Season 7 - Episode 4 - Defending your Life

Spoiler discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Postby trackerem on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:21 pm

A major writer posted something about about delving deeper into the why of Dean's drinking. I think delving into what makes him no drink would be a better direction! :hmm:
trackerem
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Season 7 - Episode 4 - Defending your Life

Postby Ruth78 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm so disappointed if they're going to go down that road :-(

It means things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, and at this stage I really don't know how much longer I want to stick with it.
Ruth78
Viewer

Postby CLDeangrl on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm disappointed too, but maybe if they're delving into the why it will help him to start getting past it. Kind of like they had to get Sam through his addiction to demon blood...maybe they can do the same for Dean. That would be cool.

I really don't think the why is all that big a mystery, though...it's a painkiller, plain and simple. He drinks so he doesn't have to deal with all of the crap he's carrying around. He started it when he got back from Hell and was feeling guilty about having tortured people...so he bascially started torturing himself with alcohol. Does there really need to be a deeper reason?
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby trackerem on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:40 pm

As others have said, no one wants a Supernatural AA! I certainly don't! We know they drink to excess, will continue to drink to excess but they kill things for a living!!! If the writers focus just a tiny bit on Dean's psyche, that might work otherwise, a can of worms!
trackerem
Show Expert

Postby CLDeangrl on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:48 pm

No, nobody wants a Supernatural AA but neither do we want either of the guys turned into a raging alcoholic and that seems to be the turn they've taken with Dean. As I said, it's understandable that the life they lead would open you up to drinking as a way of dulling the pain, but Sam and Dean have always been pretty smart about things, no matter how painful it's gotten. I just don't like the idea that they're pushing Dean overboard now and I wish they'd reel it back in a little, that's all.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:00 pm

I think folks are over reacting to the drinking. I sure hope they are. I do not need the show becoming a soap box for alcoholics.
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Can't speak for anyone else, I was just focusing on the drinking as a part of the overall stance the writers have taken with Dean...it's all part of the hand-wringing, woe is me approach and I hate the whole thing so I just hope they ease up on all of it. I just want my kick ass Dean back!
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Ruth78 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Seems as though it IS going to be a feature :-(

I'm wondering if the people behind the show develop these ideas based on feedback they receive from fans who attend the conventions and such like? I mean are those of us who hate the idea and want to move on from angsty Dean, in a tiny minority?
There are other things I'm not happy about, but they'd be considered spoilers so I'll say no more.

Just :( and :cursing:
Ruth78
Viewer

Return to Supernatural Spoilers