Carnivale

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Carnivale

Postby nooluyolan on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:10 pm

From tv.com

Carnivale. The credits alone were the most costly and timely to make. The show does not lack in the quality that the credits bring. Set in the 1930s Dust Bowl, 18-year old Ben Hawkins finds himself all alone in this world when his mother passes on. But a travelling Carnivale takes him in. We also see the story of Brother Justin, a priest who is trying to find his way in the world. Little do Ben and Justin know, but they are to fight in a biblical battle. With help on the side (Ben with the carnie folk (Sofie, Libby, Apollonia, Ruthie, Samson, Lila, Lodz, Management) and Justin with his sister, Iris) they find out which side each are on and try to battle with the other for what they believe.

I think Carnivale was one of the best shows of all time, but it was cancelled after its 2nd season due to the increasing cost of episodes and decreasing number of viewers. And 3.5 years after the 'untimely' series finale, I just started to watch Carnivale again, and it's still amazing!!

What do you think of Carnivale?
nooluyolan
Extra

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Carnivale

Postby Zedd on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:54 pm

I watched Carnivale about a year ago and I agree that it is one of the best tv shows ever! Shame it was cancelled. It sets off a bit slowly, but after a while what you seem to enjoy the most is the dark and mystical atmosphere, reminding a bit of Twin Peaks. All the characters have interesting storylines and story develops throughout two seasons to a powerful finale. But of course all episodes are amazing on their own and there are those little details that make this show so special. I definitely recommend to watch Carnivale! It's a magnificent piece of art.
Wizard's first rule - "People are stupid"
Zedd
Viewer

Postby schizochick on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:55 am

Oh wow...I had almost forgotten about this show...it's been so long. I loved the first season. I don't think of the second season as fondly because I was unhappy with some of the choices they made but it was still an amazing show.
schizochick
Viewer

Postby Grendel69 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:22 am

I watched it a year ago on DVD ,Was awesome and then found out it was canceled :cursing: Although one of the writers left that show and wrote B.S.G. :thumbup:
Grendel69
Viewer

Postby Joshua on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:19 pm

[Moved to Old/Retired Shows Forum] :)
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby BauerUK on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Second best show of all time. Best? The Wire. If you haven't seen it, you really should.
BauerUK
IRC Operator

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:48 am

Love this show!! :thumbsup: Brother Justin :wub:
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby dutchie on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:03 pm

After Twin Peaks and The X files this is my third favourite show ever.
They did an amzing job on creating the 30's setting.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby bonniesrg on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm

I watched this show for Robert Knepper and loved it, totally weird and wonderful.
bonniesrg
Stunt Double

Postby Finli Otego on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:35 am

From a discussion in the Lost section:
Thirty-Fiver wrote:
sandi wrote:Have you tried watching Carnivale or Deadwood VirginiaCreeper? I enjoyed both of those shows, Carnivale especially surpasses any of the mythology/questions on Lost for me. I enjoy character driven shows which is why I found Deadwood and Oz so compelling, shows like V or FF just don't have that standard imo :(

Obviously I know about Deadwood but not too long ago I watched Carnivale too. I had no idea about this show so when I first checked it out I was completely surprised by how good it was. I quickly finished it and you're right, it's hard to find another show that has a mythology as fascinating as Carnivale's. I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

I always avoided watching Carnivale because of the premature cancellation. I remember hearing about how the die-hards were absolutely heartbroken that they wouldn't get any explanation or answers.
Is this an exaggeration? Is it still worth watching, even though you're left hanging?

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby b3rt4 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:12 am

Finli Otego wrote:Is it still worth watching, even though you're left hanging?

Yes. Just yes.

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Sandiwich11 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:56 am

It's definitely worth the watch even thou the story isn't completed. I don't want to say too much about the specifics of it as it's one of those shows that makes you think and question things on so many levels that you are best off experiencing it first hand yourself.

It's basically a good v evil story, thou working out who is which can be tricky at times as the story unravels :lol: Every aspect of the show is outstanding; fantastic cast, amazing music from Jeff Beal and I'd say that it's one of the most visually stunning shows I have ever seen.

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Finli Otego on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:59 pm

Bought Season 1 on iTunes.

I think I'm in love.

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Finli Otego on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Finished Season 1 just now, and I have to say this is one of the best series I've ever seen. I wouldn't expect any less from HBO with their track record, but I really should have watched this sooner. The visual style of the show is marvelous and beautiful, the score is one of the greatest I've heard. The cast are almost all at the top of their game, the standout for me being Patrick Bauchau as Lodz. I enjoyed every moment he was on screen. The writing feels real, although maddeningly cryptic when it comes to the mythological aspects, but isn't that part of the fun?

Getting Season 2 NOW.

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:20 am

Glad you're liking it, Finli. S2 really picks up with the mythology. It's been awhile since I've watched an episode. I might do a rewatch.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Next

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General