[Official] True Blood Ep. 4.11 Discussion

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] True Blood Ep. 4.11 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:01 am

"Soul of Fire"

9:00PM

Discuss the latest True Blood episode here.

As the Wiccan-vampire standoff reaches a critical juncture, Sookie (Anna Paquin) summons her faerie powers to prevent Marnie (Fiona Shaw) from bewitching Bill (Stephen Moyer), Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) and Pam (Kristin Bauer van Straten) into a suicide march, while Jesus (Kevin Alejandro) casts a secret spell designed to un-bind Marnie/Antonia and break the witch’s deadly defenses. Sam (Sam Trammell) settles a score with Marcus (Dan Buran); Alcide (Joe Manganiello) confronts Debbie (Brit Morgan) about her allegiances; Andy (Chris Bauer) finds unexpected passion in the forest; Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) is consumed by the past.

Written by Mark Hudis.
Directed by Michael Lehmann.

Source: HBO

Check STV.com/TrueBlood for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] True Blood Ep. 4.11 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Wow! What a super traumatic episode! :w00t:

From the Finale synopsis I knew Marnie would be around a little longer as is specifically said,

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Marnie's latest Incarnation...

but I did not expect her to cross Lafayette's threshold...The only interesting things I can think that would be worth another look at Marnie and the ability of spirits are 1. I like that some of the characters basically are playing a doppleganger, 2. It is sort of amazing that Marnie's will power is THAT strong., 3. I am curious about the idea that Marnie also might now comprise much of Antonia's memories and/or knowledge (they told Jesus that they shared all information) and so it has become her own, it would be interesting if somehow Lafayette could find something useful and use Marnie's own knowledge against her...

I wasn't expecting Marcus to die so soon! --But I don't think he was going to stop being a tyrant, but besides what ever catalyst this is going to be for Debbie, I can't figure out where the werewolf story line will go from here...but I hope Luna watches out! -I got to say though I keep liking Alcide more and more all the time.

I am glad Jason wasn't a gonner and that he and Jess sort of started to mend things and that he said something that I was glad he said, that he thinks about her even with out her blood...

Pam's story is now becoming sad. It's become SUPER clear how vulnerable she has become and how her whole identity revolved around Eric, but that she is still SO frazzled that she no longer respects Eric and I can only imagine we will not see her branch out and create a new identity until next season. (it was a nice touch seeing her take the vintage Cartier necklace :rofl: ) It was interesting to see Pam and Jess be in the same boat and almost react to Bill's and Eric's love for Sookie the same way, which really exposed Pam.

Bill I think still doesn't quit understand the specifics in what is happening to Marnie and Anntonia - He didn't understand Sophie Anne either when she tried to explain the thought involved in creating a force of nature! He has been much more brutish this season, but in the past few episodes it has been a welcome pleasure!!

It seems summoning his demon might have severe consequences on Jesus' emotional state. I couldn't decide if Jesus knew there was a possibility that Marnie's essence would live on to try to find another medium, and thus knowing Lafayette could be in danger---because maybe his demon attempts to hurt the things Jesus cares about, as a type of sacrifice for using the magic? ---Or, if it just naturally depresses and drains Jesus every time he transforms?????????

Andy's experience was also so unexpected! :lol: I was hoping the Fea would appear again before the end of the season. Honestly I can't decide if Mariella is good (the side of Claud) or bad (the side of Maub) --but I didn't particularly think the idea of Andy being her protector was a good thing, but I don't understand the mythology/history of Fea enough to really make any kind of stand on the matter...

Oh and Roy's death via Eric = :whistle:

And seriously, how is it the finale next Sunday?????? :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: (We must have gone to Fairy Land!!!!)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Definitely not an episode I enjoyed. Actually found myself checking a couple of times to see how much was left for it to end. :bored:

- I've been trying to be open minded and welcoming about the witches and all that but, to be honest, it bores me to death, even more since it became a power struggle between Marnie and the now the new "Saint" Antonia. Really? It doesn't make much sense to me that Marnie could overpower her since she only could do all she did thanks to Antonia in the first place. How could she leash her like that? New found power?... Bah! I don't care at this point, whatever... :roll:

- The negotiation thing with Marnie, I was rolling my eyes the whole time, too. First of all, I hated to see Eric repeating after everything Bill said... so annoying and out of character for him to do that. And then they both offer their lives so Marnie lets Sookie go... I mean, really? That's called cheap, impulsive drama in my book.

- And Pam, even if what she did was stupid considering the energy field surrounding the building, so it was what Bill and Eric were doing and at least she stopped it. They had no regard neither for her nor for Jessica. Seriously, they were being incredibly obnoxious, zombies in love obnoxious. And then Eric treats Pam so bad... Did he forgot the protection field? Has he forgotten she's been with him for way longer than Sookie and she's his progeny? Oh, I hated it so much. :cursing: I will be highly disappointed if this is the effect Sookie will keep on having on Eric throughout the series.

Thanks for the great attempt at ruining what has always been my favourite relationship of the show, True Blood. And also, thanks for finally succeeding at making me feel disgusted at my favourite character. :thumbsdown:

- And the ending? No comments. :roll:

Favourite line of the episode: I'm so SICK of this necromancy ****! So am I, Jessica.

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:57 pm

PandaVamp wrote:Definitely not an episode I enjoyed. Actually found myself checking a couple of times to see how much was left for it to end. :bored:

- I've been trying to be open minded and welcoming about the witches and all that but, to be honest, it bores me to death, even more since it became a power struggle between Marnie and the now the new "Saint" Antonia. Really? It doesn't make much sense to me that Marnie could overpower her since she only could do all she did thanks to Antonia in the first place. How could she leash her like that? New found power?... Bah! I don't care at this point, whatever... :roll:

- The negotiation thing with Marnie, I was rolling my eyes the whole time, too. First of all, I hated to see Eric repeating after everything Bill said... so annoying and out of character for him to do that. And then they both offer their lives so Marnie lets Sookie go... I mean, really? That's called cheap, impulsive drama in my book.

- And Pam, even if what she did was stupid considering the energy field surrounding the building, so it was what Bill and Eric were doing and at least she stopped it. They had no regard neither for her nor for Jessica. Seriously, they were being incredibly obnoxious, zombies in love obnoxious. And then Eric treats Pam so bad... Did he forgot the protection field? Has he forgotten she's been with him for way longer than Sookie and she's his progeny? Oh, I hated it so much. :cursing: I will be highly disappointed if this is the effect Sookie will keep on having on Eric throughout the series.

Thanks for the great attempt at ruining what has always been my favourite relationship of the show, True Blood. And also, thanks for finally succeeding at making me feel disgusted at my favourite character. :thumbsdown:

Favourite line of the episode: I'm so SICK of this necromancy ****! So am I, Jessica.

I think that's the point of the season, Panda --they are all out of character because the effects of Marnie (and Marcus) have severely changed the perspectives and relationships of all of the characters..I am sure we are going to see some fences get mended, but some may be slower than others and for some their may be no going back to the way things were before, but that might not be such a bad thing.

I understand some people's frustration with this, but I also think if these things don't happen the show will become dull and predictable. I agree that the season has been a bit more serious (witch is ironic, because witch craft, or Wiccan, is always the philosophy that other members of more prodominent Theologies and/or philosophies make fun of, or seriously out cast). And I think it's the seriousness that is heavily surfacing that is really putting some fans off....

About Marnie, there were times where I thought the same as you, Panda --how could anyone think they could negotiate with her, but really thinking about how easily Marnie can kill (as demonstrated with the girl and the knife earlier in the episode) and considering Sookie is still learning to use her power, what choice did they have to hope Marnie could be reasoned with?????? If anything it bought some time, which obviously Jesus needed...

IMO IT'S is clear that some characters have been holding on too tightly to others and or their beliefs and some not tightly enough and it's time for a shuffle...I am willing to bet season 5 will be GREAT because of season four's transitioning (and yes, I think season four should be viewed specifically as the season of transition and as a season that adds some texture onto both past seasons and what ever comes next.)

I want the characters to be able to grow. If everything stays the same and relationships don't become tested and/or changed, then the humanity that the show has beautifully shown us will be unrelatible and lost, because that is what life is about (adaptation the ability to survive and find meaning with others).

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:06 pm

PandaVamp wrote:Definitely not an episode I enjoyed. Actually found myself checking a couple of times to see how much was left for it to end. :bored:

I didn't like the part about Marnie separating from Antonia either. It didn't make sense to me. Marnie could take over Antonia and control her power....but once Antonia separates, Marnie has no power at all? I didn't like that.

I'm interested to see how the finale unfolds...to see what direction the show takes heading into season 5. It would be awesome to see Russell !
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:

I didn't like the part about Marnie separating from Antonia either. It didn't make sense to me. Marnie could take over Antonia and control her power....but once Antonia separates, Marnie has no power at all? I didn't like that.

I'm interested to see how the finale unfolds...to see what direction the show takes heading into season 5. It would be awesome to see Russell !

Marnie became more powerful because she gained all of Antonia's knowledge -she knows how to cast spells and summon power in a way she couldn't before...

In addition going back to Sophie Anne and her comments to Bill on Meanads and supernatural phenominia, she made this point that ANYTHING is possible because of belief and/or will power -that this is how anything has happened has ever happened------>"she believes she's immortal and so she is." The experience with Antonia changed who Marnie was...

Marnie now knows/believes she is powerful and can go beyond herself (because she has already by being able to summon and share information with Atonia) and so she will! (the concept is being further extended to make this point)

Makes total sense...anything can happen. Ball has established this IMO.

Sophie-Anne: Never under-estimate the power of blind faith. It manifests in ways that bend the laws of physics or breaks them entirely.

But like always, nothing is forever, because if many people have beliefs that clash and all come with different levels of will power, then there is always room for a change in the control and philosophical/political strong holds and that is part of using something so extreme to explore those very true every day concepts, the manifestation of belief, which includes the building up and the breaking down of them.

Just To Add: Fiona Shaw (Marnie) also explains this:

Antonia has increased Marnie's powers exponentially: She's levitating! What else are we going to see your character do?

Well, the question would be, is Antonia running Marnie, or is Marnie running Antonia?

Do you mean this isn’t all the work of Antonia Gavilán de Logroño?

What happens in True Blood is they put two ideas together, and a baby is born in the third idea. Antonia has a particular ax to grind, because of her own rape and murder [in the seventeenth century]. But Antonia’s the most unlikely person to make non-vampires do something against their will, or hold hostages; she seeks only the willing. She only entered Marnie because Marnie begged her to. But Marnie has a deep desire to make her mark on the world, because she’s been overlooked. When Antonia infused Marnie, it brought out Marnie’s latent powers. And being empowered has had a huge effect on her ego. Her entire deportment changes, because how you carry yourself is all about how you feel about yourself.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Rogers on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:29 pm

beyond the quick possession at the end of the episode, they really tied the season together pretty well - how are they going to wind this up into an awesome finale I wonder?

It really felt like a finale - weird. I have no ideas what the books are like, but if they've resolved most of the character arcs by now, they must be planning to heavily lead into the next season with some weird stuff. i just still don't know how the fairies are all fitting in yet.

what kind of fairy jumps out of nowhere, jumps a sheriff's bones, and then skedaddles just like that?...
Rogers
Stunt Double

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Rogers wrote:what kind of fairy jumps out of nowhere, jumps a sheriff's bones, and then skedaddles just like that?...

The best kind. :whistle:
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby Finli Otego on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Thirty-Fiver wrote:
Rogers wrote:what kind of fairy jumps out of nowhere, jumps a sheriff's bones, and then skedaddles just like that?...

The best kind. :whistle:

*applause*

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby PandaVamp on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:31 pm

DarthLocke wrote:I think that's the point of the season, Panda --they are all out of character because the effects of Marnie (and Marcus) have severely changed the perspectives and relationships of all of the characters..I am sure we are going to see some fences get mended, but some may be slower than others and for some their may be no going back to the way things were before, but that might not be such a bad thing.

I understand some people's frustration with this, but I also think if these things don't happen the show will become dull and predictable. I agree that the season has been a bit more serious (witch is ironic, because witch craft, or Wiccan, is always the philosophy that other members of more prodominent Theologies and/or philosophies make fun of, or seriously out cast). And I think it's the seriousness that is heavily surfacing that is really putting some fans off....

About Marnie, there were times where I thought the same as you, Panda --how could anyone think they could negotiate with her, but really thinking about how easily Marnie can kill (as demonstrated with the girl and the knife earlier in the episode) and considering Sookie is still learning to use her power, what choice did they have to hope Marnie could be reasoned with?????? If anything it bought some time, which obviously Jesus needed...

IMO IT'S is clear that some characters have been holding on too tightly to others and or their beliefs and some not tightly enough and it's time for a shuffle...I am willing to bet season 5 will be GREAT because of season four's transitioning (and yes, I think season four should be viewed specifically as the season of transition and as a season that adds some texture onto both past seasons and what ever comes next.)

I want the characters to be able to grow. If everything stays the same and relationships don't become tested and/or changed, then the humanity that the show has beautifully shown us will be unrelatible and lost, because that is what life is about (adaptation the ability to survive and find meaning with others).

I just don't see how mimicking Bill can be an effect caused by Marnie... in any case, it is a Sookie effect and it made him look very stupid to me. Bill says "Let Sookie go" and then he goes like a recorder after him and says "Let Sookie go", etc., then they agree to give their lives for Sookie and he agrees to die first, but it is evident that was such a naive thing to do. Is that you, Eric? Are you really as old as you claim to be?... I don't know, it was extremely ridiculous to me.

Also, I can understand Eric being mad or whatever, but he was way too hard on Pam. Telling your child to get out of your sight or you'll kill them because of your pseudo-girlfriend is sad and, certainly, not the type of "growth" I wanted to see him go through. I am okay with Eric betraying, mistreating and/or being an ass to anyone but the only person who truly loves him and that is Pam. I just hope she shows some pride and gives Eric an ice cold shoulder until he apologizes. He hasn't been thinking of her lately? Well, so be it, she should do the same and not think of him either.

Finally, when Eric was about to kill Bill, Sookie's powers came into action to stop him but when Eric is about to die all she can do is stand there and cry? Why didn't she at least read Marnie's mind or something? And don't tell me she's still learning to use her powers because it seems that under pressure they work really well, like she a little later proved again during the circle... powers and mind reading, so perfect. I can only wonder if she didn't feel pressured enough when it was Eric's turn to die and for her, which makes his sacrifice even worse.

But oh well, the episode had a few good points for me:

- Jesus and Lafayette. Particularly Jesus, he was awesome.
- Sam beating the hell out of Marcus. That felt good but I'm glad he decided not to kill him. Leaving the gun there at his reach was sloppy, though.
- Andy's fairy encounter. Even if it made no sense, it was funny and made me laugh.
- The irony of Jason being one of the few thinking clearly that night.

I have just noticed that, for the first time, I enjoyed more the side stories rather than the main event.

Sawyer5665 wrote:I didn't like the part about Marnie separating from Antonia either. It didn't make sense to me. Marnie could take over Antonia and control her power....but once Antonia separates, Marnie has no power at all? I didn't like that.

Yeah, but their explanation is that in a few days she could absorb everything Antonia had to offer because of all the rage that consumed Marnie for being overlooked or whatever and that has made her go from being a simple witch who could connect with the spirits to being able to control a several hundred years old and very powerful necromancer. :S

Oh, I don't know.
I just wish they left angry Antonia there until the end. Sadly, Marnie has never convinced me and won't do it at this point. :unsure:

Yeah, me too. I'll be pretty excited if we see even a slight hint of Russell at the end. :w00t: I am crossing my fingers next season concentrates on the vampires and vampire villains. Russell is the best. :thumbsup:

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:59 pm

Marnie was a desperate person. Imagine being this loner your whole life and for whatever reason very few people showed you kindness...but you kept hearing about these groups of people who could take this secret drug and when they took it, it gave them a deep sense of self, proof they could take control over life. To you, this myth, if it were true, could show all of those people that made you feel really bad about yourself that you were important after all. You are special too. ---That's what being a wiccan was to Marnie, the possibility to take control and connect with nature would prove her worth to herself...and that's what happened, but like most drugs, the perception of reality is often even more dangerious and or misleading, then perception with out the drug (of course that is also dependant on the specific person with what specific drug (chemistry)---Marnie is on a crash course to destruction, but who knows who she might take with her. She is the person who looks like she can't, but those can sometimes be the most powerful people...because everyone (like you) says, she can't...

As for you insights about Sookie, I would have to agree. Her abilities to use her powers may prove whom she loves deeper, as she admitted to Eric, she couldn't imagine a world with out Bill in it...But I also often argue that Sookie is niave at times, but simultamously, if "love" (compassion) is the highest road philosophically as staple of 'goodness' in the TB universe, then it may not be niave, as much as not becoming currupt, is what keeps us "good" -the idea to sacrifice for love is not simple, it's hard lesson for people who forget what that is...people like vampires, people like Marnie.

As for Pam and Eric, Eric is no longer the same person. This experience with erasing and then regaining his memory essentually reset Eric's priorities...(But I am sure we will see more shady Eric again, especially if Sookie out right rejects him) --Eric can't deny the love in his heart and it is a priority now. (this is what Godric wanted)

The truth is we don't know what the truth is about Pam and Eric's relationship. -If Pam was always too afraid to branch out, or If Eric kept a very tight leash on her? We don't know the circumstance of Pam's turning either. If she was willing to be made, or if Eric made her against her will? --But I think what has happened is a good thing, because now they can finally be more honest about what they feel for others and that will strengthen and deepen their relationship later, assuming Pam can get past this. But I think Pam's backstory is needed in order to get a better scope of this whole sanario, to understand the root of her frustration, (imagine she was turned against her will and Eric would just never release her and then now he suddenly leaves her behind), but like a lot of kids, sometimes we have to leave home and experience the world so we can better relate to our parents...(Jessica and Bill ;) )

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 pm

I thought that Andy was the star of the episode for sure. His whole story with Terry and then his walk back to the house I thought was a real showcase for the actor. I thought he was brilliant. He cracked me up when he was talking to himself. I really think that fairy is going to bring about a big change in Andy the character. I think that's what the purpose of him meeting the fairy was. Think about what she said to him. When he was talking to Arlene later, he just seemed like a changed man. :thumbsup:

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, Darth, because I have the feeling we could continue this discussion for several days... just like Tara's, hehe. ;) I get what you mean, but I still have a hard time believing Marnie's story and think it would be better if at least Antonia was still part of it. Sorry, can't help it.

About Eric, guess I'll just keep crossing my fingers he doesn't become Bill II. Nothing against him, definitely not, but I just don't think we need two characters who end up doing and going through the same things. Enough they love the same person. :unsure:

Sawyer5665 wrote:I thought that Andy was the star of the episode for sure. His whole story with Terry and then his walk back to the house I thought was a real showcase for the actor. I thought he was brilliant. He cracked me up when he was talking to himself. I really think that fairy is going to bring about a big change in Andy the character. I think that's what the purpose of him meeting the fairy was. Think about what she said to him. When he was talking to Arlene later, he just seemed like a changed man. :thumbsup:

I agree. I loved and laughed a lot with Andy during this episode... it all kind of made me remember Maryann's pig situation, you know, one of my favourite moments of the series. :rofl: I'm pretty glad he's starting to get out of that dark V addiction place he's in and getting something new to work with. Hope all this fairy thing around him keeps being refreshing and funny. :D

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Sawyer5665 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm more interested in the smaller roles right now than I am the Sookie/Bill/Eric's of the world. I got tired of his sappiness pretty quick. I'm glad Sookie and Eric got together, but I just would rather see the new/old Eric with her....with combined memories. It feels more natural that way. But now, Sookie wants Bill again....It figures!!

Anyway, I have really enjoyed Jason, Jessica, Andy, Terry, and Sam this season. Sam is bad ass now!!! I want to learn more about his teenage years.

As far as crazy people talking to themselves go in movies/television, Andy seemed the most real to me.....I could really see someone acting like that when they go crazy. It's probably my favorite scene of the season....along with Jason saving Jessica.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:I'm more interested in the smaller roles right now than I am the Sookie/Bill/Eric's of the world. I got tired of his sappiness pretty quick. I'm glad Sookie and Eric got together, but I just would rather see the new/old Eric with her....with combined memories. It feels more natural that way. But now, Sookie wants Bill again....It figures!!

Yeah, me too, and it became very patent to me during this episode.

Oh and one more day of amnesia Eric and I would have gone crazy... It was sweet and all, but I love the character as a whole way too much to be happy with that Golden Retriever version of him for long. I also hope he doesn't let his memories with Sookie keep affecting his character to the point we saw during this episode. :unsure: I can go with him being in love, showing his love for her and all that, I like them together and I want him to fight for her but without losing what makes him him, if that makes sense. Seriously, I just don't want him to become Bill in love II but have a personal way of handling himself as he's always done, if it works, great, if it doesn't, then she wasn't the one. That's what makes him interesting to me.

And well, as much as I respect Sookie for being honest and because she always tries to help, I also think she's pretty stupid and, seeing how easily she seems to forget things, I am also starting to have serious doubts about her sense of self-esteem. :unsure:

Anyway, I have really enjoyed Jason, Jessica, Andy, Terry, and Sam this season. Sam is bad ass now!!! I want to learn more about his teenage years.

Yes, that would be great.

And now that you mention him, Sam is for sure one of my favourite characters... He's steady, reliable, thinks clearly but, if pushed, he will also reveal this dark, badass side you don't want to mess with. So far, I think they haven't gone wrong with him. Good. :thumbsup:

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Next

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]