[Official] True Blood Ep. 4.10 Discussion

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] True Blood Ep. 4.10 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:00 am

"Burning Down the House"

9:00PM

Discuss the latest True Blood episode here.

As all hell breaks loose in Shreveport, Sookie summons her most potent powers yet to save Bill, in the process breaking a spell and leading Marnie to re-evaluate her mission. Jason urges Jessica to glamour him for Hoyt’s sake; Terry drags Andy to “Fort Bellefleur” for an intervention; Alcide reconsiders his allegiances after Marcus’ fight with Tommy. Jesus, accompanied by Sookie, Lafayette and Jason, tries to breach the Moongoddess Emporium’s defenses to liberate Tara and Holly, while Bill leads a brigade of vampires committed to blowing the place to kingdom come.

Written by Nancy Oliver.
Directed by Lesli Linka Glatter.

Source: HBO

Check STV.com/TrueBlood for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] True Blood Ep. 4.10 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Well I really liked this one--but want to watch it again before I get more into it!

I was glad to see that I Marnie was the REAL culprit of destruction, rather than Atonia, because it adds an interesting element to their identity and communion. --And now we know how Marnie feels about everyone...In addition this whole thing makes me rethink Drew Marshall and Rene`!!--and I wonder if there will be something to that, since it started out that some spirit was along side/within baby Michael...

I also loved Jesus's powers and wonder if like Fea, if demons or half demons can be good or bad (thinking about philosophies like Shinto), if they are within and/or along side similar to how a spirit has been seen( Mavis/Antonia)...and that also makes wonder about Tara and her mother back in season one--even though Miss Jeanette seemed like fraud, still Maryanne "heard her" and came...

It was sad to see Tommy die, even though the Mickens have always been my least favorite characters in the history of the show, but I also have to wonder if it really is the end of him---On story telling note I think it was a good way to connect Sam with Alcide and to get Sam more involved with other shifters/weres....

I am also really liking Holly. So far she really has been nothing but a strong thoughtful positive influence and I am interested to see where the goes...

It was also nice to see a darker side to Terry - to learn a little bit about why Andy and Terry are the way they are.

Plus these songs at the end of the eps are GREAT this year---I have never heard a techno-electronic version of "Burning Down the House", but is was awesome!

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Im glad Sookeh finally chose her best friend over her cold dildo's for once.
And Im glad the dildo's chose their own over Sookehs best friend :)
Even though Tommy's death scene was sad Im glad to see him go.
Old Eric is back, but is still annoying around Sookeh and he didnt even call Pam...what a ****.
Marnie is one loony lady.
Hated this "Burning Down the House" cover...but I hate almost everything by The Used.
The ending had me rolling on the floor.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Great episode. :D

- I don't know if I missed something but if Sookie broke Antonia's spells, why are the other two shreriffs still under her control? How could she take them with her?

Those disappearing acts she does are new as well, right? Do you think they turned invisible or it was some kind of teletransportation? I don't know, but gives me the impression she's either getting more powerful by the minute or we are being fooled. I mean, is there anything necromancers can't do? :lol:

- Man, it hurts, but I didn't like Jessica last night either. :unsure: She was a little bit too selfish when she could have kind of mended what they did by glamouring stupid, -I only think with my genitals- Jason. By their conversation, seems to me she really doesn't know what real friendship means and that sucks. Other than my personal views about them both, I like the whole feeling they are giving to the story, it is quite realistic. Also, it was about time to start staining Jessica's perfect white shirt.

- Finally! Tommy is gone for good. Yeah, it was sad to see Sam sad, and yeah, all Tommy went through was sad, but he really didn't have much else to do and he was freaking annoying, so I can't hide I'm glad.

- I have the little feeling that, ultimately, Bill won't win the argument against Banana Flan. :unsure: Might be wrong, but I don't think he will stay king forever and all that's happening between them will probably have to do with it. I just don't think the Authority will remove her. Now, I'm kind of sure he won't miss most his duties at the end of the day. ;)

- Finally, saving best for last. :P I'm so, so glad Eric is back. :w00t: YAY! And I'm also glad he told Sookie he remembers all and that he assured her that that Eric is still there, only with a plus. :wub: I loved it, he was open honest with Soookie about his feelings, no poses, and she was also clean open with him. The fact she told him she still loves Bill made me respect her so much more. :thumbup: She didn't hesitate and I loved her for that. Honesty is heavily underrated on this show, so I quite appreciated their exchange.

dutchie wrote:Hated this "Burning Down the House" cover...but I hate almost everything by The Used.

Me too. I didn't know who they were, but the vocals sounded to me a lot like other dude from Linkin Park, so I wasn't pleased. :lol: Whatever... I was honestly expecting Talking Heads.

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby dutchie on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:48 pm

PandaVamp wrote: Man, it hurts, but I didn't like Jessica last night either. :unsure: She was a little bit too selfish when she could have kind of mended what they did by glamouring stupid, -I only think with my genitals- Jason. By their conversation, seems to me she really doesn't know what real friendship means and that sucks. Other than my personal views about them both, I like the whole feeling they are giving to the story, it is quite realistic. Also, it was about time to start staining Jessica's perfect white shirt.

It takes two to tango and it would be unfair to Jessica and to easy for Jason to glamour him. They both have to live/be dead with it. And we should not forget that she is very young.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:58 pm

dutchie wrote:
PandaVamp wrote: Man, it hurts, but I didn't like Jessica last night either. :unsure: She was a little bit too selfish when she could have kind of mended what they did by glamouring stupid, -I only think with my genitals- Jason. By their conversation, seems to me she really doesn't know what real friendship means and that sucks. Other than my personal views about them both, I like the whole feeling they are giving to the story, it is quite realistic. Also, it was about time to start staining Jessica's perfect white shirt.

It takes two to tango and it would be unfair to Jessica and to easy for Jason to glamour him. They both have to live/be dead with it. And we should not forget that she is very young.

Yeah, that's true. Also, don't misunderstand me, I know Jason is the worst here. She broke up with Hoyt but it is not like Jason did, so he's a real traitor. Now, I still can't help feeling mad at them both. I hope Hoyt never finds out because I think it will kill him... or he will kill Jason. :unsure:

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby dutchie on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:00 pm

PandaVamp wrote:
dutchie wrote:

Yeah, that's true. Also, don't misunderstand me, I know Jason is the worst here. She broke up with Hoyt but it is not like Jason did, so he's a real traitor. Now, I still can't help feeling mad at them both. I hope Hoyt never finds out because I think it will kill him... or he will kill Jason. :unsure:

Well, this is tv, so Hoyt is probably going to find out :D
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:02 pm

dutchie wrote:
PandaVamp wrote:
dutchie wrote:

Well, this is tv, so Hoyt is probably going to find out :D

Hahaha. And he will probably try to kill Jason... should be fun, right? :P

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:53 pm

PandaVamp wrote:Great episode. :D

- I don't know if I missed something but if Sookie broke Antonia's spells, why are the other two shreriffs still under her control? How could she take them with her?

Those disappearing acts she does are new as well, right? Do you think they turned invisible or it was some kind of teletransportation? I don't know, but gives me the impression she's either getting more powerful by the minute or we are being fooled. I mean, is there anything necromancers can't do? :lol:

The first time I saw her do it was when they met at the grave yard--they suddenly appeared so I am assuming she can apparate (teleport) and/or move at different speeds...

I was also expecting Talking Heads, but that is probably why they didn't use that version of the song--in addition I have noticed all the end songs are more modern--electric--pop-rock--Brit- this year, instead of strange country-bluegrass-root songs---playing on expanding the TB universe and perhaps Bill and Nan's political ties of origin, as it seems they are coming head to head. Even the way the characters dress this season is a little more 'normal' and not so back-woods....(marketing most likely)...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:32 pm

DarthLocke wrote:The first time I saw her do it was when they met at the grave yard--they suddenly appeared so I am assuming she can apparate (teleport) and/or move at different speeds...

See? I totally forgot that. Thanks, Darth. :)

Now, I keep wondering why are the other two sheriffs still under her control? If it is because Sookie only removed Eric's spell, then why does it seem that Pam doesn't smell rotten dead now? The supes doctor only made her look like new, but she truly couldn't cure her, if I'm not wrong.

I am confused by this. :S

I was also expecting Talking Heads, but that is probably why they didn't use that version of the song--in addition I have noticed all the end songs are more modern--electric--pop-rock--Brit- this year, instead of strange country-bluegrass-root songs---playing on expanding the TB universe and perhaps Bill and Nan's political ties of origin, as it seems they are coming head to head. Even the way the characters dress this season is a little more 'normal' and not so back-woods....(marketing most likely)...

Yeah, that makes sense. I just thought that as they used Siouxie and the Banshees' Spellbound the other day, we could get Talking Heads. I know maybe their style wouldn't have fit the ending, but I had to listen to the original as soon as it was over. :P

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby frekkells on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:34 pm

DarthLocke wrote:It was sad to see Tommy die, even though the Mickens have always been my least favorite characters in the history of the show, but I also have to wonder if it really is the end of him---On story telling note I think it was a good way to connect Sam with Alcide and to get Sam more involved with other shifters/weres....

Sam and Alcide working together, my two favorites. :wub: I guess I'm the only one going to miss Tommy. RIP :(

I didn't even realize that I missed the old Eric til he came back.

I finally figured out why I'm not liking the witches. Besides the fact I don't consider them supernatural in the same way vamps, weres and shapeshifters are supernatural; I don't think Marnie/Antonia is as good a bad guy as Russell was, or even Maryann. I didn't like season 2 when the bad guy was Steve Newlin either, he was too much of a tedious superficial religious figure, not really a good bad guy. Russell and Maryann always seemed like they were having fun causing mayhem. Marnia/Antonia is smug and arrogant and doesn't look like she is having fun being that way. Blah, Jesus was too nice to her.
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:28 pm

frekkells wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:It was sad to see Tommy die, even though the Mickens have always been my least favorite characters in the history of the show, but I also have to wonder if it really is the end of him---On story telling note I think it was a good way to connect Sam with Alcide and to get Sam more involved with other shifters/weres....

Sam and Alcide working together, my two favorites. :wub: I guess I'm the only one going to miss Tommy. RIP :(

I didn't even realize that I missed the old Eric til he came back.

I finally figured out why I'm not liking the witches. Besides the fact I don't consider them supernatural in the same way vamps, weres and shapeshifters are supernatural; I don't think Marnie/Antonia is as good a bad guy as Russell was, or even Maryann. I didn't like season 2 when the bad guy was Steve Newlin either, he was too much of a tedious superficial religious figure, not really a good bad guy. Russell and Maryann always seemed like they were having fun causing mayhem. Marnia/Antonia is smug and arrogant and doesn't look like she is having fun being that way. Blah, Jesus was too nice to her.

Actually, that is why I like Marnie, because she is a hard character to just hate and she's more serious rather than funny.--It's clear she has been SO desperate for some kind of connection to something bigger than herself for so long, that the power of Antonia only feeds into her world of loneliness and need for control. I also heard a lot of people in the Wiccan community are not found of Marnie's portrayal, but I think if they are paying attention, then they can see that Marnie is like many desperate people who are looking for a belief system they can twist and use to their own making (terrorism: drug lords, Al Queda, KKK, ect). --I think if they would look to Holly they would see something closer to the original meanings in the philosophy itself and realize Marnie has just become a rotten apple...

It was good Jesus was nice to her and wanted to have faith in her, because otherwise he may not have appeared genuine and he might not have been able to call upon the demon to get him through the wall...--It goes back to Sophie Anne --everything that exists imagined itself into existence (there for all beings are connected because nature and/or super nature is about the mechanics and the beliefs in it, to believe in it is to create it, is to manifest it...) don't under estimate the power of blind faith. It bends the rules of physics or breaks them entirely.

I think the whole season really plays on transformation and changes in identity and it's a deeper season, as I feel it adds a whole new texture back onto the whole series, as things are realistically (not to be confused with supernatural) complicated socially.

I even like how some of you are disappointed in Jess---the series is true to life then, because we all can't be the same all the time...we all see sides to each other or meet people that aren't exactly like other people we have met and true blood plays with this on every level, from every perspective.

PandaVamp wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:The first time I saw her do it was when they met at the grave yard--they suddenly appeared so I am assuming she can apparate (teleport) and/or move at different speeds...

See? I totally forgot that. Thanks, Darth. :)

Now, I keep wondering why are the other two sheriffs still under her control? If it is because Sookie only removed Eric's spell, then why does it seem that Pam doesn't smell rotten dead now? The supes doctor only made her look like new, but she truly couldn't cure her, if I'm not wrong.

I am confused by this. :S

Sure!

Yeah--that's a good question. Maybe Sookie only broke Antonia's spell...(which would be specifically of necromancy and thus only for vamps and not humans) --Shaw in interview had mentioned something I suspected before, and which finally showed it's face in this episode, which is that really the two people coming together, Marnie and Antonia, essentually created a third entity, as Antonia acts like a drug to Marnie....She was saying that Antonia would NEVER want to hurt human life, and the episode also gave us a glimpse that this was the case, until Marnie pleaded and tried to convince her that what 'they' want is the same and that human casualty is somehow ok----So It could be that the Sheriffs are under Marnies's spell and perhaps Sookie just can't break that??? --Or maybe Sookie has to be aware of the spell she's fighting against to break it ???? Otherwise beats me :lol:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby frekkells on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:19 pm

DarthLocke wrote:Actually, that is why I like Marnie, because she is a hard character to just hate and she's more serious rather than funny.--It's clear she has been SO desperate for some kind of connection to something bigger than herself for so long, that the power of Antonia only feeds into her world of loneliness and need for control. I also heard a lot of people in the Wiccan community are not found of Marnie's portrayal, but I think if they are paying attention, then they can see that Marnie is like many desperate people who are looking for a belief system they can twist and use to their own making (terrorism: drug lords, Al Queda, KKK, ect). --I think if they would look to Holly they would see something closer to the original meanings in the philosophy itself and realize Marnie has just become a rotten apple...

It was good Jesus was nice to her and wanted to have faith in her, because otherwise he may not have appeared genuine and he might not have been able to call upon the demon to get him through the wall...--It goes back to Sophie Anne --everything that exists imagined itself into existence (there for all beings are connected because nature and/or super nature is about the mechanics and the beliefs in it, to believe in it is to create it, is to manifest it...) don't under estimate the power of blind faith. It bends the rules of physics or breaks them entirely.

I think the whole season really plays on transformation and changes in identity and it's a deeper season, as I feel it adds a whole new texture back onto the whole series, as things are realistically (not to be confused with supernatural) complicated socially.

I understand what you are saying and appreciate your point; you are very eloquent. You are probably correct as to what they want to point out. The Marnie/Antonia character is very similar to Steve Newlin as to a rotten apple within a belief system. I feel sorry for the Wiccans being the target this time instead of the evangelicals. Personally, I just want to have fun with True Blood. :w00t: I want over the top bad guys like Russell or Maryann, cause they are fun. But as with most things in life, too much of anything is a bad thing, so I guess they need to have different flavors of antagonists to keep True Blood interesting.
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:26 pm

frekkells wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:Actually, that is why I like Marnie, because she is a hard character to just hate and she's more serious rather than funny.--It's clear she has been SO desperate for some kind of connection to something bigger than herself for so long, that the power of Antonia only feeds into her world of loneliness and need for control. I also heard a lot of people in the Wiccan community are not found of Marnie's portrayal, but I think if they are paying attention, then they can see that Marnie is like many desperate people who are looking for a belief system they can twist and use to their own making (terrorism: drug lords, Al Queda, KKK, ect). --I think if they would look to Holly they would see something closer to the original meanings in the philosophy itself and realize Marnie has just become a rotten apple...

I understand what you are saying and appreciate your point; you are very eloquent. You are probably correct as to what they want to point out. The Marnie/Antonia character is very similar to Steve Newlin as to a rotten apple within a belief system. I feel sorry for the Wiccans being the target this time instead of the evangelicals. Personally, I just want to have fun with True Blood. :w00t: I want over the top bad guys like Russell or Maryann, cause they are fun. But as with most things in life, too much of anything is a bad thing, so I guess they need to have different flavors of antagonists to keep True Blood interesting.

I am sure there is still more FUN in the bag!!!!--I too would be VERY disappointed if everything was too serious all the time, because I think Harris has a nack, in which Ball has kept well in tact, to show us these serious things in the silliest and the most over the top ways possible, often times just with in some crazy persona of a character! IMO it's that blend of quorky-crazy-fun-dread that sets the series apart from other supernatural/vampire series...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 am

Liked this episode quite a bit. Definitely better than some of the other recent ones.

And I think Sam Trammel is doing great work this season. He is definitely worthy of consideration for an Emmy nomination. He's been consistently the best actor on the show this season in my opinion. The woman that plays Marnie has been excellent as well. Ryan K. (Jason) has been good, too.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Next

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]