Movie Cup: LA Confidential vs. Shawshank Redemption CLOSED

General discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Which Best Picture-nominated drama do you prefer?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 am

L.A. Confidential (1997, Curtis Hanson)
7%
7%
7%
7%
The Shawshank Redemption (1994, Frank Darabont)
18%
18%
18%
18%

Total votes : 84

Movie Cup: LA Confidential vs. Shawshank Redemption CLOSED

Postby Luhks on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:30 am

Current Poll: In the Oscar Snub Bracket, two 1990s crime dramas with almost exclusively male casts. L.A. Confidential could have won Best Picture in any number of years, but it suffered the misfortune of being released in 1997, the year of Titanic. Although the movie did not stand a chance to win the top Oscar prize of the year, it became an audience favorite with perhaps an even greater legacy. The labyrinth story of police corruption in 1950s Los Angeles revolves around a trio of cops played Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, and Guy Pearce. The outstanding cast, along with an Oscar-winning screenplay based on James Ellroy's novel, combined to produce Hollywood's best noir mystery since Chinatown. The Shawshank Redemption faced a similarly daunting group of challengers in 1994, stacked up against the blockbuster success of Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction. Frank Darabont adapted a short story by Stephen King into a mammoth prison drama. Shawshank's universally-appealing tale of human suffering, starring and narrated by the great Morgan Freeman, grew into an undeniable classic as time passed. Currently, the film occupies the number 1 spot with the highest average user rating on the Internet Movie Database, narrowly edging The Godfather.

L.A. Confidential (1997)
Directed by: Curtis Hanson
Written by: James Ellroy (novel), Brian Helgeland, Curtis Hanson
Starring: Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kim Bassinger, James Cromwell, David Straitharn, Danny DeVito
Academy Awards: 2 wins, Best Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay; 7 nominations, Best Picture, Director, Film Editing, Cinematography, Original Score, Sound, Art Direction
Best Picture from 1997: Titanic from James Cameron
IMDB Ranking: #66; TPSDT Ranking: #486

Come to Los Angeles! The sun shines bright, the beaches are wide and inviting, and the orange groves stretch as far as the eye can see. There are jobs aplenty, and land is cheap. Every working man can have his own house, and inside every house, a happy, all-American family. You can have all this, and who knows... you could even be discovered, become a movie star... or at least see one. Life is good in Los Angeles... it's paradise on Earth." Ha ha ha ha. That's what they tell you, anyway.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Directed by: Frank Darabont
Written by: Stephen King (short story) and Frank Darabont
Starring: Morgan Freeman, Tim Robbins, Bob Gunton, Clancy Brown, William Sadler
Academy Awards: 7 nominations, Best Picture, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing, Cinematography, Original Score, Sound
Best Picture from 1994: Forrest Gump from Robert Zemeckis
IMDB Ranking: #1; TPSDT Ranking: #563; AFI Ranking: #72

The first night's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in naked as the day you were born, skin burning and half blind from that delousing **** they throw on you, and when they put you in that cell... and those bars slam home... that's when you know it's for real. A whole life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it.

Next Poll: Two fantasy films to finish the Oscar Snub Bracket.
Last edited by Luhks on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luhks
Supporting Actor

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Ultimate Movie Cup: LA Confidential vs. Shawshank Redemption

Postby Finli Otego on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:41 am

Oh man. These are two of the most brilliant films of the 90's. This one's tough....
I think I have to go with The Shawshank Redemption, being a loyal Constant Reader. It is, arguably, the best King adaptation ever made. And the story is proof that he can write more than just spooky stories. He can write heartfelt character dramas, too. Darabont has adapted three of his best stories, and all three turned out to be wonderful.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Brookie on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:42 am

Ah frick another tough choice for me. I love BOTH of these films. However, Shawshank has long been my favorite movie ever, so I'm going to have to go with that one FTW. :thumbup:
Brookie---keeper of the Sacred Doritos and defender of the Cake :pirate:
Brookie
Former Staff Member

Postby Joshua on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:01 am

it is ALL about the Shawshank!
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Luhks on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:12 am

I voted for L.A. Confidential, even though both films are great.
Luhks
Supporting Actor

Postby Finli Otego on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:14 am

Luhks wrote:I voted for L.A. Confidential, even though both films are great.

It's hard voting against that film for anything, it's such a perfect Crime Drama. But I had to go with my gut. I've been forced to do that many times so far. God, the next stages are gonna be brutal.

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Brookie on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:24 am

Finli Otego wrote:It's hard voting against that film for anything, it's such a perfect Crime Drama.

Exactly. I haven't seen any other Crime Drama that has so completely captivated me and left me guessing almost up to the end. Terrific in all respects. The only reason it didn't get my vote was b/c it was up against my favorite movie of all time. :(
Brookie---keeper of the Sacred Doritos and defender of the Cake :pirate:
Brookie
Former Staff Member

Postby Finli Otego on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:33 am

One of the few scenes in a movie that can make me a little misty-eyed:
"Dear fellas, I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw an automobile once when I was a kid, but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry. The parole board got me into this halfway house called "The Brewer" and a job bagging groceries at the Foodway. It's hard work and I try to keep up, but my hands hurt most of the time. I don't think the store manager likes me very much. Sometimes after work, I go to the park and feed the birds. I keep thinking Jake might just show up and say hello, but he never does. I hope wherever he is, he's okay and makin' new friends. I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm falling. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a gun, an, an rob the Foodway so they'd send me home. I could shoot the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense any more. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for an old crook like me."

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby mom on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:43 am

Shawshank Redemption :cool:

Thanks to zeek for the most awesome signature!
mom
Emmy Nominee

Location: In the sky with Lucy visting Sadie hope I don`t get a ticket from Rita.

Postby DharmaFlashes08 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:49 am

Shawshank. Absolutely no contest.

Darabont also did the Green Mile, another amazing film adaption for a Stephen King novel.
DharmaFlashes08
Show Expert

Postby NIGHTWIN6 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:53 am

Shawshank Redemption. I have yet to see L.A. Confidential (I know, I really have to get on that) but I just couldn`t not vote for Shawshank.

For the two fantasy movies rounding up the Oscar Snub bracket, I`m guessing LOTR: The Two Towers is one of them and I can`t think of another Oscar nominated fantasy film, but I will guess Star Wars. Oh, or maybe the Wizard of Oz.
NIGHTWIN6
Stunt Double

Postby brentoid on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:30 pm

tough one again... i love both the films...

i'm choosing shawshank however...as i feel its a better / more faithful version of the source material...

if anyone here has read ellroys book la confidential, you'll know what i mean... they had to change the story to fit the film, i know this, but imho, they did several characters a misjustice...

dont read the spoiler text if you havent read the book... seriously... the book is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
dudley smith doesnt die in the book, he gets away with it, and lives on until the next book white jazz... and exleys reason for joining the force is a lot more elaborate... his brother dies that much is in the film but it ties in with an old murder case his dad had investigated... lots of dismembered bodies...there's no rolo tomazzi in the book...and exley ends up going out with the rape victim inez...who then cheats on him with bud white

despite the brilliance of the film, these things grated on me a little bit... and the fact it is the middle book in what is effectively a trilogy set in LA... it would be better suited to a tv show imho... more time to tie all the strands together..

as for shawshank... there's no fault i could find with that film... and it made me cry like a kid with a skinned knee when they met up on the beach at the end...
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby b3rt4 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:21 pm

LA Confidential

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Iceman on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Shawshank

Most Definitely :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby CaseyCasey87 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:27 pm

LA confidential is a great film, but IMO nothing compared to Shawshank
"HE IS BOB, EAGER FOR FUN.... WEARS A SMILE, EVERYBODY RUN...."- Phillip Gerrard

Either Conuley or against us basically...

I have a tiny font size
CaseyCasey87
Emmy Nominee

Next

Return to Movies - General