[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.08 Discussion

Spoilerfree Game of Thrones Discussion

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.08 Discussion

Postby Cadence on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 pm

brentoid wrote:cheers for answering that cadence :thumbsup:

always like to know more about the process of converting page to screen...i thought that because martin wrote the ep, he might have moved stuff about...basically the main plot is staying the same then?

No problem :). I don't know if you have seen this, but Darq (not to be confused with Dark) wrote a general book --> screen mid-season commentary. We'll be posting more specific character based articles for those of you interested before the season ends. Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/05/game-o ... rison.html
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:26 pm

So, the series is sticking pretty close to the book, right? That contrasts one of my other favorite shows, True Blood. The series loosely follows the books....like broad topics and storylines...but there are many, many differences between the two. For one, the books are told solely from Sookie's point of view. She is in EVERY scene....which is different on screen. What point of view is the book story told? third person?
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Yes, third person, and each chapter focuses on a different character. Which obviously isn't the case in the show, as it is an impartial third person everywhere, even following characters the book didn't.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Cadence on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:So, the series is sticking pretty close to the book, right? That contrasts one of my other favorite shows, True Blood. The series loosely follows the books....like broad topics and storylines...but there are many, many differences between the two. For one, the books are told solely from Sookie's point of view. She is in EVERY scene....which is different on screen. What point of view is the book story told? third person?

The answer to most of the above questions are given in Darq's article, but I'll give you a quick rundown.

First of all, the series is staying ridiculously faithful to the story. Some scenes are almost verbatim from the novel. Little changes exist, but the majority is due to budgetary constraints or lack of time. Some changes have come about because certain elements of later books are being set up more heavily on TV than they were in the first novel.

Where things really begin to change is in the characterizations due to narrative style. The story is told in the 3rd person, but we see inside the heads of 8 different points of view (POVs). These are:

Ned Stark
Catelyn Stark (nee Tully)
Sansa Stark
Arya Stark
Bran Stark
Jon Snow
Tyrion Lannister
Danaerys Targeryen

Since we can no longer hear internal monologues, character motivations and evolution are sometimes lost. Where we gain material is with the non-POV characters. Characters like Robb, Jaime, Robert, Cersei, and Littlefinger aren't points of view in the novel (even though they are important) and so we get to see more of them on screen. There are many "added" scenes that play more like "deleted scenes" from the novels (in the words of D&D). Something like Robert and Cersei interacting alone isn't something we see in the novels, but the scene could have happened were Cersei or Robert POV characters.
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Postby dutchie on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 pm

brentoid wrote:is khal in the new conan film dutchie?

Yes, he is :thumbsup:
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Interesting....thanks for the input, Cadence. :thumbup:

How many books are there? As soon as this first season is over, I am going to read the first book. I don't want the HBO series spoiled, so I'll only read each book after it's correlating season is over.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Cadence on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:Interesting....thanks for the input, Cadence. :thumbup:

How many books are there? As soon as this first season is over, I am going to read the first book. I don't want the HBO series spoiled, so I'll only read each book after it's correlating season is over.

No problem :). I love discussing this stuff. The only concern is, going forward, will we get some sort of butterfly effect in later seasons? An underdeveloped character here, a subtle scene left out there could lead to some important major event not making sense down the line. The producers are very aware of this. Unfortunately, Season 2 looks to be only 10 episodes as well and, seeing as how the second book is 200 pages longer than GoT, I imagine that they will start cutting away more substantial sections of the story.

There are currently 4 books out with a 5th on the way July 2nd. GRRM originally conceived of the series as a trilogy; however, 700 pages into GoT, he was no where near the end he wanted (which wound up being the end of Book 3). As such, he decided to make it a sextet. The first three books came out between 1994 and 2000.

The next problem occurred while writing Book 4. He initially planned to jump ahead six years after Book 3; however, he found that he was relying far too heavily on flashback sequences. As such, he scrapped an entire year's worth of work. This also left him in an awkward position regarding some of the characters' age and planned stories (one important reason for which HBO aged all of the kids up a few years).

He then started writing and found that the length of the novel had gotten out of hand. He decided to split Book 4 into two novels by character/geography. As such, Book 4 is what happens in the Southern part of Westeros and Book 5 will be the Northern portion of the same timeline (although GRRM has promised to resolve many Book 4 cliffhangers in Book 5). This also means that he has a planned seven novels coming out. He released Book 4 in 2005 and promised Book 5 for the next year. This did not happen and has prompted much anger and spite from fans. Anyway, with Book 5 and certain continuity issues finally sorted out, he can begin work on Books 6 and 7 (some of which he has already written) in earnest.

Now, this obviously brings up the question of whether or not GRRM will finish Books 6 and 7 in time for a 6th and 7th season and to that there have been a couple of solutions suggested. The first is that Book 3, which is almost twice as long as GoT, be split into two seasons. That would give him an extra year. After that, Since Book 5 is almost as long as Book 3, Book 4 and 5 would be combined (so as not to leave out a set of characters for a season) and make up 3 seasons. As such, he has 6 years to write Book 6.

Unfortunately, he is also 62 and rather large. Fans are concerned that he won't finish the novels. Even worse, he has standing orders to burn all of his notes and manuscript pages if his books remain unfinished. He's very intense about intellectual property and is completely against even fan fiction.

Anyway, all of that is to say that, you'll be fine for this season and the next if you read the book immediately following the show, but later on, you'll definitely run into some problems.
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Actually, I think you've kind of sold me on reading the books now. :lol: I love to read, and I am currently looking for something new to get into. Over the past 2 years, I have read:

1. The entire Dark Tower series by Stephen King
2. The entire Harry Potter series
3. 6 of the 11 Sookie Stackhouse novels

I'm putting off finishing the Stackhouse books for now because...to be honest....I've kind of lost interest in the book series. True Blood the series is much more entertaining.

So, I think I'm going to go ahead and read Game of Thrones and see how I feel afterward about reading onward.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Cadence on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:Actually, I think you've kind of sold me on reading the books now. :lol: I love to read, and I am currently looking for something new to get into. Over the past 2 years, I have read:

1. The entire Dark Tower series by Stephen King
2. The entire Harry Potter series
3. 6 of the 11 Sookie Stackhouse novels

I'm putting off finishing the Stackhouse books for now because...to be honest....I've kind of lost interest in the book series. True Blood the series is much more entertaining.

So, I think I'm going to go ahead and read Game of Thrones and see how I feel afterward about reading onward.

Yes! Awesome! I'm so glad. It's one of the best series of books I have ever read :D. It makes me happy to have convinced someone to read them.

I tried out the Sookie Stackhouse books and agree, the show is much more exciting. I've also been trying to read the Dark Tower series for a while now. I started with some of King's earlier novels (Carrie, The Shining, Christine) and am now about to start The Stand. It just seems like such a huge commitment XD.

If you're looking for any other good fantasy check out "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. That, along with GoT, is my favourite book.
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Postby Sawyer5665 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 am

I sent you a PM so as not to continue our hijacking of the episode thread. :D

Sorry, guys!!

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Really liked the episode, myself. Not as strong as the past two, but I love the focus on the present instead of the past. And of course, it gave us the badass line "Tell Lord Tywin that winter is coming for him."
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Sawyer5665 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:Really liked the episode, myself. Not as strong as the past two, but I love the focus on the present instead of the past. And of course, it gave us the badass line "Tell Lord Tywin that winter is coming for him."

That was a very bad ass line...I'm really enjoying seeing Robb become the man his father raised him to be.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby sjorsman on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 pm

[/quote]is khal in the new conan film dutchie?[/quote]

Yes!! And next episode is going to be EPIC!!
sjorsman
Show Expert

Postby Cadence on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:01 pm

And (rather late) here is my official review of Episode 8:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/06/game-o ... nd_10.html
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Postby Finli Otego on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 pm

So. I decided to give Game Of Thrones another go, this time with the patience that a show like this requires. I would give it 4 episodes, and if I wasn't drawn in by then I would give up.

Boy am I glad I gave it a second chance. We devoured 8 episodes in 2 sittings (which is why I'm writing this in the ep. 8 thread).

My favorite storyline so far has to be that of Dany and Drogo. It is a relationship that sickened me at first, but it evolved so believably into something unexpected and dangerous, and it's fascinating to watch. It's the story I look forward to the most each time I watch.

I always find it amazing when a wok of fiction in any medium can have so many characters and plot threads moving throughout the story and I never get bored or lose interest. (Yes, even Sansa holds my interest The poor, naive girl is in quite the pickle) This is fantastic storytelling. And the creator has built a world and a mythology that is so densely layered, I just want to keep diving deeper into it. I want to know the history of this world, and these families. The problem with stories like this is that they too often can get caught up in awkward exposition that feels forced for the audience's benefit. The writers of GOT though have found a good balance, giving us what we need to know through the mouths of the characters but still keeping things vague and mysterious enough.

There is also this great, palpable, ever-growing tension that is present in every story in every episode. I find myself biting my nails and wringing my hands together more and more the further we get into the season. That takes skill to keep that going and building so subtly. (While watching this one, my wife used the phrase "The **** is gonna hit the fan soon, isn't it?" I corrected her. "No, that's an understatement. Somewhere there is a gigantic fan, and thousands of people from all walks of life have fistfuls of **** aimed and ready.")

So yeah, I'm fully addicted to GOT now, and I can't wait to finish season 1. And no, I don't plan on reading the books, but the long hiatus may cause me to change my mind.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Game of Thrones Discusson [No Spoilers]