Oz

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: Oz

Postby dutchie on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:07 pm

I started watching this show a few weeks ago. Somehow I missed it when it first came on the telly.
Im nearing the end of season 4 now and I must say Im glad Adebisi is dead now, his character became a real pain in the arse and it annoyed me.
They also need to resolve that story line about that awefull CO woman(cant remember her name). She is bugging me so much right now.

Its pretty cool to see Evan Seinfeld in this, when I was young I was a fan of Biohazard.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Sandiwich11 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:28 pm

Finally managed to watch an episode last night :D

DharmaJeep wrote:Absolutely right, season 5 is much stronger. I'm up to 5.05 now. episode 4 was really gruesome to watch wasn't it? I had my hands over my eyes when the young muslim got killed.

Every time I think they have desensitised me as to what could happen a scene comes up that makes me squirm, and this was one of them :unsure:

I was thinking of starting to watch the wire after oz, but Clayton's in it so I'm holding back. Johnny Basil and the other old cop were interesting to me, I was starting to enjoy their scenes but Clayton ruined it, both in terms of acting and story.

I'm going to be watching The Wire next I think, so many people have recommended it to me :thumbsup:

I think the attractive female lawyer entering into some kind of twisted dynamic with Beecher and Keller is completely unbelievable, but I'm glad Keller's back so i'll take whatever crumbs they're offering. I'm still enjoying Ryan and Gloria's sort of relationship, I like Ryan's mum and I'm so happy to have full-time Alvarez back. :w00t: I hope Augustus Hill and Chucky Pancamo aren't going to die. I know neither of them are amazingly exciting characters, but I do enjoy them both. I like Morales too. He's handsome for a larger gentleman :)

I'm still not liking the lawyer, I find her and Beecher boring together :sleep: Hopefully bring Keller into the story line will liven it up. Chez O'Reilly is a weird set up, Ryan always seem to land on his feet lol. I really like Augustus too, I think Michael is the only character Ive seen him play that I don't love tbh. (thou this will always be my fav Harold Perrineau role) He's great as a character, and is the perfect choice for breaking the forth wall imo.

Did you notice in Ken Leung's episode that he came to America from China by freighter? :rofl:

That did make me smile. I was excited to see him in it and pretty hacked off by the end of the episode when I realised he wouldn't be sticking around :thumbsdown:

ETA: I justed noticed your awesome sig and avatar. :thumbup:

Cheers, I spent ages trying to make new ones with some of the characters in it but they just looked 'wrong' somehow. So I went for a more arty/bleak look to fit in with the show's atmosphere. I had to have help (Spaceman :wub: ) to get the avatar to colour match the siggy thou :PP

dutchie wrote:They also need to resolve that story line about that awefull CO woman(cant remember her name). She is bugging me so much right now.

Gah, she annoys me too :cursing: She's worse than Vinegar T*ts from Cell Block H ever was ¬¬

I'm hoping to get season 5 finished this weekend :thumbsup:

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Jeepy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 pm

I will reply properly later but you are so right about HP's best role. I decided to give lost a try because i loved him so much in R&J!
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sandiwich11 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:12 pm

Is one of the reasons I did too :lol:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Jeepy on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:50 am

I found a couple of cool vids:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18kvo_seinfeld-in-oz_people Seinfeld and the cast of oz doing a sketch together

http://www.spike.com/video/in-oz-people-are/2742016 Oz fan vid with a great song.
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby dutchie on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 pm

Im still sycuk on season 4, it bores the hell out of me now and I cant continue. Is it bad to skip it and start on season 5?
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Jeepy on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:48 pm

you don't miss much in the tail end of s4 tbh.
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sandiwich11 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 pm

The end of season 4 was a bit boring, and not just because of no Miguel :PP I found the season 5 and most of season 6 ok, but tbh I think a lot of my interest in the show died when Adabisi did. It could also be the rushed way I have been watching them this last week or two, I don't think I've watched a complete episode in one go since I last posted as things have been so busy. I'm on the finale now, about 20 mins into it and hoping to get time this weekend to finish it :unsure: I'll spoiler tag in case you haven't seen this yet ;)

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Augutus's death was very sad at the end of last season, but I did feel that the action around it was a little too 'staged'. I want to like Burr, he had an interesting set up with Hill and his mother but I think that it was introduced too quickly and clumsily to fit around the bus crash. (I didn't really see the point in the crash tbh, I liked the actual episode and the way they did the reveals, but apart from Shillinger's family I felt that all the relationships involved were shoe horned in. Therefore the reaction wasn't as big as it could have been)

I didn't think that the Muslims could get any more boring in the prison, but without Walker they seem to have. I don't get why Idzik killed him, or why he then wanted to die, or why kill Omar to get on death row O.o Lazy plot construction imo :whistle: The book binding storyline seemed to only be there to advertise the real life book they had brought out about Hill - which I probably will buy as it seems to have good reviews.

One of the best storyline in the last season for me was Keller ensuring Beecher returned to jail. But once again it was all so rushed there wasn't a lot to actually enjoy, esp when Chris suddenly turns back to Shillinger 5 mins after getting rejected by Toby ¬¬ I think that are just too many plot lines going on at once which means that no one gets enough time to make their story fully believable. I can't understand why they kept piling more and more plot lines up with the end of the show approaching, or did they not know that it was the end of the road?

Loved the two vids Jeepy, esp the Seinfeld one :thumbsup: I'm not sure that I am going to have time to watch The Wire at the moment thou, finding time to watch the end of this series has been tough the last week or two since the fall schedule starting and with my new job :cry:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Jeepy on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:03 pm

I havent been able to watch S6 yet, so I wont reply properly or read your spoilers until I do. But i'm no rush to watch the wire so when you get round to it let me know and I'll join you :)

I think you are right about the death of Adebisi killing the show. :cry:
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby dutchie on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:37 am

I still havent watched any further, I just lost interest all of a sudden.
Its funny that all this time, without realising, I was watching Anita from The West Side Story. I always thought sister Peter Marie looked familiar but it wasnt untill I saw her in The Larry Sanders Show dancing that it hit me.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Jeepy on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 am

I have a massive girl crush on Peter Marie.
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Horace Nosebleed on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:53 am

I love this show! I finished it all in a few months this time last year. It has such a great cast. I dunno who I like better out of Eko and Adebisi, but both are top 10 characters of all time.

Others faves: Augustus, Kareem, Keller, Busmalis, Cyril, Omar.

Oh, and who am I?

Horace Nosebleed
Stunt Double

Postby Jeepy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:27 am

I just watched 6.01. I'm thrilled to have Alvarez back full time but the fact that Beecher has suddenly got a third kid is a bit ridiculous. :roll:
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Jeepy on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:04 am

I have got Ciubia, Kristy815 and Miss Ford into Oz now, and I rewatched the first ep with them, and it turns out that Beecher's 3rd child was mentioned in the second episode after all, so I can take back the above criticism.

I'm enjoying S6, I think because I've gone to it with lower expectations after all the negative reviews I've heard. I've got three eps left and I'm feeling really sad about it ending. I want to get Augustus's book too, although I agree that the whole book-binding plot was just a ruse for blatant product placement! :roll:
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Postby Ciubia on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:20 am

I have just seen the first episode and I can say I really enjoyed it, it really caught my attention and I'm looking forward to see the rest!! So far I really loved their take on several issues, racial and cultural differences, even euthanasia but adapted to an extrem reality! Man reduced to his natural survival instincts but faced with the norms of our society, very interesting!! I'm looking forward to see the rest!!

Thanks for the advice, Jeepy! I loved it :thumbup:
ImageImage
Ciubia
Emmy Nominee

PreviousNext

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General