Hello! New man here

Welcome to the forum! Come and introduce yourself!

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Hello! New man here

Postby BoltWalt on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:14 pm

As I mentioned in my first post I lighted upon this site while searching for Torchwood, seeing that it is based in the UK I thought I would give it a go. I did not care for Doctor who in its first incarnation, never caring for the Grand Moff Tarkin Doctor Who, in 2005 I went into hospital for a CABG(heart bypass surgery) and suffered a stroke four days after. When I finally got out of the hospital I chanced upon an episode of Doctor Who on BBC America(or the Scy Fi channel) and I liked it! I used to joke that this was proof of my brain damage. At the time I thought that this was the show from England that had been playing continuously since it inception, not knowing that the original show had been laid to rest years before this reincarnation. I have never watched the new Doctor Who consistantly in its allotted time slot but have watched haphazardly then came Torchwood which I tried to watch on a regular basis, but had not seen all of them until I joined Netflix (a DVD mail service here in the USA) which also offers live streaming of films and shows on the net. Now I am trying to plow through the new Doctor Who series as of last night I have gotten though the Christmas invasion.

One thing that is of interest to me is seeing baseball bats in Films and shows from the UK. I find this interesting because I have always thought that the English always looked down upon baseball as that game that young Girls in England play at school(Rounders it is called). The Rounders bats I have seen in my research are small things indeed and nothing like that an American Louisville Slugger made by Hillerich & Bradsby. I first saw an American baseball bat in the UK film 28 Days Later, and later have seen them in other UK productions such as Doctor Who. Ricky grabs a baseball bat for defense in the episode with the Slithereens. This leads me to ask the UK members here how pervasive baseball bats are in the UK? Are they owned to play baseball or merely as home defense?
BoltWalt
Viewer

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Hello! New man here

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Welcome to the Forums Bolt :)
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby Joshua on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Welcome BoltWalt :D

In response to your question, I personally don't know anybody who (a) plays baseball or (b) owns a baseball bat. :S
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby BoltWalt on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:56 am

Joshua wrote:Welcome BoltWalt :D

In response to your question, I personally don't know anybody who (a) plays baseball or (b) owns a baseball bat. :S

Thanks for the reply. I also wonder what the people of the UK think about these bats showing up in shows and films made in the UK. I am still looking forward to seeing a scene with an American Football being passed around because I know that there are a lot of fans of American Football over there.
BoltWalt
Viewer

Postby Joshua on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:01 am

BoltWalt wrote:
Joshua wrote:Welcome BoltWalt :D

Thanks for the reply. I also wonder what the people of the UK think about these bats showing up in shows and films made in the UK. I am still looking forward to seeing a scene with an American Football being passed around because I know that there are a lot of fans of American Football over there.

I don't make much of it really. Like I saw when Mickey grabbed one in Doctor Who but it didn't seem odd to me particularly.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Return to Welcome Station