True Blood Finale Postmortem with Alan Ball (+ S3 Spoilers)

Spoiler discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

True Blood Finale Postmortem with Alan Ball (+ S3 Spoilers)

Postby PandaVamp on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:27 am

Loads of cool stuff in this Ausiello interview to Alan Ball.
Enjoy it. For sure I did. :thumbsup:

Though last night’s True Blood finale tied up a bunch of loose ends, it also untied a bunch more! For instance (spoiler alert): Who kidnapped Bill? Why was Eric mostly MIA? Will the Queen return? Are Jessica and Hoyt over? What is Sookie? And that’s for starters. Luckily, series creator Alan Ball agreed to a little post-episode Q&A to finish us off.

Some folks were surprised by the structure of the finale and your decision to wrap up the Maryann story in the first 30 minutes.
ALAN BALL: I try to look at the show as basically almost like it’s a novel, and each episode is a chapter. I guess I’m influenced by the fact that when I watch TV shows, I watch the [DVD] boxed sets. Ultimately, it’s just organically the way it worked out. And the season finale last year was very similar.

Why wasn’t there more Eric in the finale?
BALL: There is a reason for not seeing Eric in the last part of the episode, but if I explain it, I’ll be [giving away] too much.

Will he be prominent next season?
BALL: Yes. Although, when I saw your [latest episode of Ausiello TV], for a moment I thought, we’re going to have to kill Eric, because you are the man. I thought wow, I had many seasons of Eric planned but I guess I’ll have to off him. [Laughs]

Speaking of which, are you surprised at how passionate the Sookie/Eric fans are?
BALL: Yes. I try not to get involved in that because it just sort of — it’s too confusing. I don’t want it to influence what the show is. Personally, I’m like, yes, Eric’s hot, but beyond that he’s dangerous, and I don’t know if he’d love anybody besides himself. What’s the appeal there? The bad boy? The danger?

Why wasn’t Sookie susceptible to Maryann’s powers but Jason was? Do they have different parents?
BALL: They have the same parents. We will find out what Sookie is [next season]. There are such things as dominant and recessive genes. Maybe Jason is fundamentally human but he has a trace of some non-human stuff. He’s kind of a ridiculously perfect [human being]. He’s athletic and has that charisma thing, so maybe he had some help in that regard. [Laughs] Ultimately, if you look at percentages, he’s mostly human. Sookie has a stronger genetic predisposition in another direction. People who have read the books know exactly what I’m talking about. People who haven’t, it will be revealed.

What’s up with the Queen’s Yahtzee obsession?
BALL: You’re 400 years old. What are you going to do? [Laughs] It’s something we came up with in the room and we thought it was funny.

Fans are polarized about Evan Rachel Wood as the Queen. A big complaint is that she doesn’t come off scary enough.
BALL: She will. You don’t want to introduce a character you’re going to see later and blow your wad up front. It’s funny because the fans are so rabid. Of course, that’s fantastic. And the fact that they’re so completely wrapped up in the show and they get upset and they think, “I don’t like that! I love that.” It means people are watching and the show is really affecting them. I think of the show as having a long life. You can’t explain everything and blow your wad in the first episode the first time time you introduce a character. All I can say is keep watching. It will make sense.

Will she return next season as a series regular?
BALL: She won’t be a series regular, but she will appear. Every state has its own vampire royalty. We will meet the King of Mississippi and there will be some interesting stuff happening between him and Evan’s Queen. (Find out who’s just been cast as the King!)

As much as I loved Michelle Forbes’ portrayal of Maryann, the story felt like it dragged on a little long. Why did it take her so long to get to the endgame?
BALL: That’s part of what the queen talks about. They’re always improvising. She really can’t conjure up a God. But she’s so fervent in her belief; she keeps trying this sacrifice and that sacrifice. She’s completely delusional. She killed Miss Jeanette and I think she thought that was going to work. She always thinks it’s going to work. It never does because the God who comes never actually comes. But she so fervently believes that he will, and she’s been believing it for thousands of years. That’s how they were able to outsmart her.

Have we seen the last of her?
BALL: Yes, she’s gone. They destroyed her. She will never rise — which I hate because I love [Michelle], and she was so much fun to work with. She’s really delightful and everyone loves her and we hated to kill her but we had to.

How closely will you follow the third book next season?
BALL: We take the gist of the books, [but] we will depart whenever we feel like it makes better television as opposed to reading. We continue to use the books as templates. But now that I’ve read all nine books there are things that are revealed in later books that we are moving up so that they’ll probably happen in the show earlier than they do in the books.

Keep on reading

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: True Blood Finale Postmortem with Alan Ball (+ S3 Spoilers)

Postby Finli Otego on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:38 am

Thanks Ana. That was awesome.
BALL: Happy relationships are boring. We all want them in our own life. But I don’t want to watch them on TV.

Truer words were never spoken. :lol: :rofl:

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby lililostie on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:18 am

Great reading!! :thumbsup: Argh! Such a long wait! I may have to resort to reading the books but I don't want them to spoil the show (I usually have that view but the other way around! ie won't see a movie until I've read the book, if there's one).

Interesting how he said Eric was absent for a reason....... :hmm:
lililostie
Supporting Actor

Postby PandaVamp on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 am

Finli Otego wrote:Thanks Ana. That was awesome.

Awesome, indeed! You're very welcome, Finli. :thumbsup:

lililostie wrote:Great reading!! :thumbsup: Argh! Such a long wait! I may have to resort to reading the books but I don't want them to spoil the show (I usually have that view but the other way around! ie won't see a movie until I've read the book, if there's one).

I want to read them because Alan Ball doesn't precisely follow them, so I don't fear I'll get too spoiled. :D Oh, and I share your view... I mean, read the book first and then watch the movie. :thumbup:

*Sigh* Nine months! Just like a pregnancy! :lol:

lililostie wrote:Interesting how he said Eric was absent for a reason....... :hmm:

Yup, that kept me thinking as well. :hmm:
I don't believe it was Eric the one who kidnapped Bill, being too obvious, etc., but there's always the possibility, so I truly, truly hope it wasn't him. :unsure:

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Nick on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:34 am

*Sigh* Nine months! Just like a pregnancy! :lol:

I can picture someone giving birth and watching the premiere of True Blood at the same time. :P
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:51 am

:rofl: That would be quite crazy! Very True Blood-ish. :thumbsup:

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:52 am

When you see Twins named "Bill and Eric" or "Sookie and Lafayette" then you know what happened ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Jeepy on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:04 am

I haven't read the books but if they're going to start racing through the material in them, the show may not last as long as we were thinking. :thumbsdown:
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Iceman on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:05 am

DharmaJeep wrote:I haven't read the books but if they're going to start racing through the material in them, the show may not last as long as we were thinking. :thumbsdown:

Nah, they can always go off the books.

Like the new Bourne movie they are making is an original story, not based off of the novels, like the first 3 were.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby PandaVamp on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:09 am

Ha! I like that, Ice! :thumbsup: :lol: (The twins thing)

Talking about Season 3, I hope next year we get more insight into Eric's feelings for Godric. After he met the Sun, we didn't get much, at least, not directly from him. Still, he acted as I expected him to, considering he plays the cold vampire role before everyone, even himself. Anyway, I think it would be cool to see him talking with Pam, or meditating about it. When Sophie-Ann tactlessly mentioned his maker, I could only notice the sadness in his eyes. :( It is nice to know that even if Godric is really dead and gone, Alan Ball has already thought about giving us more through flashbacks. I can't wait!

What kind of Eric/Godric flashback would you like to see in particular?

Iceman815 wrote:
DharmaJeep wrote:I haven't read the books but if they're going to start racing through the material in them, the show may not last as long as we were thinking. :thumbsdown:

Like the new Bourne movie they are making is an original story, not based off of the novels, like the first 3 were.

Yup, just like that. And well, you know, vampires don't age but the actors do... :unsure: I don't know if make-up would be enough to make them look as fresh as when they started if the series have many seasons.

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Jeepy on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:42 am

Iceman815 wrote:

You are probably right :thumbup:
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Nick on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:02 am

Is there anything I’m forgetting to ask you?
BALL: I’m surprised you didn’t ask who took Bill.

Who took Bill?
BALL: It was Hoyt’s mother.

You left out what was obviously the most important spoiler. :P
Nick
Emmy Winner

Return to True Blood Spoilers