The Dark Tower

Spoiler discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

The Dark Tower

Postby Finli Otego on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:04 am

Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, and J.J. Abrams have decided to tackle Stephen King's seven-part magnum opus, The Dark Tower, once LOST is finished. They bought the movie rights from King for 19 dollars. ;)
Damon is reportedly going to write Part 1.
Thoughts?

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby kristy815 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:01 am

That sounds likea 19 on a scale of 1 to 20.
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Very Exciting! I am only on the second book, but think it could be a great work, although, I kind of feel it would work better as a tv series, like on HBO or something since some of the writing is a little gritty and rather adult.

There are just some dialogue between character's that are very profound...I look forward to scenes at the end of book one...on the railroad car and catching up to the MIB just have tarrot cards read! -Awsome! :thumbup:

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby hmbb on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:35 pm

The $19 dollars thing is a joke because of the #19 being symbolic in the books similar to the LOST numbers.
I hope that they stay true to the books though because they are epic. I don't know how they are going to accurately depict the story even in 7 movies. The Dark Tower story is intertwined in almost all of King's stories, I don't know how they are going to tackle that.
hmbb
Show Expert

Postby DestinyFound on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:56 am

Weird :S
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:27 am

:( So, this project has been abandoned...which, to me, is simultaneously a disappointment and a relief. :lol:

Damon says:
"After working six years on 'Lost,' the last thing I want to do is spend the next seven years adapting one of my favorite books of all time. I'm such a massive Stephen King fan that I'm terrified of screwing it up. I'd do anything to see those movies written by someone else. My guess is they will get made because they're so incredible. But not by me."

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Lord Brad III on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:14 pm

If there is one thing I have to see before I die, it is a brilliant adaptation (tv or movie or both) of the Dark Tower. The whole time I'm reading it I'm always thinking "God that would be such an intense moment/scene/person to see on-screen."
...with Michael Giacchino scoring all five thousand hours of it. :D

If it never gets made, I will not die happy.

[btw just finished Wizard and Glass (bk 4) and began Wolves of the Calla (bk 5). I'm still :O ]
"We're good and lost now." Barbossa
"Lost?!" Elizabeth
"For certain, you have to be lost to find the places can't be found; elseways everyone would know where it was." Barbossa [Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End]

---------
'Are you completely doubtless that you are nameless?' He asked.‘Positively certain.’ 'Positively certain.'‘Would it be Mick Barry?’’ 'No.'‘Peter Dundy?’ 'No.' 'Scrutch?’ 'No.'‘Lord Brad?’ ’ 'Not him.' ... ~The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
Lord Brad III
Star Billing

Location: 423 Miles To The East Of Here...At Least I Think It's East...

Postby seth009eg on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm

Finli Otego wrote::( So, this project has been abandoned...which, to me, is simultaneously a disappointment and a relief. :lol:

Damon says:
"After working six years on 'Lost,' the last thing I want to do is spend the next seven years adapting one of my favorite books of all time. I'm such a massive Stephen King fan that I'm terrified of screwing it up. I'd do anything to see those movies written by someone else. My guess is they will get made because they're so incredible. But not by me."

:( I'm kinda disappointed, i was looking forward to that once lost is done, oh, what are we going to do after it ends?
seth009eg
Extra

Postby glorybound on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:11 pm

So, this has been done to death, I'm sure... but for those of you who want to play...

Just for fun, let's say you get your hands on the rights to The Dark Tower. You are the Executive Producer. You get to make all the big decisions and money is no object...

1. Who do you get to write?
2, Who do you get to direct?
3. Is it a film or TV series?
- What is the structure? 7 Movies? Or more? 7 seasons of a TV series?
4. Who do you cast?
- Include as many as you wish. Don't have to stop at the Ka-Tet.
5. Who does the score and/or soundtrack?

The only "rule" I'll pose is that you can't time-travel to get your cast. :PP It has to be current, living actors. Age apporpriate - unless part of your concept is to cast against age appropriateness (in which case please explain why). :thumbup:
glorybound
Emmy Nominee

Postby Finli Otego on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:59 pm

glorybound wrote:So, this has been done to death, I'm sure... but for those of you who want to play...

Just for fun, let's say you get your hands on the rights to The Dark Tower. You are the Executive Producer. You get to make all the big decisions and money is no object...

1. Who do you get to write?
2, Who do you get to direct?
3. Is it a film or TV series?
- What is the structure? 7 Movies? Or more? 7 seasons of a TV series?
4. Who do you cast?
- Include as many as you wish. Don't have to stop at the Ka-Tet.
5. Who does the score and/or soundtrack?

The only "rule" I'll pose is that you can't time-travel to get your cast. :PP It has to be current, living actors. Age apporpriate - unless part of your concept is to cast against age appropriateness (in which case please explain why). :thumbup:

Nice idea, glory! :thumbup:

1. Stephen King and Frank Darabont
2. Frank Darabont
3. HBO 12-Part Miniseries
4. Roland: Viggo Mortenson; Eddie: Leonardo Dicaprio; Ted Brautigan: Anthony Hopkins; that's all I got. :lol:
5. Michael Giacchino, of course.

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby glorybound on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:25 pm

^ Finli, great choice on writers/director. Very cool.

I love the idea of Mortenson as Roland. He's such a hard character to cast, I think. He's almost too iconic. Too fictional. Too perfect, you know. But I think Viggo could rock that part.

Good work! :thumbup:
glorybound
Emmy Nominee

Postby Two Sides on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:25 pm

This.Is.Awesome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very good that they will still be working together after Lost.
HannaK wrote:I've found my Sawyer to Juliet tbh :wub: :D
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby glorybound on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm

I started another thread about this because I completely forgot about this one... sorry... :blush:

But anywho... there is new "news" about the The Dark Tower franchise coming to film and/or TV (it's all very confusing). But here are some stories I've found today regarding the status of the property:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-m ... dark-tower

Stephen King's epic "Dark Tower" series would seem, at first glance, to be a natural source for a major film franchise. For a while, JJ Abrams, Carlton Cuse, and Damon Lindelof were attached to the material, and that was interesting... but even with them onboard, it's such a big and strange and slippery piece of work to turn into film.

But now, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, and Akiva Goldsman are said to be signing on to produce the property together as a film (or films, depending on which source you read) as well as a television series. Ambitious. That's fitting for a piece of work like this. I'm not sure exactly what that means, and I'll bet they're not sure yet either. But at least they're thinking of something big and sprawling.

For "Dark Tower" fans, my question is this: can anyone really pull off the essence of what is "The Dark Tower" on film? For me, the experience of that story came from how it was told, over decades, as well as what was told, and being there to read it from start to finish felt special. It added an urgency to the last few books. I'm not sure someone starting with a finiite stack of books already done and easy to get can ever have the same "Dark Tower" experience as someone who read the thing as it came out, wondering if it would ever actually have an ending. And that's not to say that this team can't find a strong central storyline to tell in what King wrote. They probably can. I'm not sure if I buy that the general public really knows what "The Dark Tower" is, though, and even as a major King fan, I'm not sure his name carries the singular commercial clout it might have in other earlier moments.

Never mind the strange metafiction turns the series takes. Even trying to tell one or two of these books will be a major undertaking, much less the entire series. What Howard and Grazer and Goldsman choose to tell is going to be a big part of whether or not I'm excited by it. Looking at the way they adapted the Dan Brown books, I can guess what they'll do with this. It will likely be a straightforward adaptation, recognizable as the source material but given a slick Hollywood spin. Goldsman has a gift for writing movies that studios will greenlight. That doesn't mean they'll be good movies to watch, necessarily, but they are scripts that a studio reads and signs off on. That's a particular gift in this town, and cannot be over-valued, frankly. He'll turn in something that looks and feels a lot like whichever book they're adapting, but polished in a way that makes sense to a studio.

I'm not down on this overall... I'm just curious to see how they even begin to divide up the story they're trying to tell. And there's no guarantee that they'll figure it out and actually make it to camera with any of this. So for now, color me surprised to see this particular combination of names, and curious to see what comes of it.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/04/30/r ... ark-tower/

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ron-howar ... gregate%29

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65638

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=27741

Just really not sure what to make of this....
glorybound
Emmy Nominee

Postby Emy2009 on Sat May 01, 2010 1:50 am

This is great news!
avi by lieslchen @ LJ
Emy2009
Stunt Double

Postby kristy815 on Sat May 01, 2010 3:57 am

I don't know that I'd ever be satisfied with a movie. . .since in my mind Roland is middle aged Clint Eastwood. Eddie is a young Mel Gibson. Etc. etc. etc.

Seeing anyone else in the roles would break the spell I'm afraid.
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Next

Return to Movies - Spoilers