The Hobbit!

Spoiler discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: The Hobbit!

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:04 pm

G-Man wrote:I just read The Hobbit over the weekend (first time in ages) and I'm kind of concerned. What I am most interested in finding out is how long each of the two films will be. I think 2 and 1/2 hours each should probably be enough. If Jackson tries to give each one a full-on LOTR treatment (aka 3+hours) I think they'll get too bogged down.

The Hobbit is such a leaner story and far less detailed. In many ways, it felt like Tolkien used it as a warm-up, a testing ground if you will, for his bigger, further-reaching story. One key area of difficulty will be giving all 13 dwarfs their own personalities without slowing things down. While reading the book, most of them were pretty interchangeable. Perhaps this is why the members of the Fellowship of the Ring in LOTR were so diverse.

Any speculation as to where the stories will be split? I can see a nice rising crane shot as they enter Mirkwood for a closing point for Pt. 1. Once they reached the Lonely Mountain, things really sped up (though I fully expect Jackson to expand Smaug's attack and the Battle of the Five Armies).

Peter Jackson I think stated that 'they' are taking in some of the other not finished material/stories of J.J. R. Tolken, and trying to make some of those plots more canan...so it's not just going to be about the plots presented in 'The Hobbit'...

Just wanted to add I have a little proof of this...

There is a character, Radagas, who is in the LOTR in the novels and Unfinished Tales, but did not appear in the LOTR films...This character is also only MENTIONED in The Hobbot novel, but Jackson has cast the character to appear in The Hobbot films....so this to me suggests they are relying a little on some of the Unfinished Tales... material...
Last edited by DarthLocke on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Woongo on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:55 pm

It's quite old now, but it's not posted here yet, so here's the 2nd production video, which is mostly about filming locations. It's pretty spectacular.

Aaand the 3rd production video, which is quite new!
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:58 am

Woongo wrote:It's quite old now, but it's not posted here yet, so here's the 2nd production video, which is mostly about filming locations. It's pretty spectacular.

Aaand the 3rd production video, which is quite new!

Oh, those were absolutely wonderful to watch!! :D Thanks, Woongo for posting those. It brings back so many great memories of seeing TLOTR's again. :cry:

Nice to see that Andy S. is directing on these films too. :thumbsup: Can't wait to see Gollum is action again.

Loved the very last bit with Saruman/Christopher Lee too! :lol:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Evangeline Lilly Talks "The Hobbit"

Asked how she was preparing for the role, Lilly said that "With every film, you have to educate yourself on the material and it's often things you don't know a lot about. Right now I'm studying Elvish and having conversations with people about learning how to be an archer, a swordsperson and how to fight like an elf instead of a gritty convict." [Laughs]

The actress says she has been a fan of the books since she was 13 and that she also was worried about the addition of her character Tauriel to the story.

"I am very concerned to this day that people will watch the film and I'll be the black mark on the film," she said. "I know how adamant the purists are and I'm one of them! That said, upon reading 'The Hobbit' again, as an adult, I can see why additional characters were needed to round out the story as an adaptation – especially female characters! 'The Hobbit' didn't include female characters at all and was a very linear story, a book for children, really. What Peter, Fran (Walsh) and Philippa (Boyens) have done is all in perfect keeping with Tolkien's world, while adding a third dimension to an otherwise very two-dimensional story."

Lilly added that she will be in and out of New Zealand for the course of a year to film her role.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is scheduled for a December 14, 2012 release, to be followed by The Hobbit: There and Back Again on December 13, 2013.

(Photo Credit: Lia Toby/WENN.com)

Read more: Evangeline Lilly on Starring in The Hobbit Films - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienew ... z1YJt2BA2j

I am actually glad for the changes...I personally think Tolkien's other non finished works and/or prequel-esque pieces/novels offer much more than was ever officially created, as I thought I read Jackson was looking towards those for additional stories/inspiration. I also think there is nothing wrong with attempting to make Tolkien's works more accessible to modern audiences by having more characters for the audience to relate to. I think it can be done in a way that doesn't take away from Tolkien's social concerns presented in his works, but more over round them out and add onto them...continue the train of his thoughts...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Official Trailer

Personally, I don't think the trailer makes it look very good, though I may be alone on that. Also not too sure on the actor playing Bilbo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be great, but I just don't like the trailer.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Woongo on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:09 pm

I love everything about the trailer and I am extremely excited today... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I cried when I watched the trailer for the first time...

It can't come soon enough!!!!
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Joshua wrote:Official Trailer

Personally, I don't think the trailer makes it look very good, though I may be alone on that. Also not too sure on the actor playing Bilbo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be great, but I just don't like the trailer.

Woongo wrote:I love everything about the trailer and I am extremely excited today... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I cried when I watched the trailer for the first time...

It can't come soon enough!!!!

I really like all of the footage and dialogue, just not a fan of the song voice over, but I am more excited about 'The Hobbit', then I ever was about LOTR! :P

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Can.Not.Wait.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Peter Jackson Explains Why The Hobbit is Nothing Like Lord of the Rings!
The Hobbit
Speaking to Total Film, director Peter Jackson explains how this film presented very different challenges than when directing the Lord of the Rings trilogy:

"The Hobbit is very much a children's book and The Lord of the Rings is something else; it's not really aimed at children at all. I realized the characters of the dwarves are the difference. Their energy and disdain of anything politically correct brings a new kind of spirit to it. And that's why I thought, OK, this could be fun!"

He also explains the particular challenges of portraying thirteen dwarves as distinct characters:

"That was something I worried about. I imagined 13 guys with long hair and beards and I thought, 'How are we ever going to know which dwarf is which? It's an ensemble from hell really. I thought nine members of the Fellowship was a problem; but here, with Bilbo and Gandalf, we've got 15. It's working out fine though. The dwarves give it a kind of childish, comedic quality that gives us a very different tone from The Lord of the Rings."

However, despite the different tone of the Hobbit films, Jackson says he wants to ensure it all feels like one large story of Middle-Earth:

"I want it to seem like we've gone back on location into Middle-earth; that these two movies feel like they belong at the beginning of the other three. We're the same filmmakers going into the same world."

Jackson also says that the films do retain some aspects of original director Guillermo del Toro's style and DNA, but these have largely been overshadowed by Jackson's own attempts to replicate his approach to The Lord of the Rings ten years ago.

As for how the two parts of The Hobbit divide up the story, Jackson's wife and writing partner Fran Walsh suggests the second movie will be primarily focused with what the article describes as "war, madness and dragon rage." She explains:

"We always saw The Hobbit more in the golden light of a fairytale. It's more playful. But by the time you get to the end, Tolkien is writing himself into that place where he can begin that epic journey of writing LOTR, which took, as he put it, his life's blood. All those heavier, darker themes which are so prevalent in the later trilogy start to come into play. http://www.movies.spoilertv.com/2011/12/hobbit-total-film-2012-february-article.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Previous

Return to Movies - Spoilers