No votes
THE X-FILES
No votes
THE X-FILES
No votes

Total votes : 76

Best series finale?

Postby sjorsman on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:16 pm

Which of the following series finales do you think was best?
And why?
sjorsman
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Best series finale?

Postby dutchie on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Thats easy, MASH all the way. After watching this I felt like friends of mine left for good. Whenever I see that "goodbye" when Pierce is flying off I just get all sappy.

Six Feet Under is a close second.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Two Sides on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm

LOST finale...

HannaK wrote:I've found my Sawyer to Juliet tbh :wub: :D
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Of those, Lost. But Battlestar Galactica was great (if controversial; but hey, I liked the Lost finale!), and you can't beat Firefly doing essentially a series finale in a theatrical release.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby dutchie on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 am

Dreyesbo wrote:and you can't beat Firefly doing essentially a series finale in a theatrical release.

:( I miss that show.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby SmokeyD on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:17 am

dutchie wrote:Thats easy, MASH all the way. After watching this I felt like friends of mine left for good. Whenever I see that "goodbye" when Pierce is flying off I just get all sappy.

Six Feet Under is a close second.

Hear hear!!!! :thumbsup: , MASH all the way.

While I admit that I have (and still) gone on record with my personal dislike for the LOST finale (Google = "Golden Shower"... :w00t: ), but even with that... You HAVE to give it to MASH. As someone who is old enough to remember where, when, and how old I was when I saw it, I have to say nothing can compare.

I was 12 years old, and I was watching the same show as 106,000,000 other people... It had a 77 Share!!!! This is a show my whole family watched for almost 11 years. In a time when we only got 4 channels on a 19" TV (And I was the lucky guy who got to go out on the roof to 'turn' the antenna to get the 4th channel!!!!)

There will never be anything like it again. I loved LOST, but it just isn't the same thing. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:44 pm

SmokeyD wrote:While I admit that I have (and still) gone on record with my personal dislike for the LOST finale (Google = "Golden Shower"... :w00t: )

I hated the last season so much that I havent seen any Lost after the last episode. I dont think my Lost DVD's will ever see the inside of my DVD player again.

By the way, googeling golden shower will give me plenty of hits, just not the ones I like ;)
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby DharmaLager on Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:35 pm

While I enjoyed the Season finale of Lost, I can't put it as the best...the X-Files last season/finale wasn't bad not did it excite me either...I'm still waiting for the third movie to really end the show.

I'm only on Season 2 of Prison Break, but from what I've heard, MASH had a great ending.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby Dexter on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Prison Break. Those last 10 minutes or so, when it was
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
4 years later...
Every character had such a depth, amazing ending, so fitting, and every one of them had a
bittersweet ending,
which I LOVED.
Dexter
Viewer

Postby sooie159 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:36 pm

I am not old enough to have enjoyed MASH, but you can't argue with the numbers - it must have been out of this world. While I am a huge LOST fan, the best pure finale of any show I've ever seen was Six Feet Under. While it was a great show, it wasn't ever my favorite. But that finale hit it out of the park. I watched it all on DVD from start to finish a few years after it was over, and after the final montage
where they go through every character and show when and how each of them dies in the future
was over I was crying like a baby! And I NEVER get like that! I'm a 25 year old guy from Arkansas for crying out loud! I don't cry! haha.

I guess that show was unique in its subject matter, so that allowed it to do its finale in a way that was extremely emotional without being sappy; that was the way that show was supposed to end and it was perfect.

As I side note - after I watch something, I immediately forget it (unless I'm specifically trying not to do so). Sometimes that is problematic, especially when you need the details from the past for things to make sense. I forget whole plotlines from episodes I've seen half a dozen times. But with the finale from Six Feet Under, that final montage is as clear in my head as the moment I watched it over two years ago.

-- Merged Double Post --

DharmaLager wrote:the X-Files last season/finale wasn't bad not did it excite me either...I'm still waiting for the third movie to really end the show.

Amen to THAT! I'm re-watching "The X-Files" this summer (up to the middle of season 4 right now) since "Fringe" went on hiatus, and I can't help but think that there MUST be a third movie to wrap things up. That story can't end with them helping a telepathic child-molesting priest! There has to be a final movie dealing with the alien mythology. Since David Duchovney has had some success with "Californication," he might have the juice again to pull off one more!
¡Viva los porcinos! GO HOGS GO!!!
sooie159
Extra

Postby dutchie on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:30 pm

sooie159 wrote:
DharmaLager wrote:the X-Files last season/finale wasn't bad not did it excite me either...I'm still waiting for the third movie to really end the show.

Amen to THAT! I'm re-watching "The X-Files" this summer (up to the middle of season 4 right now) since "Fringe" went on hiatus, and I can't help but think that there MUST be a third movie to wrap things up. That story can't end with them helping a telepathic child-molesting priest! There has to be a final movie dealing with the alien mythology. Since David Duchovney has had some success with "Californication," he might have the juice again to pull off one more!

I know that Chris, Gillian and David are all willing to do another.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby sooie159 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 am

dutchie wrote:
sooie159 wrote:

I know that Chris, Gillian and David are all willing to do another.

Yeah, I actually remember an interview with Duchovney in a UK paper (Telegraph, I think) earlier in 2011 where he said he was all for another movie and that international reception (money) was critical in making the second movie profitable and that was key in the calculations for seeing if a third movie were feasible. I thought making a movie ready for the Mayan doomsday in 2012 would be perfect (and it would coincide with the 10th anniversary of the show ending), but it appears it is too late to do that now, since we're halfway through 2011 right now.
¡Viva los porcinos! GO HOGS GO!!!
sooie159
Extra

Postby Sym on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:07 pm

dutchie wrote:
Dreyesbo wrote:and you can't beat Firefly doing essentially a series finale in a theatrical release.

:( I miss that show.

Yes, I miss him too, I really liked.

The best for me:
Lost, Battlestar Galactica, X-files.
TVSHOWTIME PROFILE
https://www.tvtime.com/en/user/6964315/profile
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/D0bT8qRW/Screenshot-6.jpg[img]

We are the rejected,the humiliated,we are the outcasts.We are the monsters that you created #TheFinal
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby DharmaLager on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Sym wrote:The best for me:
Lost, Battlestar Galactica, X-files.

You and I both have some of the same...we also both seem to agree on finales that many people hated!
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:24 pm

X-Files
I always dream that still make a film set in 2012, showing the famous "prophecy" of the man who smokes.
The final is not bad, on the contrary, to meet my aspettavive ...
Maybe another final would not have had the same impact on me.

Lost
if it were a final "happy ending" maybe I would not have been so enthusiastic.
The way I see it, the final year as a very good, thus preventing a future various Remake, I spin off.

Battlestar Galactica
I moved to the end, I found it poetic and sublime.
I do not think I could ever imagine another ending.
TVSHOWTIME PROFILE
https://www.tvtime.com/en/user/6964315/profile
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/D0bT8qRW/Screenshot-6.jpg[img]

We are the rejected,the humiliated,we are the outcasts.We are the monsters that you created #TheFinal
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Next

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General