[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Spoilerfree Game of Thrones Discussion

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby AnastasioPhan on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Anyone **** about Ned dieing must not understand that this is a VERY popular book series that was written 15 or so years ago (started back then, still being worked on though). If they didn't kill Ned, anyone that read the books would stop watching the show. This show is true to the books in every aspect. Even some of the dialog is word for word taken from the books.

I am actually only reading as far as the show has gone until this season is over, so I don't know what is to come beyond this episode. That being said, it is VERY obvious that Ned's death will play a pivotal role in the show to come. Jaime Lannister is in Robb's possession right now. I have to assume that with Ned dead, something bad will happen to Jaime which wouldn't have happened had Ned's life been spared. There is also a war that will be kicked into high gear (assumption) because of Ned's death. Had Ned been spared and sent to the wall, this war would be over and the show/book wouldn't progress past what we have already seen.

Ned's death was a necessary move that will push this story into greatness! This was to Game of Thrones as "We have to go back!" was to Lost. The pivotal moment that pushed the story to epic proportions!
User avatar
AnastasioPhan
Extra
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 7:40 pm


Ads are removed for registered users






Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:First off...Who was the guy that stopped Arya and kept her from seeing Ned's execution???

I agree that Ned's death, while terrible, was well done and necessary. Personally, I don't think that Sean Bean would have signed on for more than one season, but that's neither here nor there.


Even though I didn't want it happen I wonder if it would, because I know Sean Bean
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
is co-staring with Ashley Judd in the up and coming mid season ABC CIA series, "Missing"


I also thought it was interesting that witches suggest that their magic to keep Danny's husband alive would not be clean as death --suggesting some manifestation-trans mutation in his persona and possibly actions...with this I had to wonder of the witches,or what they know go hand in hand with the white walkers and the revival of the dead, which we encountered already on the wall and in the pilot, which is once again mysterious because it might be another thing Danny and Jon may have in common. :hmm:
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:52 pm

There really was a lot that happened in this episode that is being overshadowed because of the final scene. I really think that people are more upset over the actor leaving the show than the character being killed off...if that makes sense. Sean Bean is a fantastic actor that really excels in this genre.

Robb Stark is quickly becoming one of my new favorites, and I can't wait to see how he reacts to what happened at King's Landing. I also like Theon Greyjoy as his sidekick. I just hope that he remains loyal to the Starks.
Image
Image
Image
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!


Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
User avatar
Sawyer5665
Show Expert
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 pm

DarthLocke wrote:
Sawyer5665 wrote:First off...Who was the guy that stopped Arya and kept her from seeing Ned's execution???

I agree that Ned's death, while terrible, was well done and necessary. Personally, I don't think that Sean Bean would have signed on for more than one season, but that's neither here nor there.


Even though I didn't want it happen I wonder if it would, because I know Sean Bean
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
is co-staring with Ashley Judd in the up and coming mid season ABC CIA series, "Missing"


I also thought it was interesting that witches suggest that their magic to keep Danny's husband alive would not be clean as death --suggesting some manifestation-trans mutation in his persona and possibly actions...with this I had to wonder of the witches,or what they know go hand in hand with the white walkers and the revival of the dead, which we encountered already on the wall and in the pilot, which is once again mysterious because it might be another thing Danny and Jon may have in common. :hmm:


Great idea about the witches and white walkers!!

I have a question about the white walkers....have we actually seen a white walker yet? Was that creature in the pilot that killed the two Knight's Watch men actually a white walker?
Image
Image
Image
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!


Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
User avatar
Sawyer5665
Show Expert
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:
Sawyer5665 wrote:First off...Who was the guy that stopped Arya and kept her from seeing Ned's execution???

I agree that Ned's death, while terrible, was well done and necessary. Personally, I don't think that Sean Bean would have signed on for more than one season, but that's neither here nor there.


Even though I didn't want it happen I wonder if it would, because I know Sean Bean
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
is co-staring with Ashley Judd in the up and coming mid season ABC CIA series, "Missing"


I also thought it was interesting that witches suggest that their magic to keep Danny's husband alive would not be clean as death --suggesting some manifestation-trans mutation in his persona and possibly actions...with this I had to wonder of the witches,or what they know go hand in hand with the white walkers and the revival of the dead, which we encountered already on the wall and in the pilot, which is once again mysterious because it might be another thing Danny and Jon may have in common. :hmm:


Great idea about the witches and white walkers!!

I have a question about the white walkers....have we actually seen a white walker yet? Was that creature in the pilot that killed the two Knight's Watch men actually a white walker?


I don't know :scared: --I am assuming that white walkers must be people who can wield the dead to rise from beyond the wall---I don't know if they are also these drifters that we know of, like the women who's being kept alive at Wintersfell...however I suppose that white walkers could just be the name of the phenominum--but after this thing with Danny, I have to think that there are people who can make these things start to happen, but who knows how much control they even have after 'a movement' has been set in motion, but I suppose that is another facet of the series--is control verses free will...
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Cadence on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote: I have a question about the white walkers....have we actually seen a white walker yet? Was that creature in the pilot that killed the two Knight's Watch men actually a white walker?


Yes, the creature in the pilot was a White Walker. I don't know if I have touched on this in the forums (I know I have on the main site), but there are two kinds of supernatural beings we have seen from beyond The Wall. The first was the creature we saw in the pilot (the one that decapitated the older man of the Watch). THAT is a White Walker. In the book, they are usually referred to as The Others, but most people assume that LOST's use of the term caused HBO to stick with "White Walkers" (a term used less often in the books).

The other things we have seen are "Wights". Those are being like the undead child in the pilot and the two men of the Watch last episode.

Edit: I have always assume that the "White Walkers" raise people to become "Wights", but you're very right DarthLocke that SOMEONE must have or at least could be setting things in motion.
Last edited by Cadence on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game of Thrones
Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Check out my Blog!
User avatar
Cadence
Viewer
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:05 pm
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Bella on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 pm

I loved the episode. As someone who's read the book and knew what was coming, it was still hard to watch. I think the idiots who are threatening to quit the show in a rage are just that: idiots. Someone on Twitter demanded to know why the writers didn't change things and have Ned live; I asked her if she thought Dumbledore should've survived in the films, even though he dies in the books. PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

My obsession with this show and the books is insane. :scared:
Image
Image

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
User avatar
Bella
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 3896
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: Acton, MA
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Bella wrote:I loved the episode. As someone who's read the book and knew what was coming, it was still hard to watch. I think the idiots who are threatening to quit the show in a rage are just that: idiots. Someone on Twitter demanded to know why the writers didn't change things and have Ned live; I asked her if she thought Dumbledore should've survived in the films, even though he dies in the books. PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

My obsession with this show and the books is insane. :scared:


This. I completely agree. As someone earlier in the thread said....They are sticking to the story from the books, and if they would have changed this and had Ned survive then they would have had to change the entire course of the series from this point on. Sean Bean was GREAT as Eddard Stark, but he was no Tony Soprano...meaning he was NOT the central focus of the show. They put a lot of effort into developing many characters...I never felt like Ned Stark was the main character...He was one of a few main characters.....like Lost killing off Charlie.
Image
Image
Image
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!


Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
User avatar
Sawyer5665
Show Expert
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Couldn't find the scene in Youtube, but I suggest you watch Catelyn and Ned's goodbye in Episode 3. Both actors knew what they were playing, even if their characters didn't, and it shows.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Image


Image
User avatar
Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Bella on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:41 am

Dreyesbo wrote:Couldn't find the scene in Youtube, but I suggest you watch Catelyn and Ned's goodbye in Episode 3. Both actors knew what they were playing, even if their characters didn't, and it shows.


Well, I think that because of their characters' world - where travel from place to place is so lengthy and treacherous, and not everyone comes back alive - that they played it as two people afraid of the possibility that they wouldn't see each other again.

Sawyer5665 wrote:This. I completely agree. As someone earlier in the thread said....They are sticking to the story from the books, and if they would have changed this and had Ned survive then they would have had to change the entire course of the series from this point on. Sean Bean was GREAT as Eddard Stark, but he was no Tony Soprano...meaning he was NOT the central focus of the show. They put a lot of effort into developing many characters...I never felt like Ned Stark was the main character...He was one of a few main characters.....like Lost killing off Charlie.


Yup. I think that Ned was definitely set up as the "heart" of the first book/first season -- but mature viewers/readers understand that GRRM is telling a story and that sacrifices have to be made. Someone on Twitter with whom I argued cited the Sookie Stackhouse books as an example of a case where big changes were made for the companion TV series. But as someone who has read all those books and is a massive fan of True Blood, I tried to tell her that there was a huge difference. GRRM is telling one story over the span of several books -- much like Lord of the Rings did. In series like those, you simply can't make changes to the over-arching story. It's not like with True Blood, where they used the books as a jumping off point. Some people refuse to get that.

:cursing:
Image
Image

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
User avatar
Bella
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 3896
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: Acton, MA
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 am

Yes, and the Sookie Stackhouse books..of which I have read the first 6 novels...is also different in that they are told completely from Sookie's point of view. She is literally in EVERY single scene in the book series. Changes would have to be made to adapt it to television and make it successful. I know that I personally would NOT watch True Blood if it featured that much of Sookie. And like you said, it's one huge story spread out over the course of many books...whereas each of the Sookie Stackhouse books can stand alone as a separate story.
Image
Image
Image
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!


Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
User avatar
Sawyer5665
Show Expert
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:46 pm

I did a bad thing.... :scared:

I went to the wikipedia page for A Game of Thrones the novel...I just wanted a small taste of what was going to happen in the finale...nothing major (I thought)..I didn't want to know what happens with the Starks, etc...I just wanted a little something. So, I read what happens with Dany and the Dothrakis.... :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
Image
Image
Image
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!


Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
User avatar
Sawyer5665
Show Expert
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby dutchie on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Im a big spoiler girl, but when it comes to True Blood or Game of Thrones I never spoil myself.
User avatar
dutchie
Emmy Winner
 
Posts: 3200
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 pm

dutchie wrote:Im a big spoiler girl, but when it comes to True Blood or Game of Thrones I never spoil myself.


I think I've learned my lesson...
Image
Image
Image
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!


Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
User avatar
Sawyer5665
Show Expert
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.09 Discussion

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:13 pm

they done killed my man Neddard :O
User avatar
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member
 
Posts: 4277
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Making the eight
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Game of Thrones Discusson [No Spoilers]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron