[Official] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:Part II

General discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:Part II

Postby Dreyesbo on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Opens: July 15
Rotten Tomatoes Rating so far: 98% (197 positive; 5 negative)

Starring, in order of appearance: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Ralph Fiennes, Michael Gambon, Alan Rickman, Evanna Lynch, Domhnall Gleeson, Clémence Poésy, Warwick Davis, John Hurt, Helena Bonham Carter, Kelly Macdonald, Jason Isaacs, Helen McCrory, Tom Felton, Ciarán Hinds, Matthew Lewis, Devon Murray, Jessie Cave, Afshan Azad, Isabella Laughland, Anna Shaffer, Georgina Leonidas, Freddie Stroma, Alfie Enoch, Katie Leung, William Melling, Bonnie Wright, Ralph Ineson, Suzanne Toase, Maggie Smith, Jim Broadbent, Scarlett Byrne, Josh Herdman, Louis Cordice, Miriam Margoyles, Gemma Jones, George Harris, David Thewlis, Julie Walters, Mark Williams, James Phelps, Oliver Phelps, Chris Rankin, David Bradley, Guy Henry, Nick Moran, Natalia Tena, Dave Legeno, Emma Thompson, Timothy Spall, Robbie Coltrane, Gary Oldman, Geraldine Somerville, Adrian Rawlins.
Director: David Yates
Plot: The final chapter begins as Harry, Ron, and Hermione continue their quest of finding and destroying the Dark Lord's three remaining Horcruxes, the magical items responsible for his immortality. But as the mystical Deathly Hallows are uncovered, and Voldemort finds out about their mission, the biggest battle begins and life as they know it will never be the same again.

SpoilerTV Page

Theatrical Trailer
Official Site
IMDb Page
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:Part II

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 pm

I post this here, a week before it's released (several countries in Europe are releasing it the 13th), to start the discussion now on the series that has arguably dominated the decade. What are your wishes, expectations, and thoughts on the final chapter?

Keep in mind, this is a non-spoiler discussion until the 15th, even if you've read the books. If you wish to discuss the movie in a spoiler way check out this thread. If you want to discuss the book series itself, check out this one.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Woongo on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:16 pm

I am extremely excited! It's like LOST finale all over again.

I did my rewatch of all 7 movies last week, so I'm more than ready. I really want to see how will remaining part of the book will be adapted to the big screen. From what I've seen in the trailers, there are a few parts that are different (and that's in the trailers only), but I hope it will all turn out well.

By the way guys, are you planning to watch it in 3D or 2D? I'm rooting for 2D, but my friends probably will want 3D, so I'll have to live with that :D
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby Leroi22 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:52 pm

I am super pumped for this!! The trailers look flat out epic! Yeah, they have changed some things but from what I can tell they made good choices in what they have changed:

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
From what I know, the whole Voldemort/Harry fight is extended and has been drawn out to be more epic instead of just talking. Ron and Hermione are shown in the Chamber of Secrets and they have their kiss alone and uninterrupted by Harry, lol. Harry actually confronts Snape in the Great Hall in front of the whole school, I am GLAD they added this...from what I have seen it looks super intense. And supposedly, McGonagall is a total bada** in this movie, which I am ecstatic to see!

That is all that I know so far, this could very well be my favorite of all the Potter films.
Leroi22
Supporting Actor

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:09 pm

I too am Super Excited! :thumbsup: (getting ready to change my avatar again!) It's so hard to believe all of that time has passed!! :w00t: I don't think there will be anything quite like it for a long long time.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Heiots on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:12 pm

I'm really looking forward to Alan Rickman's and Helena Bonham-Carter's parts in this. They play two of my favourite characters. :D
:flowers: Caution: All Juliet related :flowers:
My Fanfiction My YT Videos My Art
Heiots
Star Billing

Postby Leroi22 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywkKGlHUlE&feature=channel_video_t%20itle

Here is a cool video of some celebrity's talking about their experiences with the Harry Potter saga! Great stuff!
Leroi22
Supporting Actor

Postby Dreyesbo on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Woongo wrote:By the way guys, are you planning to watch it in 3D or 2D? I'm rooting for 2D, but my friends probably will want 3D, so I'll have to live with that :D

I'm doing 3D, because that's the only way to watch it on midnight where I live :/ But from what I've heard, is non-intrusive. My only fear is it darkening the screen even more from an already dark film (but visually and thematically).

Leroi22 wrote:I am super pumped for this!! The trailers look flat out epic! Yeah, they have changed some things but from what I can tell they made good choices in what they have changed:

I agree that most changes look good! The biggest departure might irk some fans, but I think (from what I've heard) that it works. The book's climax was perfect for the books, but couldn't work in cinematic form.

DarthLocke wrote:I too am Super Excited! :thumbsup: (getting ready to change my avatar again!) It's so hard to believe all of that time has passed!! :w00t: I don't think there will be anything quite like it for a long long time.

Haha, I'm not one for changing my avatar/signature much, but I thought this even warranted it :P
Heiots wrote:I'm really looking forward to Alan Rickman's and Helena Bonham-Carter's parts in this. They play two of my favourite characters. :D

Alan Rickman is class! Previous films have under-used him, but he'll finally get his due here. And HBC is pitch-perfect as Bellatrix too.

Leroi22 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywkKGlHUlE&feature=channel_video_t%20itle

Here is a cool video of some celebrity's talking about their experiences with the Harry Potter saga! Great stuff!

Thanks for sharing! This shows even more how universal the saga is! :thumbsup:

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Dreyesbo on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:52 am

Just want to note that the critical review has been great so far :D I've been reading a lot of reviews, some of which don't count towards the Tomatometer, and there's still no negative ones. 35 positive, 0 negative so far ;)

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Heiots on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Do you have the links to all the reviews? :D
Heiots
Star Billing

Postby Dreyesbo on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Here they are :) Beware of some spoilers: http://harrypotterforum.com/discussion/ ... negative-0

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Heiots on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:34 pm

I welcome all spoilers. Besides, I've read the book. :lol:
Heiots
Star Billing

Postby Dreyesbo on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:37 pm

It finally opens tonight at midnight from some countries, most of them European ones. Enjoy! And come back here to discuss :D

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby sjorsman on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm going tonight, so I'll tell you my opinion tomorrow!!
sjorsman
Show Expert

Postby sjorsman on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:47 pm

So I've seen it!!:D

It really is a great movie, lot of action and funny moments:P
But I don't think its a good movie on its own. So I suggest if you watch you should watch part 1 first. That way you get the whole movie. Because part 2 isnt really a movie on its own because it doesnt have a build up story. It just finishes where part 1 left of. So for the ultimate experience just watch them both, but keep in mind that then you'll be watching almost 6 hours of Harry Potter:D Be prepared!!

Furthermore were the battles great. Awesome effects and nice to watch.
There's only one thing I didnt like. Sometimes between the battles there were serious story moments and I didn't think the editing there was that great. Sometimes there were moments of silence when there shouldnt be and when it was supposed to be very sad it almost became funny:D So there was no good balance.
Just check Voldemort's weird laugh if you watch it, then you know what I mean!:D

On the other hand was the whole flashback part from Snape's past awesome! Exactly how you would imagine it!

So a great movie, but with some flaws! But that's to be expected from Harry Potter movies!
7,5/10

If you watch it, please give me your opinion about the flashforward at the end of the movie:D
sjorsman
Show Expert

Next

Return to Movies - General