J.J. Abrams Star Trek Into Darkness

Spoiler discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: J.J. Abrams Star Trek Into Darkness

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:35 pm

International Footage Reveals Peter Weller's character and other Spoilers!

While Benedict Cumberbatch's character's motivations remain a mystery, the biggest reveal included in the new footage seems to be the identity of Peter Weller's character. The site reports that Weller will be playing "Admiral Marcus" who, one assumes, is the father of Alice Eve's Carol Marcus. In fact, an "Alex Marcus" was recently teased in the pages of the "Countdown to Darkness" comic book prequel. If both Marcuses are indeed one and the same, that means that Weller's character was the former first officer on a different U.S.S. Enterprise, serving under Captain Robert April.

The other major plot detail revealed is that, towards the beginning of the film, Chris Pine's Kirk will be demoted for violating the Prime Directive on Nibiru and accidentally revealing the Enterprise to the natives. Bruce Greenwood's Captain Christopher Pike will be put in charge of the Enterprise with Kirk serving as first officer and Zachary Quinto's Spock getting transferred to another vessel.
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=101271#P85Ad0O0WAcKUtBF.99

Note: Seeing what happens on Nibiru pre-film is what Countdown to Darkness has been about so far, as there are these species that have been split into two camps and with one seemingly more advanced, as they engage in a civil war with one side being led by Robert April, who had his first officer lie about his existence, as he continued to secretly contribute to the war effort on this planet (Very William Bell-like Fringe fans!). Robert April also has holographic technology in the caves of Nibiru...On the last page of issue #2, Spock takes off on his own. (I'm anxiously awaiting issue #3 :w00t: )

One last thing from the comics so far that might be important to the film: Spock has not been sleeping well due to reoccurring dreams that feature alternate events when concerning his mother. In his dreams, he envisions that he saved her. At first she is grateful and says, "You saved us! You saved Vulcan" and she warmly embraces him and Spock feels a surge of emotion. Suddenly a glass pain of a window cracks. She pulls away and becomes exceptionally demonstrative and says, "Spock, why did you bring us on board?! You've DOOMED us! You've DOOMED us all!!" She then kinetically forces him against the glass it fully breaks and he falls out to space while yelling, "Mother, no!" and then the Enterprise breaks apart!! Reading into this dream and given Lindolf hinted at "exploring death" as part of the story, it seems Spock's darkness or weakness might relate to the temptation of being able to get his mother back (or lack there of, but John Harrison seems to come with adavnce genetic modification abilities, because of the promise he makes with the characters at the hospital in the first part of the American teaser scenes)...I almost suspect dopplegangers) and that Spock is the thing that is going to be used against Kirk and threatens all of their futures...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 am

New Trailer Debuts!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Bryan Burke Talks Third Star Trek Film 2016 Release (But Will J.J. Abrams Direct?)
Star Trek 3 could hit cinemas as early as 2016, to mark the 50th anniversary of the original Gene Roddenberry series. JJ Abrams' sci-fi sequel Star Trek Into Darkness is among the most highly anticipated film of the year, though it appears attention is already turning to the third in the franchise (despite Abrams intentions to direct Star Wars Episode 7 for Disney).
The filmmaker's Star Trek producing partner Bryan Burk told Digital Spy about what fans can expect from the third film. "We're definitely talking about the next one, but we haven't talked about a release date. We don't want to wait four years, the same amount of time between the last one and this one, but [2016] is going to be a big year to celebrate, hopefully."
The anniversary year of 2016 certainly makes sense for a Star Trek 3 release, though with Star Wars planned for late 2015, it's sounds highly likely that Abrams will be in no position to direct the third film. Production would probably start in early 2015 at the latest, by which time Abrams will be deep into Star Wars for Disney. Recent reports suggest he will be directing original stars Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill, which has divided opinion in the Star War fan world.
http://www.contactmusic.com/news/star-t ... ct_3548966

I think there is a way for Mr. Abrams to this back to back. I could see him film Star Wars in the new year (January 2014) and turn around the beginning of the next year (2015) and shoot Star Trek. At least with Star Wars he has Lucas Film/Disney to help him in editing and post production...

If there isn't time for both, then I hope he/Paramount chooses Brad Bird to take on the next Star Trek. It worked out pretty well with Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol IMO. I'll be alright with it as long as Bad Robot writers continue to scribe it.

What do you guys think??

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:01 pm

International Trailer!

HIDDEN LINKS IN TRAILER(S)!

EASTER EGG IN THE TRAILER!!

From WIRED.CO.UK: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-03/21/hidden-star-trek-poster

"Within each of the trailer's international versions, Bad Robot has hidden a URL. Should you wish to seek out the URL in the above version, stop reading now and go look -- though we warn you, the offending address appears for less than half a second with the two minute and 18 second runtime, and unless you've got a super sharp HD display, chances are it'll be too blurred to read. But still, happy hunting.

For those of you without the luxury of a few spare hours to find the URL, pause the trailer at 1:36. Rather tellingly, Bad Robot and Paramount have chosen this scene (depicting Alice Eve wearing very little) to hide a URL that will take you to the new UK and Australian poster for the film. We can only imagine that the schemers predicted many browsers might hit pause around this specific moment, and thus a few less distracted viewers might notice the Bitly link http://www.startrekmovie.com.au/wvn8scv4kdn2glno/ hiding in the background.

The other versions of the trailer hide their URLs in far less provocative scenes, each leading to their own versions of the same poster."

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Some Early Reviews Are In!!

From MTV:
"Star Trek Into Darkness" may not hit U.S. theaters until May 17, but the potential blockbuster's massive international press tour means that journalists in countries like Australia get an early look at the J.J. Abrams-directed sequel. A few outlets down-under posted reviews and since this is the internet, those reactions have spread wide. Fans are getting an early taste of what to expect.

The early reviews of "Star Trek Into Darkness" range from lukewarm to positive with comparisons to what worked in Abrams' 2009 reboot. "It's a riveting action-adventure in space, complete with interpersonal relationships. The bro-mance between Kirk and Spock is in full force here. Grown men cry. And yes, it looks like a J.J. Abrams film," writes David Farrier from 3 News. "There's the lens flare, and the camera tracking a crashing spaceship might as well be a bigger version of the plane from the 'Lost' pilot. Smoke billows and it all feels very real, like you could reach out and touch it."

One aspect of the film that has everyone in agreement is the effectiveness of Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of the villainous John Harrison. "Cumberbatch himself has never been better. While he's proven his ability at volatile emotional-detachment with his role in 'Sherlock,' he is, here, a true snake; an expressionless, sliver of a man whose mask only slips when he lunges for his prey," IGN's Lucy O'Brien writes in her review. "The Enterprise crew look trivial against him, their uniforms retro and goofy against his men's magazine sleekness. Even Spock, quite the regal figure, looks small next to him."

Others said some references were too inside during the movie's big moments. "There are some brief moments where this non-Trekkie film critic felt like I missed essential references that were transforming some of the more mediocre scenes into significant signposts for fans," Blake Howard wrote.

The main take away from the reviews, however, was that this is a fun ride that travels at the speed of light. "While it may not be the most sophisticated of sci-fi spectacles you'll see this year, 'Into Darkness' will certainly be one of the most fun," O'Brien writes.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1706248/star-trek-into-darkness-early-reviews.jhtml

News Channel Review:

What this film has over 2009’s Star Trek is Benedict Cumberbatch. Now, Cumberbatch fans are similar to fans of Sam or Dean from TV’s Supernatural; they obsess over him. Many write fan fiction. In this case, it’s fair enough because Cumberbatch is awesome. He’s a bad guy. I’m not going to say what bad guy, neither confirming nor denying the K-theory – and he’s an excellent villain. He out-bads Eric Bana. He’s handsome, strong, threatening and utterly convincing as a hugely smart adversary to Kirk and his team. He steals the show, possessing a voice eerily similar to that of Patrick Stewart.
As for the Enterprise, the crew from 2009 (well, 2233) is back, including Scotty’s wee, oyster-faced alien friend. I loved that little man, and am so pleased he/it has returned. There’s another member that joins the Star Trek team, played by Alice Eve. She’s the blonde, blue-eyed equivalent of Chris Pine, but somehow less interesting. Meanwhile, Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Uhura (Zoe Saldana) are still in love, Chekov (Anton Yelchin) is still stressed, Sulu (John Cho) is still looking earnest, and Scotty (Simon Pegg) is still affecting a very heavy accent with more “I cannae [sic] do that” than you can shake a warp core at.
Plot-wise, I don’t want give much away, apart from the fact that Cumberbatch’s character is ex-Starfleet and seems intent on waging war on his old mates. Chris Pine and co set out to stop him. It may seem obvious, but it’s important to note Into Darkness is a dark film.

Acts of terrorism take place from early in the picture, and seeing buildings tumble on a huge scale is always going to be unpleasant into today’s environment. In the world of the film – some key scenes taking place right here on Earth – it makes the stakes high and the ride more engaging. Star Trek’s ultimate premise has always been an uplifting, positive one – humankind of all shapes, sizes and colour banding together to explore and bring peace. Here that mission is more crucial than ever.
The fact large actions scenes involving Star Fleet toys take place on planet Earth (San Francisco and London) is also important in that it gives a tremendous sense of scale. Sure, we saw the USS Enterprise being built on Earth in the last film, but seeing it rising up meters away from people staring in awe makes the audience feel awe too. Star Trek was always about big concepts. Here, the mechanics feel big, too. Don’t get me wrong, the stuff in space is awesome too. There’s a thrilling chase while ships are going at warp speed that’s incredibly well executed, and made the rather alien concept of warp speed seem almost believable. But seeing the ships in the context of tiny humanity is really something this film amps up to 100.
And you know what? As dark as it is, it’s fun. You could liken JJ’s Trek films to the Iron Man films, although again, this is darker territory here – a perfect blend of action, humanity and humour. At one moment, I became annoyed by Bones’ puns – one rolling in after another. The moment I had that thought, Kirk interrupts, telling Bones he’ll boot him off the ship if he continues.
And like Bones, you don’t want to be booted off this ride. This is a lovely sci-fi action film. Chances are, it won’t hit you as hard as the 2009 film, but it further develops the characters you know and it feels a little as though you’re coming home.
As for the hardcore fans (I’m somewhere in between – TNG was my thing growing up), I think you’ll like it. I saw Into Darkness with the president of AusTrek, the Australian Star Trek Club. Afterwards, he was grinning ear to e

Read more: Star Trek Into Darkness review - Story - Entertainment - 3 News http://www.3news.co.nz/Star-Trek-Into-D ... z2RTquxJ6x

And this really great one from GIZMODO Australia (I'll just give you the link, because the author did a really nice job with the layout!!) http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/04/star-trek-into-darkness-the-gizmodo-australia-review/

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Iceman on Thu May 30, 2013 1:14 am

It was good.

Of course, it was good in 1982 when they did the exact same thing in Wrath of Khan. But thats Lindelof for you ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Sym on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:58 pm

After 7 years
I managed to love this movie :PP :PP :PP :rofl: :rofl:
http://twitter.com/symsoa
I just wanted to see what's in the land across the sea.*Lost4ever*
Sons Of Anarchy is my faith