The Wire

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: The Wire

Postby dutchie on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:
dutchie wrote:
Finli Otego wrote:The serial killer arc, while being the least believable in the series, is definitely a memorable one. I really liked how the final season is kind of a McNulty showcase. We see just how far he's willing to go. And an unexpected benefit to such a crazy storyline: It is, at times, freaking hilarious. And the scene at the FBI that you mentioned is just classic.

Well, I guess its not really a season for me then.
Im still on a break from The Wire, I still have to finnish season 4. But somehow Im just not feeling it. I dont care about Marlo, he's lame and by the sound of it his story will continue throught he next season :sleep:
I dont care for the new kids on the block, I dont care about the terminator and his boxing school. Everyone I do care to watch is very much in the background this season.
I do like the lack of McNulty.

I'm curious, dutchie....what do you like about The Wire? Why did you watch so much of it?? Was it a case of you liked the first couple of seasons, but season four lost your enthusiasm for it? If you dislike McNulty so much, I'm just curious how you got through the first season. :lol: I loved all five seasons, personally. I liked how each season brought something new to the show.

Cutty, the boxing guy, is only shown during one scene in the entire fifth season. Marlo is a big part of season five. The kids and school system are not a part of season five. Dookie and Michael Lee are basically the only two back for season five. McNulty is a huge part of the final season after being in the background during season four.

I just finished season five, and I loved it.....especially the last three episodes. I will comment more on the ending a little later.

I loved the first 3 seasons but indeed, I lost my enthusiasm for it.
As for watching a show with characters I dont like, I watched Lost with characters like Jack and Kate for 6 years, so 3(in the future 5) seasons of McNulty is nothing compared to that :lol:
Its not the first time I lost my interest in a show. it happend with Oz, that show started out strong but became very weak and had very stupid storylines(cop jail, seriously?). Lost, 3 amazing seasons, 2 good seasons and 1 very crappy season. 24, I only liked the first 3 seasons. There are not a lot of shows that I like completely.
Eventualy I will finnish The Wire, but I just need a long break. I dont hate it, Im just not invested anymore and its a shame becasue I was very invested in the first 3 seasons.
Maybe I OD on The Wire. I did watch the first 3 seasons in a very short time span :lol:
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Sawyer5665 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 pm

I can understand that. I totally agree with you about Oz, BTW. The first 3 seasons were great. The first 8 episodes of season four were also great. The 2nd half of season four was mediocre. Season five was also mediocre and season six was completely ridiculous. :lol:

The Wire was enjoyable to me because I really liked a lot of the characters, but I also enjoyed the way David Simon presented the story. I love the quick back and forth scenes where we'd get 30-40 seconds of a scene and then it flips to 30-40 seconds of another scene and then back and forth between the two for a bit. I liked the way each season got something completely new added to the show. Seasons one and two were basically two different wiretap cases, but season three brought the political scene. Season four brought the school storyline, and then season five brings in the newspaper storyline. I don't know, I just enjoyed all five seasons...it's difficult for me to rank them, but I'm going to try to write down all my thoughts for the entire series later...Just for the hell of it while it's fresh on my mind.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Rebel on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:16 am

This show was filmed in my hometown. :)

-- Merged Double Post --

This show was filmed in my hometown. :)

True Blood's enchanting princess...
Rebel
Guest Star

Postby Two Sides on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:26 am

I started watching befor ebut only watched 2 episodes then got sidetracked :( But i just started again from the start, i'm at episode 5. I'm loving it :D very intricate. One thing i don't get is why the duration of the phone calls is important?
5th episode is my favourite so far :D
HannaK wrote:I've found my Sawyer to Juliet tbh :wub: :D
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby Gary Troup on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:35 am

Just watched the 1st season and I've gotta say that it is absolute quality :thumbsup: Some of the best "nothing" scenes I have ever seen. By nothing scenes I mean scenes that don't necessarily move the show forward but rock nonetheless! The scene where D'Angelo describes Chess as a metaphor for the drugs business is something special. :thumbup:
Gary Troup
Star Billing

Postby Finli Otego on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:51 am

Two Sides wrote: One thing i don't get is why the duration of the phone calls is important?

If they don't hear anything "pertinent to their investigation" within a certain period of time they have to stop recording.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Two Sides on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 am

Finli Otego wrote:
Two Sides wrote: One thing i don't get is why the duration of the phone calls is important?

If they don't hear anything "pertinent to their investigation" within a certain period of time they have to stop recording.

Oh right! That's smart :lol:
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby Two Sides on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 am

Why do i find myself feeling sorry for Omar? :O :O

Andre Royo is such a good actor! Great in Heroes, AWESOME in Fringe and AWESOME in this!! Gotta show some love for Idris Elba as well :thumbsup: Awesome actor, and considering he's British... that's rare.

-- Merged Double Post --

Game Day is probably my favourite episode so far! :w00t: Loved seeing so much of Avon and Omar
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby Two Sides on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:04 am

The ending to 'The Cost' is absolutely amazing :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: LOVED it.
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby Finli Otego on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:32 am

Glad to see that you're enjoying it so far, Two Sides. Hope you haven't read all of this thread and been spoiled too much. As I've said before, I think that Season 4 is probably the best season of T.V. I've ever seen. Can't wait to read your thoughts.

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Two Sides on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:25 am

Just finished the 1st season! Absolutely brilliant! Its a completely different kind of show as to what i normally watch but its so complex, like the writers were perfectionists :lol: The storyline was great, i found myself liking both sides of the story, the law and the street.
There wasn't a character who i didn't like, they were all fun to watch.. except that Rawles, he was an ass at first.
Felt so sorry for Wallace, Bodie and Poot as badass :lol: Avon and Springer are good to watch, closely knit. Loved Wee-bey, thought he was great, especially in the season finale when being interviewed :lol:

The acting is brilliant, i was going to list them but there was quite a few who stand out. Herc and Carver are brilliant together!!

Favourite episodes are probably Game Day and The Cost. But there were a lot of other great episodes. If each season is as good or better then this, then The Wire will be right up there with my favourite shows.

How do the next seasons work when they're all dead or convicted? :lol: O.o Can't wait to see what happens with Omar as well, should be good, right?
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby b3rt4 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:57 am

Two Sides wrote:How do the next seasons work when they're all dead or convicted? :lol: O.o Can't wait to see what happens with Omar as well, should be good, right?

Most people I've talked to didn't really like S2 but I thought it was even better than the first one.
You should be aware that it is TOTALLY different though. I was quite shocked after 2x01. :lol:

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Two Sides on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Hmmm :hmm: That's interesting. I will be watching it in a bit. I want to know what you mean now! :lol:
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby Finli Otego on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:37 am

b3rt4 wrote:
Two Sides wrote:How do the next seasons work when they're all dead or convicted? :lol: O.o Can't wait to see what happens with Omar as well, should be good, right?

Most people I've talked to didn't really like S2 but I thought it was even better than the first one.
You should be aware that it is TOTALLY different though. I was quite shocked after 2x01. :lol:

I agree. It's actually my second favorite after a re-watch.

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Two Sides on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:36 pm

"Uh Uh, the Bunk can't swim, i ain't to good at floatin' either" :rofl: :rofl:
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General