Thor (Marvel)

Spoiler discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Thor (Marvel)

Postby Iceman on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:26 am

It looks like Gilderoy Lockhart (Kenneth Branagh :P ) is set to direct.

Branagh in talks to direct 'Thor'
Brit set to wield hammer on Marvel Studios pic

Kenneth Branagh is negotiating to direct "Thor," the next Marvel Comics property that will be turned into a live-action film by Marvel Studios. Pic will be released in 2010.
Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige's choice of Branagh is surprising, as Branagh hasn't really directed an action-heavy film since his debut on "Henry V," a bloody telling of the British king's conquest of France.

Branagh is the latest in a string of directors -- such as Jon Favreau ("Iron Man"), Christopher Nolan (the Batman franchise) and Gavin Hood ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine") -- with arthouse roots taking on big-budget comicbook fare.

Marvel will set a distributor for "Thor" shortly.

"Thor" comicbook adaptation, penned by Mark Protosevich, follows disabled medical student Donald Blake, who has an alter ego as the hammer-wielding Norse god Thor.

Marvel will self-finance the film via its $500 million credit facility through Merrill Lynch. Marvel used that coin to fund both "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk" and will do the same for the "Iron Man" sequel that has director Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr. returning.

The "Thor" negotiations come during a resurgence for Branagh. He's currently drawing raves on the London stage in the title role of "Ivanov," and he'll next be seen acting in the Richard Curtis-directed "The Boat That Rocked" and the Bryan Singer-helmed "Valkyrie."

Branagh is repped by Endeavor and manager Judy Hofflund.

Source: Variety
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Thor (Marvel)

Postby Iceman on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:59 pm

Here is a casting update:

Apparently Daniel Craig was approached to play Thor and he turned it down.

From IESB.net:

James Bond has invaded Beverly Hills today with stars Daniel Craig and Olga Kurylenko and director Mark Forster attending the press day for the 22nd Bond film Quantum of Solace.

IESB's Robert Sanchez talked with both Olga and Daniel, who actually had a bit to say about another widely known hero, THOR, who is currently set up over at MARVEL for a 2010 release with Kenneth Branagh attached to direct.

IESB asked if Craig was interested in doing something a little different character-wise, like Thor?

Craig said no, he turned it down and laughed about it.

Sanchez continued, “seriously, I heard the folks over at Marvel had you on a short list to be Thor.”

Craig said yes they [Marvel] did approach him but he turned it down. He added jokingly, it would have been too much of a power trip, both Bond and Thor, and running around with long hair and a hammer.

Personally I think they would have had to use some major CGI to make Craig look bigger and taller, THOR was by no means a small man, not to say Craig is either, but his stature certainly doesn't fit the bill.

The search for THOR continues!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Brookie on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Hmmm, I love Marvel comics and the movies they've put out, but I don't know about Thor. Not digging it so far. And considering Daniel Craig for the part?! Don't get me wrong, the guy is in good shape and all, but he's not the muscular beefcake you'd need for a role like that I wouldn't think. Didn't Arnold play him before? :P
Brookie---keeper of the Sacred Doritos and defender of the Cake :pirate:
Brookie
Former Staff Member

Postby Iceman on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Brookie wrote:Hmmm, I love Marvel comics and the movies they've put out, but I don't know about Thor. Not digging it so far. And considering Daniel Craig for the part?! Don't get me wrong, the guy is in good shape and all, but he's not the muscular beefcake you'd need for a role like that I wouldn't think. Didn't Arnold play him before? :P

No, the character you are thinking of, that Arnold played, was Conan The Barbarian. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Brookie on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:38 am

Iceman815 wrote:
Brookie wrote:Hmmm, I love Marvel comics and the movies they've put out, but I don't know about Thor. Not digging it so far. And considering Daniel Craig for the part?! Don't get me wrong, the guy is in good shape and all, but he's not the muscular beefcake you'd need for a role like that I wouldn't think. Didn't Arnold play him before? :P

No, the character you are thinking of, that Arnold played, was Conan The Barbarian. :)

Yes! That's it! Gah, thank you. :lol:
Brookie---keeper of the Sacred Doritos and defender of the Cake :pirate:
Brookie
Former Staff Member

Postby Highdicesugar on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:01 pm

It's a shame Vincent D'Onofrio is older now, His part as Thor in Adventures in Babysitting was one of my favorites.

I could see Vinnie Jones playing Thor.
Here we go...Here we go...Here we go, Steelers here we go! Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl.
Highdicesugar
Stunt Double

Postby Iceman on Sat May 16, 2009 11:46 pm

Chris Hemsworth has Officially been Cast as Thor.

It looks like we finally have our Thor! After months and months of casting rumors, Nikki Finke at Deadline Hollywood is reporting that Australian actor Chris Hemsworth has been cast as the Norse God of Thunder. You may not know Hemsworth by name yet, but if you've seen Star Trek, you know his face - he played Kirk's father George Kirk in the opening of that movie. Finke says that he got the role through some insistence on the part of his agent, and once he got on tape for a reading the second time, he was in. Hemsworth also scored the lead role in MGM's remake of Red Dawn that's also in development this year.

For the last few months, we've heard details off and on about who might play the role of Thor. The fan favorite all along has been Kevin McKidd, but then it was rumored in March that Alexander Skarsgård had been given the role. But now Finke confirms that Hemsworth has indeed been given the role. If I can say one thing, I loved that opening, and although he didn't have many lines, Hemsworth pulled off a great opening performance, and I can't wait to see what he does in a lead role. The last we heard, a few weeks ago, Kenneth Branagh was spending the rest of the year in pre-production with a start date set for January next year.

Source: First Showing
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby zeek on Sun May 17, 2009 12:15 am

Ermm... :|

Really? That guy?

Is he really big enough, physically?
zeek
Emmy Winner

Postby Iceman on Sun May 17, 2009 1:09 am

zeek wrote:Ermm... :|

Really? That guy?

Is he really big enough, physically?

He is good for when Thor is in "human form" as Donald Blake. I guess they can CGI him Hagrid-Style for when he is "God Form"
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby bonniesrg on Sun May 17, 2009 3:47 am

Hmmmmm I think I will have to watch this movie now. :wub:
Highdicesugar wrote:It's a shame Vincent D'Onofrio is older now, His part as Thor in Adventures in Babysitting was one of my favorites.

Agreed, I loved him in that part.
bonniesrg
Stunt Double

Postby zeek on Sun May 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Iceman815 wrote:He is good for when Thor is in "human form" as Donald Blake. I guess they can CGI him Hagrid-Style for when he is "God Form"

I suppose... should be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm hoping it's got a touch of art house about it :)
zeek
Emmy Winner

Postby JediChewy on Sun May 17, 2009 3:35 pm

ENOUGH with the comic book/action hero movies already!! I'm so tired of them.
May The Force Be With You!
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby Iceman on Sun May 17, 2009 3:41 pm

JediChewy wrote:ENOUGH with the comic book/action hero movies already!! I'm so tired of them.

They make a lot of money, and people enjoy them. They are not going to stop.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby JediChewy on Sun May 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Iceman815 wrote:
JediChewy wrote:ENOUGH with the comic book/action hero movies already!! I'm so tired of them.

They make a lot of money, and people enjoy them. They are not going to stop.

Actually it's more like they have nothing else to make because for example SpeedRacer didn't make that much money and not everyone likes every comic movie out there. I didn't like a few.
May The Force Be With You!
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby The Strog on Sun May 17, 2009 7:35 pm

You, sir, are an intelligent man with excellent tastes.
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Next

Return to Movies - Spoilers