Live Together, Die Alone: Stories from Diehard LOST Fans!

General discussion for 'LOST'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: Live Together, Die Alone: Stories from Diehard LOST Fans

Postby lostislandgirl on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:48 am

Thanks Woogoo and Gilly_bean, glad you're enjoying it..there is so much more to this story, I've been busy at work and too tired when I get home..plus I'm waiting for a couple of friends to return from a cross country trip, to contribute as they are a huge part of what happens later. Just like LOST, we are going to flashback, forward and sideways. :cool:

I will be back with more story and pictures. And if anyone wants to tell us a little of their LOST story, please feel free. And if anyone is planning a trip to Hawaii and need some help..ask away.. will do my best to help. :thumbup:

I leave you with this shot of the classic "V" of mountains. It is seen many times through out the series, but probably most memorable from the pilot, when the castaways hear "the monster"..The location is right behind the beach where the crash took place, and I was fortunate to take lots of different angles, even from the water! :)

Dark also just posted a few promo shots from Season 1 and you can see the mountains behind Jack. A very iconic spot.

Last edited by lostislandgirl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DharmaDuck815 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:47 am

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like such a wonderful trip (except for the staples in the head)!
DharmaDuck815
Extra

Postby patihockey on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:15 am

Don't worry Dharmaduck, she was fine when we went back three months later!
patihockey
Stunt Double

Postby lostislandgirl on Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:53 pm

patihockey wrote:Don't worry Dharmaduck, she was fine when we went back three months later!

You mean to say it wasn't the brain damage that makes me still crazy for a TV show?? :unsure:
lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Postby lostislandgirl on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:03 am

....whooosh...our first flashback....

A week before my ride to the hospital..I took a couple of LOST tours. There are a few companies on O'ahu that are dedicated to taking LOST fans from all over the world to LOST filming locations. During the filming schedule, and if you were lucky, you might even see some live filming...alas, I wasn't so lucky.

However, while my tour group was at Camp Erdman, a YMCA kid's camp better known as "Dharmaville" or "New Otherton", we came across a filming crew, and we were told to be very quiet. I got very excited, but soon found out that it wasn't LOST filming, but a TV crew shooting some promos for the upcoming Season 6. While we were waiting, a guy came up to the group and asked if we were LOST fans...uhhh...duh...of course we were! So, would we mind being intereviewed? Not at all..bring it on.

A very pretty woman approached us, followed by a man with a huge camera. She told us that they wanted some fan reaction for the TV channel that aired LOST back home...home being SPAIN...On camera, she asked each of us, why we had come all the way to Hawaii and who we came with etc. And she asked me...and I had my video camera on, so I have this on video..how I thought the series would end. I told her..."I think that someone will die, saving the others..not "THE Others"..but the other people", this got a huge laugh from our interviewer..and she said that was an interesting possibility and that I was a very clever woman! So the interview ends, and they take some photos of us, and she told us to check out her blog on quatro.com, and the picture of us would be there.

Can you guess who this film crew was? If you guessed from the Spanish Channel 4, who made that awesome LOST promo with the chess board, you would be right. The interviewer's name is Raquel, and apparently quite famous in Spain. My first brush with LOST fame. ;)

Here is a photo I took of Raquel interviewing a couple from my group, honeymooners from Mexico that gave her a Spanish interview as well.
ImageThe Quatro Mascot
lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Postby lostislandgirl on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 pm

After my little "incident" with the bathroom floor, I was told not do anything strenuous...I still had two days left of my vacation and my planned hike of Diamondhead was out. Feeling sorry for myself and a little high on pain killers probably, I spent the next day wandering around Waikiki, took the bus to the studio but being Sunday it was obviously closed. I was leaving the next day, and I hadn't seen any filming or cast from LOST the TV show..I was resigned to it "not being my destiny".

But Monday morning, the day I'm to leave..I get an early morning call from Pati. "what are you doing today, what time is your flight?", she asks.. I was going to get some breakfast and just wait for my flight which is at 10:00 p.m. I reply. "well come back from breakfast and stay where you are...we're going to pick you up and take you to some filming"...OMG I couldn't believe it.

About an hour later, I grab my camera and sunhat..and wait outside my hotel lobby..a car pulls up and a blonde woman jumps out and gives me a big bear hug. Hellos all around, and I jump in the back seat. Instant connection. No thought on either side of how we're techically strangers! We start chattering and blabbering! Pati's boyfriend is driving and is just as vocal. I ask, where are we going..and they tell me "beach camp". Oh oh..that's the beach that's hard to walk on right? yup..but that's where they are filming..not sure who will be there though. They assure me that no matter what, they will drive me back in plenty of time so that I don't miss my flight..and they know the Island well, so not to worry about traffic.

We get to Police Beach..and walk the 1/2 mile or so (but which feels like 10 miles because of the sand), and there is a tour group there watching some activity. Coincidentally, it's the same tour guide I had the week before! He tells us that as long as we're quiet and no cameras they will let us watch. And watch we did, all three of us giddy with excitement. We saw Ben, Ilana, Frank, Miles and Sun, but only Ilana and Ben were actually filming at the time....but we knew we had a huge spoiler on our hands. Remember, season 5 ended with Miles in 1977..so what is he doing with this group??

It starts to rain, and the tour group leaves us..but the three of us simply sit down. A member of the crew approaches us and says, we're in "the shot" so could we move...but move closer..huh? okay! From the new vantage point, I was able to pull out my camera and take a few shots..not of the filming itself because by now they had stopped for rain, but of cast members..and the shot below I sent to this site and I am happy to say was the first of many spoilers and pictures that was debated and discussed! :roll:

Frank and Miles or Jeff Fahey and Ken Leong
lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Postby lostislandgirl on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:53 am

...Oh it's been a while since I've posted..I hope people are still visiting ;) This time last year I was still in Oahu..and I've been feeling very nostaligic for LOST and Hawaii!

My friends who will eventually join me on the thread are still on their x country trip, but it won't be long now hopefully!

So to keep this thread from falling too far off page 1..I thought I'd post a couple of interesting pictures.

The first one is from Dharmaville from October 2009. It is of the swingset and as you can see it was in pretty bad shape after Smokey had gone through it!

The second one is from March 2010. At the time this structure was being built in the parking lot of Hawaii Film Studio, and we had no idea what it was, and guessed it was another well like the one Locke had fallen down. We were close..it was the well that both Desmond and Jack descended to get to "the light". :thumbup:

lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Postby lostislandgirl on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:47 pm

How were people getting to see filming and spoiling one the most secretive and mysterious shows ever?? A BIG question, and even bigger question WHY??

Why? This has been debated many times, but mostly because there are people who wanted to know some or all of what was going to happen..they didn't feel it took away from their experience..and there were people who wanted to do the spoiling...win, win.

How was a more difficult question to answer. This site and others were always buzzing with new information, from the benign, like casting calls all the way to actual leaked call sheets. But when people from all over the world started travelling to Oahu and making it their main objective...the studio must have had a fit! :cursing: Afterall, Oahu is an Island and a relatively small one at that..you can't hide for long, especially when local people started to tweet or facebook that they had seen filming, cast or "the signs"...ahhhh the signs. Since production was so huge involving not only cast and crew, but catering, wardrobe, lighting and tonnes of others...and shooting was sometimes in remote areas, they needed a way to show the way, and the GSP signs were a indicator for the route. GSP stands for "Grass Skirt Productions", and once people figured this out, it was not long before LOST chasers followed them too...right to the shooting! :rofl:
Another sure fire way were the "no parking" signs. These were generally for a few days at a time along streets that were getting ready for filming, they need the street parking for the production trucks and cast trailers..but more importantly for fans or the spoiler gang, it showed how many days they were going to be there for. :sneaky:

Here is a street sign we found.

...the more people started getting interested in finding, watching and spoiling the show..the more "yellow shirts" started showing up...the infamous Security! They were usually big burly guys who probably have been bouncers in their lives at one time or another. :whistle: Their job was to STOP people from bringing out cameras and video and capturing filming and such..but they could not prevent you from watching if you were on a public street or beach (and all the beaches on Oahu are public). Private areas like Kualoa Ranch were off limits, but the streets of Waikiki, the beaches and Camp Erdman were fair game. :thumbup:

Here is a "yellow shirt"

Last edited by lostislandgirl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Postby Woongo on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Just wanna let you know that there are still people reading these, so keep up the good work ;) :thumbup:
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby lostislandgirl on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks Woongo for your kind comments. It's nice for me to be able to re-live these experiences :)

Okay so to continue on the theme of HOW you could find LOST filming.

Since filming was often in areas outside of Waikiki and rather than having eveyone drive to the location where there may not be enough parking etc, the studio presumably provided transportation with the Hawaii Film Studio being the pick up and drop off area. The vehicles used were large white vans and there were always a number of them at the filming sites, often seen taking cast to their trailers or cars.

If you saw one of these vans early in the morning...following it would not have been a bad idea :thumbup:

Here is a picture of a crew member getting into one of the vans.

lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Postby lostislandgirl on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:32 pm

To continue on the Hows of finding LOST filming, by far the best way was to have first hand, inside tips. As I've mentioned before, way before we even stepped on the Island, we did a lot of research and groundwork and made valuable connections to help us with our quest. We made a network for ourselves of facebook friends, followed local twitter feeds, listened to podcasters for spoiler information and visitied Dark's website daily and noted the locations. We had mapped out all previous locations and tried to guess on where the storylines might lead. We brought GPS and programmed them to regular shooting sites such as "Beach Camp", or Camp Erdman...and we would giggle whenever the GPS guy would say.."5 miles to Lost Beach Camp". :D We brought our laptops and cell phones to be in touch with each other because we weren't staying at the same hotel. In other words, this was our destiny yes..but we had done a lot of reconnaisance to make sure our chances were better than pure luck.

Among this group of contacts, was Ryan, whom I'm sure you all know is a local podcaster and huge fan of the show. One of us had contacted Ryan prior to us leaving, and he told her that the best way was to contact him daily, and he would share any leads he had..on the condition that he have exclusivity on any spoilers. This seemed fair. However he gave that offer to everyone who called him. This seemed obvious when the same people would show up at all the locations, some sooner, some later. It got to the point where we would say "I wonder when so and so from California is going to show up?", We were usually there first, probably because we had our own rental cars and GPS, we also sometimes split up, and would contact each other if the other group found something worthwhile. But we looked forward to seeing all the other folks and the comaraderie and LOST talk. What we didn't expect however was that some of those people were competitive for Ryan's tips to the point where they were sabotaging us. . . :sneaky:

My friends and I all had the same frame of mind..this was a SHARED experience..to use a LOST term, "we had each other's back". We didn't even know each other three months before and here we were on vacation together..and there were others that didn't join us that was also rooting for us and giving us helpful hints by text or email.

...to be continued...stay tuned
lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Postby JacobsMom on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:14 am

I just wanted to tell lostislandgirl that I've really enjoyed reading your posts on here because it reminds me of how many people loved Lost! I probably will never get to Hawaii to see these sites but your posts make it seem like I've already been there. :)

It is interesting how your group get-togethers at these Lost filming sites sounds a lot like the reality show "The Amazing Race". When you said that other people were sabotaging you, I thought of that show immediately. :lol: But not everyone is like that and we know that the TRUE Lost fans are much nicer.

Thanks again for all these great stories and pictures of everyone's favorite show Lost!
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby lostislandgirl on Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:44 pm

JacobsMom wrote:I just wanted to tell lostislandgirl that I've really enjoyed reading your posts on here because it reminds me of how many people loved Lost! I probably will never get to Hawaii to see these sites but your posts make it seem like I've already been there. :)

It is interesting how your group get-togethers at these Lost filming sites sounds a lot like the reality show "The Amazing Race". When you said that other people were sabotaging you, I thought of that show immediately. :lol: But not everyone is like that and we know that the TRUE Lost fans are much nicer.

Thanks again for all these great stories and pictures of everyone's favorite show Lost!

Thanks JacobsMom..yes so many of us Loved LOST and are still grieving :( But it's nice that we can still share each other's stories on how LOST changed us for the better hopefully.

..Where was I?

Oh yeah...chasing LOST clues to the filming!

So like I mentioned, during our stay in Feb-Mar of 2010, we devoted our time in trying to root out where shooting might have been taking place. Sometimes, one place we found might actually lead to another. For instance, one morning we heard from Ryan that there was possible filming going on at the Lotus Hotel. This hotel was walking distance from our hotel, so we decided that a couple of us would walk there and see if anything interesting was going on.

As we approached, we found the parking signs and big production trucks. one of the trailers said "school room", so a child must have been there as they are supposed to be schooled for part of the day....looked promising, we figured it must be David or Aaron! However the filming was inside the hotel and we couldn't just walk in. There were also several fans already there..and they were waiting mostly for some cast to either enter or leave the building. After about 1/2 hour or so, we came up with a plan.. we walked up to the outside reception and asked if we could use the rest rooom...sure and they pointed us to the second floor. We walked up and we took pictures of several large empty rooms...one of which was later revealed to be the bar where Charlotte and Sawyer meet up in the sideways!

After about an hour, we decided that whatever filming was planned had either already taken place, or they were just setting up for later. We were after all on vacation, and sometimes you just have to know when to just give up and move on. As we walked out, we noticed the prop van and crew putting stuff away. I was holding my polar bear with his Dharma T on...and one of the guys said "hey are you LOST fans?". Yes, we reply and ask them if anything was going on. Nah, they were getting ready to move on...and where would that be I ask innocently. He replied that he can't tell us directly, but its near "Crash beach", and when would that be I ask.."oh in a day or so"...bingo :rofl:
Last edited by lostislandgirl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

Postby anoirtac on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:26 pm

I'm loving your adventures. Can't wait to read more :thumbup:
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
anoirtac
Extra

Postby lostislandgirl on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 pm

anoirtac wrote:I'm loving your adventures. Can't wait to read more :thumbup:

Thank you anoitac...I've been busy with RL, but I will finish this story...we still have a few more chapters (seasons?), to go. :cool:

-- Merged Double Post --

So Happy New Year everyone! This time last year, we were all waiting for the season premiere, some were looking at spoilers, some were staying spoiler free, some were going to the premiere..some were going to watch on our TV :cry: But it was bittersweet, we knew it was the "beginning of the end", and we had waited so long! My friends and I had decided against going to the premiere, and decided to go back in late February - March; but I'm one of those people who watched the video streaming from the sunset on the beach screening, and it was awesome!

Here is a picture of my friends and I recreating "The Purge at Dharmaville". :w00t:

lostislandgirl
Stunt Double

PreviousNext

Return to Lost Discussion [No spoilers!]