[Official] Glee Episode 2.01 Discussion

General discussion for 'Glee'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Glee Episode 2.01 Discussion

Postby Rosalind on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:00 pm

"Audition"

(8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT: Fox)

Please discuss the latest episode here:

Synopsis:
After a tough loss at Regionals, the glee club is back as the underdogs of McKinley High. When the school is faced with even more budget cuts, Mr. Schuester pushes the kids to help recruit new members for the club. Rachel and Finn disagree on new recruits, and aren’t sure they will be able to come together in perfect harmony in the “Audition” season premiere. (Fox via SpoilerTV)

Season 1 Re-cap
Sneak Peek
Sneak Peek and Promo
Episode 2.01 song previews (Audio only)
General Promo 1
General promo 2
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Glee Episode 2.01 Discussion

Postby DestinyFound on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 am

That was an absolutely phenomenal episode! The emotional depth and amount of humor was calculated to perfection. I could not believe how in 42 minutes I actually became emotionally attached to the football coach. It was amazing. I am totally loving the Mike and Tina relationship, sorry Artie. And of course Brit, she was better than ever. "Stop the violence" and "Gross"!!!! haha. She is brilliant and
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
looks like next week will spotlight her talent perfectly!!!!
. I absolutely loved Sam and Charice. I got the chills during the diva off!!! "SHUT UP!" haha. I love Sue. I really hope Charice does not actually leave New Directions, but I feel like she might, which makes me sad. Well what did you guys think?????

"Empire State of Mind"

7.5/10: I don't like when Finn and Puck rap, I prefer Artie in regards to New Directions, but Mercedes definitely delivered in this one and the choreography was brilliant as well as the acting when Rachel and Finn noticed Charice and Sam!
"Telephone"
7/10: I am a fan of Telephone of course, but I was frustrated by the over-production of the song. I arrangement was good, but it was cut wayy to short, they didn't even get to the Beyonce part yet. Look, Charice and Rachel are arguably the best signers on the show and they do not need auto-tune to sounds amazing. So stop making them sound like computers. Please!
"Billionaire"
8/10: Sam has an amazing voice, but it highlighted Artie far too much to be an audition piece for Sam. I wished it was a solo, similar to Listen. However it was a perfect arrangement. The sounded suited Sam's voice, he sounds just like Bruno Mars. And like I said before, Artie is the best rapper on the show
"What I Did for Love"
8.5/10: Rachel always delivers on Broadway show tunes! The song was great, and set the tone for the ending. Her acting was great, but the direction and lighting on stage always annoys me. I like a natural lighting, not too bright, but that is not the point. It was brilliant. but I would have liked some more range Rachel.
"Listen"
9/10: WOW! Clearly the best song of the night by a land-slide! Look guys, for those that don't know Charice is absolutely an AMAZING singer. She has a booming voice, similar to Beyonce, and I was shocked by how spot-on her acting was. She was not too dramatic, but her hand gestures were so passionate that they improved the experience! Her range and runs were chilling! I want more Charice!!!!
Last edited by DestinyFound on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby theotherslover on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:18 am

My review will be coming to you all tomorrow.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby Notice on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:53 pm

i absoulutely LOVED it :w00t:

it was awesome when will and sue were working together, at first i didn't like the new coach either.
when sunshine and rachel sung together on the toilet and sue came in i was :rofl:
Sue was fantastic in this episode!

I agree, Sunshine is an amazing singer, but i have difficulties understanding her when she's talking (english is not my first language) but i'll get through that, i think :)

oh, i loved rachel and finn together :wub:
and mike and tina (asian 1+2 :rofl: ) are also awesome together, although i feel bad for artie.

and hands down, Brittany was A-W-E-S-O-M-E! "stop the violence" XD :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

god, i missed glee! glad it's back!
It doesn't matter who we were... It only matters who we are.

Life sucks, and then you die. And then it still sucks.
Notice
Star Billing

Postby CJ Sonic on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:46 pm

From your reviews I'm really looking forward to watching it tonight

Shows I Watch (in no order): Fringe, Supernatural, Smallville, HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, White Collar, Glee, V, The Office, Doctor Who, Chuck, Castle, Cougar Town, Psych, True Blood, Being Human, Misfits, Modern Family, Suits, Firefly, Scrubs, Falling Skies, Game of Thrones
CJ Sonic
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosalind on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 pm

yep, as ever, i loved this episode- the bit where Sue came into the toilets during the Telephone number and shouted at them to shut up had me cracking up...
not so keen on much of the music this week- ( the Billionaire one and the two at the end) Rachel's broadway tune went on wayyyy too long for me...

I loved Joe Belushi's character though XD, what a great idea role...plenty of material to be had from him\her i think :D
:thumbup:
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby Joshua on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:42 am

DestinyFound wrote:And like I said before, Artie is the best raper on the show

Unfortunate typo... :PP

I thought it was good ! A bit over the place, but it had to set the scene for what had happened and what was to come so it's understandable.

Agreed, DF, on the computerised voices during Telephone. Simply AWFUL. Ruined a great song. Was cringe-worthily obvious they were miming, too. I had that impression with Listen as well.

Empire State was AWESOME and Billionaire was great too - funnily enough the latter had been stuck in my head all day lol.

Sue was epic :thumbsup:
"SHUT UP!"

Look out for my full review tomorrow!
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby theotherslover on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 am

I'm going to try to write my review soon but I have a exam tomorrow on pretty much anything. I'm going to try but it will be up latest tomorrow.
I wasn't really happy with the episode but that will be clear in my review.

-- Merged Double Post --

Here is my review. I had to write it quickly, sorry.

The Audition

The beginning was a very good way to start the new season. It summed up the missing gap in the series and kicked start the season.
Beiste is going to be a great character. I can see it already. Her dynamic character balances Will and Sue nicely. Speaking of Will and Sue, I thought the friendemeies thing was going to be sad as I love their banter but their conversations were both funny and quick paced, everything I love about their interactions. It was weird that Will was following Sue in her bullying of Beiste. It was very out of character, but he did apoligize. Though it wasn't professional for her to take it on the team, even though she was right in her reasons not to let Archie play. He could have been really hurt. I feel so bad for Artie and Finn, they really do try to do good.
Rachel's plan to not get Sunshine is very in character. Her manipulation was brutal, but that is what she would do.
Empire State of Mind
Done nicely, but honestly not the song I wanted to be the first number of the season. A song with the majority being solo rap songs wasn't the grand BANG that I was hoping for like with Don't Stop Believing.
Telephone
Both girls have wonderful voices and the ending was hilarious. Though I should state now, I am not the biggest fan of autotunes. I'm a sound tech so when it comes to mixing I get picky.
Billionaire
The boys did a good job. The fact that there was 2 rap numbers in one episode is a little odd but it's okay.
Listen
She did an amazing job. Absolutely beautiful! Didn't like the choreography at all, but the vocals made up for it.
What I Did for Love
A good sum up of the episode. As a future reference when it comes to my reviews. I am a Broadway person, so I will almost always love these songs.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby Nick on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:48 pm

My thoughts: everything was great. Except for the songs, all of which I hated.
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby DestinyFound on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:18 pm

I have seen 2.01 four times now, and it is little disappointing now that I think of it. It really highlighted Sue/Will and Rachel/Finn. Those characters are great, but I wanted to see more Mercedes and Kurt. The song choices were ok, but nothing special. I have high hopes for next week though. and Rachel really didn't need to loose so much weight...
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:10 am

DestinyFound wrote:I have seen 2.01 four times now, and it is little disappointing now that I think of it. It really highlighted Sue/Will and Rachel/Finn. Those characters are great, but I wanted to see more Mercedes and Kurt. The song choices were ok, but nothing special. I have high hopes for next week though. and Rachel really didn't need to loose so much weight...

Yeah. Mercedes wasn't even IN the opening clip of what people did over summer.

I liked Empire State and Billionaire, but the others were poor, few and far in between.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DestinyFound on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:26 am

PenguinJosh wrote:
DestinyFound wrote:I have seen 2.01 four times now, and it is little disappointing now that I think of it. It really highlighted Sue/Will and Rachel/Finn. Those characters are great, but I wanted to see more Mercedes and Kurt. The song choices were ok, but nothing special. I have high hopes for next week though. and Rachel really didn't need to loose so much weight...

Yeah. Mercedes wasn't even IN the opening clip of what people did over summer.

I liked Empire State and Billionaire, but the others were poor, few and far in between.

Now that you say, that I am even more frustrated. Mercedes is an important character with, by far, one of the best voices on the show. She deserves some more attention. I have high hopes that next week will redeem be better
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Return to Glee Discussion [No Spoilers!]