8 weeks on, hows everyone dealing with life without lost?

General discussion for 'LOST'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: 8 weeks on, hows everyone dealing with life without lost

Postby JacobsMom on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Lost was a show that I really loved to watch for 6 years but now it's over. I'm pretty good at moving on and I enjoy coming to the forum to still check the Lost section too.

I like a lot of other shows that I've been following the last few years and it is nice to come here to the forum to comment on them. Of course, most of them are nothing close to what Lost was but I enjoy watching them nonetheless. Fringe is helping to replace my old Lost obsession and I'm glad I stuck with it for another season. Persons Unknown has been a fun, summer watch. I also have the cable shows that keep me entertained throughout the summer and fall like Burn Notice, Royal Pains, Leverage and Warehouse 13.

One thing about Lost is that I will own the whole set of DVD's to watch whenever I want. It will never completely disappear but will always be there if I need to see it once again! :)
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DharmaDuck815 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:14 pm

It's really tough and I miss it like crazy, but Dark and my DVDs are keeping me sane. And at least we have something to look foreword to with the epilogue. It's going to be hard come fall when a lot of other shows are starting up again and Lost isn't one of them, but I'll survive. I accept that the show is over and I'm pleased with the ending we got, but I'm never going to be able to let go of Lost and I never want to.
DharmaDuck815
Extra

Postby Sophievdp on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm actually doing OK. I was totally obsessed for like 2 weeks afterwards but somehow I managed to move on a little :) I actually had to catch up on other shows, I had to catch up on Breaking Bad and Mad Men and I've been working on my research project for my Masters so I've had plenty to keep me going. I was planning a rewatch after the series finale but I think I'm going to wait til at least the DVDs come out. Then I'll probably get completely obsessed again :lol:
Why do you find it so hard to believe?
Sophievdp
Stunt Double

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:14 pm

I didn't know where to post this video but seeing as it's exactly 8 weeks old I figured this thread would be fitting. I just came across it but I'm sure some of you have already seen it.

The final scene in The End paired with the opening of the Pilot in reverse. Pretty cool.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby DharmaLager on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Thirty-Fiver wrote:I'm sort of content now that we have a complete series to rewatch, but what I really miss is the whole guessing game we all participated in week after week.

This...I'm ok without it. Warehouse 13 and the new Futurama distract me. Soon Chuck/Fringe will distract me very well. It's the whole guessing game of what will we learn, what's going to happen that I got really excited about that I'll miss. Fringe, hopefully, will do that a little for me.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby gimmers3000 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Thirty-Fiver wrote:I didn't know where to post this video but seeing as it's exactly 8 weeks old I figured this thread would be fitting. I just came across it but I'm sure some of you have already seen it.

The final scene in The End paired with the opening of the Pilot in reverse. Pretty cool.

Awesome video Thirty-Fiver, and the damn music gives me that tearful feeling, such an awesome piece of music and scene.

I've noticed a lot of you have mentioned a program called Breaking Bad. Does anyone in the UK know what channel this is on, or have we yet to air it? Don't really wanna watch it on the computer as i read the wiki page on it and thought it sounded great!

And do a lot of you think I should give V another try? I watched the first 2 episodes and haven't got back round to watching the rest (All of them are still on my Sky+) but i saw that theres a second season being produced so I may watch the rest if its worth it.
Get up John, You've got work to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZaaw6wOi1Q Best video ever!

September 22, 2004 - May 23, 2010 R.I.P LOST
gimmers3000
Guest Star

Postby rtterry3225 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 pm

gimmers3000 wrote:And do a lot of you think I should give V another try? I watched the first 2 episodes and haven't got back round to watching the rest (All of them are still on my Sky+) but i saw that theres a second season being produced so I may watch the rest if its worth it.

If you like Alien invasion stuff, and can get past some awful CGI, then it's not that bad of a show. There's always the added benefit of seeing Elizabeth Michell kickin butt too. Most of the episodes end in a cliff-hanger type format, much like lost did. But all in all it's really not as bad a show as some make it out to be. I myself am planning on watching the second season to see if I can love it or not, so I suggest at least giving the first season a try and going from there.
For: Haven and Fringe

Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on FaceBook!
rtterry3225
Show Expert

Postby gimmers3000 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:50 pm

rtterry3225 wrote:
gimmers3000 wrote:And do a lot of you think I should give V another try? I watched the first 2 episodes and haven't got back round to watching the rest (All of them are still on my Sky+) but i saw that theres a second season being produced so I may watch the rest if its worth it.

If you like Alien invasion stuff, and can get past some awful CGI, then it's not that bad of a show. There's always the added benefit of seeing Elizabeth Michell kickin butt too. Most of the episodes end in a cliff-hanger type format, much like lost did. But all in all it's really not as bad a show as some make it out to be. I myself am planning on watching the second season to see if I can love it or not, so I suggest at least giving the first season a try and going from there.

Cheers for the response rtterry, yeah I do love alien invasions and stuff (Loved the new predator film!) and I really should give it another go. As the second season is apparently airing in November this gives me enough time to watch the remainder of the first season, but with the Lost bluray out next month I may struggle seeing as i'm gonna be starting my full re-watch then with my cousin, which could possibly take a few months due to work and holidays.

gimmers3000
Guest Star

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:54 pm

gimmers3000 wrote:
Thirty-Fiver wrote:I didn't know where to post this video but seeing as it's exactly 8 weeks old I figured this thread would be fitting. I just came across it but I'm sure some of you have already seen it.

Awesome video Thirty-Fiver, and the damn music gives me that tearful feeling, such an awesome piece of music and scene.

I've noticed a lot of you have mentioned a program called Breaking Bad. Does anyone in the UK know what channel this is on, or have we yet to air it? Don't really wanna watch it on the computer as i read the wiki page on it and thought it sounded great!

And do a lot of you think I should give V another try? I watched the first 2 episodes and haven't got back round to watching the rest (All of them are still on my Sky+) but i saw that theres a second season being produced so I may watch the rest if its worth it.

I've been meaning to check out Breaking Bad for months now. I know I'll like it; I'm just not in the mood to focus my attention on another story. LOST took a lot out of me, lol. I also want to start watching Mad Men.

I gave up on V too. It's a shame cause I love Elizabeth Mitchell. I couldn't stand her son on the show though. :thumbsdown:
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby oni-link1 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't really miss the show actually.

During the first week after the Series Finale, I couldn't help thinking about all the time I spent watching Lost, and how awesome it was. But I moved on, I had to...and it's better this way.
I think starting something new is quite helpful. I'm now watching Fringe and How I Met Your Mother, and I'm thinking about watching Dexter.

It looks like some of you are having trouble with moving on...but come on, it was just a tv show. A wonderful, legendary one, but still, a tv show.
oni-link1
Stunt Double

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 pm

oni-link1 wrote:It looks like some of you are having trouble with moving on...but come on, it was just a tv show. A wonderful, legendary one, but still, a tv show.

Like I said in my first post, it isn't really the show I miss. It's the theorizing. I loved seeing Dark post a new interview from Damon and Carlton (no more Darlton :( ;) ) and trying to decipher any clues they might've given. I loved the week long discussions about the past weeks episodes. I loved reading new spoilers. And I loved the anticipation.

I'm actually happy the show is completed and we have a full series to go back and rewatch but it's the interaction with all of the fans that I miss.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby gimmers3000 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:08 pm

oni-link1 wrote:I don't really miss the show actually.

During the first week after the Series Finale, I couldn't help thinking about all the time I spent watching Lost, and how awesome it was. But I moved on, I had to...and it's better this way.
I think starting something new is quite helpful. I'm now watching Fringe and How I Met Your Mother, and I'm thinking about watching Dexter.

It looks like some of you are having trouble with moving on...but come on, it was just a tv show. A wonderful, legendary one, but still, a tv show.

Yeah true it is only a TV show but I don't want to move on and I don't really have to either. It's not as if I don't have a life other than watching Lost, I just enjoy obsessing over it so much I think it would be bad for my health to stop :P

I don't see any difference than people being completely obsessed with there football teams, Im also one of those people, got an Arsenal membership :P , as its only football! Cant believe I used that as an arguing point as I love football as much as Lost haha

gimmers3000
Guest Star

Postby oni-link1 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Yep, I miss that too...

Oddly enough, I'm not looking forward to seeing the show again at all. I'm a bit afraid of how I'm going to feel at the moment I start it again...as if I already knew I would remember those years watching Lost for the first time, and Dark's website, theories, Are You Sure buttons...

But thanks Thirty-Fiver. I miss the good times now :P .

And yeah Gimmers, I'm a huge football fan too. But it's quite different as it's something that repeat every year over and over, and nobody can say whether it's gonna stop one day.
I was totally obsessed about Lost...yet I moved on, and here I am ^^.
oni-link1
Stunt Double

Postby imani08 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:29 pm

The End was like a splash of cold water on the fire that was my passion for the show. I felt like it was a good ending for the characters, but not so much for the show. My love of Lost was about the process - I know Darlton told us it was about the characters - but I enjoyed finding out, for example, what the words on the cloth Jacob was weaving meant, and theorizing on how it was going to tie into the resolution of the story. The End showed me that none of that stuff mattered, and it just kind of left me deflated. My fiance watched some of Lost with me, but he was overseas during the last season, and missed it all. When he came home and saw I still had the finale on DVR, he asked "So, what was the island? What did it mean, why were they there?" There really isn't an answer I could give him, either directly or even to say why I couldn't answer his questions. I will buy the DVD set when it comes out, but the excitement of rewatching the series has been diminished.

I enjoyed the thrill of the story, and while I do miss that about Lost, I am hopeful I will find it again. I saw Inception this weekend, and in the middle of it, I realized I had the same feeling I had gotten when I watched The Constant, but it lasted longer. I like that feeling, of having to think hard to wrap my brain around a concept, and being compelled to think about what I had just seen hours after it was over. If Hollywood can find a few more of these types of stories to put on the big and little screens every so often, I will be ok.
imani08
Viewer

Postby gimmers3000 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:03 am

imani08, I too thought Inception was a great film because like you said it made you have to think hard about what was going on, instead of most films where the concept of them are just fed to you. I'm just grateful that I got to experience Lost while it was on TV and got to theorize with all you guys in between episodes and hiatuses, because I don't think i'll ever be amazed by a show again because of Lost!

gimmers3000
Guest Star

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Discussion [No spoilers!]