[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Spoilerfree Game of Thrones Discussion

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby cheggie on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:57 am

Bella wrote:As for Dany (as it's shortened in the books), she's not frigid -- she's very young (13 in the books, and probably only 16ish on the show) and a virgin, and she's being used by her evil brother toward his own end. As more of their history is revealed, you'll understand that the poor thing is just being used as a pawn and is basically powerless right now.

Any of the sex shown (save for the scene with Tyrion, which wasn't very graphic, anyway) was taken directly from the book -- so hopefully, they won't add to it gratuitously. In the books, it's not gratuitous, but it helps flesh these characters out as real and three-dimensional -- even more so than in my beloved LOTR, which was another quasi-medieval fantasy world, but one where no one appeared to have sex.

Totally right.
cheggie
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Joshua on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 am

Magic Box wrote:Josh, sorry. Think you could hang in for a few more episodes?

I had to grab my laptop to keep from falling asleep, so paid little attention to the second half. Not worth the trouble of downloading imo.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:03 pm

I just can't way to see how Jon Snow might connect to things (Snow--'winter's coming'---white walkers). Because he is not the queen's son, it appears he has been made to feel it by a lot of people, and this episode seemed to really hit on how he doesn't deal with it so well. ---He just already has a natural 'outsider-ness' to him and I look forward to see where it goes---he should go save that poor girl from her brother and new husband--they just would look cute together and it seems like their characters are similar, despite her appearing powerless at the moment.

I am also really interested in the youngest Stark girl...can anyone tell me if we see some of the younger characters grow up through out the books??

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Havn't watched it, but I'm glad that they are discussions here. :)

A turn off for some could be that it isn't a black vs. white kind of conflict. Who do we root for? The Starks seem the obvious choice, but then again, I don't like how mean Catelyn is to Jon (havn't watched it, but I know there's a stink eye from her in his direction in the first 15 minutes :p). The Lannisters can be seen as antagonists...but Tyrion is just awesome.

About Dany...she never clicked for me in the books, tbqh. Hope I like her more in the series. At this point, I am really hoping, as you are, that she sees her brother as he truly is. At least now, she's a queen (well...kahleesi), so that's a plus.

Hope you all stick with it at least the first season :) I feel that this is an interesting TV experiment, and I hope it'll be successfull. Can't wait to see, for example, how they manag a battle, given the TV budget.

-Valar Morghulis

(Sorry, hate teasing, but I like that phrase :p)
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:15 pm

DarthLocke wrote:I just can't way to see how Jon Snow might connect to things (Snow--'winter's coming'---white walkers). Because he is not the queen's son, it appears he has been made to feel it by a lot of people, and this episode seemed to really hit on how he doesn't deal with it so well. ---He just already has a natural 'outsider-ness' to him and I look forward to see where it goes---he should go save that poor girl from her brother and new husband--they just would look cute together and it seems like their characters are similar, despite her appearing powerless at the moment.

Jon's storyline is one of my favorites in the books, and one the audience will like too. A coming of age story. Plus one of my favorite elements is that while everyone is squabbling about the throne in the south, we know (from the opening scene) that the threat in the cold north is more important.
I am also really interested in the youngest Stark girl...can anyone tell me if we see some of the younger characters grow up through out the books??

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Yes.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby frekkells on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:33 pm

DarthLocke wrote:I just can't way to see how Jon Snow might connect to things (Snow--'winter's coming'---white walkers). Because he is not the queen's son, it appears he has been made to feel it by a lot of people, and this episode seemed to really hit on how he doesn't deal with it so well. ---He just already has a natural 'outsider-ness' to him and I look forward to see where it goes---he should go save that poor girl from her brother and new husband--they just would look cute together and it seems like their characters are similar, despite her appearing powerless at the moment.

The surname Snow is for bastard's born in the north as they don't take their father's name. Each kingdom has their own surname for bastards. I never connected Snow with Winter is Coming, the Stark's words, but I think that is brilliant.

One of the best part of the books for me was the children. I am happy, so far, with the kids they got to play them. Have to admit, I was a little wary of having so much of the story revolving around the kids.

I really enjoyed the first episode, and as other's have mentioned, the character's were so well defined by little moments in the show. Can't wait for episode 2. Unfortunately, Sunday nights are a bad viewing night for me, as I don't let my children watch HBO, not til they are a little older. But even a few days late, it was interesting to read through the comments, especially from those who haven't read the books. Some very spot on observations. :thumbsup:
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks Dreyesbo and Frekkells for the information! :thumbup: Can't wait till Sunday!!! :)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Finally saw this. Didn't love it, but I liked it. I felt like it was pretty stiff, forced to follow the books. I know that's the way it's supposed to be...but right now I felt it was plot moving things forward, instead of characters. But because of the structure of the story (starting, in a way, in the middle of the events) may force it to be that way for now. I'll watch the second episode this weekend.

Valar Morghulis.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Previous

Return to Game of Thrones Discusson [No Spoilers]