The Dark Tower

Spoiler discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Brad III on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:32 am

I just heard about Universal dropping the plans for this movie. I am so utterly disappointed! :(

But I'm also realistic about exactly what it would take to do the series justice, as many of you pointed out. A director who would be encompassed with the story enough to work on it for somewhere edging on a decade; a cast that would also make that same commitment; obsession with detail and all the fantastical settings and concepts that King includes in the series; the sets! like you said; and of course a budget enormous enough to allow for the visualization of everything in the books. I mean God the taheen, the wolves of the calla, Mordred, lobstrosities, Blaine, the doorkeeper at The Mansion, the waste lands, the crimson king, on and on... But hell, since they were serious about making the movies/series I thought they might have actually banged out something that approached plausibility. Guess not! I'm gutted.
I'm not sure who I would have really wanted to direct it/write it. Maybe someone with a mind like Christopher Nolan's; he seems to be able to bring fantasy into a realistically stylized story, emotionally and visually. Like many I, for some reason, had automatically associated the image of Roland with that of Viggo Mortensen. It was just a natural connection my mind made; didn't really have to think about it. Javier Bardem never appealed to me personally. And given the mood of the books I think a versatile (make that extremely versatile) composer like Michael Giacchino would add that much more weight to the films. But oh well! I have hope though - someday someone will rise to the challenge and do the series justice on-screen! :thumbup:
"We're good and lost now." Barbossa
"Lost?!" Elizabeth
"For certain, you have to be lost to find the places can't be found; elseways everyone would know where it was." Barbossa [Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End]

---------
'Are you completely doubtless that you are nameless?' He asked.‘Positively certain.’ 'Positively certain.'‘Would it be Mick Barry?’’ 'No.'‘Peter Dundy?’ 'No.' 'Scrutch?’ 'No.'‘Lord Brad?’ ’ 'Not him.' ... ~The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
Lord Brad III
Star Billing

Location: 423 Miles To The East Of Here...At Least I Think It's East...

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:17 am

I am both bummed, but also happy.

Personally I didn't want Universal to have anything to do with it...I think I would prefer almost any other Studio/Network, especially a cable network: HBO, Showtime, AMC --so that way they writing team wouldn't have to dilute too much.

So I am going to kind of hope this is a blessing in disguise and maybe we will get something closer to what we really want! :)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:01 am

Well, as I said earlier, this doesn't surprise me that Universal dropped The Dark Towers. But, as I am almost finished reading the entire series of books with only a couple hundred pages left, I do believe this whole thing can be made into some visual media for the fans to see whether that is the big screen or television cable network.

I don't see these books as being untouchable with the way things have advanced technology wise in special effects and they can be condensed down just as TLOTR and Harry Potter films were. It is just going to take the right people to do this and I guess Universal wasn't that group. I think it will have to be someone who has a special place for these books in their life just as Peter Jackson had for the TLOTR's series. Until then we wait........ :(
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Lord Brad III on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:16 pm

I was also giddily waiting to see Stephen King starring as himself in the movies lol. Everytime I read through it, it's still quite a trip.
"We're good and lost now." Barbossa
"Lost?!" Elizabeth
"For certain, you have to be lost to find the places can't be found; elseways everyone would know where it was." Barbossa [Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End]

---------
'Are you completely doubtless that you are nameless?' He asked.‘Positively certain.’ 'Positively certain.'‘Would it be Mick Barry?’’ 'No.'‘Peter Dundy?’ 'No.' 'Scrutch?’ 'No.'‘Lord Brad?’ ’ 'Not him.' ... ~The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
Lord Brad III
Star Billing

Location: 423 Miles To The East Of Here...At Least I Think It's East...

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:57 am

So, this is supposedly going to be on HBO now? If so, I will say I am now somewhat excited for it. You can hardly go wrong with HBO. :thumbup: If any network could do the series justice, its them.
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Gus TT Showbiz wrote:So, this is supposedly going to be on HBO now? If so, I will say I am now somewhat excited for it. You can hardly go wrong with HBO. :thumbup: If any network could do the series justice, its them.

Yeah I read some things like this too! I do hope it is HBO. I would feel pretty good about if it was. ;)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Previous

Return to Movies - Spoilers