combination of their souls, (or it's real name) called itself "Rene" and this part of Drew may be one of the ghosts that has been following Terry the whole time!?

I also think that Miss Jeanette wasn't a fake and that Tara does have"'another kind of demon" (<---quoted from M. Jeanette) inside her, and that's why Maryanne killed Miss Jeanette (called her a fraud) and went after Tara, because the energy of Tara's demon (or rather what it creates -chaotic situations) is what she needed...

Perhaps Tara can't easily be killed. Miss Jeanette also said Demons run in families and besides looking at her mother and Lafayette's mother, ironically Lafayette is a medium, who now has to deal with Jesus' Demon being passed onto him....

The question still remians if Tara lives, and is a demon, doesTara still need assistence to survive (magic, blood, ect)??? Would she become something new...a new kind of ghost, demon, or demon-vampire hybrid??

What do you guys think??????

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Previous

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]