8 weeks on, hows everyone dealing with life without lost?

General discussion for 'LOST'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: 8 weeks on, hows everyone dealing with life without lost

Postby Geroul on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:34 pm

I think I'll give V a try, since I love Elizabeth Mitchell.

I'm currently rewatching from season one and watching it with my sister who's experiencing it for the first time. So I haven't really removed LOST from my life.
"A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Geroul
Viewer

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby SmokeyD on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Your last is never as good as your first...

:whistle:
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby ShadowOfTheStatue on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:56 pm

I still miss it, but the forums help, as does the anticipation of the epilogue. After that it will be more difficult. I've started watching House, which is great, although not really similar to Lost. And I also blew threw season 1 of Modern Family, which I highly recommend.
ShadowOfTheStatue
Stunt Double

Postby Lockes disciple on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm a little embarrassed about my Lost-separation anxiety. It does give some solace when I see all the regulars that come back to this forum day after day to discuss the show. It helps me realize, "At least I'm not the only person still wanting to discuss this show!" Since I don't watch that much TV I just focus on a few shows and get really deep into them. All the other shows on TV I just watch casually and don't really care if I miss an episode or something.

Writing my Mobisode fan-fiction has helped me have fun with the mythology. I think once the season 6 dvd comes out and the series re-watch starts on this forum I'll participate in that. Then the new 2010-2011 television season will take over and hopefully I'll be able to get into some new shows.

What I do hope to see is another serialized mystery show come out. I was disappointed that both FlashForward and Happy Town were cancelled, as I was looking forward to getting into that type of psychological intrigue. But creating something as great as Lost is very difficult. It doesn't just happen by introducing a cool science experiment gone wrong, or a strange town where murders keep getting committed. It takes something more... But I do hope someone can do it. Perhaps someone adapts a Stephen King novel or something? Or, PLEASE, can someone get the Dark Tower film series up and running so I can have something to look forward to!!!

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby gimmers3000 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:25 am

Cheers for replying people, enjoyed reading all of your views. Like a lot of you I've tried the other shows (Only Fringe i enjoy really) but none of them can match up to what Lost was.

I agree with what you said beresford, i'm satisfied with the ending so i don't expect anything else from Lost, just having trouble getting over it lol! As LockesDisciple said, coming on here seeing the same people posting every day does help me. Makes me realise im not completely insane and that others are just as addicted as i am!

I'm looking forward for the DVD/Blu ray to come out as it means i can get all the seasons on blu-ray, plus with the epilogue coming out i hope more people come back to the forum, as well as the ones who've stayed since :)
Get up John, You've got work to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZaaw6wOi1Q Best video ever!

September 22, 2004 - May 23, 2010 R.I.P LOST
gimmers3000
Guest Star

Postby Lockes disciple on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:45 am

I enjoy stories of psychological intrigue. I prefer books because they require one to use their imagination much more than film or television does. With the advancements in CGI (and other factors) most audiences want to actually see the scary thing in the story. It used to be that the story only hinted at what the monster, the bad guy, or the alien was. It never really showed the thing, they just showed the reaction the characters were having to the thing and you had to draw your own conclusion. So you had to use your imagination and this made it scary for you. The character would describe the event and by the look on their face you knew that this was something weird or frightening. In books, the author can use interesting ways of describing the circumstance that can be fun to think about.

But in most of today's stories they actually show the monster, bad guy, or alien. The producers take a huge portion of the budget to put together expensive special effects shots. That's fine, because I enjoy seeing these things sometimes, but what I enjoyed so much about Lost was that they left so many things up to one's imagination. Everyone was pouring out thousands of theories of what was going on ranging from inter-dimensional consciousness travel, to aliens, to a mind-meld group hypnosis session, to whatever. That's psychological intrigue at it's finest! That's what it's all about: getting you as an audience member to use your imagination. That's what books and novels do so well, and that's why I felt like Lost was like reading a really good novel in which they just hint at something and then provoke my imagination to fill in the missing pieces so that it makes sense to me.

That's also why I'm happy with the way some things were left unexplained or vague and why I enjoy continuing to discuss and theorize over these things. It goes back to what I was saying about a lot of audiences today wanting to "see" the monster, bad guy, or alien rather then just using their imagination. People wanted the answers to the mysteries that were left up to interpretation instead of using their own imaginations to plug in those answers. I can't say I blame them because that's the normal thing. If a writer raises a question, then that writer should be expected to answer it within the story. But at the same time, I think if you take time to ponder a mystery of Lost you can usually come up with a pretty good answer that makes sense to you. There are a lot of really cool theories on this site alone, that give some fun ways of thinking about a mystery.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby Nautical Rudie on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:40 am

Im surprised about how much i'm not missing it, despite the fact that I am currently unemployed and bored all day. I always thought i'd have some kind of withdrawal, like during hiatus', but i think im so ambivelent towards how it ended that im not that bothered its not coming back somehow. Ive barely been on these forums at all, and im not even enthused about doing a rewatch either, I just cant be arsed. So it weird for me in that im not really missing it as much as I thought I would. Im looking forward to The New Man In Charge and my Claire Littleton bobblehead arriving though!
Nautical Rudie
Stunt Double

Postby JackVersusLocke on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:20 am

I think once I get the DVDs and the season 6 soundtrack it'll start to sink in. I think I'll kind of be waiting for new episodes come in February though. Same with 24. When January hits and there's no 24 it'll it me hard. Not as hard as Lost. It's weird but the Lost character really became like friends and family to me over the last 6 years. It's kind of like a sibling or cousin moving far away and getting the feeling you may never see them again.
JackVersusLocke
Stunt Double

Postby Mike369 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:22 am

I'm doing alright thanks to the forum and Darkufo, but I miss the show and I can't help wanting more Lost.

:thumbsup: Best ever case scenario for me is that Darlton get back together in a year or two to write a Dharma Initiative miniseries which is about six episodes long answering more dharma questions and offering extra insight and intrigue intro Dharma as I feel it wasn't explored enough especially in the final season. I'm thinking a couple of episodes focussing on the foundations, creations and set up of dharma on the island, an episode exploring Daniel's time in Ann Harbour, an episode looking at Sawyer's and Juliet's relationship over their three years in dharma and an episode explaining what happened after the hydrogen bomb explosion including what Richard saw, how Radzinsky built the hatch/his suicide and what happened to Pierre Chang. :thumbsup:

This will definitely not happen so I guess I'm going to have to stick with my rewatch which I'm not starting until I buy the complete series.
Mike369
Stunt Double

Location: In the Heart of the Island, dammit I'm dead. No wait, I'm Desmond. It's all good.

Postby chalovak on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:10 am

I don't miss it, cause I know that I can rewatch it anytime I want.
Before the Finale I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to let go this show, I thought, that I wouldn't understand the Finale and wouldn't be able to come up with interpretation. But the Finale gave me mine own light, it put all pieces together, so I was completely over it. It's like when you finish a book, you close it and you feel completely satisfied with the story.
Anyway, I'm reading "Dark Tower" right now (the 4th book), and it completely substitutes LOST absence.
chalovak
Stunt Double

Postby Ewing on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm still incredibly frustrated about the way it ended. Not just the finale, but the entire season. I absolutely loathe the purgatory resolution to the flash-sideways timeline and the deus ex machina "character" of Mother is one of the biggest insults I've ever endured as a viewer of any television show or movie.

I'm tempted to simply edit together LA X and the flashback segments from Ab Aeterno as an alternate finale of sorts. LAX tied up a ton of plot threads from the finale of Season 5 and Ab Aeterno answered a ton of questions in regards to Richard. I'm convinced that cutting the two together and removing the flashsideways segments would result in a far better conclusion than what we got. It would resolve the dangling plot threads from the end of Season Five and give enough information for the viewer formulate their own ending.
Ewing
Stunt Double

Postby Hatebox on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:09 pm

In all honesty I've barely thought about it. And that's a shame, I wanted to think about it a lot. But it left me nothing.
Hatebox
Supporting Actor

Postby steph on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:22 pm

TheManInBlack23 wrote:Lets just say, that I have cried more in the last 8 weeks than in my entire life. I really should stop rewatching the finale. But, I just miss it so much and I can't believe it's over. :cry:

Thats exactly how I feel. I actually cannot wath the finale or scenes from it and keep dry eyed.

Even watching earlier episode makes me sad thinking about the fate of Jack etc...

Im clinging on to looking forward to the Dvd's at the moment...

But it definatly doesnt help that Greys, OTH, DH etc.. all finish at the same time too!
"Ive Missed you SO Much" "I Couldn't Find you" "I have always been with you" "I will come back here for you" "Of Course I will" "I Love you" "I Love You"

Endgame forever and always ~ Jack & Kate
steph
Viewer

Postby rtterry3225 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 pm

I personally wasn't too impressed with season 6, after letting it settle on me for a couple of weeks. Now I must admit I did enjoy the finale on the night it aired, but as I sat back and took a long look at the series as a whole I just didn't feel like season 6 was that great. But at 8 weeks out I'm not really that sad that Lost is over, I now have time to devote to other things, and other shows. Just to be clear I didn't write this to hate on Lost, on the contrary, I do still feel that lost was the best TV had to offer, and that no other show can or will ever take its place in my heart. I also do plan on buying the season 6 DVDs when they come out, and at that point I will decide for good how I feel about Lost as a whole. But as far as re-watches and such, I literally haven't watched a single minute of lost since I re-watched the finale two days after it aired. I have not been able to bring myself to watch it yet, I think I probably won't watch any Lost until I get my season 6 DVD's, then I'll re-watch the final season once again and this time try to see more how it relates with the rest of the show as a whole. After that, who knows?
For: Haven and Fringe

Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on FaceBook!
rtterry3225
Show Expert

Postby Elsie Locke on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Honestly? I really, really miss it. It will help seeing the cast members in other things (looking forward to Nestor in upcoming episodes of Psych, and DDK in Hawaii 5-0), but if this is anything like The X-Files (and I think it is), I'll be missing the show forever. :(
Elsie Locke
Viewer

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Discussion [No spoilers!]