[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Spoilerfree Game of Thrones Discussion

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:21 pm

"Baelor"

09:00PM

Discuss the latest Game of Thrones episode here

Ned makes a fateful decision; Robb takes a prized prisoner; Daenerys finds her reign imperiled.

Check out STV.com/Game of Thrones for Spoilers and more.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm just going to leave this here...

(Click to see it BIG)

Can't wait for these last two episodes. I have been watching The Wire recently, another HBO series, and they did excellent pre-season finales and finales.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:48 am

Holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to need to watch that again before I make my comments! :scared:

Poor, poor, Ned...You will be missed.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Cadence on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:05 am

I'm seeing a lot of debate on other sites about how people took the ending of the episode. There seemed to be three predominant positions:

1. It was a brilliant creative move, awesome! Keep this show coming!
2. I loved the novels. This is one of the reasons why.
3. F@#& this, Sean Bean's out, so am I.

Frankly, I feel that the last position is a little silly at this point given that there's only one more episode of the season (:(!), but I could see it being an issue in the long term.

Anyway, I'd love to know where everyone here stands/how you all feel. I'm definitely for the second position, but I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of non-readers. 1 or 3?

I'll have my recap (which is secretly just a review, since there's way too much ground to cover) posted by Thursday.
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:26 am

Those are indeed the reactions, although I would expand the last one a bit: people don't like the main character dead in the first season. Him being Sean Bean is a factor, though.

I want to know, which of these three opinions do you agree with? (Directed at the non-book readers around here)

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:24 pm

God I am going to miss Ned!!!!!!!!!! I am so saddened :cry: :cry: Good thing I like a few other characters, or It would be hard to go on!

I feel horrible that Ned had to die, but at the same time I know I have to accept the tagline of series, "If you play the game of thrones you either live or die" --which to me says this series isn't for the faint hearted. On another note...because I have not read the books and because I know Martin is still writing more, if the mythology of the white walkers and 'rise of the living dead' would allow for expansion on life extension, then maybe there is way to see him again down the line...

On another note Tyrion scenes were hilarious and sad -I can't believe Jame did that to him. And I am curious about whom that women is!?!?

And I don't know why, but after Robb said, "The war is far from over.", I got a bad feeling that something could happen to him too...especially after the way Ned was killed.

And oh that old blind man on the Wall is a TARGARION (sp?)!!!! :w00t: ---I hope Daenery will be ok...

I think these last few episodes have been great, but I can't believe we have just one left! That went by so fast!!

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Wow, inbreed king is the biggest **** ever.
Maybe Sansa will learn something from this and so does Cersei(inbreed creates damaged goods).
Poor Ned. He should have yelled something about king inbreed before he died.
Im sure Khal will be next :(

I dont read the books but Im not going for any of the options. I think killing characters is not creative at all. The death of a character is the easiest way to end one mans story end create many other stories because of it. Sometimes(well, most of the time) it is done in a cheap way and just shows the lack of creativenes of writers and sometimes its done in a good way. This was done in a good way. in this case it really is part of the story and part of the world and time they live in.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:35 pm

dutchie wrote:I dont read the books but Im not going for any of the options. I think killing characters is not creative at all. The death of a character is the easiest way to end one mans story end create many other stories because of it. Sometimes(well, most of the time) it is done in a cheap way and just shows the lack of creativenes of writers and sometimes its done in a good way. This was done in a good way. in this case it really is part of the story and part of the world and time they live in.

This is exactly how I hope most of the audience feels. I do think it was a good death, and a good plot point (as much as I didn't want it to happen). I've seen persons in Twitter mad at the show, or HBO, and claiming that adaptations can change stuff, so why would they choose to "keep in" Ned's execution? They point to True Blood, and Lafayette, and what not...

No. This kind of adaptation is by the book, and not killing Ned would've cause a ripple effect so big that any other seasons couldn't be based on the books.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:
dutchie wrote:I dont read the books but Im not going for any of the options. I think killing characters is not creative at all. The death of a character is the easiest way to end one mans story end create many other stories because of it. Sometimes(well, most of the time) it is done in a cheap way and just shows the lack of creativenes of writers and sometimes its done in a good way. This was done in a good way. in this case it really is part of the story and part of the world and time they live in.

This is exactly how I hope most of the audience feels. I do think it was a good death, and a good plot point (as much as I didn't want it to happen). I've seen persons in Twitter mad at the show, or HBO, and claiming that adaptations can change stuff, so why would they choose to "keep in" Ned's execution? They point to True Blood, and Lafayette, and what not...

No. This kind of adaptation is by the book, and not killing Ned would've cause a ripple effect so big that any other seasons couldn't be based on the books.

I don't know what to fully expect, but I think in this case Ned's death would enhance the rest of the story for the Stark children, as they have to grapple with what the southerners/Lannisters are capable of. --And Ned's death will probably cause characters to start to really transform over the rest of the series, granted I hope a good chunk of them make it for a while. No. As hard as Ned's death is, the meaning of it is something that I think will thematically resignate through out the rest of series ---A good man fallen to corruption and greed out of fear. So I think it is smart writing.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:25 pm

First off...Who was the guy that stopped Arya and kept her from seeing Ned's execution???

I agree that Ned's death, while terrible, was well done and necessary. Personally, I don't think that Sean Bean would have signed on for more than one season, but that's neither here nor there. Ned's death is a great plot mover for the rest of the series. It's going to have a huge affect on Robb, Catlyn, Arya, and Sansa. I tend to think that Jon Snow will remain on the wall after hearing what the Targarian told him.

King Goffrey is out of control!!!! Even Cersei thought it was a terrible idea to kill Ned..."This is madness!!"

I was watching with a friend, and when the sword came down on Ned she jumped up and said, "WHAT!!!!????"

I can't believe no one's mentioned what happened to Drogo yet, but Ned's death would trump it. I fear for Dany and Ser Jorah because that witch told Dany that no one was to come into the tent once she started singing...or whatever.

And what does that mean for Khal Drogo? The witch said that death would be cleaner...is he going to be possessed? That scene was NUTS...I did a double take when she slit the Khal's horse's throat. :scared: :scared: :scared:

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:I can't believe no one's mentioned what happened to Drogo yet, but Ned's death would trump it. I fear for Dany and Ser Jorah because that witch told Dany that no one was to come into the tent once she started singing...or whatever.

I did mention Khal, I always do, even if its just about his hot body :wub:
Anyhoo, I think the baby is going to die, did you see the way the witch glanced at Dani's belly after she said Dani was not the price to pay.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:First off...Who was the guy that stopped Arya and kept her from seeing Ned's execution???

That was Yoren, a recruiter for the Night's Watch. He traveled south with Tyrion, continued after his capture, and arrived at King's Landing, where he asked Ned (who was Hand of the King then) for recruits.

And the witch...I think this is the first time we *really* see magic in the world, and it ain't pretty.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Cadence on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:43 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:First off...Who was the guy that stopped Arya and kept her from seeing Ned's execution??

Right, that was kind of unclear. The man in the crowd was Yoren, the man of the Night's Watch who came south with Tyrion to beg the King for more men. When Ned passed Yoren in the crowd, he said "Baelor". Baelor the Blessed was a past Targeryen King. He was called "the blessed" because he was both a King and a Septon. The place where Ned had his execution was the "Sept of Baelor" (a church dedicated in his name). The statue on which Arya was standing was a statue of Baelor. So when Ned said "Baelor", Yoren turned to the statue and recognized Arya.

There was a scene in an earlier episode where Yoren came to talk to Ned. Arya was with Ned at the time, but Yoren confused her for a boy (a point on which she quickly corrected him). As such, although the dirty/street urchin version of Arya is fairly unrecognizable to most other characters, Yoren knows that she is no boy. He recognizes her immediately and understands Ned's meaning (namely, protect my daughter).

Edit: Aww, looks like someone else got to the answer first :P. My bad.
Last edited by Cadence on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game of Thrones

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
Cadence
Viewer

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:54 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:
Sawyer5665 wrote:First off...Who was the guy that stopped Arya and kept her from seeing Ned's execution???

That was Yoren, a recruiter for the Night's Watch. He traveled south with Tyrion, continued after his capture, and arrived at King's Landing, where he asked Ned (who was Hand of the King then) for recruits.

And the witch...I think this is the first time we *really* see magic in the world, and it ain't pretty.

That's right! I forgot who he was..I remembered his face, but with so many characters I lost track of him. :lol:

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Also...the sword that Jon Snow received from the Commander.

The Commander is Ser Jorah's father, right? Okay, did he say that the sword was supposed to be passed on to his son or that it was taken back from him after he did whatever it was he did to disgrace himself?

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Next

Return to Game of Thrones Discusson [No Spoilers]