J.J. Abrams Star Trek Into Darkness

Spoiler discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

J.J. Abrams Star Trek Into Darkness

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 am

With the script rumored to be near complete a few details have started to emerge...

Will Not Focus on the Villain According to Damon Lindelof:
You have got to write the movie for yourself and we are obviously aware of what people are saying on the web and we are interested in it, but at the same time Trek is not about villains, it is about the crew and their relationship with each other – that family.

http://trekmovie.com/2010/10/16/damon-lindelof-on-star-trek-sequel-its-not-about-the-villain/

Khan Will NOT Be the villain, But It Has Been Narrowed Down to Five Other Classic Star Trek Characters!
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/No-Khan-For-Star-Trek-2-Different-Original-Series-Villain-Rumored-Instead-21391.html

A lot speculate Gary Mitchell, as I think it makes most sense in that the film is said to add something to story of the characters rather than a good verses evil plot. In the prime universe he was Kirk's best friend and I can see them introducing and using him in a new way...

The Female Vulcan would be kind of interesting too---it would be fresh approach! Here is another article that talks about this new rumor...

Mr. Orci, meeting with the producers J. J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, and his fellow writer Alex Kurtzman, jump-started the discussion with an iPad slide show, showing stills from the first film, snapshots of potential locations and a photo of a suggested actress for one of the roles. On the woman's photo, he had used his iPad to paint on a Vulcan ear.

Full article here: http://www.mania.com/vulcan-female-trek-sequel_article_126015.html

New Promo Poster Emerged, But So Far It Doesn't Seem Official:
http://www.collider.com/2010/11/05/star-trek-sequel-poster-image/

Chris Pine's Unstoppable Co-star, Rosario Dawson, Would Like a Role:
http://www.screenjunkies.com/movies/movie-news/rosario-dawson-wants-to-be-a-klingon-or-anything-in-the-star-trek-sequel/

So Far Abrams Is Not Set to Direct:
http://io9.com/5688067/the-star-trek-2-script-is-almost-done-but-will-jj-abrams-direct-it
Last edited by DarthLocke on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: J.J. Abrams Star Trek Sequel

Postby drackodelmal on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:43 pm

well i nver like ST but im on the wait list of a friend to borrow the first one... so ill give my opinion after seeing it...

how everidk if i would prefer DL and JJ to work on another program... like L O S T 2 hahahahhaha
drackodelmal
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:53 pm

drackodelmal wrote:well i nver like ST but im on the wait list of a friend to borrow the first one... so ill give my opinion after seeing it...

how everidk if i would prefer DL and JJ to work on another program... like L O S T 2 hahahahhaha

I personally never got very much into the classic series, but I always did like Next Generation and Deep Space Nine...I personally think Abram's made Star Trek more likable for people that have been skeptical about it in general.

Anyways I hope you like it, even just a little. ;) (And I wouldn't mind a Lost Sequel or Spinn Off either!)
Last edited by DarthLocke on Tue May 24, 2011 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Star Trek was my favourite film of 2009 .... can't wait for the sequel!! :thumbsup:
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:09 am

PenguinJosh wrote:Star Trek was my favourite film of 2009 .... can't wait for the sequel!! :thumbsup:

Me too! It's one of those movies I love to watch over and over! :thumbsup:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:50 am

Really there are no spoilers, but Chris Pine did talk about the enthusiasm of J.J. Abrams
in a recant interview: http://www.trektoday.com/content/2010/11/pine-producer-jazzed-about-star-trek-xii/

November 30th -New Q and A --The Story is "Broken":

AK: Well, we have broken the story, which is very exciting. I think one of the weird challenges that we’re facing on this one is that in many ways, with the first movie, I don’t think people knew what to expect, so when we were in the writing process, Bob and I really spent our time going to things that we loved about “Trek” and it was a very unfiltered process. It felt intimate and small. There weren’t a lot of voices other than [producer] Damon [Lindelof], J.J. and [executive producer] Bryan Burke. Now, that first movie has come up and did well and everyone wants to know what happens next. We didn’t have that pressure, exactly, on the first one. That said, part of what we have to do is listen to it all, ask a lot of questions about what people’s expectations are — and then let all of that go when we sit down to write. We need to find our way back to the same kind of vibe that we had when we wrote the first one: What do we want to see here? What moved us about “Trek”? Where can we go from where we left off?

RO: One of the big challenges is all of the characters are together now. A prequel is a pain in the butt, but one of the nice little advantages was that you get to meet the characters as you go through the story and they get to meet each other. That’s fun. We don’t that luxury of not having the entire family there together at the start of the story. So now you want the character stories to be good for everybody but also not just be there to be stories but also fit into the plot and be organic. We’re looking at a lot of the old episodes for inspiration, still. Whereas the last movie was all about breaking free from “Star Trek” and its canon, now that we can do whatever we want, we still want it to feel like good ol’ “Star Trek” even though it’s a new story.

GB: Is your approach to this going to follow the lines of something like “The Empire Strikes Back,” where it’s essentially a second act and everything the heroes have built up in the first film is taken away from them and there’s doubt and despair before the resolution of the third film’s final-act story? Or, with that episodic heritage and optimistic spirit of that classic “Trek” archive, do you see these movies as more like self-contained adventures?

AK: It’s a great question.

RO: Yeah, that is an interesting question. I don’t know that we’ve ever thought of it in terms of a trilogy. We thought of the first one as, “How do we tell how this happened the first time and how do we free it so that it can go on forever without stepping on what came before.” So, if you were thinking of this movie as a second act, yeah, you would think of it as an “Empire Strikes Back” sort of story, but I’m not sure we’re thinking of it as a second act. I can’t speak for everybody on that, though.

AK: The movies you’re talking about are movies that we’re still talking about, what, 25 or 30 years later, because they have such emotional impact not just on us as viewers but because they put the characters through the mill in a way that was so primal and visceral. Good sequels do that; they find ways to challenge their characters in ways that they couldn’t have necessarily been challenged with in the first movie because, as Bob said, the first is always, ultimately, an origin story. So now [with the second] it becomes about this family that’s together, so now it becomes about the thing that shakes them up and challenges them.

A Little More Here: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/11/30/star-trek-writers-we-have-broken-the-story-for-sequel/

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Build Your Own Enterprise Contest!!!!!!!
According to a post on Geekosystem the site Star Trek Online has announced the contest that starting December 9th will let you submit your designs for the next Enterprise.

One lucky winner will have their idea made into an actual in-game ship. What’s most intriguing is the implication that this will make their design canonical.

Cryptic’s announcement states that they are working with CBS to offer the contest, which begs the question: is the new design going to be used in a future Star Trek movie?

Winners will receive a gamut of prizes running from an Alienware laptop to a simple copy of Star Trek Online, kind of making the contest of more interest to non-players.

More Here: http://www.inquisitr.com/91804/calling-all-star-trek-fans-your-chance-to-design-the-next-enterprise/

It's Official! J.J. Abrams Will Return to Direct Star Trek Sequel!!!!!!

In a what is a small, but in my opinion crucial piece of news, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, screenwriters of Star Trek and its upcoming sequel said in an interview with HeroComplex (via Filmonic) that J.J. Abrams will be returning to direct the second film. More Here:http://thefilmstage.com/2010/11/30/j-j-abrams-directing-%E2%80%98star-trek-2-new-story-details/

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Awesome! Nice to have confirmation.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:27 am

Dreyesbo wrote:Awesome! Nice to have confirmation.

I am mad! :cursing: The website updated their page and stated,

UPDATE: Hero Complex has now updated their story, claiming their confirmation that Abrams is back as a director was a mistake. As of now, no director has been officially announced. Original story follows.

So I guess we are still in the dark on this. I am still hopeful he will return though. I really think that he did an excellant job with the first one and would like to see that magic one more time!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Script to Arrive in Six Weeks! Shooting, According Simon Pegg, Begins in August.
http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/9211/star-trek-2-script-to-arrive-in-six-weeks-shooting-to-begin-this-year/

Simon Pegg Says, 'Star Trek 2 Has A Script'!!
A short time ago Simon Pegg, who played Scotty in the reboot, tweeted this message: “Word on the bridge is the new script is AMAZEBALLS and I cannot wait!!!!!”
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Simon-Pegg-Says-Star-Trek-2-Has-A-Script-23347.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:29 am

Paramount Gives the Script A Green Light--Without Even Reading a Page of It!

Paramount has, according to Screen Rant, greenlit the Star Trek sequel script without having read a single page of it.

Some are saying this is overtly lazy (“They don’t care about the film, they just know it’ll make money anyway”), I say it’s simply an indication of how graciously confident Paramount are in not only J.J Abrams but scripties Orci and Kurtzman.

But Carmon’,If the first film is anything to go by, Bob and Al’s script for the J.J Abrams sequel is likely going to be very good – regardless of whether a studio accountant at Paramount gets his ‘five cents in’ (and if he did, it’ll likely be something along the lines of “More **** teddy bear looking alien things.That’s what this thing needs. Picture pull-strings on your characters”).

http://www.moviehole.net/201137484-west-hollywood-resnorter-studio-approves-of-star-trek-2-script-without-reading-it

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:37 am

Chris Pine Says "Star Trek2 Is On The Page"...and has a love interest

Update: Trek Movie has gone ahead and debunked the entire story about Chris Pine speaking out on the Star Trek 2 script. Writer Bob Orci has confirmed that it’s not done yet. Apologies for the error.

With all the recent talk about JJ Abram’s upcoming summer movie Super 8, what its trailer reveals, what its viral marketing is hinting at, and what those twenty minutes of footage some people got to see contains, I had kind of forgotten that Abrams made a Star Trek movie that a lot of people really liked: a Star Trek movie that will be demanding at least a couple sequels. But one person who hasn’t forgotten about Star Trek 2 is the first film’s star Chris Pine. His career probably depends on it.

Details about JJ Abrams projects are notoriously kept under the tightest of wraps, so up until now the amount of prep work that was or was not being done for a Trek sequel remained a mystery known by only the selectest few. Lucky for us, Pine spilled some beans to MTV and let them know that he has read a script, “After a thousand questions regarding the Star Trek sequel I can finally say I am holding the draft script in my hand,” Pine continued, “I can also now tell you I have a love interest and it’s all looking very exciting. Sorry, but I can’t give you a date for filming yet, but you guys are going to love it!”

While it’s good to know that pre-production on another Star Trek is under way, Pine is an insane person if he thinks anyone on the Internet is taking his assurances that we will love it. That’s not what we do. What we do is speculate and dissect. So instead of cheering joyously that another Trek film is on the way, it’s time to start debating who exactly this love interest for Captain Kirk is going to be, who is going to play her, and whether the romance is going to be an awful or awesome addition to the new mythos. Kirk banged so much bumper in the original series that if they’re sticking to a character we’re already familiar with, the possibilities are already near endless. Personally, I’m hoping for a retelling of that story where Kirk fell in love with Joan Collins and then she had to die for the sake of humanity. What emotion! http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/chris-pine-star-trek-2-script.php

My actual comment is below the article on the site page!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 am

Lol so much wild speculation and rumours about this film! I just want it now :whistle: And I really hope Abrams is back to direct!
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Joshua wrote:Lol so much wild speculation and rumours about this film! I just want it now :whistle: And I really hope Abrams is back to direct!

Every five minutes the press/actors/writers keep saying something different :lol: . I too would like it if he came back to direct, although I would trust Lindelof to do it also. I will be happy when they start filming. I am really looking forward to it.

Robert Orci at WonderCon--Star Trek 2 Explores Family:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Roberto-Orci-Says-Star-Trek-2-Will-Explore-The-Theme-Of-Family-24017.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue May 24, 2011 1:38 am

Star Trek Sequel Moving Forward With 70 Page Outline!
As J.J. Abrams prepares to unleash his latest directorial effort Super 8 (and a pox on my colleagues who were lucky enough to screen it over the weekend), word swirls that the creature feature about small-town friends tracking an escaped alien hearkens back to Steven Spielberg’s early days, when he cranked out popcorn thrillers like Close Encounters and E.T..

But the guys over at TrekMovie.com have no interest in that. As you can tell by their site’s name, their focus is breaking news regarding the follow-up to Abrams’ fantastically entertaining Star Trek reboot, and today, they posted a doozy of an update. Trek co-writer Robert Orci confirmed in the site’s comments section that Abrams “is still working” with the writers on their script, and “hoped” that he will return to direct the sequel.

“Just been waiting for JJ to be free to really decide if he likes the story and hear his suggestions before we finish the script,” Orci wrote. “Once he says go, we’ll have it in no time. Meanwhile, our outline is detailed enough (70+ pages!) to do some prep :)

It sounds like Abrams is keeping his fingers deep in the Star Trek sequel pot, which is great news for fans of the series and devotees of well-orchestrated summer movie escapism. Chances are Abrams officially will dive into the sequel once his Super 8 commitments are behind him. You don’t make a 70-plus page outline for a project you are ready to hand off to someone else. We won’t know for sure until Abrams confirms it, but it appears he’s going to climb back into the captain’s chair for another Star Trek, which Paramount still, perhaps optimistically, has slated for a June 29, 2012 release.http://www.cinemablend.com/new/There-s- ... 24841.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Next

Return to Movies - Spoilers