[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.05 Discussion

Spoilerfree Game of Thrones Discussion

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.05 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 pm

"The Lion and the Wolf"

09:00PM

Discuss the latest Game of Thrones episode here

Incensed over news of Daenerys’ alliance with the Dothrakis, Robert orders a preemptive strike on the Targaryens that drives a wedge in his relationship with Ned. A captive Tyrion helps Catelyn, but receives a cold reception at the Eyrie from her sister, John Arryn’s widow Lysa (Kate Dickie). Sansa is charmed by the dashing Ser Loras Tyrell (Finn Jones), aka the Knight of Flowers. Arya overhears a plot against her father.

Check out STV.com/Game of Thrones for Spoilers and more.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.05 Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon May 16, 2011 5:16 am

CRAAAAAZY episode!!

I hated to see Jory get killed...Ned is truly alone now. I can't wait to find out how the King reacts to what went down between Ned and Jaime.

One of the craziest, weirdest things ever shown on tv....perhaps surpassing True Blood's Bill/Lorena sex scene from last year where Bill twisted Lorena's head around during sex....Catelyn Stark's sister!!! Her son...who had to be at least 8-10 years old....was sucking on her.....well you know.

Crazy!
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Mon May 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Her sister and that kid are real bonkers.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby DarthLocke on Mon May 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:CRAAAAAZY episode!!

I hated to see Jory get killed...Ned is truly alone now. I can't wait to find out how the King reacts to what went down between Ned and Jaime.

One of the craziest, weirdest things ever shown on tv....perhaps surpassing True Blood's Bill/Lorena sex scene from last year where Bill twisted Lorena's head around during sex....Catelyn Stark's sister!!! Her son...who had to be at least 8-10 years old....was sucking on her.....well you know.

Crazy!

I have to say this was the most disturbing scene I have seen, ever!!! :scared: :scared: It's one of those things that I don't think any one could ever be prepared to see or read...

Jamie strikes me as the biggest loose cannon so far. I hope someone spikes him a good one sometime.

Anyways thought this one was really good, lots of political stuff revealed, and I am glad Ned has shown to be pretty honorable and has his moral limits. I also really liked how Bran was reciting the names, slogans, and geographic locations of the kingdoms, including Tull, and then we get to see Catelyn's sister and BAMMMM! Something clearly went wrong there... :lol:

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon May 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Yeah, I can't wait to get more background on her sister. What exactly went wrong there? Jon Arryn was supposedly a good, honorable man and not a complete nut job like she is. And she was his wife, no? I wouldn't think that that kind of lunacy would just pop up because her hubby died. A kid doesn't just start breastfeeding again after years...it appeared that he was in full on mommy's boy mode.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon May 16, 2011 7:43 pm

I knew what was coming when I started this episode, but still couldn't bear to watch it. My heart is at my throat right now. That final scene was the moment were I knew that I hated Jamie... poor Jory. Of course we would have lost against the Kingslayer.

DarthLocke wrote:Jamie strikes me as the biggest loose cannon so far. I hope someone spikes him a good one sometime.

I agree. He doesn't seem to want power, as least not as much as Cersei, or every other contender for the Throne. But I do think we saw a shade of honor in him, when a Lannister guard took down Ned. He looked upset, and as we saw, actually took down the guard who did it.

The sense of doom was palpable throughout the episode: Lord Varys and Magister Illyrio discussing Ned, Robert putting out a kill order against Daenerys, Lord Baelish being his usual smug self. But for me the defining point was Robert and Cersei's conversation...the tension and hatred between them are visible, and Robert's "No." sealed whatever chance of a truce the Baratheon, Lannister, and Stark could've had.

And Lysa Arryn...really disturbing.

Sawyer5665 wrote:And she was his wife, no? I wouldn't think that that kind of lunacy would just pop up because her hubby died. A kid doesn't just start breastfeeding again after years...it appeared that he was in full on mommy's boy mode.

Yes, she was Jon Arryn's wife...and I agree, the kid seemed even younger for his age. Calling her "Mommy", and the "bad man"... physically, he looks like Bran's age to me, but Bran is a hell of a lot tougher and smarter (as we saw earlier).
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby gracie lou on Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Great episode! :thumbup:

Although there is no way that the characters can be as developed in the TV series as they are in the book, I like that we get to see additional dialogue between the characters. It really helps you understand the motivation behind some of the people that aren't POV characters in the written series.

I just love, love Arya and Tyrion. They are just perfectly cast - amazing!!

Poor Jory - stabbed right in the eye - he was such a nice guy. :( I was prepared for some gore, but I had completely forgotten that Gregor slew his horse - that was so brutal.

Not sure I am liking the portrayal of Cersi, as much. In the books she is such an evil, love to hate her type character, but I almost feel bad for her in the show.

Sawyer5665 wrote:Yeah, I can't wait to get more background on her sister. What exactly went wrong there? Jon Arryn was supposedly a good, honorable man and not a complete nut job like she is. And she was his wife, no? I wouldn't think that that kind of lunacy would just pop up because her hubby died. A kid doesn't just start breastfeeding again after years...it appeared that he was in full on mommy's boy mode.

All the children are a few years older in the TV series than in the book. "Little Lord" Arryn is six in the books, but probably about 7-8, here. The breast-feeding scene was totally in the book, and just as disturbing. The whole scene was great, and showed how bat a@# crazy Lysa is - they will go into more of her background, I assume, but seeing how shocked Cat was, you can tell that Lysa wasn't always like that. I think dealing with the Lannisters was what finally did her in mentally, but she was on her way for a number of years, I would guess.
gracie lou
Viewer

Postby Magic Box on Thu May 19, 2011 5:16 am

Ewww, indeed, that scene with the clown lady and her entitled son. Gosh, I hope there was a ton of special effects there so we don't have to scratch our heads about who are the parents who read the script and screamed, "Excellent! We're signing our son right in! When's the check gonna be mailed?"

Then a horse is beheaded. Man, there should be a rating category for animal violence.

Okay, whining over, this was again a very good episode. And again one I'm going to need to rewatch because, geez, how many more people will they introduce per episode?

The Lannisters, if they're not called Tyrion, can go play in the freeway. They're not the awesome kind of bad Benjamin Linus was, even after her killed Locke. They're arrogant baddies with no stream of humanity. Now I fear that with Tyrion in Cat's hands, they'll launch a plan after Arya. Because Sansa, as bethroted to that blond little worm, would be intouchable. Ned better scram out of there faster than Robert kills a glass of wine, but seeing how he's been distracted from his plan, not sure he's about to behead another Wall deserter soon.

Speaking of, I missed having scenes from The Wall and the blondie Khaleesi with her sicko blondie brother. Those are my two favorite story lines because they hold more mystery than the political shenanigans happening at King's Landing. But thank you, King's Landing, for having Littlefinger. He cracks me up.

gracie lou wrote:Not sure I am liking the portrayal of Cersi, as much. In the books she is such an evil, love to hate her type character, but I almost feel bad for her in the show.

Crap. I haven't read the books but don't feel bad for her one single bit on the show. I shiver at the thought of what kind of sophisticated cruel creep she must be in the books.

Dreyesbo wrote:He doesn't seem to want power, as least not as much as Cersei, or every other contender for the Throne. But I do think we saw a shade of honor in him, when a Lannister guard took down Ned. He looked upset, and as we saw, actually took down the guard who did it.

I thought it was his ego wanting his own personal victory over Ned, thank you for help but no. He doesn't want power, I think he wants to be recognized and appreciated. Loved. Sorry, ser, wrong tactics.

DarthLocke wrote:I also really liked how Bran was reciting the names, slogans, and geographic locations of the kingdoms

That was so nice of the writers to set out that scene. They did the same in the last episode with Sansa and her nanny. It helps the viewer to download and retain all that information.

Bran is such a huggable cute little munchkin. I'll be forever grateful to Tyrion for designing his horseback riding gear.

Speaking of Tyrion, I hope he's not a sleepwalker. :scared:
ImageImage
Owner of Ben's red tie, Ben's Bendiana Jones outfit, Ben's bunny, and Ben's "Don't you read?" line.
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Location: Near the polar bears, far from the Frozen Donkey Wheel

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu May 19, 2011 6:25 am

It had to be a prosthetic boob.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Thu May 19, 2011 9:01 am

Yeah, the boob looked a bit fake.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby gracie lou on Thu May 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Magic Box wrote:Ewww, indeed, that scene with the clown lady and her entitled son. Gosh, I hope there was a ton of special effects there so we don't have to scratch our heads about who are the parents who read the script and screamed, "Excellent! We're signing our son right in! When's the check gonna be mailed?"

Then a horse is beheaded. Man, there should be a rating category for animal violence.

Yeah, I am not sure why violence against animals seems so much harsher than violence against humans, but that was just horrible, but it showed who Gregor was perfectly - he is just that evil, and has always been, seeing that he was the one that shoved his brother's face in the fire when they were just children. I'm not sure if everyone caught it, but Loras (The Knight of Flowers) purposely chose to ride a mare in heat, which distracted Gregor's male mount, causing him to lose. Not sure why Loras would even use such an underhanded tactic and risk enraging "The Mountain That Rides", maybe he was just trying to impress Renly.

Okay, whining over, this was again a very good episode. And again one I'm going to need to rewatch because, geez, how many more people will they introduce per episode?

There are a TON of characters. I really am not certain that I could keep up with all of the characters/families if I had not read the book. Hopefully, that doesn't turn too many people off of the TV series. :|

The Lannisters, if they're not called Tyrion, can go play in the freeway. They're not the awesome kind of bad Benjamin Linus was, even after her killed Locke. They're arrogant baddies with no stream of humanity. Now I fear that with Tyrion in Cat's hands, they'll launch a plan after Arya. Because Sansa, as bethroted to that blond little worm, would be intouchable. Ned better scram out of there faster than Robert kills a glass of wine, but seeing how he's been distracted from his plan, not sure he's about to behead another Wall deserter soon.

Ahahaha!! :LOL: There would be no story if not for the evil, scheming Lannisters - they are awesome!!! All of them together *are* like Ben Linus - extremely manipulative, selfish, and powerful - you just haven't gotten a chance to know them yet. ;) Except for Prince Joffrey, who is a monster, they are all pretty greyish characters - it will be fun to watch them develop.

Speaking of, I missed having scenes from The Wall and the blondie Khaleesi with her sicko blondie brother. Those are my two favorite story lines because they hold more mystery than the political shenanigans happening at King's Landing. But thank you, King's Landing, for having Littlefinger. He cracks me up.

You will definitely get more of Dany, Visery, and Drogo this season. ;) Littlefinger is so freakin' slimy - he fits in well with the Lannisters. :lol:

gracie lou wrote:Not sure I am liking the portrayal of Cersi, as much. In the books she is such an evil, love to hate her type character, but I almost feel bad for her in the show.

Crap. I haven't read the books but don't feel bad for her one single bit on the show. I shiver at the thought of what kind of sophisticated cruel creep she must be in the books.

Glad to hear it - I thought they were making her a bit too sympathetic, like she only turned evil because of how Robert treated her. Robert is a crappy husband and not a very good king, but Cersei would be evil regardless, imo.

Dreyesbo wrote:He doesn't seem to want power, as least not as much as Cersei, or every other contender for the Throne. But I do think we saw a shade of honor in him, when a Lannister guard took down Ned. He looked upset, and as we saw, actually took down the guard who did it.

I thought it was his ego wanting his own personal victory over Ned, thank you for help but no. He doesn't want power, I think he wants to be recognized and appreciated. Loved. Sorry, ser, wrong tactics.

As much as the Lannisters sort of hate each other, they really don't like other people screwing with one of their own. Jamie was POed that Catelyn had taken Tyrion prisoner - he is very bold and reactionary, and not as cool and calculating as the other Lannisters.

DarthLocke wrote:I also really liked how Bran was reciting the names, slogans, and geographic locations of the kingdoms

That was so nice of the writers to set out that scene. They did the same in the last episode with Sansa and her nanny. It helps the viewer to download and retain all that information.

Bran is such a huggable cute little munchkin. I'll be forever grateful to Tyrion for designing his horseback riding gear.

Speaking of Tyrion, I hope he's not a sleepwalker. :scared:

Yeah, I totally need a spreadsheet and a map to follow the series - every little bit helps. :lol:

edit: found one :lol:
gracie lou
Viewer

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu May 19, 2011 5:20 pm

gracie lou wrote:

Glad to hear it - I thought they were making her a bit too sympathetic, like she only turned evil because of how Robert treated her. Robert is a crappy husband and not a very good king, but Cersei would be evil regardless, imo.
[/quote]

Yeah, thought the same thing...that they were making her out to be a little sympathetic when she is not at all in my opinion. In the first episode, when Bran caught she and Jamie doing it...she kept saying, "He saw us!" which to me was telling Jamie to kill him right now.....which Jamie did...well, he tried...and then tried again...or maybe it was Cersi the second time.

But I thought that the scene in the last episode with Cersi and Robert where they talked about their marriage did a good job of setting it straight that it was NOT Robert that made her the way she is. It was purely a political marriage from the beginning. Cersi did say that there was one point where she thought she may have true feeling for RObert (I think she said it was after their first son died), but that was it. When Robert told her that he NEVER felt anything for her. Then he asked if that made her feel better or worse...to which she replied, "I feel nothing"....True that.

Cersi is evil and power hungry. Jamie is truly in love with her and just as evil. Tyrion is (based purely on the first 5 episodes only) or seems to be a pretty good person deep down but did grow up in the Lannister household and it shows.

Tyrion is definitely my favorite character so far...I also like Ned and Arya. I hope nothing happens to Arya. I love her scenes.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Thu May 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Tyrion is very cool, remember, he gave us the best moment of show
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu May 19, 2011 7:17 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I LOVE that scene! "I'm telling, mother!"

I can't wait to see more scenes with Tyrion and Cersi. If I'm not mistaken, the only time that we've seen Tyrion and his older sister together on screen was at the breakfast table in Winterfell.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby gracie lou on Fri May 20, 2011 1:13 am

Sawyer5665 wrote:
gracie lou wrote:Glad to hear it - I thought they were making her a bit too sympathetic, like she only turned evil because of how Robert treated her. Robert is a crappy husband and not a very good king, but Cersei would be evil regardless, imo.

Yeah, thought the same thing...that they were making her out to be a little sympathetic when she is not at all in my opinion. In the first episode, when Bran caught she and Jamie doing it...she kept saying, "He saw us!" which to me was telling Jamie to kill him right now.....which Jamie did...well, he tried...and then tried again...or maybe it was Cersi the second time.

But I thought that the scene in the last episode with Cersi and Robert where they talked about their marriage did a good job of setting it straight that it was NOT Robert that made her the way she is. It was purely a political marriage from the beginning. Cersi did say that there was one point where she thought she may have true feeling for RObert (I think she said it was after their first son died), but that was it. When Robert told her that he NEVER felt anything for her. Then he asked if that made her feel better or worse...to which she replied, "I feel nothing"....True that.

OK, maybe I am just focusing on the few comments that seem to make her more sympathetic. I agree with what you are saying, now that I rethink it.

Cersi is evil and power hungry. Jamie is truly in love with her and just as evil. Tyrion is (based purely on the first 5 episodes only) or seems to be a pretty good person deep down but did grow up in the Lannister household and it shows.

Tyrion is definitely my favorite character so far...I also like Ned and Arya. I hope nothing happens to Arya. I love her scenes.

Yes, Arya is one of my favs, for sure - it helps that they did a great job casting her. One thing I will say about GoT - don't get too attached to any one character, lol. After all, winter is coming. I'm not talking about anyone specific, but GRRM, isn't scared of killing off characters - maybe that is why he has so many. :lol:
Seriously, though, I love Arya, and she just continues to be an awesome tough kid, and I like her more and more with each episode. :)
gracie lou
Viewer

Next

Return to Game of Thrones Discusson [No Spoilers]