The Dark Tower

Spoiler discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Mark Verheiden to Write Along Side with Akiva Goldsman:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76373

For his credit in BSG alone, I think this is a good thing. :)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 pm

I can't understand why so many people hate Akiva Goldsman? I thought he was doing a great job helping out on Fringe and I've been impressed with what he has written and directed there. :unsure:

I also wonder why Bardem is still holding out on completely accepting the role of Roland? I suppose it could be they are still finalizing his contract and what he will be earning for this. It is a huge commitment, so whoever does this will have to stick with it all the way through to the end, good or bad.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:55 pm

JacobsMom wrote:I can't understand why so many people hate Akiva Goldsman?

He wrote "Batman and Robin". That's not something easily erased :P
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 am

JacobsMom wrote:I can't understand why so many people hate Akiva Goldsman? I thought he was doing a great job helping out on Fringe and I've been impressed with what he has written and directed there. :unsure:

I also wonder why Bardem is still holding out on completely accepting the role of Roland? I suppose it could be they are still finalizing his contract and what he will be earning for this. It is a huge commitment, so whoever does this will have to stick with it all the way through to the end, good or bad.

I agree, everyone is surely entitled to at least one BIG mistake :D . Seriously, I think they will make a compelling writing team. Yeah, about Bardem, so far that is what they are saying, that they are in final contract stages. It's a big burden to bare...but I also hope Dark Tower novel fans will allow the story to be told in the way the writers and Howard want it to...film/TV adaptations sometimes switch a few things around because they think it flows better on screen. I hope they go into it with patience and don't just start ripping it down.

I also kind of hope that other actors that have been in SK movies show up in cameo roles, either as the characters they are in other works, or as just the characters in TDT! I would love to see Nicholson, Barrymore, Hopkins, Sheridan, ect...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:10 am

The best way to describe how I feel about this project, as a super-fan of the series, is Cautious Optimism.
I can see Bardem doing a good job as Roland, though I don't think he will ever be represented on screen in a way that does the written character justice.
Ron Howard has great potential as a director and seems to have a great passion and respect for the material, and that gives me hope.
As far as Goldsman, he has a track record that is uneven, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 pm

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sun May 01, 2011 12:07 am

Congratulations to him! I see they are starting production in September but it won't be released until May of 2013. I wonder why the delayed release?
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Sun May 01, 2011 2:06 am

JacobsMom wrote:

Congratulations to him! I see they are starting production in September but it won't be released until May of 2013. I wonder why the delayed release?

I can't remember what the film is, but I think Ron Howard has something he is directing before this. Other than that I have know idea what the deley would be...unless NBC-Universal-Comcast just felt they had too full of slate for 2012--and maybe depnding on how they want to film everything, if they would do the film and immediatly go onto the TV series--film them at the same time?, then maybe production costs work better if they spread it out?? :unsure:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Thu May 05, 2011 1:45 am

DarthLocke wrote:
JacobsMom wrote:

I can't remember what the film is, but I think Ron Howard has something he is directing before this. Other than that I have know idea what the deley would be...unless NBC-Universal-Comcast just felt they had too full of slate for 2012--and maybe depnding on how they want to film everything, if they would do the film and immediatly go onto the TV series--film them at the same time?, then maybe production costs work better if they spread it out?? :unsure:

I don't think Howard has any other film he's is working on though because his latest one "The Dilemma" just came out in January of this year. Maybe you're right and they are waiting for NBC to get ready to start up the television series but that sure seems like a long time to wait to release the movie. :unsure:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 pm

JacobsMom wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:
JacobsMom wrote:

I don't think Howard has any other film he's is working on though because his latest one "The Dilemma" just came out in January of this year. Maybe you're right and they are waiting for NBC to get ready to start up the television series but that sure seems like a long time to wait to release the movie. :unsure:

You're right! I don't know why we have to wait, but it's kind of annoying the more I think about it :cry:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Sat May 07, 2011 12:13 am

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby JacobsMom on Sat May 07, 2011 12:51 am

Okay, this sounds bad. :( I guess this is what happened to Peter Jackson when he started with TLOTR movies so maybe The Dark Tower bunch can find a new studio to continue on. I could care less if there is a television show to fill in the gaps as long as the movies are done properly.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Sat May 07, 2011 2:52 pm

JacobsMom wrote:

Okay, this sounds bad. :( I guess this is what happened to Peter Jackson when he started with TLOTR movies so maybe The Dark Tower bunch can find a new studio to continue on. I could care less if there is a television show to fill in the gaps as long as the movies are done properly.

You kow I would actually prefer HBO, just because I can imagine that if NBC would be the network to air the TV series, I think they wouls water it down..a lot!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Sun May 08, 2011 6:49 pm

DarthLocke wrote:
JacobsMom wrote:

You kow I would actually prefer HBO, just because I can imagine that if NBC would be the network to air the TV series, I think they wouls water it down..a lot!

I've always felt the same way, DL. HBO series would be the perfect thing for it. I think it could do good there too, with the right promotion.

But honestly, I don't see this project happening. It's so big, like LOTR (but not as accessible) that it scares people away. Hope I'm wrong.

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby JacobsMom on Thu May 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Finli Otego wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:
JacobsMom wrote:

I've always felt the same way, DL. HBO series would be the perfect thing for it. I think it could do good there too, with the right promotion.

But honestly, I don't see this project happening. It's so big, like LOTR (but not as accessible) that it scares people away. Hope I'm wrong.

I know HBO has some great shows on, but this is one cable channel we have never subscribed to. I would hate if they took The Dark Towers there because I think many of King's fans may not get to see the production if that happened. :( I still would love to see it come to the big screen instead since I think this would be much more epic for an amazing story.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Spoilers