[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.08 Discussion

Spoilerfree Game of Thrones Discussion

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.08 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:26 pm

"The Pointy End"

Written by the book author, George R.R. Martin.

09:00PM

Discuss the latest Game of Thrones episode here

The Lannisters press their advantage over the Starks; Robb (Richard Madden) rallies his father’s northern allies and heads south to war.

Check out STV.com/Game of Thrones for Spoilers and more.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.08 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Thoughts on tonight's episode? What do you expect, or wish, to happen?
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Sawyer5665 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Well, I expect to get some more Tyrion scenes since he was absent last week...Maybe we'll get a Tyrion/Tywin scene?
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:49 pm

I dunno, but I hope Ned somehow survives, and I hope Tyrion plays some bigger role, and some more info about the white walkers would be nice too!

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Cadence on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:40 am

I was very much underwhelmed by the final scene, but the rest of the episode was excellent.

The Awesome:

Loved Khal Drogo being a huge boss. He should definitely rip out more larynxs, pharynxs, and tongues.

What I like about Jon is that, while he`s setup to be a stereotypical hero character, he`s too busy brooding and feeling sorry for himself to be particularly heroic (with good reason to be fair) (minus the battling of White Walkers).

Robb on the other hand was just all around awesome. It was nice to see more of Bran as well. Their brotherly farewell was quite touching. Also, more direwolf attacks means more awkward cutting and editing, but it wasn't as bad as Arya, Sansa, and Joffre'`s encounter with Nymeria in episode 2.

Tyrion showed himself to be his usual ridiculous self and Bronn definitely did have the best line of the night (You've never heard of him).

Varys was also a lot of fun. I greatly enjoyed watching Littlefinger, Pycelle, and Varys all plotting behind the plotting Cersei.

SYRIO FOREL! I hope he made it out of that situation alive. The episode needed more Arya. Since it was called "The Pointy End" I thought we would have a lot more of her than we did.

The Less Awesome:

On that note, less Sansa please. I can't tell if I'm disliking the acting, or the character. I mean, yes, the character is insufferably naive, but still. I guess we'll see as time goes on.

Finally, with all of the plotting and discussion of huge numbers of men, I`m worried that they`re building up excitement that they can`t follow through on... I mean, there`s no way we`re getting a 45 minute long Helm`s Deep. This episode had two separate war camps sitting around plotting. No army in sight, minus a few men and tents. I understand that HBO is going to have some problems with funding this, but still. Less exposition in command tents (Riverrun, which is the seat of House Tully!) and more epic battling please.

Looking back at what I wrote, it seems that I was kind of down on the episode. Don`t get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed it. I think it was the anti-climactic finish that seems to have put me in an overly critical mood. Not as good as episodes 5-7, but better than a couple of the earlier ones!

What did everyone else think? Too much exposition and an ending without much punch spoil an otherwise excellent episode, or was it one of if not THE best yet?
Last edited by Cadence on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Postby Shattered_One on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:55 am

I rather enjoyed this episode from the beginning until the end, which for me wasn't underwhelming but maybe that is due to me not having read the books yet and/or feeling impartial towards Sansa.

Anyway, Syrio! I made the mistake of playing a video game while I was watching the start of the episode and realized I had to pay attention to the show. Syrio wiped up the floor with those guys! Only wish Arya could've gotten a poke into the head dude to possibly save Syrio (anyone know if he's alive in the books?) then the two could've escaped. Her killing the creepy stable boy kind of shocked me but I liked it. Arya is definitely one of my top 3 favorite characters.

Ned, poor Ned. Again haven't read the books, but I've read some things. I love Sean Bean and am sad he didn't have much to do this episode. Another top 3 favorite characters.

Interesting dynamic with Dany pushing the bounds on her command of the Darthrakis? (sorry don't have all the spelling and names down 100% yet) And the fight with Khal and the one guy was awesome ending with a truly gritty and awesome scene! I'm one of those people who can watch Saw (series I love) and still eat perfectly fine, and this scene was no exception, in fact I ate quicker watching the mockery unfold.

Still don't know what to make of Littlefinger, part of me hates him for what he did to Ned, but he is an interesting character. Tyrion, 3rd of the top 3, was great per usual and I'm interested in learning more about this Bronn guy. Jon Snow's part was cool with the direwolf (Ghost?) and the human white walker thing, I really want to know more about those things!

Finally, I can't wait to watch the fall of the Lannisters. I'm sure in the books the Starks aren't completely made out to be as the 'good guys', but damn it, they're my favorite house (now if only Tryion would join up with them I'd wholly hate the Lannisters). Cersei I want to watch die a slow and painful death, a tad too far perhaps? maybe, but alas I do not like her (although that is the point). Same goes for Joffrey, and I wouldn't mind seeing Jamie end up at the wrong end of the oldest Stark boy's sword, or even Ned's.

Great episode, definitely worth watching and I'm excited to read the books to learn more about these characters. This and The Walking Dead are easily the 2 best new shows since Fall 2010 and possibly some of the best tv I've watched.
Shattered_One
Viewer

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Another very solid episode. This show is really setting the bar higher and higher for itself. I'm really, really enjoying it.

It was GREAT to have Tyrion back talking his way out of various sticky situations. I loved his first scene with his father!! It was actually a little bit funny to see him walk into his father's tent with that rag-tag bunch of crazies. :w00t: I wonder what is going to happen because those ''warriors" would only pledge their skills to Tywin IF Tyrion would fight with them....interesting.

It was cool to see Robb stepping up as the man of his house. Theon Greyjoy sure looked happy to see Robb grow a pair. I really hope that Greyjoy is truly the Stark's friend and doesn't hold any resentment that would ultimately rise into treachery. I think Ned would be very proud of his boy.

The scene with Arya and Syrio was all kinds of awesome!! I was very glad that Syrio stayed loyal to his pupil and risked his life for her. They made a point of not showing him die....does that mean that he will survive...at least for now??? I hope so. He whipped their asses with a wooden sword!!!!! :thumbsup: Arya stabbing that creepy boy was a little shocking to be honest, but I'm glad that she got away. What will she do now!?!?

How is Catelyn's sister still producing milk for her weird little boy to suckle? I'm glad that she didn't feed him again. :scared:

What is going on with Ned and Varys? I think I spelled it right. "I trust you know you're a dead man, Lord Stark." What is going to happen with Ned!!!????!!!! I'm nervous for him.

Sansa....She is officially more annoying that Goffrey. In my opinion anyway.

Save the best for last...

Khal Drogo is one of the baddest asses ever put on screen!!!!!! No wonder his braid is so long. Dany is flirting with her newfound power more and more. And why did they make such a big deal out of that little cut that Drogo got during his battle? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: and did he really rip that guy's throat out? That was even cooler than if he would have ripped the guy's heart out....that's been done before. I've never seen anyone do that on tv before. :cool:

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby emmy141 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Sansa and Joffrey deserve each other, they're the most annoying characters on the show in my opinion. But I did like how he almost defended her as she was being accused of treason.

Syrio was awesome in the fight scene, love how he took out all the armoured guys with just a wooden sword. Really hope he survived. And Arya killed someone! It was so sudden. She's becoming such a great character though and I'm excited to see what happens to her now that she's probably on the run.

Dany was so awesome. She's grown so much from the timid young girl who hardly said a word, now she's standing up to Khal who is so terrifying. It was great how she protected the women from the town and asserted herself as someone who can command the Dothraki. And Khal backed her up, it was cute how he smiled when she was being all badass, you can tell he's proud of the strong woman she's turning into. He was so scary looking during that fight though, and ripping out the guys throat was brutal.

As if there's only two episodes left now, I want more!
The Vampire Diaries & Nikita
emmy141
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:26 pm

No, only 2 left :(
Again, a great episode.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby brentoid on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:31 am

yep only 2 left... :(

i dont trust that healing woman...maybe its the frazzled hair...or her shifty eyes...either way...its not gonna end well there...too many lingering shots on her for her to be a good'un...nice kill move by drogo tho...colombian neck-tie medieval style...

ive a wee question for all those who read the books...since this episode was the 1st to be written my mr martin...was there any deviation from the books?...or was it pretty much the same...

charles dance is awesome in the role of chief lannister...if he was my dad id be **** a brick everytime i had to speak to him...

and i hope as well that Syrio survived...and that he stuck the rest of his wooden sword down the lannister guards throat...

and im still betting this season will end with the dragons hatching...

aah the wall !! so the white walkers raise the dead? sweet...gonna be tricky to get rid of them...too cold & no fire will burn...unless it be from a dragon...
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby Cadence on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:03 pm

brentoid wrote:ive a wee question for all those who read the books...since this episode was the 1st to be written my mr martin...was there any deviation from the books?...or was it pretty much the same...

The answer to that question is complicated. It was the episode that I felt most closely wrote the characters like their book counterparts and best kept the plot moving and coherent with so many things happening; however, the changes that D&D had put in motion in earlier episodes had to be felt in this episode.

For example, in episode 7, Ned just straight up confronted Cersei in the throne room. In episode 8, men were sent for his daughters. In the novels, Sansa, in all of her naive stupidity, actually warned Cersei of Ned's plans to send her and Arya away (she wanted to stay with her beloved King Joffrey). Whether this would have changed anything with regards to Ned's imprisonment I couldn't tell you; however, the manner in which the girls were chased inevitably changed a little. As you can see, that's nothing huge. That's kind of how most of the changes have played out.

More examples: Jon had to fight both Wights (what they call the White Walkers' minions) in the book, but limited budgets meant only one reanimated corpse. I imagine the lack of discussion of "Wights" is because of the similarity between the terms "Wight" and "White Walker". In the novel, although White Walker is a term used, they are usually referred to a "The Others". Most people think that the name "The Others" was thrown out because of its connection to Lost. Anyway, Jon also saved the Lord Commander's life (whereas in the show, he just kind of grabbed the Commander's lantern). Also, Ghost is supposed to be mute. Other changes involved things like the number of men in the Lannister/Stark armies has been increased. Etc.

The only notable changes involve Arya and Daenerys.

In the books, when the stable boy tries to grab Arya, she tries very hard to remember all of Syrio's lessons. In the heat of the moment, she forgets all of them save for the very first lesson taught to her by Jon ("Stick them with the point end"). This would be the scene from which the episode got its name, but it played out more as if she stuck him accidentally.

In the books, Khal Drogo doesn't fight one of his own disobedient men. He fights off another entire Khalasar (army lead by another Khal) and goes into battle against said other Khal. Also, Dany doesn't really stop any rapings (although she does take some slaves to spare them the rapine). She sees many of Drogo's men raping plenty of townswomen. I guess the battle didn't happen because of budgetary constraints. No clue why they left the rapings out (especially with so much whore sex happening in other episodes).
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:17 pm

brentoid wrote:yep only 2 left... :(

i dont trust that healing woman...maybe its the frazzled hair...or her shifty eyes...either way...its not gonna end well there...too many lingering shots on her for her to be a good'un...nice kill move by drogo tho...colombian neck-tie medieval style...

and im still betting this season will end with the dragons hatching...

aah the wall !! so the white walkers raise the dead? sweet...gonna be tricky to get rid of them...too cold & no fire will burn...unless it be from a dragon...

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing about the healing woman. That scene was an obvious set up. I'm not completely sure that the woman is going to try to kill Drogo, but something is definitely going to happen with that cut on his chest. The cut did not look that bad to me, especially considering how Dany freaked out about it.

Very interesting thoughts on the white walkers and dragons as well. I hadn't put those two together yet... :thumbup:

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

I also dont trust the slave witch. It does not look good for Khal...I dont want him to die, but I have a bad feeling about this :( I will miss him and all his hotness if he indeed ends up dead because of some hocus pocus.
I'll always remember what the book readers have said when the show started, dont get to attached to any of the characters...well, too late
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby brentoid on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 pm

cheers for answering that cadence :thumbsup:

always like to know more about the process of converting page to screen...i thought that because martin wrote the ep, he might have moved stuff about...basically the main plot is staying the same then?

"stick them with the pointy end"...good advice... :D

dutchie wrote:I also dont trust the slave witch. It does not look good for Khal...I dont want him to die, but I have a bad feeling about this :( I will miss him and all his hotness if he indeed ends up dead because of some hocus pocus.
I'll always remember what the book readers have said when the show started, dont get to attached to any of the characters...well, too late

is khal in the new conan film dutchie?
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Yes, he is the protagonist.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Next

Return to Game of Thrones Discusson [No Spoilers]