Think of Estonia- The Pam/Kristen Bauer Thread

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Think of Estonia- The Pam/Kristen Bauer Thread

Postby DharmaFlashes08 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:17 pm

PAM is portrayed by KRISTEN BAUER

Pam Northman is a fictional character from the The Southern Vampire Series/Sookie Stackhouse novels by author Charlaine Harris. She is a vampire and Eric's second-in-command and co-owner of Fangtasia, a vampire bar. Her age is not mentioned, but Sookie thinks that she is over 200 years old.

The author states that Pam looks like a young middle class suburban housewife, but mostly like "Alice in Wonderland with fangs". She will be forever 19 years old. She is round faced with a chalky pale complexion, dark blue eyes and straight blond hair "white as a magnolia petal". Pam is a little shorter than Sookie, who is 5 feet 6 inches tall. Her work outfit is always black and gothic, but she prefers twinset-type styles, and pastels such as pale green, pink and blue. Sookie thought that she looked "ethereally lovely, with a kind of deadly edge"

Kristin Bauer van Straten (born November 26, 1973) is an American film and television actress, most well known for her role as Pam on the HBO hit series True Blood.

Bauer was born and raised in Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin with her parents - an avid horseman and gun collector, and a housewife involved in charities. In childhood she played sports, and, like her father, rode horses and shot guns.

She studied fine arts in St. Louis, Boston and New York in her youth, but she decided to become an actress and moved to Los Angeles, where she has been living since she began acting in 1994. She continues to draw and paint. Her works include commissioned portraits.

Borrowing this same idea from Rebel and Miss Ford, covering a character/actor and bringing it to the forefront. Pam has always been a lovable character and Kristen a fascinating actress, so I thought it'd be fun to bring her up. Here are some vids in regards.. some of her funniest scenes and a campaign for whales:

DharmaFlashes08
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Think of Estonia- The Pam/Kristen Bauer Thread

Postby Rebel on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:02 am

Awesome post! I love her sly attitude. I would really like to learn more about her origins, especially when Eric makes her.

True Blood's enchanting princess...
Rebel
Guest Star

Postby beresford on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:10 am

I looooved her scenes on this last episode! It was amazing how right under stress she could think of framing Bill and how her first instinct when the Magistry arived was to call Eric and to tell him not to show up instead of running! Go Pam! :D :thumbsup:
Come and participate in the Ultimate Lost Episode List Countdown! Guess the next ones and join the discussion! Now Back to Active!!

Damon Lindelof wrote:Killing off Juliet was was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done in my career(...) the guilt of executing a character who is so clearly beloved by the audience

Heiots wrote:beresford is Juliet King! Just can't argue that fact.
beresford
Emmy Nominee

Postby Rebel on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:57 am

And she's still owed new pumps!

True Blood's enchanting princess...
Rebel
Guest Star

Postby Miss Ford on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Pam is awesome. I love how loyal she is to Eric!! And their funny moments are priceless!!

Great post DF :thumbsup:
ImageImageImage
'Tell her I was born the night she found me,
and because of her, I went to my true death knowing
what it means to love. Tell her: Thank You.
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Bella on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:11 pm

I loved Pam in the books, so I'm thrilled she's getting a bigger role this season. But more than that, I adore Kim Bauer van Straten, who is one of the sweetest, most compassionate actors out there.

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Miss Ford on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Kristin Bauer Van Straten Talks About Episode 9 “Everything is Broken”

Kristin Bauer Van Straten is known for her talent and big heart; she splits her time between acting and charity. However, what about Pam, the character she plays in True Blood? As much as fans love Pam, there’s a lot that they don’t know about her. In Season 3, Episode 9: Everything is Broken, fans get a little more information about this vampire fashionista.

Recently, Pam was in danger of being tortured to death for her involvement in selling V. Eric was frantic to save her because he’s her maker, but what was their relationship before: lovers or friendship? When shooting began, this wasn’t very clear, but with Episode 9, it has become apparent that the relationship between Eric and Pam is a paternal one, and that Pam considers Eric a father figure.

It’s clear that Pam thinks Eric is better maker than Bill. A reluctant maker is awful because they end up not teaching the things a new vampire needs to know. Bill still has feelings of guilt for creating Jessica, while Eric never had those feelings with Pam. He created Pam with love; love for her and for being a vampire. To Pam this makes Eric is a great maker, but her bond with him may be her weakness.

The Season 2 Blu Ray gives a lot of insight on Pam and her history with Eric. It’s here fans find out she’s 100 years old. She was stuck in a small world world that kept crippling limitations on women. Pam was very strong in character and didn’t like the world she was living in; she chose to go against the grain by being secretively promiscuous. For Kristin, Pam: “sought Eric out and pursued being a vampire and never looked back.”

Aside from her past, Pam’s sexuality and love interests are also things fans talk about.While some fans argue over which guy is better for Sookie: Eric or Bill, others think Sookie should give Pam a chance. Kristin thinks it’s an interesting idea: “Two women who understand each other, who could go shopping together for eternity? Sounds kind of awesome.”

These creative imaginative scenarios are possible because Pam has been a part of True Blood since the beginning. Many characters come in only to be killed off by the end of the season. Kristin’s glad her character is in all the books so far, which makes it a little harder for her to get the ax. She hopes to stick around, but the books and the show, are not carbon copies of each other. About the characters who die Kristin says, “Every table read where two or three go, there’s sort of a hush over the room.”

Both her good friends Mariana Klaveno, who played Lorena, and Michelle Forbes, who played Maryann, were both killed off. Though she misses having them around the set, Kristin insists that they have a great time when they all hang out off set.

With so many characters being killed off, the stakes are higher for the characters still alive. Pam’s integrity and loyalty will be tested further. Her physical strength will also be tested in the future episodes. Will she be as strong physically as she is mentally?

Hopefully so, given that Pam has become a fan favorite. In a world that forces people to censor their thoughts and feelings all the time, it’s refreshing for fans to meet a character like Pam, who has none of these restraints; she’s straight forward and unapologetic. She’s true to who she is. And she does it all in a great pair of pumps and an expensive pink cardigan.

source
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby LOSTMeggy on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:32 pm

I love Pam and her and Eric were great together this past episode!!!!! :thumbsup:
"I've missed you so much..."
LOSTMeggy
Stunt Double

Postby beresford on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:47 am

Pam and Eric relationship has been turning into one of my favorites and Pam's scenes have been the best of all episodes! I really like her and I wish she is given more to do next season! She is hillarious and although she wants to show how cold she is, she has plenty of emotions to show! Besides, she is Jessica's best teacher :P :PP
Come and participate in the Ultimate Lost Episode List Countdown! Guess the next ones and join the discussion! Now Back to Active!!

Damon Lindelof wrote:Killing off Juliet was was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done in my career(...) the guilt of executing a character who is so clearly beloved by the audience

Heiots wrote:beresford is Juliet King! Just can't argue that fact.
beresford
Emmy Nominee

Postby Miss Ford on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Kristin Bauer van Straten took time from her busy filming schedule in Canada to answer the questions that fans sent to ericnorthman.net.

Kristin answers your questions!

EN.net: Can you say a little bit about Pam’s unwilling betrayal of Eric in episode 5? A lot of fans found that very out of character for her, but she’s only “human,” after all.

Kristin: Yes, very out of character. We just saw her willing to die for Eric for a season. I had to think her betrayal was just a simple mistake brought on by being so stressed by her situation from the spell but also by the stress of what to do when Eric isn’t there to strategize “what to do” for her. And then we see in the following scene with Eric in the dungeon that she was devastated by her mistake.

EN.net: Is there a funny filming moment from season four that you can share with us? Did Alex tease you about that zombie makeup?

He didn’t. That makeup was hard to find funny in that it was as real looking in person. But after you see the rest of the season I can tell you about one time I was teased, by the whole set really. It was a much needed laugh during a long night shoot.

Stella: What kinds of things do you think Pam would do if she got drunk on fairy blood?

Go shopping during the day? I don’t know…I guess this is why we have such great writers, they’d come up with something hysterical and character revealing.

Jacinta: Eric as Pam’s maker has a strong bond with her and would do anything to protect her, including die for her. Do you think Pam has it in her to be as protective and selfless for her progeny?

Hard to imagine, isn’t it? But maybe once she became a Mommy some instinct would kick in…still hard to imagine.

Marinated_n_sin: Was Pam the role that you auditioned for? If so, what made you go for that part? My family and I love Her and Eric religiously!

Great, thanks! Yes, that was the only role I was offered to audition for and I jumped at it.

Laura V: Do any of the characters’ personalities resemble the actors’ true personalities?

Not really. I think we all try, or at least I do, to use whatever you can from where you and the character overlap. In fact this happens whether you like it or not as all the character has is your imagination. I have parts of me that can relate to Pam and I am only too happy to channel those. But it seems to me that everyone has major differences from their characters. You build a character, a separate entity.

Bianca: If you could have any Pam outfit, which one would you pick? The red short sparkle mini dress and jacket with spikes were my favs!

I love all Pam’s outfits! There are a couple I’d wear too. There’s another spike jacket coming up that I think I’ll have to get.

Laura H: Is there anything special that you would like to see happen for Pam?

There’s been a lot of talk about an Eric/Pam flashback and I think that’ll be great fun to see how this relationship began.

Deanna: Kristin, what is your absolute favorite thing about Pam?

Her directness.

Gabi: Kristin, what do you think it is about Pam that people love the character so much? By the way, you’re fabulous!

Thank you! People may love what I love about playing her. She is so dry and unapologetic. She knows who she is. And she loves to dress for every occasion. Very fun.

VikingGirl: Have you found that some of Pam’s wardrobe seems a little retro lately? Do you think Pam had a love of the 1980s? Love your work with animal rights!

It seems to me that Pam steals and remembers the best of every fashion era that she has lived through. Her modern bondage look even has Victorian bent like in the black and red rubber dress.

Allison: How in the world does she do those amazing big, wavy curls she’s been rocking lately? I can’t be the only girl with problematically curly hair clamoring to know!

Lots of hair products and a big hot curling iron. Patience.

Kitty: What is your exercise routine like for getting in shape for the show? You look so gorgeous in all of those tight costumes!

I pay close attention to what I eat and do barre classes. On location I just make sure to keep up the cardio.

Lena: In the books,
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Pam reveals to Sookie that she and Eric were lovers when Eric first turned her. If they follow that next season in the “Eric making Pam flashback,” will it be difficult for Kristin and Alex to be lovers on screen?

Ha Ha! Well, I’ll let you know when and if that happens. He is a very good friend so I assume we’ll be able to laugh about it.
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:08 am

Wow!! Can't believe I have yet to comment in this thread! :scared: Pam truly inspires and has to be one of the best characters in the True Blood/Southern Vampire Mystery Series! There is just never a dull moment or never a perfectly clever line full of intonation wasted on her!!!! :thumbsup: :wub:

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:37 am

Lol welcome to the vampire queen land! She is truly awesome :wub:
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:41 am

Amazing interview with Kristin Bauer from the colide.com!!!

Kristin Bauer van Straten Exclusive Interview TRUE BLOOD

On the HBO vampire series True Blood, actress Kristin Bauer van Straten plays fan favorite character Pam. As the offspring and primary aide of Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgard), her lethal instinct and keen fashion sense have made her a force to be reckoned with, and one of the most quoted characters on the show. With her Maker currently suffering from amnesia and her face rotting with no sign of repair, thanks to some nasty spells from a witch coven, Season 4 has had some crazy twists and turns for Pam, which are sure to get even crazier, as things head toward the season finale.

During a recent exclusive phone interview with Collider, Kristin Bauer van Straten talked about following her instincts when it comes to playing Pam, what it’s like to be remembered for her great one-liners rather than the nude scenes that much of the other cast has been known to do, how she still hasn’t gotten completely used to talking with the fangs, how much fun it’s been to explore a whole new side to Pam and her relationship with Eric, and how she can’t wait to get to work on Season 5 and learn about her character’s genesis in becoming a vampire. Check out what she had to say after the jump:

Question: How did you originally come to True Blood?

KRISTIN BAUER VAN STRATEN:
It was just another audition. All I knew was that it was HBO, which was enough for me to want to be part of it. Then, I knew it was Alan Ball, which was double enough. And then, I knew it was vampires. I didn’t want to know any more because that was already enough to make me nervous and want it. I didn’t know it was based on books and I didn’t know anything about Pam. I really tried to know as little as I could. You fall in love with these things, and then if you don’t get to play that role, it’s depressing. I just like to know what the lines are that I have to say. You’ve got to go in there and get the job. It doesn’t matter who’s behind it. I just remember looking at a couple pages of those great Pam one-liners and channeling my most dry, caustic self. And then, a few weeks later, I got a call that I got it.

Was there a point that you realized that fans of the show were loving the character of Pam, just as much as fans of the book were?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
I’m very leary of the internet because it can work both ways. It’s been a slow build to find out that Pam is very similar to the books. Where I really hear it is when I do appearances. The fans walk up to you and it’s a survey of how you’re doing at your job. I’ll hear certain lines like, “Blah blah vampire emergency blah.” After last season, I heard that back a lot and I thought, “Okay, I guess I did all right on that line.” People say, “I love the books. I’ve read all the books. And, you are just like I pictured.” And I think, “Oh my god, that’s lucky!” It just feels like that was lucky. And, it wasn’t just luck. It’s also really good writing by Charlaine [Harris] and Alan’s team because you get a very clear person of who the person is from the dialogue on the page.

Because Pam is quite free with her threats and use of curse words, did it take some getting used to, to deliver them the way that you need to, or did that come naturally?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
Sometimes I’ll read an audition and I’ll get a very strong first impression about who the person is, and I usually go with it. I’ve found, after year, that I don’t get better, the more I think about it, so for better or worse, I just will go with my first instinct. To me, that’s how Pam sounded. As we’ve continued – and it’s that real symbiotic relationship between the writers and me – they’re informing me on who Pam is by what they write. And then, they said to me, “Yeah, but you’re informing us because of the past delivery.” From the beginning, but especially now, I can’t imagine her any other way. But, every season, they’ll write something for Pam where I wouldn’t have thought she would react that way, and then once I do it that way, I think, “Oh my gosh, that’s brilliant.”
My acting teacher used to say that people reveal themselves in their opposites. This year, where I would have thought that Pam would crumble, she goes into fighter mode and kill mode, which I find really admirable. It makes me like her even more. It’s extremely fun to play, and hopefully it’s really entertaining. Pam is so unapologetic about all of it. She has no worry about being liked. It’s fun to play all the distinctively non-human traits. Unless you’re a serial killer, you’re worried about being liked by somebody. Her obsession with clothing, to me, is just a sign of having not a lot of other worries in life. She’s been freed from all the worries of being human – growing old, not having enough money, getting sick and dying – so why not think about your clothing. Clearly, she’s the top of the food chain, so all of that is fun to play.

Since this is such a huge cast and everyone has limited screen time, does it help that Pam gets the best and most memorable lines on the show?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
And, the clothing. I think that the writers and the wardrobe people really help Pam. Just walking in, in those outfits that they come up with, is a huge help.

Is it horrifying to find out what you’ll have to wear?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
The one thing I’ve come to figure out is this equation where the more uncomfortable I am, the better I’m going to look. I’m like, “This one really hurts. I must look awesome!” The corsets are uncomfortable, but they are so flattering. No, my waist will never be that small.

Has it been especially fun that you get to be remembered for your dialogue, as opposed to everyone talking about your nudity?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
It is! I also take it as a huge compliment on the writers. I just saw something online where it said, “Pam’s Top 10 One-Liners,” and I sent it to all the writers and said, “Thanks guys, good work.” It is really fun! I’d much rather have them quoting me.

Now that you’re in Season 4, have the fangs gotten easier to wear and talk in?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
No, for me, they haven’t. I don’t know what is wrong with me. Stephen Moyer has it down, and he gave me a good tip that did help, but I don’t know. I haven’t completely gotten it down. What I need to do is borrow them. I need to take them home and just walk around with them.

Viewers have gotten to see a very different side of Pam this season. Having played the character for four seasons now, was that especially fun for you to get to explore?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
I cannot even tell you how much fun I had this year, with this direction. When Alan told me about what would happen, with the witch putting a spell on my face, I thought, “Oh, she’s really going to fall apart and cry a lot.” He said, “No, she’s angry,” and I thought, “Right!” It was endlessly fun to play.

You’ve been working with Alexander Skarsgard for awhile, and developing the relationship and bond between Eric and Pam. Was it weird to turn that on its head, this season, with him having no memory?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
It was weird. For one, I did scenes with other people. Usually, he’s standing on my left or my right, and I got very comfortable with that. When I would see him in the parking lot, and he’d been off over at Sookie’s while I was running around in my own mess, we’d go, “Hey, when are we going to get back together in Fangtasia?” So, it has been different. It’s fun to branch out and get to do scenes with other people, but I’ve missed my Maker.

What can you say about what fans of the show can expect from the remainder of the season?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
It’s great how far and wide and all-encompassing the witches aim their spells. One thing I love about True Blood is that all the relationships are multi-faceted and complicated, just like our lives. So, Pam’s relationship to Eric has obviously shifted, horribly for her. She wants him to be a rock in her life, and he can’t be that, as of yet. Her relationship to Bill – and it’s so much fun that she hates him, or doesn’t respect him – leaves her now having to work with him. And, her relationship with Sookie is very interesting because she is also attracted to her, but Eric doesn’t want to share, so Pam is also jealous. It’s a fascinating season, with the alliances that are formed and the battles that happen. Where we end up, at the end of this season, is fascinating. Right now, I just can’t wait to see Episode 1 of Season 5.

Now that you’ve had the Comic-Con experience, what’s it like to have that instant feedback from people who are so loyal to the show?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
It’s really fun! We’re basically finished shooting the show before people get to see it. So, for me, it feels like, for six or seven months, I just hang out with my buddies and goof around. That’s the part that I love about acting. I love being on the set, and I love being on the set with these people, particularly, and with these writers, costumers and set designers. Everybody is so good at what they do. HBO hires, I think, the best I’ve ever worked with. I forget that this is a TV show that people are going to watch. The network is paying us for a reason, so they actually have a product. For me, the product is the day. So, it’s very interesting to move into this totally different, unrelated phase of people seeing it, and it’s nerve-wracking. It always feels different watching myself than doing it. It feels bigger in my head. And then, I watch it and go, “Oh, yeah, I was okay.” I really enjoy watching everybody else’s stuff. But then, hearing back from fans is so fascinating and interesting, and also nerve-wracking and totally rewarding. To hear that you’re doing something that other people are enjoying, it’s a fun game. It’s like hitting a tennis ball over the net, and somebody hits it back. That’s what it feels like with the fans. It feels like someone else is participating in my creation, and it’s quite incredible. It’s definitely a different stage to this process.

When you walk out on that Comic-Con stage and there’s 5,000 people there, and you just see flashes everywhere, you go, “My god, I’m on a big show!” It goes from just goofing around with your buddies to, “Holy ****!” I thought that I would be completely relaxed for the second year, but I realized that I was not completely relaxed. Five thousand people is a thing. We perform for each other on True Blood. All of a sudden, there’s an audience, and it’s you’re audience, and they’re watching you and you’re hearing back from them. We have really, really, really great fans, though. They’re amazing. They’re having so much fun. They’re really participating in the creation of it.

With so many people asking you to bite them all the time, what made you decide to draw the line at only biting TV interviews?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
It was one of those things where I’ve always said no. I have never once said I would bite anyone. And, there was Mario [Lopez], with his dimples, curly hair and eyelashes, and he’s so genuinely sweet, and I just, all of a sudden, had an out-of-body experience where I saw it happening. It felt completely correct, for some odd reason I can’t even explain. He’s incredibly sweet. It was probably the dimples, wasn’t it?

What are you looking forward to seeing, with Season 5?

BAUER VAN STRATEN:
I am excited about the flashback, to see the genesis of my being made. That will be great. At a certain point, everybody gets their flashback of when they were made, and that will be pretty fun. There are so many unanswered questions in my mind about Eric and Pam meeting and beginning. That will be fun. All we have is, “I’m not a hooker,” which was a long, long time ago. Was that before her being a vampire? Was that after? And, she speaks with a Southern accent and also Swedish. When you move around, you pick up accents and languages. So, I’m fascinated.
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]