Alan Ball finds true blood six feet under

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Alan Ball finds true blood six feet under

Postby PandaVamp on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Hey, truebies. :D
Check out this really, really good article on Alan Ball by TimesOnline.

If you like True Blood, and his work in general, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. :)

It’s one of those too-good-to-be-true sunny days in Los Angeles, and Alan Ball is sitting in a dark, chilly office, talking about death. Not just death, actually, but grief: the unbearable pain; the torment of knowing that we’ll all end up as wormfood. It’s the kind of thing that passes for everyday conversation with Ball, as you might expect from the man responsible for creating hit television shows entitled Six Feet Under and True Blood, which starts on Channel 4 next week. “As much as we pretend we don’t get old, that we don’t die, it’s something we all have to face,” Ball says. “That’s why we have this instinct to rubber-neck at car wrecks. Death is the ultimate mystery." Ball knows of what he speaks. When he was 13, he was a passenger in a car driven by his older sister — it was her 22nd birthday — when she was killed in an accident. “She drove off the highway, there was a blind spot, and she pulled out,” he recalls, still flinching slightly. “The impact broke her neck. It was very bloody. At that impressionable age, Death came and stuck its ugly old face in mine, and said: ‘Hello, here I am.’ ” Ball escaped without a scrape.

It was that terrible event perhaps more than any other that shaped Ball, who ultimately went on to become a playwright, sit-com producer and Oscar-winning screenplay writer — he was responsible for the 1999 Kevin Spacey masterpiece American Beauty — and at the age of 52 has emerged as one of the most unusual and unsettling creative forces in American television.

But as much as he might still look as though the weight of several planets is upon him — on the morning we meet he sports a greying beard with hiking boots, jeans and a woodcutter shirt — Ball claims that True Blood is his way of lightening up. “Six Feet Under was about life in the presence of death,” he says. “But after that show ended I thought to myself: ‘OK, I’m done looking into the abyss now. I’m ready for a theme park ride.’ ”

Based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries novel series by Charlene Harris, True Blood is certainly a change of tempo. The title sequence, set to Jace Everett’s country stompalong Bad Things, features pole dancers, faith-healers and close-ups of blood-red lips and roadkill. The plot centres on a telepathic waitress named Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin) and her vampire love interest, Bill Compton (played by the British actor Stephen Moyer, now engaged to Paquin in real life).

Keep on reading...

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Alan Ball finds true blood six feet under

Postby Joshjb on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:49 pm

Great article. I am definitely gonna have to watch Six Feet Under now. Thanks for the link, Ana. :)
ImageImage
Joshjb
Former Staff Member

Postby Magic Box on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:51 am

Joshjb wrote:Great article. I am definitely gonna have to watch Six Feet Under now. Thanks for the link, Ana. :)

Although Six Feet Under has nothing to do with LOST, it also seemingly broke a lot of television rules. Ball is wildly creative, and the "unsettling" adjective used in the article is an apt one.

I didn't he witnessed his sister's death, and now have to wonder how different his impact on TV would have been without that event. Death is a center piece in his creations, and that is clearly what Six Feet Under is all about.

Let us know if you watch it, Josh. The good thing about it is since it's all wrapped up and done with, there's no waiting for horrible hiatus to be over. :thumbup: Slight spoiler: best finale I've ever watched in a TV series. :w00t:

Panda, thank you for the article. :)
ImageImage
Owner of Ben's red tie, Ben's Bendiana Jones outfit, Ben's bunny, and Ben's "Don't you read?" line.
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Location: Near the polar bears, far from the Frozen Donkey Wheel

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:59 pm

It's always a pleasure for me, guys. :D Glad to know you enjoyed it as much as I did. :wub:

And like Josh, I'm definitely going to watch Six Feet Under. Guess I can't call myself an Alan Ball fan until I do it. :P

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]