Super 8 JJ Abrams!

Spoiler discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Super 8 JJ Abrams!

Postby Devil's Arcade on Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 pm

So, anyone looking forward to this?
Looks pretty cool to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwYpSMsD-Y - official teaster trailer. :)
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Super 8 JJ Abrams!

Postby Dreyesbo on Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Yeah, anything with the name JJ Abrams in it intrigues me :D Plus, it being a collaboration with Steven Spielberg is even better.

Sad thing is, though....we probably won't know anything about it in months :P
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:Sad thing is, though....we probably won't know anything about it in months :P

We won't know anything about after we watch it either :P
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 am

In case anyone is interested there is an easter egg-online game thing going on with it....There was this data processor type thing leading to newspapper articles with a bunch of stuff including an add for these Rocket Pop candy or popsicle type things....

http://www.super8news.com/

http://www.rocketpoppeteers.com/

The only thing I have heard is that it will be filmed more regular and not like Cloverfeild (which in way is too bad because I had hoped it might be partually filmed in super 8, but then agian maybe things will change as time goes on)----and it is not related to Cloverfield in any way.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby lexnox on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:18 am

Aeon & LOST
Let's see how fast you can run?
lexnox
Supporting Actor

Postby Leroi22 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:01 am

I will definitely give it a watch! It would be funny if the monster was a humongous Super 8 hotel. :rofl: But then I would be annoyed. :mad:
Leroi22
Supporting Actor

Postby SLUSHOKING on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:03 am

What if the thing breaking out of the train car is telekenitec. That could explain why the lock is spining at the same time it's pounding the metal to get out. Just a thought
SLUSHOKING
Viewer

Postby Two Sides on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:12 am

This looks awesome! i can't wait to see it. Even though it actually gives NOTHING away from like 99.999% of the film :lol:
HannaK wrote:I've found my Sawyer to Juliet tbh :wub: :D
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby DestinyFound on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:41 am

This is def a non-spoilerish trailer. . . haha i have no clue what it could be, but I love JJ and I guarantee you that I will watch it. It looks pretty intense :)
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:28 pm

So there is some more wierd stuff going on with the Rocket Poppeteers thing: Some members recieved a letter from Captian "COOP" Cooper to a child named, Charlie.... (hmmm anthony cooper became disabled in the FS because of a "Plane" Crash....and well in Lost we always knew Pace wanted to "save" his family)

If this is really meant to relate to the film it seems like the idea has to do with child experiementation in regard to this elegid alien/monster...like they are recruiting children for some [horrable?] purpose...

Everthing about this has like a Dharma add and Fringe Cortexaphan trials written all over it (Olivia is often seen with a number 8 near by BTW). It's almost like corrupt scientologist fighting back (unless the kids have something that adults don't :hmm: )

anyways here's the site agian that is trying to keept track of the viral marketing stuff:
http://www.super8news.com/2010/07/15/mailed-responses-from-the-rocket-poppeteers/comment-page-2/#comment-3565

And I just found a "Super 8" Wikipedia: :thumbup:
http://super8.wikibruce.com/Rocketpoppeteers.com

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:37 pm

What did we get on this from Comic Con...

1. Viral Marketing of "Rocket Poppeteers"!!!!! (Ice Cream Truck, Theme song, mystery T-shirts, An Official Twitter Page, and a theme continuing down the line of cold war slogen for American children: "Join the Race for Outer Space!"

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/38724/san-diego-comic-con-2010-super-8-promotion-comes-guise-rocket-poppeteers

2. Abrams tight-lipped did tell an interesting story about how Speilberg out of the blue had his assistant call Abrams and Reeves to see if they would be interested in preserving and saving Speilberg's very early super 8 movies he made as a kid...Abrams of course said yes wanting to see Speilberg's work, as Abrams shared how he too made super 8 movies as a kid-teenager. The only things Abrams said about the film are: It will NOT be 3-D, they do not have a cast yet, they star filming in September, and that this is suppose to be in the tradition of Speilberg films as Speilberg was/is one of Abrams favorite film makers...

*And just to note: In the teaser trailer there is this yellow truck, ohio summit county plates...many people noticeparallels between this truck and it's railroad crossing scene to a scene in Speilberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

and just to share...my parents own a rather old yellow-tan and brown pick-up truck that we use to use back in our horse showing days, we live in summit county Ohio, and right next to railroad tracks!----------I am kind of scared now.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Movie info: including plot details and filming location:

Production Weekly has learned that J.J. Abrams will start shooting Super 8 in late September on location in Weirton, West Virginia. Produced by Steven Spielberg, the Paramount Pictures film is targeting a summer 2011 release.

While the production is keeping the story under wraps, a few viral sites for the movie have come online this year at ScariestThingIEverSaw.com and RocketPoppeteers.com (which also has a Twitter account).

Meanwhile, reports by The Associated Press have turned up the news that Weirton residents have received letters on the filming, apparently moving forward under the fake title Darlings. The shoot, scheduled to last two to three months, is said to take place primarily on the town's Main Street. The plot, "revolves around a 14-year-old boy and is set in a steel town in 1979."

These details would seem to confirm a three month old report by /Film that suggested open calls for a J.J. Abrams project may be related to Super 8. Followups debunked the rumor, suggesting that the casting was instead for a J.J. Abrams-produced remake of the 1980 film Little Darlings. Now, it's looking like the original report was accurate and that Little Darlings may be a fake production after all.

The casting sides as they originally appeared are as follows:

JOSH: Male 13-14. Josh is cute, but could be on the scrawny side – definitely not the school jock. Loveable, empathetic, smart and interesting. Must have a great sense of humor. Should have a Midwestern feel.

COLLIN: Male 13-14. Slightly, or more than slightly, overweight. Collin is confident, driven, optimistic and a natural leader. Must have a great sense of humor. Should have a Midwestern feel.

NATALIE: Female 13-14. A natural beauty – she is stunning, but not the "cheerleader" type. Strong and confident, but has an underlying sadness. Should have a Midwestern feel.

UPDATE: Is Super 8 shooting under multiple fake titles? Another report by WOWK has turned up a Paramount production with the title Wickham, described as being "about a group of teenagers who spend summers together and share the struggles of growing older." It is also noted that the press release for Wickham lists an anticipated PG-13 rating. Production is slated to begin in late September in Weirton, but is listed as going for less than a month.

Athena Wickham is the name of a longtime Bad Robot Creative Executive.

UPDATE #2: Further casting details (under the title Wickham appear in the Weirton Daily Times where it noted that the call is being put out for "middle school and high school aged people, police, soldier and EMT types as well as townspeople." Full details are supposed to be announced today at the town's Marland Heights 5K Classic.

Well I had a feeling they would film somewhere near where I live...It's nearly 2hrs away! --If only it was a little closer :whistle:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Neville Page Teases SUPER 8 -CREATURE Design:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69032
Last edited by DarthLocke on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 am

Here's an update on both the ARG viral marketing game and filming:

Local newstation WTOV9 has provided a look at some of the Weirton, WV locations being transformed into sets and background for Super 8. Chief among them is the Marland Heights Community Church, which is being converted to a schoolhouse (apparently called Lillians), for the shoot.

Click here: http://www.wtov9.com/news/24848632/detail.html to check out video from WTOV9's Jackie Cain which includes a look at production artwork for the school. Also showcased in the report, a deli that will double as a convenience store, a church doubling for a police station and two local houses that will be recreated in Los Angeles. Cain says that shooting is expected between September 22nd and 24th at these locations.

Meanwhile, the Unfiction ARG Forums have turned up a new viral website at http://www.hooklineandminker.com. The site, uncovered from fake Craiglist postings, is run by Josh Minker, a devoted rare fish enthusiast who some have speculated may be the same Josh whose name appears on the casting calls. Presumably, the rare fish site is run by the adult version of the main character.

Read more: Super 8 Production and Viral Update - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69650#ixzz0yzUSrvlo

Kind of weird to play a game that involved the future of a character...but it is also kind of neat, because maybe the film will shed light on the reason why he becomes who he becomes...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights) and Elle Fanning (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) are the first to be cast!!
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69932

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Next

Return to Movies - Spoilers