[Official] True Blood Ep. 4.09 Discussion

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] True Blood Ep. 4.09 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:58 am

"Let's Get Out of Here"

9:00PM

Discuss the latest True Blood episode here.

Convalescing after her latest near-death trauma, Sookie envisions a world where there’s room for both Bill and Eric. Jesus tries to purge the restless spirit out of Lafayette; Marcus enlists Alcide to help him deal with the Sam situation; Bill and Nan Flanagan clash over their respective agendas; Hoyt asks Jason to make a delivery to Jessica. Despite Tara and Holly’s misgivings, Marnie plots her next move against the vampires, during a “Festival of Tolerance” event at Shreveport.

Written by Brian Buckner.
Directed by Romeo Tirone

Source: HBO

Check STV.com/TrueBlood for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] True Blood Ep. 4.09 Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:53 am

Weird episode.....very weird.

It's left me a bit confused to be honest.

EDIT: I didn't like this episode. :no:
Last edited by PandaVamp on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Miss Ford on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:54 am

Sawyer5665 wrote:I didn't like this episode. :no:

why?
I, personally, felt like nothing really happened... did u have this feeling too? :hmm: I liked Sookie and Debbie scenes, they were all crazy and strange together :rofl:
Sookie dream was... humm well, funny, the music was so cheesy LOL I thought it was also very sexy, I would looove to have Anna Paquin's job, specially in a day like this!
Lafayette, the spirit, the baby and everything, it was okay, I can see where the writers are going with this plot, Jesus being such a powerful brujo that he could make the spirit brake her connection with Lafayette
Also loved the scene when the lady says good bye to Lafaytte... (Ghost lady: "Thank you"/Laff: "You got it, bitc.h") do funny Loveeeee Lala! :thumbup:

I have to watch it again, I still have this feeling that the episode didnt bring any new big information (or maybe Im reading too many spoilers...... possible... :hmm: lol)

oh oh ohh I almost forgot!! TARAA!!!!! :w00t: first I thought there Tara goes point that gun to Sookie ... :roll: but them she did a 0,0001% redemption effort with of that reading my mind sookie thingy!! A point for Tara this week!! go Tara, you can do it!! :thumbup:
ImageImageImage
'Tell her I was born the night she found me,
and because of her, I went to my true death knowing
what it means to love. Tell her: Thank You.
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:24 am

Miss Ford wrote:Also loved the scene when the lady says good bye to Lafaytte... (Ghost lady: "Thank you"/Laff: "You got it, bitc.h") do funny Loveeeee Lala! :thumbup:

I don't know why I thought "You got it, bitc.h" was so funny, but I absolutely lost it when he said that. My girl had a stfu look on her face cause I was laughing well into the next scene. :lol: Loved how they kept LaFayette in character during a scene that was supposed to be sweet and heartfelt.

Miss Ford wrote:I have to watch it again, I still have this feeling that the episode didnt bring any new big information (or maybe Im reading too many spoilers...... possible... :hmm: lol)

This felt like the penultimate episode to me, but there's 12 total episodes, right? Usually the second to last episode is just a set-up epi where all the characters move to where they need to be and whatnot, and that's exactly how this one felt, imo. Overall I liked it, though. Or, at least, I didn't dislike it. I'm starting to really like the Marcus/Alcide dynamic. I can understand where both guys are coming from in regards to how they do things. I guess we're supposed to think Marcus is a prick but he's cool with me; plus I like the werewolves in general.

Was anyone else expecting Andy (or to a lesser degree, Terry) to get killed off during the standoff at Hoyt's house? I thought Andy was going to storm into the house and get shot, but it sadly didn't happen. :P I'm hoping his story gets tied into one of the other major storylines soon cause I'm starting to get sick of it. Seems useless, imo.

One thing about the episode I didn't like: no Pam. :mad: While I liked the exchange between Nan and Jessica... Nan is no Pam.
Last edited by Thirty-Fiver on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby Miss Ford on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:41 am

Thirty-Fiver wrote:I don't know why I thought "You got it, bitc.h" was so funny, but I absolutely lost it when he said that. My girl had a stfu look on her face cause I was laughing well into the next scene. :lol: Loved how they kept LaFayette in character during a scene that was supposed to be sweet and heartfelt.

^^ Perfect! I was like: awww how sweet and then he comes with the b word out of nowhere! just amazing!! :rofl: :rofl:

Thirty-Fiver wrote:This felt like the penultimate episode to me, but there's 12 total episodes, right? Usually the second to last episode is just a set-up epi where all the characters move to where they need to be and whatnot, and that's exactly how this one felt, imo. Overall I liked it, though. Or, at least, I didn't dislike it.

Yeah, I know what you mean... it was so strange the hour passed and in the end I was what?? one more week to things really happen!! :cursing:

Thirty-Fiver wrote: One thing about the episode I didn't like: no Pam. :mad: While I liked the exchange between Nan and Jessica... Nan is no Pam.

Yeah! I totally missed Pam, but maybe when she feels Eric is in danger maybe she will show up there!!

Since the gifs are welcome, I had to post some here... well Nan is so acid! I love her and when she bitchin.g Bill is when we get the best lines (those are not mine, I didnt have time do any yet, but had to share!)
ImageImage
ImageImage
:rofl:
ImageImageImage
'Tell her I was born the night she found me,
and because of her, I went to my true death knowing
what it means to love. Tell her: Thank You.
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:53 am

Yea I really liked Bill this episode. I can't remember what he said, but I liked how he snapped at Alcide in the cold open. I saw that some people weren't happy with Bill early on this season, but I've really enjoyed his character more than I ever have since him and Sookie have been broken up. He's just too romantic and soft with her around.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:29 pm

Maybe nothing really happened during this episode to move the story forward, but for sure I had a lot of fun... I think we can call it transition episode, and that only means that next one will be filled. At least, that's what I think.

Anyway...

- Love Sam and Luna together... :wub: sadly, she comes with a lot of baggage. Oh, what the hell! If she didn't, this wouldn't be True Blood, right?

- Holy... Lafayette (Mavis) getting into Hoyt's house with Arlene's baby. That made me :rofl: nonstop. I loved the whole thing. (Nelsan Ellis, you are simply fantastic :hail:). Plus, I have to admit the Mavis' story breaks my heart... so sad. :( When they found them buried, aww, that exact part truly moved me... :cry: But then Jesus cut it with his crazy brujo stuff. :P You got it, bitch. :lol: Oh, I love True Blood, it is drama disguised as kitschy, raunchy, silly comedy. :thumbsup:

- Sookie's dream... from the second she opened the door I could see in his eyes that was the old Eric, and I loved it! :w00t: Then you see his clothing and it is obvious, but really, I am thankful she dreamed of him and not amnesia Eric, because I really, really miss old Eric... also, it hints that, subconsciously, that's the vampire she's truly attracted to and not only his amnesia version. :D

I think it is very possible to love two people at the same time... now, reality is, Sookeh, you won't be able to have both, you'll have to choose one or neither. The dream? It was quite sexy, for sure, but poor thing, that was the blood of both vampires doing most of the talking, I think.

- Debbie and Sookie working together... weird, but funny. Of course, I keep thinking Debbie will snap anytime soon and I have the feeling she will be worse than before. :unsure:

- Tara says she's sick of all the weirdness and the supernatural... then why does she follow all that stuff so closely? :bored: It is not like it is following her, you know, but she always manages to be right in the eye of the storm. And she has the nerve to ask Sookie "How **** stupid can you be?" WHAT?! :roll: Are you projecting on her, Tara? Ridiculous! Go back to the New Orleans' cage fighting, like Pam said, I won't miss you, not even a bit. :bored:

- Banana Flan's (that's how the campblood.org guys call her and I love it) tolerance event attempt was pretty lame, in my humble opinion, and like Bill said, a freaking stupid move considering a witch, who happens to have big power over them, is out there with a 1000 years old vampire under her spell. :roll:

- Finally, I knew it was only a matter of time until Jason had sex with Jessica but, at the same time, I had some hope left they didn't... Are you kidding me, Jessica? You just broke up with Hoyt and then have sex with his best friend? I don't know if you don't know what friendship means, but let me tell you, you just have helped BIG time to ruin one. I didn't like you last night, and for sure didn't like Jason either. :thumbsdown: Hoyt is your friend, you moron. :cursing:

Thirty-Fiver wrote:One thing about the episode I didn't like: no Pam. :mad: While I liked the exchange between Nan and Jessica... Nan is no Pam.

Yeah, I really missed Pam during this episode. For sure Banana Flan is not Pam awesome. :P

Thirty-Fiver wrote:Yea I really liked Bill this episode. I can't remember what he said, but I liked how he snapped at Alcide in the cold open. I saw that some people weren't happy with Bill early on this season, but I've really enjoyed his character more than I ever have since him and Sookie have been broken up. He's just too romantic and soft with her around.

Exactly what I think. Not being around Sookie brings out the best out of Bill. Oh, you know what they say about love... :P

Miss Ford wrote:Since the gifs are welcome, I had to post some here... well Nan is so acid! I love her and when she bitchin.g Bill is when we get the best lines (those are not mine, I didnt have time do any yet, but had to share!)
ImageImage
ImageImage
:rofl:

Ha! Great. :thumbsup:

Putting Lafayette's aside, my favourite lines of the whole episode were hers, specially during this scene:

Nan: There have been times, I'll admit, when it's occurred to me that maybe I should put my career on hold and become a maker, but these last several hours here with you have erased those doubts, forever.
Jessica: You are nothing like you are on TV.
Nan: Aww, thanks.

:P :lol:

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Panda, Tara said that to not blow anyone's cover to keep herself and the other hostages safe. IMO it was smart and gutsy of her...it was clear from when Sookie listened to Tara's thought's that Tara didn't mean what she was saying, that it was a front for Antonia--as Tara helped Sookie escape. Granted I want way more from here, but it's interesting that she seems to be getting more aquanted with Holly...So far Tara is just stuck there...I am seriously in need of a change!

Also even though Tara says she wants out from the supernatural, I think it became more obvious in last night's ep that she might realize that even though she left and had this other anti-supernatural life, it was a lie and she came back to see Sookie----she still cares about the people of Bon Temps...I just think between Pam over dramatically accusing and threatening her, and what happened with Franklin, Atonia's offer sounded like justice...but it's beyond that now and Tara hopefully knows it.

Laffeyette and Mavis scenes were fantastic!!! and I think have really opened up an interesting plane for TB...so if any human characters die maybe it won't be the last of them...

I was so impressed that Andy could hold down Terry, and for the first time on the show I heard Terry say something horrible to another human being! :scared: --Arlene too was so much calmer than usual...we're really seeing different sides to these people.

I totally love Jason this season! He's really man-ed up and has tried to the right thing by everyone---and oh finally Jessica got what she wanted! --But I am still waiting for some shoe to drop with Crystal and the werepanthers...especially if Crystal would of actually gotten pregnant O.o

Oh and no Pam! :scared: --But the scene between Jess and Nan, and even scenes between Bill and Nan almost make up for it. :lol:

I think Marcus is going to prove to be one of the worst evils of the season...I think his hatred is going to get a lot of people killed and I think Debbie is going to get caught in the cross fire. She just wants to belong and feel good about herself so badly, that she surely is going to be manipulated.

I too think it's possible to have deep feelings for more than one person, but I also think eventually once you get to know people better, it becomes clearer whom you feel more inclined to be with. (Ethical commonuity will rear it's ugly head) --but since this is TB, I could see this being a long process unless some of these guys die off :cry:

As much as I loath Tommy, I have to say he is just gluten for punishment! I hate seeing characters that love to be beaten to death and act all loyal, when yet they are the biggest screw-ups on the planet and invite brutal violence to no end (but seeing Sam do his Tommy impression again was fun!)

Once again this episode went by the fastest yet!!!!!!! How is it that there are only 3 episodes left?? I feel like we just got started... :S :S :S :S

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:47 pm

DarthLocke wrote:Panda, Tara said that to not blow anyone's cover to keep herself and the other hostages safe. IMO it was smart and gutsy of her...it was clear from when Sookie listened to Tara's thought's that Tara didn't mean what she was saying, that it was a front for Antonia--as Tara helped Sookie escape.

I don't mean her move to help Sookie, I mean her welcome words to Sookie while Antonia was talking to Debbie, unaware Sookie was there. Watch it again and you'll see that the "God damn, Sook... How **** stupid can you be?" line is not part of the "heroic" cover that came later. It is part of her typical, aggressive, higher than you, judgemental attitude

In all honesty, her move to "help" her friend didn't impress me because it should have come before and not when she was under pressure, as simple as that. Also, what she had to do was to immediately lower her gun and, seeing Antonia was distracted, quietly, truly help Sookie, not give everyone time to find out she was there, thanks to crazy jealous Debbie... why did she keep pointing her gun at her? I don't know, I'm sorry, it wasn't enough for me, not even close to being enough.

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:13 pm

PandaVamp wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:Panda, Tara said that to not blow anyone's cover to keep herself and the other hostages safe. IMO it was smart and gutsy of her...it was clear from when Sookie listened to Tara's thought's that Tara didn't mean what she was saying, that it was a front for Antonia--as Tara helped Sookie escape.

I don't mean her move to help Sookie, I mean her welcome words to Sookie while Antonia was talking to Debbie, unaware Sookie was there. Watch it again and you'll see that the "God damn, Sook... How **** stupid can you be?" line is not part of the "heroic" cover that came later. It is part of her typical, aggressive, higher than you, judgemental attitude

In all honesty, her move to "help" her friend didn't impress me because it should have come before and not when she was under pressure, as simple as that. Also, what she had to do was to immediately lower her gun and, seeing Antonia was distracted, quietly, truly help Sookie, not give everyone time to find out she was there, thanks to crazy jealous Debbie... why did she keep pointing her gun at her? I don't know, I'm sorry, it wasn't enough for me, not even close to being enough.

Sometimes it's not our words that define us, but our actions can reveal the real meaning...

Actually both in season 2 and 3 there are times where I want to shake Sookie because of how unfairly she treats Tara (in addition to not cleverly thinking ahead)...Once was when she wouldn't help her rescue Eggs, if it were Bill (and now Eric) there would no stopping Sookie (and everyone just goes with it no matter what the cost)...then on top of it, Sookie helped Eggs remember despite not asking Tara at all what Tara thought about it, which caused him to go a little more nuts...then in season 3 Sookie did go after Bill and she never thinks about the possibility of traps she is walking into (Bill often was mad at her about this and Eric too was like, "you're gonna get yourself killed." and if Alcide didn't try and come up with a plan, things could have gotten worse)...in both cases with Russell and Antonia, if Tara wouldn't have been there, Sookie wouldn't have been able to escape. Sookie too never really stops to think what Tara has been through, she just plows ahead with her own needs and expects everyone to join her cause. Granted I am more forgiving of Sookie because she is the heroine of the series and because despite being a bit naive about other beings, she usually means well and is a symbol of "goodness" to the series.

But---Sookie is suppose to be Tara's best friend and be there for her, because Sookie knows that Tara has had it much worse than she has and Sookie is more capable of ethical choices, and so many times she hasn't been, she's been chasing after her hot vamps!--and then Sookie ends up oh-so surprised to find Tara in the middle of everything...

Tara pointed the gun at her to be "authentic". She had to make it look like they were still on Atonia's side so they wouldn't all die (because I think Marnie's ambitions are far worse than Atonia's alone - see Fiona Shaw Interview in General Discussion Thread for my meaning).

Like I said in another post, I think it's wrong to expect some kind of perfectly functional being since Tara's whole life runs on the dysfunctional. Tara has BIG problems, but to say Tara is stupid is also a mistake, because completely stupid people most likely wouldn't have survived as long as she has, and unlike Sookie she has no powers to save herself when in dire need. She is quick to think, quick to con. She could have taken a happier reunion, but everyone else, including Sookie, might have been the expense if Tara didn't act the way she did and knew Sookie well enough that Sookie would read her thoughts. Despite being constantly annoyed by the repetition of Tara's actions/decisions, I can't blame her for some of them. -Like wanting to believe in herself (MaryAnne) and wanting Justice for some super abusive behavior (Franklin/Her Mother)

Does this set things right? --Heck no!! :lol: I agree not enough, but to me she isn't a complete loss cause yet either--she is Sookie's female counter contrast-- a polar opposite -a type of alter ego. (which is probably why it's so easy to dislike her)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:49 pm

I repeat, Tara didn't need to be authentic because Antonia wasn't watching at the moment, she was talking to Debbie, and was unaware of the whole thing, so no need to act. If I hear some noise and go pointing out a gun but then find out it is a friend who's there, sorry, I would do a relief gesture or something like that and put the gun down.Then check out what's happening with Antonia and act accordingly. I just know I'd be deeply hurt if a friend keeps pointing a gun at me if no one is watching, a gun is not something to play with.

Since day one, Tara has been highly judgemental of Sookie's relationship with vampires, reprimending her like she was a little girl, she's her friend not her mother. She hates the supernatural? Fine! If she does, why does she keep mixing herself with it? Sookie is not precisely pushing her there. I truly thought the Maryann experience would be enough to make of her a more sensible person, and precisely because I know she's not stupid I was expecting this. How wrong I was.

About Sookie not letting Tara go and save Eggs after she had to put her out of the dark place she was, it wasn't only Sookie, if I remember well, it was also her mother and Lafayette. And Eggs desperately pushed Sookie to help him remember... I agree she shouldn't have done it, but it is not like she's the one who shot him and he insisted pretty badly.

I was relatively okay with Tara until she went to Sookie's to tell her how bad she felt because she lied to Naomi, blah blah blah, and as soon as she saw Eric was there, didn't even let Sookie explain or blink. My problem with her is that Tara expects others to do for her what she can't do for them, she judges others but is, apparently, incapable of seeing her own faults, like she's the only one with real problems. I just think that living where she lives, being who she is, and going through all she has, should actually make her a more understanding person, not someone as close minded and volatile as she is.

But the whole thing is, this is not about what them have done in the past to protect one another. The questions are: would Sookie keep pointing the gun at Tara if no one was watching? Would Sookie try to kill Tara's boyfriend/significant other if she had the chance because she feels hurt against a whole race thanks to what one psycho did to her? I honestly don't think so. Might be the only one, but I won't cheer for Tara. I'm not expecting her to be perfect, no one is perfect on the show, but her aggressive, over reactive demeanour and incapacity to understand others bothers me to no end.

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Rebel on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 pm

It was cool. It seemed a total billed up for the season's last few episodes.

True Blood's enchanting princess...
Rebel
Guest Star

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:20 pm

Everyone treats Sookie like a child, because Sookie is one compared to everyone else -Tara is no exception to talking down to Sookie. (Bill, Eric, Alcide, Russull, Sam, Arelene) Tara is the one who saved Sookies life in Jackson--Tara could have not tried to reach out to her and/or left her there and she didn't despite her dislike of the whole situation---So Tara does sometimes do things that she would expect from others, save her friends life and even Bill's...(I did not forget that Sookie saved Tara's life from Maryanne, but she did not save Eggs and Maryanne wouldn't have been so effective if Tara believed that Sookie really cared for her at that point)

It's hard to say who would do what if this and that were different, because it comes down to what all is happened to everyone in general...If Bill wouldn't have sent Eric to Moon Goodess, If Tara didn't return home, If Sookie didn't disappear for a year, if Jesus wouldn't have brought Tara and Lafayette to Moon Goddess, if Bill wouldn't have lied repeatedly to Sookie, if Sookie would think that Bill might lie to save her life, if Tara wasn't abused as a kid and didn't live in a raciest town, if Sam wouldn't have stolen from Maryanne, if Sam's adopted parents and real parent were only good people, if Pam didn't rely on Eric for her WHOLE identity and wouldn't falsly accuse others, if Nan never met Bill, ect, ect, ect...we wouldn't have this complicated crazy-fun show!

I don't disagree that Tara isn't screwed up, or that she is in a position to judge anyone, but really none of the characters are!!...even Sookie, simply because until recently, she could not relate to the harsh realities the rest of the characters have experienced. She doesn't understand or believe in politics, she hasn't been raped or physically abused, grown up in a hateful dysfunctional family, or have her body taken over by another being repeatedly. In fact it was breath of fresh air when Sookie lost it and put Talbot's remains down the garbage disposal. She finally showed some humanity in that scene, instead of being other worldly and acting like she is better, when it could be argued that it's also she has a lack of experience in connecting and understanding others...(one reason why her relationship failed with Bill--she couldn't see through what he was doing and her attempting to rescue him and him lying to her about his original intentions in Bon Temps put them all in serious danger)

On another note, I also think Sookie is meant to help those she cares about come back to their humility (their goodness--like Godric).

It's True that both Sookie and Tara need to think about the people/beings in the other's life---neither one has mastered this and that's something that is missing and what is stopping their evolution as beings--Sookie needs to remember what others went through and why it's hard for them to make "good" decisions and to just simply trust, and Tara needs to think about how her often rash decisions can effect others and destroy lives further. Tara needs to look inward and find forgiveness and acceptence and Sookie needs to look outward and remember not everyone wants everyone to live happily ever after and bad things happen to good people.

Really the way they are written is like a set of opposite sisters...it's more interesting than annoying when I think about it from this point of view.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Michelle on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:44 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Deb or maybe I missed it. I am not 100% trusting her, I feel she is trying to get close to Sookie and stab her in the back at the first opportunity she gets. I'm thinking Deb might be a goner by seasons end.
Michelle
Emmy Nominee

Postby frekkells on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 pm

PandaVamp wrote:Putting Lafayette's aside, my favourite lines of the whole episode were hers, specially during this scene:

Nan: There have been times, I'll admit, when it's occurred to me that maybe I should put my career on hold and become a maker, but these last several hours here with you have erased those doubts, forever.
Jessica: You are nothing like you are on TV.
Nan: Aww, thanks.

:P :lol:

Loved the Lafayette storyline this week. Loved Terry and Jesus. It was touching and Nelsan Ellis did a great job.

Nan's line above was the best of the week. :thumbsup:

DartheLocke wrote:As much as I loath Tommy, I have to say he is just gluten for punishment! I hate seeing characters that love to be beaten to death and act all loyal, when yet they are the biggest screw-ups on the planet and invite brutal violence to no end (but seeing Sam do his Tommy impression again was fun!)

Sam playing Tommy as Sam is some of the best I've seen on this show. Sam has Tommy's walk and talk nailed and does a great job.
And I love to hear Alcide growl and watch him walk to bed naked, what can I say? :wub:
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Next

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]