Oz

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: Oz

Postby kristy815 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:28 pm

This show is great! I really didn't think I'd like it because I just had in mind a bunch of guys sitting around in cells and getting into fights. But it is much more dramatic than that. They do such a great job of making each inmate both an individual and a product of being part of his distinct group. I'm really enjoying this. Thanks for the recommendation, Jeepy!
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Ciubia on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 pm

Just saw epi 2 and I can say I love this show so far!!! :thumbsup: I love Augustus insights it makes the show all the more better and all the characters so far have caught my attention! And Adebisi FTW!!

And :lol: @ Miguel Alvarez with the doll!
ImageImage
Ciubia
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sandiwich11 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Jeepy wrote:I have got Ciubia, Kristy815 and Miss Ford into Oz now

YAY :thumbsup: I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, it's one of the most character driven shows I have ever seen which is what makes it stand out from a lot of other prison dramas imo.

Jeepy wrote:I'm enjoying S6, I think because I've gone to it with lower expectations after all the negative reviews I've heard. I've got three eps left and I'm feeling really sad about it ending. I want to get Augustus's book too, although I agree that the whole book-binding plot was just a ruse for blatant product placement! :roll:

I enjoyed Season 6, thou it seems so long ago now :( , it definitely raised the bar over the couple of seasons before it. I heard that they left the ending fairly open as they weren't sure if they would get another season or not, so I'm not so disappointed with all the newer story lines that appeared towards the end any more, though they do still feel slightly excessive in number :P

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Jeepy on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:35 am

I'm just about to watch the final episode. Don't be surprised if I go into a deep depression. :cry:
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Ciubia on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:55 am

sandi wrote:
Jeepy wrote:I have got Ciubia, Kristy815 and Miss Ford into Oz now

YAY :thumbsup: I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, it's one of the most character driven shows I have ever seen which is what makes it stand out from a lot of other prison dramas imo.

Yes, i'm really enjoying it, a lot! I wish I had more time to watch everything in a row (like I did with TB when I was on holidays) but I don't have it. :(
ImageImage
Ciubia
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:05 pm

I just found this thread. I LOVE OZ!!! I found it back in 2001 and watched every bit of it within a few months and watched the sixth season live on HBO. Directv is showing Oz every Sunday night on The 101 network. They should be pretty deep into the series by now. I remember they started showing it the last Sunday in May 2009. They show one episode per week, so they should be getting close to the end. There are 56 episodes so there are a few eps left. If shouldn't be finished until June. Anyway, I started rewatching it on Directv....I saw the first season and half of the second and I changed from Directv to Comcast because I wanted Comcast's internet service. I'm thinking about buy Oz on dvd because I would LOVE to rewatch it again. Oz was really the first television show that I was obsessed with. Oz is in my top three all time television dramas. Lost is number one of course. Oz was HBO's first series. It came even before The Sopranos. I agree with whoever said it earlier in this thread that it was even better at character development than Lost. Oz was all about the characters. THere was no underlying mythology like Lost. The characters are what defined Oz. The violence is probably more remembered, but it was the characters that made you stick around. They did such a good job at making people care for all the characters. These people were in prison for doing terrible, terrible things, but I couldn't help but feel for them. Beecher killed a little girl while driving drunk....He did kill the girl and deserved to be in prison, but I still felt badly for him for the things that he went through. Miguel Alvarez went in to prison on a two year sentence (I think it was 2 years) and ended up being sentenced to life for the things he did while at Oswald.

I noticed in this thread there were a few of you that found the second half of season four to be less than stellar. Well, there is a good reason for that. After the first half ended (The episode where Said kills Adebisi), HBO ordered an additional 8 episodes of Oz to cover for THe Sopranos being delayed. So, if it seemed rushed and out of sync.....it was. There were some good things about the second half of season four. It's when we were introduced to Omar White and Burr Redding (Both brilliantly played).

One thing that kind of irritated me was the character of Jerimiah Cloutier, played by Luke Perry. I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY that he would have been sent to maximum security prison for what he did. He was convicted of embezzling money from his church. He would have been sent to a minimum security place for white collar crimes. They should have had him being convicted of something else. Also, the priest that came to Oz for assault...the one that bunked with O'Reilly....I seriously doubt that he would have been sent to such a hard place for his crime. I'm picking a bit, I know. Those are tiny issues. Oz was a great show.

I am a huge fan of Adebisi and Mr. Eko. I like Mr. Eko more because he was a much more complex character. We never really learned much about Simon Adebisi except that he was a ruthless drug lord that wanted power. I mean, did you see what he did to get put in prison? He cut an undercover cops head off!!! He was ruthless, ruthless, ruthless!! Mr. Eko had the capacity to be ruthless, but he definitely had a caring side to him.

Oz was a very fast paced show. Each segment of each episode focused on one character or a small group of them. I loved that. A lot happened in every episode. I don't think I could call any episode a "filler" episode. Season six was crazy. How many people died? Jeez....Crazy. I thought it was very sad when Cyril went fry daddy...though I sympathized with Ryan much more than I did Cyril. I loved it to see Dr. Nathan finally give in to her love for O'Reilly in the gym. I've never seen a show kill off so many main characters so suddenly.

Ryan O'Reilly was my favorite Ozian. I also like Keller, Adebisi, and Alvarez.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby b3rt4 on Sat May 01, 2010 8:55 pm

I started watching this yesterday and already finished s1. Good show so far, great characters.
Only the ending of s1 was a bit odd. :hmm:

Oh and I probably shouldn't have skimmed through this thread. :cursing:

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby b3rt4 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:59 am

I just watched 5x06 and this had to be the best scene ever :rofl: :rofl:

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Jeepy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:46 pm

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12837&id=637325291

Found this photo album on facebook, it's on set photos of all the stars of oz and some of them have commented on them. It's amazing to an oznerd like myself. :D
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby b3rt4 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Jeepy wrote:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12837&id=637325291

Found this photo album on facebook, it's on set photos of all the stars of oz and some of them have commented on them. It's amazing to an oznerd like myself. :D

Very cool!

I've finished the show a few weeks ago btw and was really sad it was over.
I thought the 2nd half of s4 was really weak but things got better halfway through season 5 and it was almost as thrilling as the first season.
The most emotional episode ever was the one where they wanted to execute Cyril and everyone went to their pods and hammered against the walls. Almost had me in tears cause the O'Reilly's were always my fav characters. :(

I thought the ending wasn't that bad either, can't understand why some people say it was ****.
What I didn't like about s6 was that they killed almost every character off, that seemed a bit forced.

But it was a great ride and I'm sure I'll be doing a rewatch sometime! :thumbsup:

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 am

I know what you mean about the mass murder during season six. It wasn't a question of "who died?", it was easier to answer who didn't die. :lol:

I agree about the Cyril scene btw.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:38 am

My friends and I finished the rewatch yesterday of Oz.
Simply fantastic even after 10 years later
TVSHOWTIME PROFILE
https://www.tvtime.com/en/user/6964315/profile
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/D0bT8qRW/Screenshot-6.jpg[img]

We are the rejected,the humiliated,we are the outcasts.We are the monsters that you created #TheFinal
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Previous

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General