Chat Room Ban?

You can appeal your chat room bans/suspensions here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Chat Room Ban?

Postby AnastasioPhan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:16 pm

I believe I was banned from the chat room.

All I did was make a joke that tonights episode was about the Smoker Monster having a baby and he was going to name it "-- ------ ------" and then, BAM, I was kicked. Now I can't get back in there.

I have been in the chat room after episodes discussing theories before and never had a problem. There were about 2 other people in there and we were joking around about the island being purgatory (a long time joke). Never did it get heated or spoilish or did we break any rules. I don't know what info you would need, but my name at the time was "purgatory".

Thank you for at least hearing me out.

EDIT: Took out the reference to the episode name so no one else see its.
Last edited by AnastasioPhan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnastasioPhan
Extra

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Chat Room Ban?

Postby Joshjb on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Do you recall which moderators were in the chat room at the time?

EDIT: Listen to Icey. ;)
ImageImage
Joshjb
Former Staff Member

Postby Iceman on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Ok, a few things.

First of all, yes you were banned. We have put in the topic that episode titles are considered spoilers. Also there is a mini-FAQ that you should read before you join. In it, it says " No Spoilers. Spoilers include episode previews, descriptions or any other types of spoilers regarding upcoming episodes." Plus many of the operators give reminders. You said you have been in the chat before, so you should know that episode titles are considered spoilers. I reread your conversation today, and you were given a very clear warning about no spoilers, yet you posted it anyway. I realize it was in jest, but that still spoils people who do not want to know the episode titles. So because you posted spoilers after you were warned, you got banned.

Thanks for understanding :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby AnastasioPhan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:48 pm

I honestly didn't even think about the fact that that would be a spoiler. I understand you explanation and I appreciate it. However, what I said wasn't a spoiler. If someone read that and knew what it was, they already knew the episode title. Someone who didn't read know the title would not have understood my blatant joke.

That being said, I am not justifying my comment, only stating that it was not harmful. I understand now that I broke the rules, and I appologize, it was done 100% accidentally with absolutely NO harm intended. I ask with deep regret, that you please unban me from the chat. A mistake like this will not happen again. The only reason I made this mistake was because I wasn't 100% clear on the episode title rule. I avoid almost all spoilers myself and only knew the episode title because it was on my tv guide when I was setting up my DVD. Please understand that this was done with no ill intent and a mistake like this will not happen again.

Thank you for hearing my side.

EDIT:

There were spoiler warnings, but like I said, I didn't realize I was giving a spoiler with the vague comment in my joke. My bad.
AnastasioPhan
Extra

Postby seals on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 pm

That you disagree with the definition of a spoiler is disconcerting. While not everyone in the channel believes that titles are spoilers, being in the channel means that you agree with DarkUFOs definition of spoiler, which we enforce in the channel. And the excuse that you wouldn't know it was a spoiler unless you already knew it was a spoiler holds little weight, because that is true for all spoilers, no matter how large or small they are. The chat is a community, and if we didn't ban you for saying what is collectively acknowledged as a spoiler, we couldn't ban anyone for saying a spoiler. We have to enforce the rules evenly.

On top of that, while you were not banned for your attitude, and though you were joking, there were many people in the channel who did not realize you were joking and were intimidated by you when you were in there, and relieved when you were gone. Please realize that, even when defending a joke theory, aggression and implied defamation are not tolerated. While we will not ban for it, you can be kicked or muted. The channel is for everyone, not just the outspoken.

That being said, you did take responsibility for your actions, and I do appreciate that. You will be unbanned because you took responsibility for your actions. But please be advised, this will be the only time you are unbanned. If there is another spoiler incident or if there is any reason that any HOP or OP sees fit to ban you, it will not be revoked.
seals
IRC Operator

Postby AnastasioPhan on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:17 am

I appreciate it. It was a mistake that won't happen again. I'm not a spoiler guy, and I agree with you all 100% on the spoiler policy. Thank you again for hearing me out and understanding that it was not a malicious act.
AnastasioPhan
Extra

Postby Pete on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:16 pm

iLock.
Retired Chief Administrator
Pete
Former Staff Member

Return to Chat Room Appeals