Star Trek (2009)

General discussion of movies.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: Star Trek (2009)

Postby Stintfang on Sun May 10, 2009 5:59 pm

yes, it was in nearly every scene. I wouldn't complain if they would have appeared from time to time. But it was really obvious that they have been added in post-production to give it a "shiny" look.
I hate it when FX are ruined by some overused repeated effects.
Back in the eighties somebody invented lensflares for CGI. Suddenly everybody used this as a "cool" effect. You can use this once in a film because under normal conditions it is a mistake of the camera operator and the lighting team. But it's rather annoying to incorporate errors too often.

I must say too that I am sick of camera jiggles when a spaceship or heavy monster passes the camera. There is no air in space that can shiver your camera. The best effects are subtle effects!

There are still TV series and movies using lens flares. But mostly very subtle.
Unfortunately the Startrek movie has lost - ahem lots of artificial overexposed and "blinded by lights" scenes which might be intended to create a new "look". But it annoys me. Sorry.

But beside this. the movie is absolutely great and I will watch it again.
Stintfang
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Joshua on Sun May 10, 2009 6:33 pm

No need to apologise!! :D

I do see where you're coming from though. Maybe I just didn't notice how frequent they were :)
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby JediChewy on Mon May 11, 2009 1:27 am

So being a huge fan of Star Trek especially The Original Series, I would say this is a pretty decent film....exciting....I didn't like the use of future/present time travel....but I guess this is JJ's trade mark having LOST being all about that too.

At any rate, this movie is probably best for people who weren't a Star Trek Fan or at least not of the original series before, because it can get kinda redundant(for lack of better word) when you've come from knowing the characters well and their background well, and then for it to be spewed out into a movie (recalling Star Wars Prequels)...oh and hmmmm...I don't recall Uhura having any relationship with Spock. Was that just a way to give Uhura scenes?? And Spock's mom dead...hmmm she is alive in the original series...

But aside from that, I am so glad McCoy wasn't ruined. He's my favorite character and Urban did not bad a job. He was probably the most like the original of them all. I am still deciding on the others, but I won't be so harsh. JJ tried his best and I think he is most afraid of boring the audience, hence the camera jiggling we all remember from Cloverfield. JJ also mentioned he is more of a Star Wars fan growing up so I can see a bit of "star warsy"(george lucas term) in this film such as Fencing scene with Sulu and Spaceship action, warp speeds, etc.
Overall, Star Trek was enjoyable.
May The Force Be With You!
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon May 11, 2009 1:48 am

Well, the timeline changed, so Uhura CAN have the relationship with Spock. And from what I've heard, Vulcan was destroyed in the film (I haven't watched it), and it didn't happened in the Original Series. So anything can happen now :PP
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby JediChewy on Mon May 11, 2009 3:32 am

Which is why the whole time traveling story plot was risky in weaving everything we knew in. A LOT has changed actually to what was previously known in this alternative universe but I can see why, they need to "quicken" things in the movie and hopes for sequels.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby hmbb on Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 am

Watched it twice and loved both Bones and Scotty. They were so great and true to the original characters. I think that they did the whole time travel back and change the future thing so that they could take liberties with upcoming scripts\storylines and explain it all as Nero changed time so anything can happen now. In a way that kind of sucks for die-hard fans of the original series, but then again it opens up a whole new story angle that can be explored. Zachary Quinto was ok as Spock but I still saw a lot of 'Sylar' quirks in him that weren't in Spock. Or maybe it's just me being a Hero's fan.
But I was totally impressed that JJ Abrams didn't royally screw it up like I expected. (being a anti-sequel, anti-prequel, ant-remake type of person).
hmbb
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Mon May 11, 2009 1:46 pm

I am a huge fan of Star Trek.
I grew up with the series Classical ToS.
I am one of those many people who define Trekkers (to be precise I am a Q)

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
vote: 6
ok I admit the first 10 minutes I managed to cry. :whistle:
Where do I rank this the worst of all the films of Star trek. :thumbsdown:
Abrams I was very disappointed, :thumbsdown: the story, copied from some Lost, :sneaky: some of the same star trek, the charter changed .... no not what I call Star Trek.
TVSHOWTIME PROFILE
https://www.tvtime.com/en/user/6964315/profile
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/D0bT8qRW/Screenshot-6.jpg[img]

We are the rejected,the humiliated,we are the outcasts.We are the monsters that you created #TheFinal
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby JediChewy on Tue May 12, 2009 12:01 am

The movie is for NON Star Trek fans. Those that don't know and won't be royally disappointed that the characters are now totally screwed up. I mean seriously it's weird having 2 Spocks in one time period but I was watching Star Trek in LOST collision..... I think JJ wants his own audience. Oh and yes I did see Sylar twitches in Spock....a big no-no. :scared:
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby bonniesrg on Tue May 12, 2009 6:49 am

JediChewy wrote:I don't recall Uhura having any relationship with Spock. Was that just a way to give Uhura scenes??

In a UK show where someone talked to the cast Nichelle Nicholls said that the Uhura/Kirk kiss was originally Spock/Uhura until Mr Shatner decided that it would be Kirk that kissed her.
And I saw a clip of TOS on Youtube where it did seem that Uhura was flirting with Spock a bit.

I'm a longtime Trek fan and thought that JJ did great justice to these characters, the differences to the timeline is explained by the changed past which I'm fine with and the characters personalities were captured well.

I hardly noticed the lense flares as I was so caught up in the movie, and I thought they were a nice touch. They are more noticeable in the bigger cinema's, I've seen it twice once at the Premiere where the screen was big and the flares were clearer, but when I saw it at my local cinema on the normal release date they weren't as clear.
bonniesrg
Stunt Double

Postby mrpopcorn on Tue May 12, 2009 3:46 pm

They decided to go with the timeline angle here so as to give the writers more legspace for the planned sequels and such. Oh and I was surprised the Old Spock - Young Spock encounter didn't create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe!
mrpopcorn
Supporting Actor

Postby Iceman on Tue May 12, 2009 4:03 pm

mrpopcorn wrote: create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Sandiwich11 on Tue May 12, 2009 4:52 pm

bonniesrg wrote:
JediChewy wrote:I don't recall Uhura having any relationship with Spock. Was that just a way to give Uhura scenes??

In a UK show where someone talked to the cast Nichelle Nicholls said that the Uhura/Kirk kiss was originally Spock/Uhura until Mr Shatner decided that it would be Kirk that kissed her.
And I saw a clip of TOS on Youtube where it did seem that Uhura was flirting with Spock a bit.

Yeah the story goes that Shatner wanted to steal the limelight and be involved in the first televised interracial kiss so he made them change the script from Spock to Kirk, even thou it made little sense. :(

I hardly noticed the lense flares as I was so caught up in the movie, and I thought they were a nice touch. They are more noticeable in the bigger cinema's, I've seen it twice once at the Premiere where the screen was big and the flares were clearer, but when I saw it at my local cinema on the normal release date they weren't as clear.

I think the scene where it really started to bug me was when the two Spocks finally met, it just seemed out of place.

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby mrpopcorn on Tue May 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Iceman815 wrote:
mrpopcorn wrote: create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe!

:lol:

miss that dude.
mrpopcorn
Supporting Actor

Postby JediChewy on Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 pm

OH I was so thinking Back to the Future paradox when I saw the 2 Spocks. Poor Doc Brown, maybe he needs to read up on LOST Faraday's manual regarding Time Travel.

As for the Uhura relationship, I never saw her really flirting with anyone on the show. Maybe they did with her.... And that show where Kirk and Uhura kissed was a force beyond their control hee hee... However I always thought Spock and Dr. Chapel had a "thing". She seemed to care an awful a lot about him especially when he was going through that hyper Vulcan Phase.

There are a lot of "obvious" things that went into this film such as throwing all our favorite characters so quickly into one basket that seemed unrealistic. But for the most part, it was like Back To the Future/Lost/Star Wars movie. I'm still thinking "where are the lightsabers?" during the Sulu/Kirk fighting Romulan scenes.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby bonniesrg on Thu May 14, 2009 9:07 pm

sandi wrote:
bonniesrg wrote:

Yeah the story goes that Shatner wanted to steal the limelight and be involved in the first televised interracial kiss so he made them change the script from Spock to Kirk, even thou it made little sense. :(

I did like something about it though, Nichelle said the director or someone wanted to scrape the kiss as they were panicked about people being outraged. They decided to film it both ways, but they only realized at the last minute that Mr Shatner ruined the non-kissing shot by looking at the camera or something so they had to use the kissing one. I found that very funny. :lol:
bonniesrg
Stunt Double

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - General