The Hurt Locker...

General discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

The Hurt Locker...

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:56 pm

I've seen The Hurt Locker three times overall, and I like the movie. I am a bit curious though as to why exactly it earned Best Picture at the Oscars. Personally, I thought Inglourious Basterds was WAY better and more deserving. At it's core, this movie is basically about an adrenaline junky disposing of bombs in Iraq...in my opinion. There is a serious lack of character development. We learn very, very little about any of the characters' motivations. When we do get a little insight into Renner's James' life....all we get is that he has a wife and kid..and that he is totally unhappy in life unless he is risking his life. Personally, I would have gone from liking the film to LOVING the film if we had just gotten some insight as to why James was so reckless and willing to risk his and his fellow soldiers' lives. Am I the only one with this complaint? Also....the title....The Hurt Locker...what is a hurt locker? It never talks about it in the movie at all...unless you count the part at the start after Guy Pierce's character dies.

The reason I started this thread....certainly not to bash it because I DID like it. I just don't see why it as seen as so great....is to get everyone else's opinion on it.

So....Why was it deserving of Best Picture? Why was it not?
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: The Hurt Locker...

Postby vader182 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:38 am

Because for the last ten years, the oscars have basically been completely irrelevant and 100% politics. That is coming from somebody who is a massive movie buff, and also found Hurt Locker horribly overrated. it's a pretty good film for what it is, but... I hate how everybody says it's this great character film, and it's this objective war film and doesn't take a side.

...It shows the total frenzy and chaos of war and what it does to people. Just like every other war film. After completing it, (to paraphrase Michael Moore who made one point I agree with) it's not like I'm thinking whooopie!! let's go to war for another seven years! Maybe I'll join!
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
We will be found in the end. 5.23.10

My theory that explains the whole show: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19711&hilit=the+light+side+of+the+force
sXe
vader182
Emmy Nominee

Postby kristy815 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 am

I think you're right. It was a good movie - I didn't feel like I wasted my time watching it. But I've seen better.

I thought if there was character development it lay in his connection with the Iraqi boy - not in his connection with the people back home. Because he didn't seem to even have much of a connection with the people back home - it was like he was so disconnected from their world that they weren't even real to him. What was real to him was the little boy that he saw every day - not the one he had a vague memory of back home.

He allowed himself one human connection. And when he thought he lost it, it sent him into an even worse self-destructive phase than before. And finally he seemed to realize that although going home meant nothing to him - to the other guys in his unit it meant everything.

And I thought there at the end that maybe he realized that if he didn't go, someone else would have to go that did have real connections to the people they'd leave behind. It wasn't that he believed in the war effort itself - but that he did grasp that he wasn't sacrificing as much to go as whoever was out there doing his job while he was struggling to stay afloat in the supermarket.

But I probably missed the point altogether.
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Postby Sym on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 am

Not liked the movie. :thumbsdown:
Not deserved Oscar. :thumbsdown:
It is a very boring film. :thumbsdown:
TVSHOWTIME PROFILE
https://www.tvtime.com/en/user/6964315/profile
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/D0bT8qRW/Screenshot-6.jpg[img]

We are the rejected,the humiliated,we are the outcasts.We are the monsters that you created #TheFinal
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:53 pm

kristy815 wrote:I think you're right. It was a good movie - I didn't feel like I wasted my time watching it. But I've seen better.

I thought if there was character development it lay in his connection with the Iraqi boy - not in his connection with the people back home. Because he didn't seem to even have much of a connection with the people back home - it was like he was so disconnected from their world that they weren't even real to him. What was real to him was the little boy that he saw every day - not the one he had a vague memory of back home.

He allowed himself one human connection. And when he thought he lost it, it sent him into an even worse self-destructive phase than before. And finally he seemed to realize that although going home meant nothing to him - to the other guys in his unit it meant everything.

And I thought there at the end that maybe he realized that if he didn't go, someone else would have to go that did have real connections to the people they'd leave behind. It wasn't that he believed in the war effort itself - but that he did grasp that he wasn't sacrificing as much to go as whoever was out there doing his job while he was struggling to stay afloat in the supermarket.

But I probably missed the point altogether.

I agree with what you said, but I would have loved to get some insight as to why he was the way he was. Why was he so willing to walk in to his possible death with no concern for himself of for his fellow soldiers. What made him that way? I would have liked some insight into the other characters as well...and it doesn't take much time to develop these characters a little bit. It just felt lazy to me.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Return to Movies - General