Why i stopped watching this show

General discussion for 'Flash forward'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Why i stopped watching this show

Postby drackodelmal on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Hey nice to be back (only to share this then i will dissapear till lost is over).
Flashforward was very nice, however episode 4 Black Swan really was a bummer, i was reading about the upcoming movie form Darren Aranofsky, and read the black swan theory in Wikipedia. Turns out when the girl in the room is explaining the same theory it was a word by word quote of it....

:cursing: i am not against Wikipedia, i am against lazy writers who just copy paste info, and worst is from an open source. (think of it as if Mac's new version was a just a linux virtual machine)...

Therfore i am happy just watching sitcoms, and wating for lost... BTW has anyone seen anything else like this?

Nice to be back
Out Drackodelmal
drackodelmal
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Why i stopped watching this show

Postby DestinyFound on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:39 pm

I have never heard of this situation
This is ridiculous :cursing:
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby Desmond Hume on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:56 pm

drackodelmal wrote:Nice to be back
Out Drackodelmal

seems we come out of retirement at the same time brutha :P

anyway I completely agree with what you are saying I thought black swan was a huge let down :( I was looking forward to it because it referenced the lost arg tho :P which also failed D: black swan is a curse !!!
Desmond : " penny is that really you ! :

Penny " nah " *hangs up*

Desmond Hume
Supporting Actor

Postby Tranquility on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 pm

I stopped watching this show because it went on a 3 month break. In about 5 weeks i'll watch it again :PP
Tranquility
Supporting Actor

Postby brentoid on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 pm

several reasons why i stopped watching

1 - i didnt care one iota about the characters...now that may be the actors or the script...either way i was never emotionally invested in the show like i was for lost / dexter etc...

2 - 23/24 episodes a season is just TOO ****ING LONG...

3 - it was sold as a lost type show...it isnt
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby CaptianHopey on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 am

I stopped watching the show, cause the storyline just wasnt gripping at all, at moments i would sit there and think i really cant be bothered to watch it. The only reason i really started watching it to be honest was because they said it was going to be kinda like lost, and i know that nothing will ever come close to being anything like lost ever. Also because there was Dominic Monaghan and Sonya Walger in it aswell. But trying to watch a show for like 23/24 episodes that really has no gripping storyline at all is kind of like watching paint dry. :|
ago una , intereo unus
CaptianHopey
Supporting Actor

Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe with j.j. abrams.

Postby SmokeyD on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:59 am

I mentioned all of these on another thread, but I will submit them again...

1) The writing is garbage. TPTB seem to paint themselves into corners and expect ignornance to get them out of it...

2) The story arc's are painfully long, they will present a great idea about something in the last 4 minutes of an episode, but then they try to draw out the suspence for 3-4-5 episodes until they come back to it...

3) The writing is awkward with the dialogue being way out of sync..

4) They wanted this huge LOST tie in (As evident by the several LOST Easter Eggs), but then when a fan of LOST tries to point out that they are not pulling it off... TPTB say "Well, we are not LOST!!! What do you expect!!!")

5) WHO CARES ABOUT ANYONE OF THESE PEOPLE??? I didn't become addicted to LOST until I found a character I was actually concerned about..

6) If you hire actors who don't speak American English, try to hire a better vocal coach to hide their accents...

In a little more detail of my reasons:

- Originally, the FF show creators really... really tried to push a LOST connection/tie in. I offer as proof ot this for three big reasons, 1) A lot of crossover actors from LOST, 2) The show creators own statements in Pod Casts, Online video snippets (FlashCards), and 3) The heavy LOST 'Easter Eggs' in the Pilot.

Retorically, I can respect if TPTB wanted to throw a shout out to LOST, but after the first two or three easter eggs in the Pilot, I have to see a pattern forming.

- The writting has not been either neat or tight. If you are weaving a sci-fi based mystery based around the lives of a group of people.. either the Sci-fi has to be tight (Nothing worse than sloppy Sci-Fi), or the characters have to be developed in such a way that you become invested in them. And so far neither has materialized for me. (IMHO)

- The story arcs are not developed well. TPTB will throw a biggie at us, but then fail to follow up. It took them several episodes to even get back to a reference to 'The Towers', and in the time that elapsed between, the story went all over the map in a seeming non-relevant (almost chaotic) path.

- It feels like TPTB keep painting themselves into a corner with the story, and then all too often resort to Deux Ex Machina to get them out of it. And while I admit that Deux Ex Machina is a valid tool, it detracts from the story significantly when it is used too often...

- TPTB (by way of the Flash Cards) have told us the viewer to look very closely for clues, the problem becomes that we then actually 'look closely' and notice that while we may see what they are trying to show, we also find the 'mistakes', but are expected to over look them.
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby steveuk2009 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:11 am

1 reason and 1 reason only

The Characters are boring/uniteresting the only interesting character in dominic/simon
steveuk2009
Stunt Double

Postby morrisonicus on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:44 pm

Greetings,

Hey everyone. I really wanted to like Flash Forward. In fact, I started an entire website and podcast that is/was dedicated to Flash Forward. Unfortunatley, we stopped at about the 4th episode because I could take it anymore. The acting by Joseph Finnes was horrible, ie "Yellow Cake is a strain of weed that he was slinging!" (In my worst possible British guy trying to hard to have an "American" accent yelp) I agree with one of the preious posters...I could care less about the characters. I really wanted something that would captivate me like LOST did, but Flash Forward didn't cut the yellow cake. :D I don't know, I wanted to like but did not and I don't even know if I'll watch it when it comes back. I'll check out V when it comes back on.

If you guys want to check out the web site it is http://www.217podcast.com. I haven't posted anything in a while, so this website and podcast that I had big plans for now lies in ruins. :)

morrisonicus
morrisonicus
Viewer

Postby vader182 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:16 am

Other than Dominic, there is absolutely no redeeming qualities about this show. Total, utter, crap. I don't know why it got picked up for a first season.
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
We will be found in the end. 5.23.10

My theory that explains the whole show: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19711&hilit=the+light+side+of+the+force
sXe
vader182
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sym on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:06 am

Friday I have to watch the 2 new episodes ..... so far FF: I like a show so much and well done ....
TVSHOWTIME PROFILE
https://www.tvtime.com/en/user/6964315/profile
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/D0bT8qRW/Screenshot-6.jpg[img]

We are the rejected,the humiliated,we are the outcasts.We are the monsters that you created #TheFinal
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby w4vy on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 am

I think tptb have changed on flash forward or at least the show front runners/writers have changed or is that the same thing ? lol Anyway I'm giving it another chance when it comes back on on Friday (UK) so there :P lol
w4vy
Viewer

Postby SmokeyD on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 pm

For as harsh as I have been in this thread, I will give credit where credit is due... 1.12 was a good episode. :whistle: , I was a disappointed with 1.11 mind you, but the second half was a significant improvement.

But, I will say this, the way TPTB were firing out some of the answers, it almost seemed like TPTB had been reading our posts to find out why they were slipping. Because not to sound completely self obsessed, but some of hte answers really seem like they were addressed straight at some of the things that WE have brought up on these boards over the last several months...

I said this in the epsiode discussion thread, but good job on 1.12, but now keep it up!!!!
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby charliefan4life on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:30 am

It was really slipping with me before the hiatus, but it hit the ground running this week!

Thank you DarthLocke for the delicious sig!

Ian Somerhalder is my destiny!

I love you in a place where there's no space or time...
charliefan4life
Show Expert

Postby fingersplints on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:10 am

SmokeyD wrote:For as harsh as I have been in this thread, I will give credit where credit is due... 1.12 was a good episode. :whistle: , I was a disappointed with 1.11 mind you, but the second half was a significant improvement.

But, I will say this, the way TPTB were firing out some of the answers, it almost seemed like TPTB had been reading our posts to find out why they were slipping. Because not to sound completely self obsessed, but some of hte answers really seem like they were addressed straight at some of the things that WE have brought up on these boards over the last several months...

I said this in the epsiode discussion thread, but good job on 1.12, but now keep it up!!!!

SmokeyD I think you are reading my mind about this show, we always seem to have exactly the same opinion :lol:

1.11 dragged on, but 1.12 was fantastic. They gave us some of the character development we have been begging for! :)
mafia timer

Miss Ford <3
fingersplints
Star Billing

Next

Return to Flash Forward [No spoilers!]