8 weeks on, hows everyone dealing with life without lost?

General discussion for 'LOST'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: 8 weeks on, hows everyone dealing with life without lost

Postby Twitchys Girl on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Nothing compares to Lost- except maybe the Muppet Show, which was also awesome. I follow True Blood which is fun. I wanted to like Haven but alas- not so much.
Twitchy's Girl
Twitchys Girl
Extra

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby deneph on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm hating life without Lost! There's nothing much to read on the boards anymore, especially since the griping has died down. There aren't really any podcasts, no Comicon event to look forward to, no summer game to kill time playing. I've been doing housework to kill time, HOUSEWORK! Gawd that sucks! I miss this show so much! :cry:

I have shows that I do watch but none of them can really take Lost's place.
deneph
Guest Star

Postby Leroi22 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Twitchys Girl wrote:Nothing compares to Lost- except maybe the Muppet Show, which was also awesome. I follow True Blood which is fun. I wanted to like Haven but alas- not so much.

I tried to watch True Blood but I couldn't even get through season one, it just wasn't doing anything for me. I do like "Sook-eh" though. :lol:
Leroi22
Supporting Actor

Postby SmokeyD on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Leroi22 wrote:
Twitchys Girl wrote:Nothing compares to Lost- except maybe the Muppet Show, which was also awesome. I follow True Blood which is fun. I wanted to like Haven but alas- not so much.

I tried to watch True Blood but I couldn't even get through season one, it just wasn't doing anything for me. I do like "Sook-eh" though. :lol:

With all due respect, I hafta agree with Leroi22 about True Blood, while I confess to enjoying Lost Boys (Boy am I dating myself on that one...yes, I am a child of the 80's :blush: ), and liked Underworld (Kate Beckinsale... :wub: ), I just can't seem to get into this latest generation of vamp movies... too much brooding and pouting... You're dead already... we get it... move on!!!!...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby Lockes disciple on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm right there with you SmokeyD. I never could get into this vampire fad that's come about in the last 5 years. I remember when vampires were the bad guys and the villains in the story. That's all it ever was. The vampire is the bad guy and he, it, or they have to be stopped. Now they're the good guys, and we're supposed to be on their side and fall in love with them!?! :S

I remember when the story was always about killing the vampire to stop the evil that is about to spread and yada, yada, yada.... now the vampires have emotions that are either super enhanced or non-existent. Or they have superpowers ranging from telekinesis and mind-reading, to flying or other forms of magic. And some are the "bad vampires" and some are the "good vampires" and for whatever reason vampires all like wearing black leather, dressing slightly goth and usually fight with werewolves.

I don't mean to make fun of the mythology because it provides entertainment for a lot of people and so that's cool for them. There are mythologies and stories I like that would have me labeled "nerd" by some people, so to each his own. It's just so funny to me how popular vampire-lore has become in today's fiction, particularly in the teen and early 20's demographic. It works as a great allure for what's sexy and stylish etc, because let's face it: nothing's cooler than being pale and wearing black leather and having an overactive sex drive that borders on sadomasochism. :P So that's cool for those people and if it provides them entertainment then good for them.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby Woongo on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:24 am

I also don't really like the modern vampire stories :(
I liked vampires when they lived in huge haunted castles, slept in coffins and were afraid of garlic.
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby deneph on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:53 pm

And they died in the sunlight, they didn't sparkle. Sparkly vampires? Really?
deneph
Guest Star

Postby Island on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:59 pm

To me sparkly vamps makes more sense. I mean, they're kind of like the sorta stone that sparkles in the sunlight. I've never understood why vamps would melt in the sunlight... :S And are they afraid of garlic because it burns their nose or....?

The new vampire fad does kind of annoy me though. I really don't like the shows, but I do like Twilight, but its certainly nothing to get obsessed about imo. And the Team Jacob, Team Edward stuff annoys me. Probably just because Team Jacob means Jacob from Lost to me and I don't like hearing the name associated with Twilight. :P
Island
Guest Star

Postby Leroi22 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:56 pm

To me sparkly vamps makes more sense. I mean, they're kind of like the sorta stone that sparkles in the sunlight. I've never understood why vamps would melt in the sunlight... And are they afraid of garlic because it burns their nose or....?

Really? Well the garlic, melting in the sun stuff is all part of the vampire mythology. Not "sparkling"....that is just so dumb in my opinion. :unsure:

I prefer the old vampire stuff, does anyone else remember Grandpa from The Munsters?? :rofl:
Leroi22
Supporting Actor

Postby SmokeyD on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Leroi22 wrote:that is just so dumb in my opinion. :unsure:

I know we have disagreed in the past on some things, but you are soooo right on this one man... :thumbup:
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby rtterry3225 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 am

So i think we've established sparkly vampires are dumb, which i totally agree with, but back to the topic at hand; what did everyone think of the sparkly light cave on Lost? My opinion... equally as stupid as sparkly vampires.
For: Haven and Fringe

Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on FaceBook!
rtterry3225
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:26 am

Leroi22 wrote:I prefer the old vampire stuff, does anyone else remember Grandpa from The Munsters?? :rofl:

I do. :thumbsup: and of course Batman and Robin... :batman: and all those great, old TV shows! :D
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 am

Leroi22 wrote:
To me sparkly vamps makes more sense. I mean, they're kind of like the sorta stone that sparkles in the sunlight. I've never understood why vamps would melt in the sunlight... And are they afraid of garlic because it burns their nose or....?

Really? Well the garlic, melting in the sun stuff is all part of the vampire mythology. Not "sparkling"....that is just so dumb in my opinion. :unsure:

I prefer the old vampire stuff, does anyone else remember Grandpa from The Munsters?? :rofl:

Well I loved Vamp stuff since I was 14. I fell in love with Anne Rice's works, but had been reluctent since. --But True Blood is IMO a good compairison because Rice and Harris IMO go out of their way to keep the vampire history as part of the mythology like Bram Stoker.

But Science fiction is just a vessel to use any extreamity in nature in order to tell a compelling story about "beings" and ultimately humanity.

I ma not into Twilight or Vampire diaries because it doesn't have the feel IMO that I need in order to relate to the horror of it.

But other works I like are: Let the Right One In (look forward to the american version as well), Blood: The last vampire (live action), the anime/manga series Vampire Princess Miyu/Yuri, and the Lost Boys (for Keiffer rocking Billy Idol purposes), and I am ok with Buffy-series. --And oh Coppola's version of BS's Dracula (Gary Oldmen and Wynonia Rider FTW)

I look forward to Burtons take on Dark Shadows and Abe Lincon Vampire Hunter (which the writer of is now writing the SP for Dark shadows as both are about to become Burton's next pieces)

anyways back on topic---comic con has Lost Bobble heads and Jacob dolls :cry: ---I still miss it.

-- Merged Double Post --

rtterry3225 wrote:So i think we've established sparkly vampires are dumb, which i totally agree with, but back to the topic at hand; what did everyone think of the sparkly light cave on Lost? My opinion... equally as stupid as sparkly vampires.

Disagree because "light" is one of the oldest things in human history that humanity has noticed and "used" both physicaly and spiritually in order to survive as a race.

Light allows things to grow--perfect theme about survival, life and death, and spiritual developement, and philosphical cultural developement.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Lockes disciple on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:29 am

I didn't mean to make fun of vampire mythology. I actually enjoy a vampire story every now and again. I'm just not someone that would watch a series on vampires or be a huge van of a particular story. I just don't have that much interest in vampire-lore but it can, at times, be very cool science fiction to watch.

I watched "Blade" mainly because of the action sequences. I watched "Underworld" primarily because of the action, but also because I liked the cinematography and the special effects were decent. "From Dusk Till Dawn" was stupid, but it was funny so I really enjoyed it despite it being extremely corny. It was just a great "low-budget-type" horror flick which I think Tarantino intended it to be.

I still remember laughing at "The Lost Boys" (which I loved) as a kid. It was so funny at the end when Corey Haim and Corey Feldman go to kill Kiefer Sutherland who they thought was the head vampire but the curse isn't lifted from their brother. Then that night they have spaghetti for dinner and find out Haims' mom's date is in fact the head vampire and they wonder, "How did he get in our house?" And it get's explained, "Oh, a vampire can only come in your house if you INVITE him in. If you don't invite him in your safe." :rofl:

WHAT? So all we have to do is be more prudent about who we invite to dinner? :rofl: Obviously it was just a metaphor for allowing the evil in your domain and so I understood it and that's cool. But that was pretty funny to me. Corey was like, "Put more garlic in the pasta that will let us know if its a vampire. Wait a minute, he's eating it and he's not melting... well I guess he's ok." :rofl:

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby DharmaFlashes08 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:31 am

Ohhhh boooooy. :P

Well, it's certainly been difficult. The last 6 years of my life, I'm always expecting the natural Lost hiatus after a season is said and done and being able to theorize with you guys and try to have the wait go by faster. But now.. that's not coming, and that's not happening anymore. All we can do is reminesce and remember how much this show impacted our lives. It's a feeling I love and a feeling I deeply hate. No hardcore fan of this series is willing to admit they don't want more and weren't ready for it to end. Or otherwise, if you thought you were ready to let go, and then the series finale is in the books, you might've been lying to yourself :PP

I will say, however, that "The End" was the closure I had always hoped for. It's wrapped up the show beautifully and majestically. Giacchino, Fox, Bender, and all of the cast made the last chapter the most satisfying and perfect episode and put my emotions had a new high. A high that may never be topped, because those last 15 minutes are still unbearable to me :blush:

This is one reason that makes accepting it's over so tough.. sometimes in the middle of work, I walk around and the last scene's music starts automatically playing in my head. I'm not sure I should tell myself to snap out of it or just let the feeling of sadness seep in. It's sad to know I'd be willing to give anything to have more Lost.. it's selfish, I know, but it's the realization that a tv show won't ever match what it did to me.. difficult to swallow.

So while I appreciate the fans and everyone on STV sticking through the dark times and trying to create as much discussion as they can.. that realization will remain smack dab in front of your face. My life was reconstructed and had some new perspectives thanks to this show.. the changes were immense.

On we go to "The New Man in Charge", something that will re-charge our hunger for new footage and something I felt is much-needed. Thank the gods that they thought it was a good decision to keep us itching for more just one last time, despite 'the' show being over. I just would like to see ABC put on an entire rehashing of the show, but I don't see them putting all 6 seasons back into their broadcast, neither would there be any room. For Lost, they SHOULD make room :PP Besides, most of those other shows don't last as long.
DharmaFlashes08
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Discussion [No spoilers!]