Awesome! I so can't wait for this!

Thanks for posting, btw, DL :)
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: J.J. Abrams Star Trek Sequel

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Joshua wrote:Awesome! I so can't wait for this!

Thanks for posting, btw, DL :)

Sure! :D

Benedict Cumberbatch Dies Hair (Hint?) And Vaguely Talks Abrams and Star Trek Sequel:
"I'm getting my hair dyed at the moment, at work," British actor Benedict Cumberbatch tells Zap2it, calling in from the set of "Star Trek 2," the second installment in director J.J. Abrams' big-screen reboot of the science-fiction franchise.

Cumberbatch, who returns to PBS' "Masterpiece Mystery!" on Sunday, May 6, in the second season of "Sherlock," playing the title role in the BBC's 21st century reboot of that venerable franchise, plays the mysterious villain in "Trek," the plot of which has been shrouded in secrecy.

"The movie goes very well," Cumberbatch says. "It's very, very long hours, but it's an incredible job. It's phenomenal. J.J. brings it. It's a very exciting set to be on. He's very imaginative. He's involved in the details, the acting and all the wonderful ideas he has for capturing stories in a fresh and imaginative way.

"Just the range of stuff I get to do in one day, it's great. Also, what he's asking me, it's just wonderful. I can't say much nicer than that. I'm basically raving about it, and I don't have a gun pointed to my head.

"He's a genuinely good human being, as well as being absurdly talented and popular. He's just fantastically talented, just in payoffs and thrills and chills along the way."

Cumberbatch shot "Sherlock" in Wales, but for "Star Trek," he's in Los Angeles, sometimes on a proper movie lot, with all the amenities that go with it -- such as catered lunches.

Asked if he's enjoying it all, Cumberbatch says, "Yeah, you betcha. It's great. I've gone up two suit sizes. The character I'm playing, he's strong, I can say that much. I've changed my physique a bit, so that requires eating like a foie gras goose, well beyond your appetite, And, providing I don't feel too ill, I then work out two hours a day with a phenomenal trainer. It's the L.A. way."

Cumberbatch has also gotten a chance to film in the Budweiser Brewery in the San Fernando Valley, which was used in Abrams' first "Star Trek" movie as the engine room of the Starship Enterprise.

"It's noisy," he says. "it's very, very, very mind-numbingly noisy. It's slightly like what you'd imagine they'd be playing in your earphones if you were being tortured by some foreign operative. It's not particularly pleasant.

"And yet, it's stunning, and it films beautifully. It's incredible. It's a working, functioning factory, and production doesn't shut down for us being there. It's fantastic, really beautiful."

But, he didn't get to bring home a case of cold Bud.

"No, I didn't," says Cumberbatch. "I'd like to. No, I didn't. There was a nice little tap on one of the big, old vats, and I thought, 'I wonder if I should take a taste.'"
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/04/star-trek-2-sherlock-star-benedict-cumberbatch-dyes-hair-loves-jj-abrams.html

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:55 am

Is Leonard Nimoy Returning For the Sequel?
In December Showbiz 411's sources close to production of the film had stated that no original Star Trek cast members would make a cameo in JJ Abrams second Star Trek film. Since then it has just been assumed that was the case. Even the original Sulu, George Takei, reiterated that information to Geek Wire earlier this month.

"Leonard (Nimoy) made a cameo in the first one, and I thought they would include the still-living one of us in the subsequent ones, but I think they made a policy decision they’re going to try to get away from that confusion, and the story track of bringing an old ancient Spock back.

So they don’t have any cameos for any of us in the next one, and from what I understand, should there be another J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie (beyond the one currently being filmed), it will be without any of us." - George Takei

Now it looks like that might not be the case. Leonard Nimoy was part of the CNN coverage this week as the Shuttle Enterprise headed into New York. During the conversation the original Spock gave an interesting response when asked if he'll be included in the sequel to the 2009 hit.

CAROL COSTELLO: Could I just say that I admire you? And in the new Star Trek movie (2009) you had a very prominent role, Leonard Nimoy, and I enjoyed it very much. You're fantastic.

JASON CARROLL: In fact, Carol, we were talking about that ... [to Nimoy] Carol, Carol Costello, the anchor ... remember we were talking about the new Star Trek movie. It was great, you did a great job in it. And we were just about talking about that just before ... will you be in another Star Trek movie?

LEONARD NIMOY: Uhh, we're talking. We're talking.

JASON CARROLL: Talking, Carol. [laughs] Hopefully.
- Transcribed by Airlock Alpha

It would seem logical that Nimoy's Spock would help the Vulcan race recover from their home planet being destroyed, and the new Spock (Zachary Quinto) could possibly have a scene with the Vulcan refugees on their new home-world.

Since he retired again, I thought not, until a couple days ago...For reasons I can't say until a few weeks from now, I think it could more than likely...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Fans Getting Upset Over the Possibility of Cumberbatch Playing Khan (From 109)...
http://io9.com/star-trek/

Well I think that's a little silly, if he is in fact playing Khan, considering we are in different time line with "alternate" versions of characters, and that Khan comes from eugenic experimentation all point to seeing Khan in a NEW way. (Which is what Bad Robot does!)

On another note it makes me suspect that Alice Eve is playing an alternate version of Marla McGivers?!...It would be cool if the character would end up having a more dramatic/direct and long term role this time around.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue May 29, 2012 3:19 pm

Cumberbatch and Abrams Both [Again] Briefly Talk About the Sequel:
The very talented actor who appeared at the BAFTAs gave a few quick words on the red carpet about the much-anticipated sequel to J.J. Abram's Star Trek. He shares his thoughts about working with the cast and crew, but not much else is revealed as he obviously can't say much about his part in the film, as it would of course, spoil the surprise. "[Star Trek was] amazing. One of the best four months of my life," Stated the actor. "It was just solid extraordinary fun from beginning to end. JJ Abrams is a god. And the rest of the cast and what we were asked to do in the film is blindingly brilliant. I adore them all. It was a huge roller-coaster adventure and I can’t wait for the world to see the film. I can’t tell you anything about it, even what part I am playing."

Furthermore, he was asked about the villain he is to be portraying in the latest installment of the Star Trek universe specifically, he kept it strictly secret. "There is all sorts of speculation about all sorts of characters. It would be kind of spoiling it for everyone if I clarified anything. So I am going to leave it with a smile." Well that's pretty much it, as for the film goes, it had recently just wrapped up production, and it is expected to release next year on the 17th of May. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Castle/news/?a=60610

A couple of new stories to do with JJ Abrams' sequel to his Star Trek reboot have broken over the weekend, courtesy of the fine folks over at TrekMovie.

The first has come courtesy of a chat with Michael Dorn at the recent Phoenix Comic-Con. In it, Dorn confirmed that he had received a call from the casting team on the new film about a part in the new movie. "I don’t know what the role was", he said. "They called in November or December of last year and said 'hey, we would like to know if Michael is interested in playing a part of an officer – a soldier.' And we said 'yes'. Then time went by and we finally talked to them at maybe the end of January or February and they said they had changed their mind and that’s as far as it went".

Conceding that it was probably to do with them ultimately not wanting to mix the old cast with the new, Dorn does add that "it is nothing nefarious. Nothing mean. They changed their mind, so I don't worry about it". He did suggest that "it could have been the casting people going 'hey, this would be a good idea, and they shot it up the road to JJ and he said 'no'", but that's speculation on his part.

Either way, Michael Dorn's not appearing in the new film.

But someone who is? That'd be Jason Matthew Smith, who is reprising the role of Cupcake in the new movie. Cupcake is the character who ended up fighting Kirk in the bar early in the 2009 movie, and is a security office on board the Enterprise. It's unclear whether the role will be much bigger in the new movie, but we do know that Cupcake will still be on security detail.

More on the new Star Trek film as we get it.

TrekMovie.A couple of new stories to do with JJ Abrams' sequel to his Star Trek reboot have broken over the weekend, courtesy of the fine folks over at TrekMovie.

The first has come courtesy of a chat with Michael Dorn at the recent Phoenix Comic-Con. In it, Dorn confirmed that he had received a call from the casting team on the new film about a part in the new movie. "I don’t know what the role was", he said. "They called in November or December of last year and said 'hey, we would like to know if Michael is interested in playing a part of an officer – a soldier.' And we said 'yes'. Then time went by and we finally talked to them at maybe the end of January or February and they said they had changed their mind and that’s as far as it went".

Conceding that it was probably to do with them ultimately not wanting to mix the old cast with the new, Dorn does add that "it is nothing nefarious. Nothing mean. They changed their mind, so I don't worry about it". He did suggest that "it could have been the casting people going 'hey, this would be a good idea, and they shot it up the road to JJ and he said 'no'", but that's speculation on his part.

Either way, Michael Dorn's not appearing in the new film.

But someone who is? That'd be Jason Matthew Smith, who is reprising the role of Cupcake in the new movie. Cupcake is the character who ended up fighting Kirk in the bar early in the 2009 movie, and is a security office on board the Enterprise. It's unclear whether the role will be much bigger in the new movie, but we do know that Cupcake will still be on security detail.

More on the new Star Trek film as we get it.

TrekMovie[url].http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-tr ... uel-update[/url]

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:48 pm

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:01 pm

MTV AWARDS - FUN CAMEO w/ J.J. ABRAMS REVEAL IMAGE FROM STAR TREK SEQUEL!
http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/06/04/star-trek-2-spoiler-during-mtv-movie-awards/

I have been looking for information on Star Trek Races or incidents that involve elaborate masks

Using Star Trek Memory Alpha I found the following:

"Masks" is a name (and a novel) of a Next Generation episode:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Masks_(episode)
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Masks

And Then there is a "passing of a mask" in an Enterprise episode, "Civilization" dealing with a mythical being in an after life....

Draylan was a mythical ruler of the afterworld in Akaali mythology.
Garos, a Malurian posing as an Akaali, possessed a mask of Draylan in his shop, which he referred to as "the pride of [his] entire collection." (ENT: "Civilization")

Other than this I can't find or recall any use of a mask in Star Trek cannon, but maybe one of you guys do?! :hmm:
Otherwise it may be something entirely new in the ST universes...

UPDATE: Comingsoon.net Claims "Klingon Armory"!
...there can be seen a frame depicting an armored Klingon warrior. HitFix is now confirming that the image does, indeed, come from the upcoming film and that the Klingon race will play a part in the sequel.

The Whole Article Here:http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=90996

Just thought I would share that there were Klingon scenes and information "cut" from the first film...One deleted scene was to include a cameo of Victor Garber playing a Klingon interrogator! --The prequel comic "NERO" partially tells the story about how Nero was captured by the Klingons and sentenced to the ice asteroid, Rura Penthe, for several years after going through the black hole! The comic also includes a subplot about smuggling drugs to Nero to give him strength and make him more telekinetic and his ship had become "borg" modified, allowing him to kentically control it -You see in Star Trek, Romulans share an ancestry with Vulcans (they are perceived as 'cousin' species) and so for Nero to discover he can have those abilities, actually means Romulans are more like Vulcans than previously Romulans had been left to believe.

Rura Pentha is featured in both Star Trek Enterprise "Judgement" and in the Original Star Trek Move, Star Trek VI "The Undiscovered Country".

The reason I think this may be important is that in the ongoing comic series from IDW set in the alternate timeline, many of the comics hinge on story axles from original Star Trek series episodes, but issues 7 and 8 more directly stray from the original time line's path, as "Vulcan's Vengeance" features a story involving some of Nero's men who escaped the destruction of the Neranda and directly connects back to a character in "Nero", Quocch, a three-faced alien...

The adventures of the new crew of the Enterprise continue in this all new two-part story that takes place soon after the events of the last film! While Vulcans struggle to survive in the wake of their homeworld's destruction at the hands of rogue Romulans, and some Vulcans believe that the logical response can be summed up in one word: revenge!

I believe J.J. Abrams has stated that the fall out of losing Vulcan is something that is going to be a part of the sequel...

Additionally "The Undiscovered Country" also deals with the Klingons, war, conspiracy, good will, and Klingons facing existentialism, and Enterprise Crew accepting change. There is a plot where A Vulcan protege of Spock attempts to create war between the Klingons and the Federation...Originally a well known Vulcan character, Saavik, was originally meant to to be the perpetrator, but Gene Roddenberry refused to have it. It might be interesting if either of these characters are used in some way for Abrams sequel...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Video Game Reveals it's Villains!
“The Gorn are among the most iconic villians in the Star Trek universe and their role in this game certainly lives up to that persona ,” said Brian Miller, Senior Vice President at Paramount Pictures and lead game producer. “Kirk and Spock find themselves in an incredibly challenging amount of mayhem as they confront the Gorn throughout the game.”

More than just lizard-skinned foes, the Gorn are a blood-thirsty race determined to conquer the galaxy. A true military dictatorship, the Gorn are made up of billions of self-sacrificing warriors across thousands of colonies, each focused on the conquest of alien races. By utilizing their chaos-causing infectious venom, the Gorn seed mayhem and destruction as they destroy populations and deplete planets of their resources.

"Great villains give our favorite characters a chance to become heroes in the process of attempting to eliminate a powerful threat, and Star Trek fans have been eagerly anticipating the moment when the antagonists of the game would be revealed," said Carlson Choi, VP of Marketing at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “This is one of those moments and we couldn’t be more excited to give gamers a glimpse at the challenges that lie ahead for Kirk and Spock.”

The Gorn range in size and abilities, infecting their foes with venom that can poison, cause hallucinations, and even kill. From the smaller infantry Gorn Rushers, to the larger Gorn Warriors and the massive Gorn Brutes, the Gorn provides a serious direct threat, while the wall-climbing Gorn females showcase the cunning for which this race is feared. Technologically capable and possessing the antithesis of Federation ideals, the Gorn pose a devastating threat to Starfleet, the Enterprise, and its crew.

With a storyline occurring after the events of J.J. Abram’s 2009 Star Trek reboot, the Star Trek video game puts players in the shoes of seminal heroes Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, inviting them to work together to take on the ferocious Gorn in this epic action adventure. Built from the ground up as the ultimate co-op experience, players are set on a journey of immense proportions across unexplored planets and enemy battleships with the latest 23rd century weapons and gear. Kirk and Spock’s complementary personalities result in the most fully realized and varied co-op experience for this console generation. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=91021

The article also stated that this story is a stand-a-lone story, so I wouldn't expect Gorn to be the center piece of the film...but that doesn't mean the game doesn't have easter eggs...
Last edited by DarthLocke on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 pm

Rewatched the first one the other day, so looking forward to this! Pity its another year away
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:43 am

Damon Lindelof Discusses Character Dynamics, 3D, & A Potential Third Film:
Although the Untitled Star Trek Sequel is still almost a year away and doesn’t even have an official title yet, screenwriter Damon Lindelof is looking toward a possible third movie. Lindelof is quick to say that a trilogy is not a “foregone conclusion,” but he also expects to be involved in a third film if he should be so lucky. In a recent interview, Lindelof also talked about the character dynamics of the Star Trek crew, the logistics of shooting Star Trek 2 in 3D and IMAX and where how he thinks the franchise will move forward before he and director J.J. Abrams step aside to allow someone else’s interpretation. Hit the jump to see what he had to say.

We’ve posted some quotes from TrekMovie’s recent interview with Lindelof below. Check out the highlights here or head on over to their site for the full interview. TrekMovie cleverly asked about the relationship between the characters as it applies to the length of time between the films. Lindelof, not to be out-clevered, responded in kind:

That is a very clever way of asking how much time has elapsed between the movies and that is not something we are commenting on at this point. What we can say is that the big difference with the fundamental crew dynamics as they existed in the first movie and as they roll into this one is the promise at the end of the first movie with James T. Kirk in his yellow shirt is now sitting in the captain’s chair. We have not seen Kirk as the captain of the Enterprise yet. We will see him be the captain in this movie and that changes the dynamic.

Leading off from the character dynamic comment, Lindelof talked about the scope of the sequel and discussed the use of IMAX:

Sometimes I feel that bigger is not necessarily better. You are just saying “Oh my god this movie is just epic in scale and epic in scope and epic, epic, epic.” But at the end of the day I feel that Trek is at its best when it is intimate and human and relatable. And when I say human, that can include aliens too. But all the things that we view as emotional touchstones: love, loss, and courage and all those themes that are the core of Trek. You sometimes when you want to make a movie too big for its own good, it loses some of those essential values. So we didn’t want that to happen. That being said, JJ’s decision to shoot a lot of the movie in IMAX, definitely makes the film seem a lot bigger and definitely the sequences he directed in IMAX I feel have tremendous scale and energy, without sacrificing any of things that I talked about on an emotional level.

Lindelof also addresses the sometimes-divisive issue of 3D:

It did not impact the writing of the script. We wanted to tell the story that we wanted to tell and we have already talked about the idea that all of us were a little bit cynical about doing the movie in 3D and then they set up a test at Bad Robot where they took footage from the first movie – the sequence when the Enterprise drops out of warp and they come upon all the federation vessels destroyed by the Narada and they are doing evasive maneuvers – and we just looked at each other after and said “that was kind of awesome.” We are now – I wouldn’t say converts – but I don’t think this is going to hurt the movie. If people want to see it in 3D, they will get their money’s worth. And in terms of actual production, JJ shot the movie exactly the way he wanted to shoot it. And when you are doing this process, as opposed to a standard conversion, after every single set up – not just every scene but every angle – we had to do a 3D pass where you clear the set of the actors and the camera has to do the same moves so the guys doing the conversion can map accordingly and that will provide a much better 3D experience for the audience.

But again, our job was to just make an awesome movie and to care about the characters and again do service to this amazing baton that has been passed to us and that we take incredibly seriously and treat with a great deal of reverence. So the 3D decision was more along the lines of like “are we going to screw up Trek by doing this movie in 3D or is Trek ready for 3D?” Hopefully it is the latter. Based on the dailies that I have seen, I think J.J. pulled it off.

Check out what Lindelof had to say about working on Star Trek 3:

It would be very hard to not be involved in Trek moving forward. We certainly don’t feel that a third movie is a foregone conclusion. Hopefully the second movie turns out well and we are really happy about everything so far. So three movies, again not to do everything that Christopher Nolan does, but if you do it right it’s a good model. But that idea, whether you want to call it a trilogy or not, although I reserve the right to when we are talking four years from now to say “this is the third movie in our trilogy,” but it does feel that three movies is the right responsibility for us to have the baton for before we then pass it off to the people who are take Trek to wherever they want to take it. So if this movie turns out well, would I be writing on the third movie? Who knows? But, we did talk a lot in the writing of this movie and during production about what the next movie might be and started getting excited about some of the ideas, so it would be hard to say no to that. This is a once in a lifetime experience…I’m not going to be the one who breaks up the Beatles.
http://collider.com/star-trek-3-sequel-damon-lindelof/171816/

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Fan Made Trailer (but it was good!)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Chris Pine Interview!
This weekend, Collider got to participate in the press junket for People Like Us, a family dramedy inspired by true events from the life of writer/director Alex Kurtzman. The story follows Sam (Chris Pine), a twenty-something guy who learns that his father has suddenly died, leaving behind a secret 30-year-old daughter (Elizabeth Banks) that Sam never knew about, and he is forced to re-examine his own life and re-think everything he thought he knew about his family.

While we will post a number of interviews about the feature film closer to its June 29th release, we did want to share what actor Chris Pine had to say during roundtables about his work in the Star Trek sequel. He talked about the pressure that they feel now that the first film was such a success, how they all tried to do a really good job with the film, marrying a small character-driven drama with big action, and what it was like to work with the big, loud IMAX cameras for some of the scenes. Check out what he had to say after the jump.

Question: How is the new Star Trek film?

CHRIS PINE: Oh, it’s good! What am I going to tell you? Those big films are scary things. There’s so much money behind those things. There’s that hype. You enter a machine. I’m just happy that the people behind it were such good, welcoming types. J.J. [Abrams] runs that ship. J.J. is a wonderful guy. What they bring to this kind of film is a small character-driven story, matched with robots or aliens or spaceships. That’s a very hard thing to do, and a lot of people don’t pay attention to that. It’s really interesting that, in The Avengers, the character that people relate to is The Hulk, and I think the reason why they relate to The Hulk is because he’s fragile and human and faulty.

Do you feel pressure for the sequel with Star Trek because it is so highly anticipated now?

PINE: Generally speaking, the more money that’s involved in anything, the more people are expecting and hoping that it’s not going to fail. If you’re a part of that process of whether it’s going to fail or succeed, you’re only human and you hope that it does well. But, there’s only so much, as an actor, that you can do. People are either going to respond to it or not, and I would drive myself crazy if I tried to control it anymore than that, other than a really fervent desire that people come and watch it and like it. We at least tried to do a really good job. Critics think we try to make bad films. They think we want to spend five months of our lives making something bad. We always go out with the best of intentions, whether it’s fluffy comedy or a drama. It’s always in the effort of, “Please come, like it, enjoy it, take something away!”

You shot some scenes in IMAX for the film?

PINE: Yeah.

What was that like, to work with those cameras?

PINE: They are big cameras. They are big, loud cameras! And the things take forever to reload. It’s literally 20 minutes to reload a camera. I think the first thing that I saw on IMAX was The Avengers. The scope and the size of it are pretty neat, I will say that. I think J.J. did a good job of knowing which scenes to marry with the IMAX and which scenes would really pop, like they did with Mission Impossible. When Tom [Cruise] is on that huge building, it made all the sense in the world to do it in IMAX.

With J.J. and company – Alex, Bob and Damon included – what they’re really, really good at and what sets them apart is that they know how to do the action, and they know that if you don’t give them the small character-driven drama, you can blow up anything you want and no one cares. People will leave the theater because we’ve all seen it, a million ways. With the second one, people will find that it’s the mythic structure, done really well. The character journeys are just perfect mythic structures. They do it so well. The journeys with the characters will be really great, and the explosions and set pieces are going to knock people out of their seats.
http://collider.com/chris-pine-star-trek-2-sequel-imax/173659/

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:55 am

What About Gary Mitchell? Coming Soon Analyses Cumberbatch's Rumored Role:
Continuing a mystery that has been fueled by fan speculation ever since the first film hit theaters, SFX is now offering an update about the villain in Star Trek 2. What appears to be a confirmation, however, could just as well be misdirection on the part of J.J. Abrams' notoriously secretive production team. Read on to find out why.

At an international press junket for his upcoming Dredd 3D, Karl Urban is said to have let slip that Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell. A name well-known to Trek fans, Mitchell appeared in the second "Star Trek" pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and was an Academy friend of James T. Kirk (or James R. Kirk, thanks to a canonical goof in that very episode).

Serving on the Enterprise, Mitchell and another crew member, Elizabeth Dehner, are exposed to a powerful energy while attempting to cross the Milky Way's galactic barrier. Following the ordeal, Mitchell and Dehner begin to exhibit superhuman powers which grow exponentially until Kirk decides that, for the safety of his ship, he must maroon both crew members on the uninhabited Delta Vega (a planet that, itself, made an appearance in Abrams' first Star Trek film.

Though solid details are few all around on Star Trek 2, set photos earlier this year revealed the look of Cumberbatch's character, wearing what appears to be a form of Starfleet uniform.

While a lot certainly seems to line up with Cumberbatch playing Mitchell, readers of IDW's ongoing "Star Trek" comic book series are no doubt going to be a bit more dubious. That's because the first two issues of that series already adapted "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and effectively killed off Mitchell from the new timeline. It is of interest to note, however, that the comic book take on the episode specifically removes Dehner from the storyline, indicating that an appearance by her character is a bit more likely.

There's always going to be debate of how canonical any tie-in is to what we'll see on the big screen, but Abrams has been extremely protective of "Star Trek" as a property since taking over and, unlike in the past, we've seen very few takes on the new timeline in non-film media. What's more, Roberto Orci is the creative director of the IDW series and has not only mentioned via his Twitter feed that the books have already offered several clues about the new film but, in a recent radio interview with Ask Mr. K.E.R.N., specifically listed Mitchell as one several characters that would definitely not be appearing (The others were Charlie X, Ruk, Yeoman Janice Rand and The Borg).

Late last year, persistent rumors suggested that the film's villain would be Khan Noonien Singh (famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalban on the original series and in the feature film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan). Those reports were recently denied by actor Simon Pegg.

Assuming Urban's statement is not an intentional red herring, one possibility -- albeit a rather speculative one -- is that there was some miscommunication about the name "Gary Mitchell" when the actual character is "Gary Seven." Played by Robert Lansing in the episode "Assignment: Earth" (originally intended as a pilot for a "Star Trek" spinoff), Seven is a man of mystery who, working for an intergalactic organization, attempted to prevent nuclear war on Earth in the year 1968. In a pre-Abrams series of "Star Trek" novels, Seven's mission directly connects him with Khan during Earth's Eugenics Wars and could, potentially, be the source of the original Khan sequel rumors.

Pushing speculation even further, cast member Peter Weller bears a decided resemblance to Lansing and it's possible that he and Cumberbatch play Seven from two different time periods (or timelines), much like Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy did in the original film.

Though hardly proof, the original reports from the set photos claim that Spock's attempt to use his Vulcan nerve pinch on Cumberbatch's character are ineffective, something that was also true of Seven in "Assignment: Earth".

What are your thoughts on the matter? Share them in comments below! Whatever the case may be, Star Trek 2 also stars Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Anton Yelchin and Alice Eve and hits theaters on May 17, 2013
[url].http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92327[/url]

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:46 am

Karl Urban Gives Update at Comic-Con (Says Images and Footage On the Way!)
“It was four years since we made the last Star Trek. I remember coming to work the first day and I thought I had been transported in a time warp and Obama was about to be elected again. I walked on set and there was the same cast, same crew, same extras. It was so trippy, so weird, but so wonderful to start that again. It was surreal,” Urban said.

The second time out found the cast and crew much more comfortable with what they were tackling than the first time around.

“Everyone was a lot more relaxed with each other and when you develop a short hand with colleagues that you have been through the wars with, that’s how it felt. It was really interesting to see the evolution in everybody’s process.”

Recently, Urban got in a little trouble revealing that Gary Mitchell was the Star Trek 2 villain. When it comes to any further information, the actor is rightfully coy. “I’m not at liberty to discuss that,” Urban said.

When pressed to discover how much trouble he was in for letting something slip from the super-secret set, he gave us a glimpse. “There might have been a call or two.”

He then teased that the first video images from the highly anticipated sequel will be available for fans any moment now. “There will be some footage from the new Star Trek,” Urban added.

Hope he doesn’t get in trouble for revealing that.

Read more <a href="http://www.moviefanatic.com">movie news</a> at: http://www.moviefanatic.com/2012/07/star-trek-2-karl-urban-updates-on-sequel/#ixzz20q9ol98b

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Official Title Now Confirmed:
"Star Trek Into Darkness"
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/09/10/star-trek-into-the-darkness-sequel-title/

I keep thinking about the idea that the primary time line had an along side mirror universe in which many "prime" characters had alternates with some rather polar opposite personality traits...Abrams' alternate time line seemed to home in on Spock his choice to become more like the "prime" Spock or like the "mirror" Spock....In Fringe (episode title) and on Star Trek features, J.J. Abrams has explained Fate = "Reciprocity" --->universes trying to balance itself out when variables are 'displaced'/rearranged in time....I have to wonder now with this title, if I am not so far off the mark here in thinking about the mirror universe???????????? :hmm:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Spoilers