The Books vs. The Show

Spoiler discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

The Books vs. The Show

Postby Bella on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:34 pm

I'd like to compare some of the storylines from the show to those in the source books. I don't really want to be spoiled, but there are two major spoilers I've already heard, so I figured I'd get a comparison list going.

Book
-The killer is revealed to be Rene
-Lafayette is murdered

Show
-The killer is revealed to be [TBA]
-Will Lafayette be murdered? [TBA]

I read an interview with the guy who plays Lafayette, and he said that while his character was killed in the books, that may or my not be changed for the show. Considering how popular Lafayette is, I'd be very surprised if they killed the character -- but that's just my Lafayette-lovin' opinion. I guess we'll see.

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: The Books vs. The Show

Postby isabelle on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:55 pm

Haven't read the books but all i can say is THEY BETTER NOT EVEN DARE KILL OFF LAFAYETTE!!!

They probably will though. They stuck to the story so show that unnessary, ick grave sex scene, and they are sticking to the correct killer (i assume) so they probably will.... :cry: :cry: :( :( :cry: :cry: :( :( :cry: :cry:
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:56 pm

omg they better ****** not kill lafayette :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Bella on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:11 am

I agree -- THEY BETTER NOT! He's the best! :x

I guess we'll see in the next two weeks! Though I hear the season finale is a cliffhanger (of course).

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby dutchie on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 pm

I read what will happen to Lafayette. SOmeone on iMDB always posts episode synopses of episode still to come.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Bella on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:56 pm

dutchie wrote:I read what will happen to Lafayette. SOmeone on iMDB always posts episode synopses of episode still to come.

I do NOT want to know, so I think I'll bow out of this thread now... :PP

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby dutchie on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:11 pm

Dont worry, I wont tell. But you know, this is the spoiler section soooo ;)
Before you know it its sunday(or monday if you download it) and we will all know.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 pm

:( i sure hope lafayette doesn't die. :(
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby elenaripley on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:38 pm

they are so liberal with the books that i wont be surprised if he doesnt

they seem to be moving further and further from the original and it's not doing the show any good :x

I mean, a meanad pretending to be a social worker?!? Why would she do that? Bill, who makes a girl a vamp who shouts at him and bosses him around? WHF? How is that possible in the world where age is the only thing that counts? Bill, who is scared **** of Eric????? He sure respects his position in the vamps' world, but he's in no way intimidated by him and doesn't give a **** what Eric thinks, AND THAT'S WHAT MAKES BILL BILL!!! That's the whole point!!! That's why the Bill-Sookie-Eric triangle is so fascinating! And why, if they decided to bring in another girl, not stick to Lorena from the book if she's already in the show?

Come on, it's all right to add to characters to add some juice to the show, but there should be some respect for the world that Charlaine Harris has created. It's bad enough they made poor Sam sniff dead girl's sheets, but to make a sissy girl out of Bill, that's too much :thumbsdown:
elenaripley
Viewer

Postby OldDarth on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Watched the first but beyond the T&A I'll be darned why. Not one sympathetic character in the bunch and the show treads too heavily into soap opera territory.
OldDarth
Viewer

Postby Piasa on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:57 pm

Differences that I noticed from season 1. (I am currently on book 4)
1. Eric killed the Bartender, not Bill. There was no trial of vampires either. This part was kinda pointless to me, and unnecessary.
2. Bill did not make a vampire out of anyone like illustrated in the show.
3. Bill never ever came out in sunlight, sookie saved herself from Rene.
4. Elvis is a vampire, completely left out of the show. (he watched Sookie while bill was away on business)
5. Tara is not in book 1.
6. Maenid (mary ann, pig lady) is not introduced until Book 2.

There are more, but this are the biggest ones I noticed.
Piasa
Viewer

Postby CeeJ on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Its a real love/hate feeling between the two.

I'm on the current book, so have had these images burned into my subconcious for many years now. Charlaine is such a vivid writer that its great to see the images I conjured up becoming real on the programme, most of them are so spot on.

My downside is that so many things have been changed. Tara full stop (who she is, what she does, how she acts, her backstory, the whole her and Sam thing), Jason (who is admittedly more comical but a bit too wayward and easily led in his views), the whole Vampire stuff with the bartender and I can't believe how wet Bill can be sometimes.

I guess that's a price you pay when you turn written fiction into visual fiction. But I still wouldn't miss an episode.
Back off man, I'm a scientist!
Dr Peter Venkman, Ghostbuster, 1984
CeeJ
Viewer

Postby joacomoreno on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Where can I read the books??? Thanks!
joacomoreno
Viewer

Postby theflamestation on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:57 am

Tara's character in books is not described as being african american as far as I have read. Her and Eggs are introduced together at a football game Sookie goes to in the second half of the second book. They are engaged and she definitely is not related to Lafeyette in the books either.

Whatever Sookie gets attacked by in the show is not what attacks her in the books. Marryann's character in the book Castillo is who scratches Sookie and she does it as a message for Eric.

Daphne and Jessica are not in the books at all.

Sarah Newlin who's blonde and thin on the show is described as round with short brown hair. But I think they changed her look so she'd be a love interest for Jason. Also I'm glad Jason is doing the fellowship of the sun thing this season because he is barely in the second book at all.

Over all these changes to the show enhance it because most of the Bon Temp residents aren't in the second book. Sam, Jason, Arlene, Tara, Pam, Hoyt, and even the Maenad Castillo are all shortly featured in either the beginning or end of Living Dead In Dallas. Sookie, Bill and Eric are featured throughout the story and season 2 would be so boring if it were just about them so I'm glad they created great storylines for everyone else. If you've read book 2 though you can figure out a little bit what they might do with these made up storylines. I think it will be interesting and I can't wait to see the end of the season to see how they do the ending of the book. It should be pretty sexy!
theflamestation
Extra

Postby kristy815 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:32 pm

I haven't watched the show. Before I wade in, I suppose my main question is whether the tv show takes itself more seriously than the books. What I liked about the books is that they were almost to the point of being a parody of the vampire genre in general. Is the show like that too?
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Next

Return to True Blood Spoilers