Oz

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Oz

Postby Jeepy on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:57 am

I have just watched Season 1 of Oz and I think it is amazing. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to obtain it because it is ridiculously good and has a lot of LOST actors in it.

For those of you who have seen it, a question:
Do you think Simon Adebisi is a better character than Mr Eko?
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Oz

Postby Finli Otego on Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:22 am

Another amazing HBO series! :thumbup:
I like Eko better. I feel like, of the two, he is the more complex character.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby hmbb on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:59 pm

DharmaJeep wrote:
Do you think Simon Adebisi is a better character than Mr Eko?

yes I do but only because he got to develop more throughout the seasons and Mr Eko's time was too short to evolve.
hmbb
Show Expert

Postby Sandiwich11 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:03 pm

I started watching this show last week, and am halfway through season 2 atm. It is brilliant, more character driven than Lost by a mile :PP

AAA is great in both roles I think, both characters are so different it's hard to judge them side by side. Eko was more focused and centred while Adebisi is a drug addled wildcard. My favourite character is Said thou, Eamonn Walker is just fantastic in everything I've seen him in :wub:

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Jeepy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:00 am

sandi wrote: My favourite character is Said thou, Eamonn Walker is just fantastic in everything I've seen him in :wub:

He is so scary! My husband and I both think he is far scarier than anything in LOST. I haven't seen him in anything else, what else has he been in?

I've only watched S1 of Oz so far (hurry up Amazon ¬¬ ), but I'm leaning towards Adebisi being greater than Eko so far. Harold P. is more loveable in Oz too I think.

The S1 finale was brilliantly entertaining and yet horribly disturbing. I'm so glad I don't have to wait a year between seasons. :thumbup:
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sandiwich11 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:47 am

DharmaJeep wrote:
sandi wrote: My favourite character is Said thou, Eamonn Walker is just fantastic in everything I've seen him in :wub:

He is so scary! My husband and I both think he is far scarier than anything in LOST. I haven't seen him in anything else, what else has he been in?

He used to be in a show called The Bill years ago, and was one of those Brit actors who had a role in just about every series around the same time. The most recent thing I saw him in was Kings where he played another religious leader, but without the violent undertone Said has :lol:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Sym on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 am

i love OZ
is a fantastic
TVSHOWTIME PROFILE
https://www.tvtime.com/en/user/6964315/profile
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/D0bT8qRW/Screenshot-6.jpg[img]

We are the rejected,the humiliated,we are the outcasts.We are the monsters that you created #TheFinal
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby Jeepy on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 am

sandi wrote:
DharmaJeep wrote:

He used to be in a show called The Bill years ago, and was one of those Brit actors who had a role in just about every series around the same time. The most recent thing I saw him in was Kings where he played another religious leader, but without the violent undertone Said has :lol:

LOL! The Bill! No way. I had no idea he was British. I thought you were going to say Hollywood movies and shows like The Wire!I'm just looking on Wikipedia and I see that he was also in such classics as 'birds of a feather' and 'goodnight sweetheart'!

So is Kings worth a look?
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sandiwich11 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:09 pm

I think Kings if definately worth a look, there is a topic for it here, thou it looks like not as many people here have watched it.

You watched any of season 2 of Oz yet? I'm a few episodes in now and there has been a few interesting revelations come up from the aftermath of the riot. I am loving Beechers transformation since he entered the prison and am finding it very scary how this other persona must have been locked somewhere inside him before all these terrible circumstances forced it to the surface in order for him to survive what he has gone through.

Dean Winters has also been fantastic in this season, I only remember seeing him in Terminator TSCC before this and he didn't really impress me much in that. The Ryan O'Riley character has far more depth to it, he makes him so likeable even thou he is easily the most manipulative prisoner in Oz. Some great acting from in season 2 as well as he goes through his illness :cry:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Jeepy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:57 am

I'm up to episode 4 in season 2. Given the chance i'd have watched it all by now but my husband is a stickler for his one episode a day rule. ¬¬

Beecher's transformation was totally unexpected. I thought he was going to be a permanently abused tragic character but I am pleased he has sort of turned it round and become almost respected by some of the other characters.

I'd never heard of Dean Winters before seeing him in Oz but he's a real talent. I keep expecting him to get found out and get his comeuppance but I expect TPTB realised what a great thing they had and kept him in the show for a long time, if not til the end. He makes my skin crawl but like you said, he is still likeable. He was involved in every death before the riot, I think!

I'm not liking Nino's son so far. I think it is the actor more than the character. I'm not convinced he's up to the standard of the other prominent characters but he might improve when he's got something meatier to do. :hmm:

One thing i'm finding quite shocking is how desensitised to crime and violence I'm becoming whilst watching Oz.
I mean Augustus is the soft loveable every man character and he's a cop killer. I felt happy when Beecher bit 'that thing' off which is a bit disturbing. I really like how the show is so fast paced and underplays a lot of things. It gives me a lot of food for thought between episodes, which is something I rarely get from TV shows. I think Oz has become my second favourite show ever. :thumbsup:
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah Nino's son is one of my pet hates about the show atm, I agree that the actor just doesn't seem to be up to the job. The rest of the cast are just amazing which is why it I think he stands out too, I just don't feel the 'threat' from him like I do Adebisi, say.

One thing i'm finding quite shocking is how desensitised to crime and violence I'm becoming whilst watching Oz. I mean Augustus is the soft loveable every man character and he's a cop killer. I felt happy when Beecher bit 'that thing' off which is a bit disturbing. I really like how the show is so fast paced and underplays a lot of things. It gives me a lot of food for thought between episodes, which is something I rarely get from TV shows. I think Oz has become my second favourite show ever. :thumbsup:

I completely agree. To begin with I was fairly shocked with how much violence they were showing, but at the same time it isn't gratuitous. Everything a character does is completely unstandable in relation to their character arc in the overall story. The main thing that does make me wince now is the length of some of the sentences they get, they don't always seem to fit the crime in relation to the length some of the others get. I think that this shows how and why these characters do what they have to do to survive in Oz, I can't imagine being locked away for 150 years in such a hell hole :(

It's a shame that u are only doing one episode a day, I have a feeling that I am going to get ahead of you before too long. I do however suggest that you also catch Deadwood if you haven't already, I think you'd like that show too :thumbup:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Jeepy on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:47 am

I kept wondering who Nino's son reminded me of, and I've decided it's Penny from Lost. Hopefully he's out of the show for good from now on. Is the fat guy who was giving him messages from the family one of the C.O's? I couldn't quite place him.

I have just watched 2.6.(Spoilers if you're not there yet!) I am really liking the Keller/Beecher thing despite the whole plotting to kill him aspect. I'm finding it very strange to see Chris Meloni play gay after watching him so straight and macho for years in SVU. I don't know if you've ever seen the film 'my beautiful launderette', but the laundry room kiss scene reminded me of that no end.

I agree with your comments about the sentencing, it seems very unfair and kind of arbitrary, especially the ratio of parole to sentence. I imagine it is pretty true to life though. I do wonder how accurate a depiction of real life it is. I know they use the whole 'experimental wing' thing as artistic licence, but I suppose most of it is grounded in at least some truth. I wonder in particular if 'the hole' is Oz's invention? I'm too scared to look online for fear of spoiling myself.

I have been enjoying the schoolroom scenes and I hope there is some way to save the program. I liked the Jiggy character but I doubt we'll see him again. I was glad that Sister Peter got the information about her husband's murder, and I thought the scene where the old man recieved his box of dental supplies was brilliantly done. I'm really fond of Sister Peter and in fact the women of Oz in general. I find them all to be believable humans rather than token females. There's so much to love about this show. How are you finding Shirley Bellinger? I haven't made up my mind yet.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check out Deadwood after I've finished Oz.
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:59 pm

Just watched 2xO6, another cracking episode :thumbup: I think the guy giving messages to Nino's kid was an internal investigator of some sort, but obviously a crooked one. I'm loving the Beecher storyline too, I'm glad they are taking their time with it rather than making it happen over night. I don't think Ive seen Chris Meloni in anything before but he's great, I had a feeling he was up to no good even before it was revealed.

Loved LL Cool J as Jiggy, I agree that it was probably a one off as well unfortunately, did he just want to be in the show maybe? Shirley Bellinger, is she the baby killer? I'm not sure about her, I think she's in Oz for her own safety rather being kept in the womans jail. She seems to be not quite with it, so it surprises me a little that she is on death row rather than being treated by a psychiatrist. Did Adebisi write the first note to her and I missed it? Hopefully we get to see more with the two of them that will explain more of her story.

Am off to watch the next episode now, this show is far too compelling :PP

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Spleen on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:32 am

DharmaJeep wrote:
Beecher's transformation was totally unexpected. I thought he was going to be a permanently abused tragic character but I am pleased he has sort of turned it round and become almost respected by some of the other characters.

Beecher's crazy period is one of the best bits of the show imo.

I've watched all of Oz before and I'm currently rewatching (on season 6).

I prefer Mr Eko to Adebesi, but thats just cos Eko was the dogs bollocks, Adebesi is a great character too. Augustus Hill is better than Michael Dawson though.

Oz is a show that just keeps getting better and better with each season, season 6 was abit hit and miss though (imo), every character makes so many changes.
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Spleen
Supporting Actor

Postby Sandiwich11 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:23 pm

I've finished season 2 now, that last episode or so was quite hard to watch in places :unsure: I was worried that they wouldn't be able to top the season 1 finale riot, how wrong I was, the season 2 finale is possibly the best hour of television I have ever seen.

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Next

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General