[How to] Install and setup ChatZilla

Site information. Help queries. User account assistance.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: [How to] Install and setup ChatZilla

Postby LittleTiger on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks BauerUK!! The TwitterBot is fascinating so a write-up would be excellent!

In BigS example he had +i - does this mean that he is "invisible" when he joins? I was curious, because I see him there ;)

My biggest concern is security and I see that you can set a vhost (or something) and hide your whois. I see others who have fake locations after the username@ when they join so assumed they had done the vhost thing. How and where do you set that in Chatzilla or is it a one time thing? I know there is an faq with the info on vhost, but I wanted it specific to Chatzilla setup.

Sorry if I sound like a newbie....but, well, I am when it comes to IRC :D I have avoided it for years....

LT
LittleTiger
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby BauerUK on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Mode 'i' is a channel mode, which makes the channel invite-only.

To mask your host you need to have registered a nickname with NickServ (see the FAQ or /msg NickServ HELP REGISTER for more information on nick registering).

Once you have registered, you can requrest a VHOST (or virtual host) from HostServ using the command /msg HostServ REQUEST vhost (where vhost can be whatever you choose).

Upon joining Rizon, in order for your virtual host to take effect, you must have set your usermode to +x. To do this, simply add the following command to your 'Rizon' lists (before you join any channels):
Code: Select all
/mode NICKNAME +x

Where NICKNAME is your nickname.

Note: If you ping timeout, or change your nickname before connecting, this will not apply unless you add more than one user mode command.

Upon identification with NickServ (in essence "logging on") you will then have your VHOST applied. So, to summarize, this is the order in which this process takes place:

Firstly:
1. Register a nickname with NickServ
2. Identify with NickServ
3. Request a Virtual Host from HostServ
(steps 1 and 3 need only be completed once)

Each time you connect:
4. Identify with NickServ
5. Upon connection to Rizon, set user mode to +x (hidden)
6. Join channel(s)

I hope this clears anything up for you. If not, please don't hesitate to ask! :)
BauerUK
IRC Operator

Postby LittleTiger on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:37 pm

BauerUK,

Fantastic!!! Thank you very much :)

LT
LittleTiger
Stunt Double

Postby WhiteRabbit on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:18 pm

BauerUK wrote:
To mask your host you need to have registered a nickname with NickServ (see the FAQ or /msg NickServ HELP REGISTER for more information on nick registering).

Once you have registered, you can requrest a VHOST (or virtual host) from HostServ using the command /msg HostServ REQUEST vhost (where vhost can be whatever you choose).

I have a Registeres nickname (at least this is what I think) but have problem with the vhost. How to request a Virtual Host? What can be a vhost? Definetely not anything as I have tried. How to solve this problem?

BauerUK wrote:Upon joining Rizon, in order for your virtual host to take effect, you must have set your usermode to +x. To do this, simply add the following command to your 'Rizon' lists (before you join any channels):
/mode NICKNAME +x

Where NICKNAME is your nickname.

Note: If you ping timeout, or change your nickname before connecting, this will not apply unless you add more than one user mode command.

Upon identification with NickServ (in essence "logging on") you will then have your VHOST applied.

Should those commands be on the Auto-perform lists?

Sorry, that's the first time I have something to do with IRC.

-- Merged Double Post --

I think I have it correctly now, but sill all helping replies are welcome, so I can check if everything has been done properly.
WhiteRabbit
Stunt Double

Postby Sandiwich11 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 pm

A vhost must be at least 2 words long and have one full stop in it,

e.g.
/msg hostserrv request vhost.here

will request your mask to be

vhost.here

This only needs to be done once, it does not need to be added to your start up list.

Ignore the +x bit, it no longer applies on the Rizon network ;)

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Previous

Return to Info Centre