[Official] True Blood Ep. 2x11 Discussion

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] True Blood Ep. 2x11 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:06 am

"Frenzy"

8:00PM

Discuss the latest True Blood episode here.

With the crisis in Bon Temps careening out of control, Bill seeks out the advice of Sophie-Anne, the Vampire Queen of Louisiana (Evan Rachel Wood), but must exercise patience before she gives him critical information. Meanwhile, Sookie and Lafayette find that protecting Tara from herself is more difficult than they anticipated; a desperate Sam turns to an unlikely source for assistance; and Hoyt’s allegiance to Maxine is put to the test by Jessica.

Written by: Alan Ball
Directed by: Daniel Minahan

- Promo
- Promotional Photos
- Sneak Peek

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] True Blood Ep. 2x11 Discussion

Postby jonnyzkool92 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:16 am

Okay This Episode Was Whack!

Everyone, not just a few of them, Everyone was out of character tonight and just seemed completely off base.

lemme just tackle the big points

1. Eric can fly???? WTF
2. Why the hell would Sam think Fangtasia would be a good place to go based on what a kid said???
- How the hell did Sam even know who the hell Eric is???
3. Where the hell did sookie's cousin come from??? That was one of the most completely unnecessary things ever.
4. Tara's mother... I dont even know she is just plain stupid, even after she believed what tara said and let her go, she apologized to sookie and lafayette when they were leaving???
5. The Sookie/Mike Spencer scene??? WTF
6. Hoyt just up and leaving Jessica, just cause she bit his mom? WTF
7. Oh and by the way the kids showing up, was so randommm?
8. Tara... was just so out of character tonight.
9. Oh yeah and did i mention Eric Flying??? WTF

This episode was whack, totally not worth the two week wait we have now.

The only 4 scenes i liked were:

1. Sheriff Deerborne (or however you spell it) and andy dancing.
2. Andy and Jason's talk towards the end.
3. Lafayette's scene when he saw Eric as Lettie Mae LOL
4. And The Bill/Eric confrontation towards the end

Everything else just seemed off.

Terry and Arlene are just so annoying by this point.

Carl's death was so random, but pretty cool.

And the whole thing like she's just supernatural because she believes she is???? WTF
The Queens explanation was a little hazy.

I cant believe sookie and lafayette thought that shooting her would work.

Jessica was only in one scene?

and it was just bad, i didn't like the dialouge at all except for the scenes i mentioned above, and the Bug-Eyed Lafayette/Giant Egg scene just didn't set well for me as an ending :P

Oh and i just saw the episode recently where Tara sees herself as a little girl with the bug-eyes, so Maryann's explanation was pretty cool, but still weird....

I hope the finale is better...
jonnyzkool92
Guest Star

Postby Spleen on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:04 am

My usual website dosn't have a it up yet, anyone got a link?

I know loads of people on here arn't in the US so have to watch online, someone must have one?
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Spleen
Supporting Actor

Postby DharmaFlashes08 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:06 am

It was a crazy episode. The explaination the Vampire Queen gave Bill didn't really process too well in my mind, but what I understood the most was Maryann couldn't have a 'pure death' or something. Maryann can't get shot or anything, she is immortal and possesses people to do these crazy sexual acts.

And Lafayette getting possessed at the end, I knew that was going to happen. Good cliffhanger for the finale, and what the heck is up with the egg that Eggs (no pun intended) and Tara were nurturing? This is something that Maryann is concocting and why she is possessing these two people. Whatever's in the egg can't be good.
DharmaFlashes08
Show Expert

Postby Bella on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:10 am

I definitely did NOT think the episode was whack. In fact, Eric flying was my favorite part!

1. Eric can fly???? WTF
2. Why the hell would Sam think Fangtasia would be a good place to go based on what a kid said???
3. Where the hell did sookie's cousin come from??? That was one of the most completely unnecessary things ever.
4. Tara's mother... I dont even know she is just plain stupid, even after she believed what tara said and let her go, she apologized to sookie and lafayette when they were leaving???

I disagree with every point of contention you've mentioned... :lol: Sorry. And as for #6, uh, Hoyt was right to leave after Jessica bit his mother!

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Spleen on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:54 am

Eric in the dress has to be one of the funniest bits of True Blood yet. :lol: A much better use of Eric than last episode.

I didn't like the Vampire Queen at the start, thought the acting was off, but definetly improved, great new character, I hope this isn't the last we see of her. I'd have liked her to have had more screen time than she did.

First vampire we've seen that isn't deadly serious either, I love her attitude.

The episode definetly wasn't as good as some of the recent ones, but it wasn't awful either imo.

Hoyt's mum was just asking to be bitten tbh, and shes been asking for it long before she turned bug-eyed.
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Spleen
Supporting Actor

Postby Joshjb on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:39 pm

I liked last week's episode a lot more... it seems like they could have left this episode out and went straight to the finale. It was almost like they were dragging things out.

Anyway, it was still True Blood which means it was awesome. Can't wait for the finale!!
ImageImage
Joshjb
Former Staff Member

Postby dutchie on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:15 pm

I liked the queen.
Whats with the egg?
Eric and his 80's mob suit...big fashion no no.
I dont have much to say about this episode, not much happend.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:06 pm

Another super entertaining episode. :thumbsup:
I really liked it!

- One thing I want to know, though, is how did Bill change his clothes to go and see the Queen, because he obviously didn't go back to his house. :S

- It was only a matter of time until we got some conflict between Jessica and Hoyt. This is the first, but I'm sure it won't be the last. A vampire-human relationship isn't easy, as we can see, but I trust they will go through it. ;)

- Did the Queen just said to Hadley she probably missed Bill? Or is it that I didn't get that right? :S The Queen has a past with Bill, and not just a royalty-subject one, that's for sure. She was expecting him, she treats him like someone she has some sort of relationship with, a long timed one. She knows about Sookie, and wasn't too happy to know Bill fed from her before going to her house (what a party pooper, Bill! :PP :lol: ). Bill obviously knows Hadley as well, and knows she's Sookie's cousin, and doesn't want them to be in touch. Hmmm, what else are you hiding from Sookie, William Compton? :hmm:

- I really liked the philosophical talk the Queen and Bill had, btw. :thumbup:

- In that sense, the Queen gave us some interesting insight about Maryann. Not too useful, but interesting nonetheless. I guess the only way to "defeat" her is with something that's completely opposite to her nature, something strong and something she can't control, at least not easily, a pure and good supe, to call it someway, along the help of something malicious enough to have her occupied.

- Seems like the theory that some people had around the net about the reason why Maryann's ways didn't work on Lafayette has been debunked. Eric's blood running in his system didn't help him at all to stop her from making a zombie out of him. I guess that to be made zombies, they have to face her and, if they resist somehow, she can still force them to be turned at the end. Supes are the only ones who can't be completely controlled by Maryann.

- Sookie's description of how it felt inside Tara's head was great. :thumbup: I agree with Lafayette, it sounded pretty much appealing.

- How great is that Sookie and Lafayette finally had their conversation about Eric? :w00t: I'm so glad, because this just came in time to ease many people's questions about the nature of having vampire blood running through your system. They both have had fantasies and dreams about Eric. "It's like he's always in my head. And sex dreams, all kinds of nasty and... fantastic. Which freaks me the **** out, because I hate that mother **** more than you'd ever know" :lol: Yeah, you sound so convincing, Lafayette, just like Sookie when she says she hates him too. :PP

- It's interesting to see that, even if they both, Sookie and Lafayette, have sexy fantasies about Eric, they also get them released in different ways. It's cool because now we can also see it all depends on what their experience with Eric's been so far, and what's inside their subconscious. This pretty much answers my question about Eric controlling or not what's going on. My conclusion is: he doesn't, his blood is simply the trigger, their minds and what they feel are doing the rest. ;)

- Lafayette seeing Eric in Lettie Mae's clothing was freaking hilarious. :rofl: Another super hilarious moment? Oldham... I'm sorry, Sheriff Deaborne dancing with Andy. :lol:

- Maxine's "straight" talk with Hoyt was pretty heart breaking. :(

- How cool was to see Sam and Eric interacting! And Pam back! :w00t: It was so short, though. :( I love her and really hope we can go deeper on her character next season.

- Eric is back to his business, we all know that for sure with a broken soul, but he won't let anyone notice that, so he plays stone cold hearted again. Anyway, I'm sure he knows he can get some "goods" from helping this time. I loved Sam's words to him: "Because until somebody starts trusting somebody, we're all single targets, just right for the picking" How true, Sam! :thumbup:

- Btw, the interaction of Eric and Pam with the kids was kind of creepy, but so funny at the same time. :lol: Arlene's kids are pretty cool! "Our almost step-daddy hated vampires, but we don't." "He went on a vacation with Jesus" I can tell Eric was simply having fun with them, smiling and doing the tricks. "Teacup humans" :rofl: And Eric flying was simply all kinds of great. He can do it, of course, but he did it more Superman like just for them. :thumbsup:

- Have I ever mentioned I love the way Eric handles Bill? Eric has no shame and he isn't fooling around either. I loved he told him some truths in this episode, I love he knows more than we or them think. I feel for Bill because this is the second time he uses those words about Eric being desperate... but it doesn't matter how much he tries to convince himself, he knows he's not desperate, at all. Eric is playing his cards very well, if you ask me, and he's using every little chance he has, without rushing things or being irrational. Maybe Bill's threat to tell the Queen he's dealing with V will help him, though, maybe not. I can't wait to find out. :D

- Way to die, Karl... way to die! :rofl:

- I'm so glad Jason asked Andy what's his problem with him and I loved the whole conversation they had about it. :thumbsup: It's great when we get to see inside those characters that at the beginning just seem to be either annoying and/or simple comic relief (Andy's always been a great source of laughing, of course).

- Finally, was that an ostrich egg? :S Poor Sookie, they're destroying Gran's house and her stuff and there's not much she can do about it. :(

jonnyzkool92 wrote:Okay This Episode Was Whack!

Everyone, not just a few of them, Everyone was out of character tonight and just seemed completely off base.

lemme just tackle the big points

1. Eric can fly???? WTF

This isn't meant to be adversary to your point of view, but here are my thoughts on what you mention.

1. We know since the first season, at the very first introduction of Eric that he can fly. Godric also could, as we saw in 'Release Me'. I don't know at what vampire age does the flying ability develops, but it's part of being one.

2. Sam is a supe, and as one, he knows his stuff. That he isn't saying it all, doesn't mean he doesn't know it. Btw, if you remember, he told Daphne he has met some werewolves. Why would it be too crazy for him to know about Eric and other vampires as well? I mean, he didn't know him personally, but he knew about Fangtasia and also knew he's a very old vampire. Everyone who goes to Fangtasia, and also probably those who don't, know that. People talk and the vampire bar is a big attraction, to tourists and locals.

3. Be patient. After all those scenes, my conclusion is that there's something behind all this Queen-Bill-Hadley thing.

4. For Tara is easy to manipulate Lettie Mae because she knows she feels horrible about the life she gave her as a child. Tara is her daughter and she has done more wrong than good to her, always. The second Tara started mentioning all those things, Lettie Mae's deep guilt came and she fell for it.

5. Sookie goes into her house, which is full of people who know her, but now are creepy zombies who are beyond their control. It was just a question of time until one of them kept her, and Mike Spencer has always been a nasty guy at the end. It's just a way to use the time they had and keep things more convincing. At least, the way I see it.

6. If my boyfriend did something to hurt my mother, even if she was a bitch, I would resent him. I mean, it's my mother! Jessica is a very young vampire and it's only understandable she can't always control herself. In fact, she's been doing a great job, even more considering Bill is almost as constricting as her human parents, but at the same time, doesn't seem to care much about her because he's always thinking about Sookie. You know, the more you restrain someone, the wildest that persons' desires will be. Hoyt doesn't know this, the vampire world is pretty much new to him.

7. I don't think that was random. Arlene has lost it, they're scared and they're very hungry. It's only normal they go and look for help, and who better than Sam for that? :D

8. Tara is in love with Eggs, for real. Tara resents her mother, for real. And it's not the first time Tara has said hurting words to the people who love her. I couldn't see her going out of character... well, obviously, while she was herself and not one of Maryann's zombies.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby frekkells on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:55 pm

PandaVamp wrote:3. Be patient. After all those scenes, my conclusion is that there's something behind all this Queen-Bill-Hadley thing.

I totally agree. I thought setting up for season 3 right away.

PandaVamp wrote:7. I don't think that was random. Arlene has lost it, they're scared and they're very hungry. It's only normal they go and look for help, and who better than Sam for that? :D

Loved Sam all the more for doing that. :wub:
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby isabelle on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:05 pm

I thought this was a great episode! :thumbsup:

I think its a set up for next season. It would be pointless to introduce her randomly otherwise, so I think we'll see more of her, but perhaps not til season 3 since I doubt there will be space for it in the finale.

I think Jessica crossed a line, and Hoyte was right to leave. JMO. Hoyte has been hearing bad things about vampires all his life, and I think that one of the reasons he liked Jessica, was because she showed him that all those things he has been told about vampires, don't necessarily apply to all of them and that some of them aren't dangerous. But what she did showed him that she can be dangerous. She attacked his mother, theres no "just cause" about that. I don't think this is the end of their relationship though, I think they can work through it. :)

Anyway, loved the cliffhanger with Lafayette! Totally saw it coming though, but its still awesome.

I don't reallt think that Maryann will want Sam anymore. Maybe she'll want Sookie instead now?
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby Magic Box on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:23 pm

*comes in here with head inside a bag* Haven't watched it yet, but can't wait to discover where the story went this week and to join you all in this thread! :w00t:

*heads out of room without another look*
ImageImage
Owner of Ben's red tie, Ben's Bendiana Jones outfit, Ben's bunny, and Ben's "Don't you read?" line.
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Location: Near the polar bears, far from the Frozen Donkey Wheel

Postby jonnyzkool92 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:28 pm

lol you all have your opinions ha :D
i was just really turned off by this episode lol.

another thing when was it ever made known, that they were eating hearts? all of a sudden last episode, sookie new about it, and this week, tara did as well. Am i totally just missing things left and right
jonnyzkool92
Guest Star

Postby Nick on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:20 pm

Hmm..this episode was alright. I certainly think it's a step down from the excellent episodes we've been having, but it's like Lost on a bad day; still good. Very entertaining. That said, I'll start off with the negatives...

The Queen...well, I usually really like Evan Rachel Wood, but I'm not sure what to make of this. It kind of seemed like she was trying too hard to go over the top. She's kind of overacting in my opinion. If she toned it down and didn't try to sound so theatrical (I felt like I was watching a play some of the time) and maybe talked like a somewhat normal person (keep the bitchiness and keep the tackiness she emits but dump the overacting and putting emphasis on every word) I might like her...I think I might need a couple more episodes to warm to her. The writing for Sophie, however, was great, even though I hate her. Still, the Maryann explanation from her was sort of stupid and disappointing. Um...believed into existence? What? :|

There were a bunch of filler scenes. Jason and Andy had a couple of interesting conversations, but this is the episode right before the finale. This is supposed to spend time setting stuff up, not Jason and Andy having a heart to heart about watching pornos and being a sex magnet. Sheriff's office scenes were boring and stupid. Woo, they're getting guns. Isn't there something better they could do with this time? Sorry if I'm the only one who thinks this, but while Jason and Andy are alright, I didn't care about those scenes.

Tara was so out of character tonight it was ridiculous. That is so not Tara. At first I thought Tara might've still had some sort of attraction to Maryann or evilness inside her, but no. It just looked like the writers were confusing Tara with someone else. Sure, you can say she loves Eggs, and blah blah blah, but Tara isn't an idiot. Tara wouldn't go prancing over to Maryann's house, let herself in, and go "hi Eggs, I'm going to get you out of here even though you're like a demon right now". She would use her brain and common sense that would say maybe it would be best if I didn't go into Maryann's nest looking around for Eggs. And then Lettie Mae...uh, you can't win your kid back if she's a dead demon chick. She was looking to find forgiveness with Tara, but if she really cared about Tara, she wouldn't hold people trying to protect her at gunpoint and then let her go speeding off to her doom.

Now, the good stuff...

I knew Maryann stuff had something to do with the exorcism. Score one for me. :P I'm glad they didn't totally forget about that. And it's good to finally see why she's so interested in Tara. Eggs, on the other hand...wait, why is he here again? I hope Eggs gets scrambled in the finale.

I liked Eric with the kids. It was nice and light hearted and it kind of answered a question that's been lingering in my mind for awhile, which is where did Arlene's kids go? So I'm glad they got that out of the way. Sam and Eric don't really seem to like each other....shifters and vampires rivalry, perhaps? :hmm: The flying part was a small and actually sort of cool part of the episode...I mean, I read about it beforehand and I thought it would suck, but I didn't mind it in this context. Also, Pam was awesome when she was talking about how much she hated the kids. :lol:

Hoyt and Maxine's talk. It was just horrible, but a great scene.

I liked Lafayette here. And it'll be interesting to see what kind of minion for Maryann he makes next week. The PTSD stuff wasn't bad or anything, but I think they took it over the top. I mean, Eric in Lettie Mae's clothes with her voice was even more cringe worthy than Eric in Andy's clothes with his voice. But it's nice to see they haven't forgotten about it. And his conversation with Maryann was nice with Karl's death and everything.

It seems like they're getting stuff all revved up for Season 3 already. Introducing Sookie's cousin is obviously going to come into play later. Interesting that Bill killed her dad...I think. And he didn't tell her about Gran. Edit: Uncle Hadley wasn't her dad. My bad. He was her great uncle, just like he was Sookie's great uncle.

The ending...err, not sure whether to file this under positives or negatives. It certainly got a "WTF is this" reaction out of me...I don't know if I'd call it stupid though...just have to wait until 2 weeks from now to see just what it is. It's certainly got me curious.

Grrr...no new episode next week. Labor Day? Labor Day is MONDAY. Not Sunday. MONDAY. And even if it was Sunday, isn't the whole point of Labor day for workers to take a day off and like...relax? So they're pulling everything off the airwaves in their attempt to make people's days off more enjoyable. I fail to see the logic in that.
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby Ciubia on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:51 pm

I think it was a good set up for the finale (or so I hope)! Not the best episode, but still very good! I'm anxious to see where the story will end, I always found the Maryann story interesting (and every episode I love Michelle Forbes even more, it's sad that the prognosis for Maryann isn't very good) so I'm really looking forward to see the culmination of all the madness going on!
ImageImage
Ciubia
Emmy Nominee

Next

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]