[Official] Terra Nova Season 1 Discussion

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.03 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm

So last post I speculated that maybe the show was featuring riffs and easter eggs to famous thrillers, sci-fi, and action adventure films. Last week there seemed to be the obvious Jurassic Park and Mad Max and a nod to Under the Dome, and this week it seemed to tribute Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (even though these are tech. reptiles).

I didn't expect Terra Nova to be their breeding ground...I kept thinking there was some other plot, but I was actually impressed with a simplicity presented in this episode, because now I know the show will focus on both normal crazy things at the same time as the mystery politics aspect, making things not too predictable, and allowing some time for those things to unfold.

What I also found interesting was the character Malcolm Wallace....Alfred Russell Wallace was scientist who rivaled with and expanded on Darwinism in theories of evolution...Wallace hypothisezed about what has become known as "The Wallace Effect":

Natural selection can contribute to the reproductive isolation of incipient species by encouraging varieties to develop barriers to hybridization.

Sometimes also called "reinforcement" or "heterozygote disadvantage", the Wallace effect continues to be a topic of research in evolutionary biology, as it is potentially an important factor in speciation, especially sympatric speciation. Its validity has been supported by mathematical models, and recently by empirical field data on the evolution of differing flowering times as a reproductive isolation mechanism[, as well as sex-chromosome linked species preference in flycatchers.

This episode that introduced Wallace shows how a species might change location of procreation process, which could be interesting if the conditions would some how be extremely different and the birds would "mutate" and come back to haunt us down the road as something else...or better yet, to think about this theory and apply it to human beings via time travel!!! -(But I am sure I took this too far already, but I can't deny that "Wallace" might be something to think about in general)

Anyways I generally liked the episode. But will be looking forward to learning more things about Taylor's son and the sixers!
Last edited by DarthLocke on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby kristy815 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Liked the pterocels - the sci fi storylines are fine - I'm starting to think that the posters last week who said the family aspect is what comes off as weak.
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Postby Rogers on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 am

Hey - the show's pretty cool. I counted 32 minutes until we had dinosaurs in the first epi - and we didn't have dinosaurs in this one, which was a bit disappointing, but the "birds" were pretty intense toward the end. That flume twisting up into the sky toward the end was pretty awesome.

The characters are fine - I like some of the mysteries and the cast-off brother, that's pretty neat. I wonder, too, if the "probe" that indicated that the earth from which they came was in a different universe (or something like that). I'm kind of hoping that this will be challenged later on and the dire straights the future was in could be a result of what they're doing in Terra Nova.

I also like how the leader's (what's his name) story left him alone in Terra Nova for a few months before the others arrived behind him. I wonder what he got up to during that time - and what cool story there could be to tell from then, too.

I like how this show has some intriguing underlying mysteries to work with - and I like that they're genuinely interesting - so far this has turned into a fun sci fi show!

[Also - I think the family said they opted to have a third child for a reason - some guarded very personal reason they didn't want to talk about. I wonder fi the youngest doesn't wind up being adopted or something? ]
Rogers
Stunt Double

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.04 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Well I like this one!

I need to go back over the transcript, but this episode I think gave us some more things to chew on.

Even though the explaination was that a guy with alltimers was trying to create a cure, it was interesting that
1. There is an outpost specifically for genetic engineering/modification.
2. That Malcolm claimed he should go with Jim, because he is responsible for that out post.
3. That the 20-some year time period that those that were exposed to the virus believed they were still in, seems like those memories of that time period may directly relate to why some of them are at Terra Nova...Malcolm and scientific research....and Taylor revealed a war against Sumalia in 2031 in which people were abducted to have "experiments" done to them...he thinks Terra Nova is a "code" word for an "operation" ...IMO this may relate to the leader of the sixers, to Taylor's missing son, and the possibility that Terra Nova might not just be about starting over---but maybe to continue a war, or something else...

In addition I now can assume that ZOE's name is meant to mean something thematic as it is Greek for "Life" and sometimes meaning, "Life eternal", is Zoe the one who is not suppose to exist...and she is the only one besides Jim to catch a cold (as I don't think either were "suppose" to go to Terra Nova). In just about every episode, Zoe is left behind and almost forgotten...the one character who hasn't had much of a story so far, but I feel confident she is suppose to...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.04 Discussion

Postby Gary Troup on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:25 pm

The most over-exaggerated acting of a cold I have ever seen :lol:

And I liked this one too. The dinosaurs look really good, especially the one that killed the first guy :thumbup:
Gary Troup
Star Billing

terra nova

Postby thewalkingdead on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:09 pm

i personaly think that terra nova is a great show
my list of great new tv shows this season is
- terra nova
- person of interest
- revenge
. and unforgettable
and there is moore shows to come in the mid season

anyway what do you guys think of terra nova so far
thewalkingdead
Viewer

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Season 1 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:21 pm

So I finally watched the finale a week ago and have come back to talk about the season a bit, along with looking back at my opening response to "The Pilot".

I felt that there is potential to really open up a conspiracy-like can of worms...that idea that no one from 'the future' should be trusted, kind of makes the viewer question everything that we were told in the episode, because ins't everyone from there???....things like if there really is only one way time travel...if there are not other pilgramiges in other parts of history, if they had to go back to this period because "they" found something that they didn't think existed at this point in time (other beings???) -or maybe this time travel, or method of time travel is how they destroyed themselves to begin with???

I think it has great potential and thought as far as Pilots go it gave us just enough to wonder with out completely exploiting where ever the show may end up going...I think people expect way to much from Pilots...it's just suppose to give a sense of a story, but I often find Pilots become better once the story gets going and we can see how the Pilot set's us up to relate to these things that come later.

The Bad: Terra Nova gets on my nerve just about every episode, because the dialogue is over stated, occasionally over acted, the immediate plots can be predictable, and offers 'bigger picture' concepts at a snail pace. However, I personally think those are the only things that hold it back from being great show verses a good show. To some degree I can accept some of this format is due to trying to cater to a larger audience, both younger, older, and not just sci-fi fans, but reach out to the family-drama department.

The Good: The actors, the cinematography, special effects, and over all story of season 1 are top notch IMO. I generally like all of the characters, except for maybe Mrs. Shannon and of course I think Lucas is meant to be disliked. I like the plot with the sixers and the political atmosphere of blackmail centered around many of the characters in hopes of helping and or being with other loved ones from [the previous] 2040's There's also a survivor of the fittest theme, as characters find themselves working with people they wouldn't normally if the situation weren't dire.

Additional Thoughts: It wasn't until recently that I knew the creator of Terra Nova was a Star Trek Enterprise creator as well. For other reasons dealing with Mr. Abrams Star Trek, Fringe, and speculations about Alcatraz and the Star Trek Sequel, I had come to not only look over information about Star Trek Enterprise on wikipedia and the Star Trek Forums, but I bought the first season for Christmas. (which I like it a great deal) Just yesterday I came upon episode 6...which is titled, "Terra Nova".

It has become rather clear to me, especially seeing how season 1 ended, that Star Trek Enterprises ideas are rewoven into Terra Nova. Ideas about Terra Forming, Time Travel, and the idea of viewing humanity in different states...states which may include more than one time period of humanity conversing in a time in which neither previously existed, with the possibility of humanity reverting back to their more PRIMAT(E) forms of culture with memory loss or lack of being old enough to understand, hark back to Enterprise's "Terra Nova", the Xindi (or 'Planet of the Apes'), universal espionage, sphere builders reminding me of the first probe. -Not to also mention the parallels between two British self-righteous scientists named Malcolm (Reed and Wallace)

With the possibility of a Bermuta Triangle being apart of "The Bad Lands" and this other group of humans, as I embark with Enterprise, I find myself more interested to seeing where Terra Nova goes.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Terra Nova is officially cancelled.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm

DarkUFO wrote:Terra Nova is officially cancelled.

Thanks. I read the article this morning too! :cry: It's too bad, but I know it costs SO much to make it.

It probably gives Alcatraz and Touch better chances for renewal...But I also read that they may try and sell Terra Nova to another network. O.o

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm wondering if another network is going to be willing to take on the cost of this show. It's not a cheap one to make.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:41 pm

DharmaLager wrote:I'm wondering if another network is going to be willing to take on the cost of this show. It's not a cheap one to make.

It's probably far fetched, but you never know...Maybe Disney wants it. :P

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Previous

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General